mtbr member

strange / unusual comments you get on your lights ?

when i put 10 lights on my bike including some that are very bright or flashy i knew i would get comments - but the comments i am actually getting are not what i expected !

i'm also getting a lot more comments in general than i expected. i think most of the comments are with respect to my helmet and spoke lights because those are the ones people don't see often. most people are used to a bar light and a seat post blinky by comparison. the bar end lights also seem to be getting a lot of attention despite their low power.

the most common thing i am hearing is ...

" is that a cop ? "

i swear ! i get this comment on average 2 - 3 times PER RIDE !

this is one commment i never expected to hear, but it's the one i am hearing about as often as all the others combined.

now every time i pass cops i feel nervous if they may decide i'm impersonating them or something.

another comment that i often get is ...

" i can't seeeee youuuuu "

generally i was surprised that most people see my lights as safety devices and have a positive attitude towards my lighting - i expected most people to think i am a nutcase. maybe that IS what most people think, but if they do, apparently they choose to keep their thoughts to themselves while the ones who actually do comment are almost all positive ( with the exception of some drivers who flash their headlights in disapproval of my headlight being too bright ).

are you surprised by the comments you get from people ?

Merendon Junkie
    "da fuuuuq" is a fairly common comment I hear.

mtbr member

:P

mtbr member
    On almost every road ride some Yahoo will drive by, hang their head out the window and say something. Then there are people who will just give a simple positive comment like, "Nice bike"or "Wow, I could see you half a mile away". It just goes with the territory I suppose. On occasion though you do see odd behavior. This is one of the reasons I'd like to have a helmet cam, just in case someone decides to do something that crosses the line.

I'm your density
    "Dad's home from his night ride!"

"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

I'm your density
    "All those lights on the bars and he still bunny-hopped us?!?"

"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    While riding through some sides streets, cars slow down, some coming to a stop. I ride by and I hear, "WTF? A bike?" then laughing! 80% of the time.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    On almost every road ride some Yahoo will drive by, hang their head out the window and say something. Then there are people who will just give a simple positive comment like, "Nice bike"or "Wow, I could see you half a mile away". It just goes with the territory I suppose. On occasion though you do see odd behavior. This is one of the reasons I'd like to have a helmet cam, just in case someone decides to do something that crosses the line.
    i'd love a camera like GoPro as well. but it is not a necessity so i won't be getting one anytime soon.

if i had any extra money it would be on my short list of things to buy however.

mtbr member
    ok so 2 or 3 days ago i had an interesting experience interacting with car drivers. i was in my full battle gear with 11 lights on, including 3 headlights. All my headlights were at reduced power to extend battery life - my Two Helmet Seca 1700 were on half-power, or about 700 Lumens each, and my Philips SafeRide was on "low" which doesn't really matter because SafeRide has a no-glare light cutoff design so it doesn't bother drivers on any setting.

anyway i was moving slowly, i was either climbing or slowing down for intersetion ( don't remember exactly ) and a truck in the oncoming traffic lane slowed down, and shouted "hey buddy" so i turned my head, then he said "that's serious lighting you have" and THEN is when the "interesting" part happened ...

before i could reply anything he flashed a tactical LED flashlight into my eyes ...

he added "good job" to me and i replied with "psycho" to him before we both continued on our way ...

i really don't know whether this guy was an id1ot and thought i will appreciate having a tactical flashlight shined into my eyes, or whether it was his way of getting back at me for riding around with the equivalent of car HID high beams ... it is really hard to tell ... his voice was wasn't angry but i do think it was mischievous ...

i just remembered this thread and decided to share the experience here ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    ...before i could reply anything he flashed a tactical LED flashlight into my eyes ...

he added "good job" to me and i replied with "psycho" to him before we both continued on our way ...

i really don't know whether this guy was an id1ot and thought i will appreciate having a tactical flashlight shined into my eyes, or whether it was his way of getting back at me for riding around with the equivalent of car HID high beams ... it is really hard to tell ... his voice was wasn't angry but i do think it was mischievous ...

i just remembered this thread and decided to share the experience here ...
    I think quite possibly this person was "ready for you". You have to admit, with the stuff you're using you stand out like a beacon. Always going to be fools who like to **** with the people on bikes. Especially when those people on bikes stand out from the crowd. Times like this make you wish you had a video going.

Took a quick ride tonight around town. I got lots of reactions tonight. People either slowing down, stopping and/or gawking. People saying stuff. Sometimes something positive other times just something you can't make out. Something about wheel lights ( and weekends ) just brings out all kind of reactions. I swear if I just use my front and rear lights people go by and pay me no mind whatsoever.

I'll continue using wheel lights. When I see people slowing down I know I'm being seen. That said the set-up I'm using ( front, back, wheels...) isn't half as bright as what you're using.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Took a quick ride tonight around town. I got lots of reactions tonight. People either slowing down, stopping and/or gawking. People saying stuff. Sometimes something positive other times just something you can't make out. Something about wheel lights ( and weekends ) just brings out all kind of reactions. I swear if I just use my front and rear lights people go by and pay me no mind whatsoever.

I'll continue using wheel lights. When I see people slowing down I know I'm being seen. That said the set-up I'm using ( front, back, wheels...) isn't half as bright as what you're using.
    i agree with you the spoke lights get a lot of attention, and on the weekend i stay at home altogether because it just gets crazy. the time of day also matters and the street you take. i try to ride just before sunrise, and i take streets without clubs on them.

the people have virtually no reaction to bar headlight or seatpost tail light even when they are blindingly bright. it is the helmet and spoke lights that get the attention, and other unusual lights like bar end lights. by attention i mean comments, not conspicuity/visibility.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Snap a pic the next time you are in full battle gear with 11 lights. Two secas on the helmet has got to be interesting and even somewhat heavy if batteries are mounted as well. How much do just the heads weigh?

Can you give a list of all 11 and their mounting locations?
    Have you weighed all 11 lights with mounting brackets/ batteries? I am curious about how much additional weight that is.

Thx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    Snap a pic the next time you are in full battle gear with 11 lights. Two secas on the helmet has got to be interesting and even somewhat heavy if batteries are mounted as well. How much do just the heads weigh?

Can you give a list of all 11 and their mounting locations?

Thx
    here is the video with the 10 out of 11 lights. i added a second Seca later. i don't mind the weight personally, but you can certainly feel it. for off-roading i wouldn't want to have that much weight on the helmet, but on relatively flat road it's ok.

if you wish to comment on my setup i have a thread about it here:

starting all over again from scratch :)

so we don't go off topic here ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Not related to night riding, but I've had a lot of funny comments when riding, wether at night or day.

Very recently I'd been working in the central Highlands of Vietnam, and I was working very remote and often cycling to places where foreigners have probably never been seen, in particular when passing through ethnic villages on trails. Of course the concept of mountain biking or cycling for recreation is all but unheard of around these parts and simply impractical. So you can imagine a foreigner who's more than twice the height of a local person while perched on an enormous strange looking bike, to them I look ridiculous, probably like a giant 7ft clown juggling fiery balls on a uni cycle. Typically I'll get comments like Trơi ơi (OMG in Vietnamese) or laughter is common.

There was this one girl in a remote village one day where it was just all too much, she just pointed in my direction and just started balling her eyes out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    here is the video with the 10 out of 11 lights. i added a second Seca later. i don't mind the weight personally, but you can certainly feel it. for off-roading i wouldn't want to have that much weight on the helmet, but on relatively flat road it's ok.

if you wish to comment on my setup i have a thread about it here:

starting all over again from scratch :)

so we don't go off topic here ...

Man you stick out like a Dick on fish.