Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    nocturnal oblivion
    Reputation: stumblemumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,309

    Strange Dinotte temporary battery failure

    Any thoughts guys/gals? Here's the email I sent off to Dinotte:
    It was a bit wet today on my commute, I ran my 400L without problem on the way over. A few hours later I plugged in the light and no blinking, no flash, nothing. It was definitely the 2C battery because the light head worked fine on the spare battery. When I got home the battery still wasn't recognized by the light. I figured maybe it shorted given the moisture and was fried. I plugged the battery into the charger and to my surprise the charger did recognize the battery, quickly went from red to green, and now the battery works fine.

    Great my battery works, but did it short and go into a safe mode or something?
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,841
    What it sounds like to me: In a nut shell....the battery momentarily shorted. This might have happened if water got into the plug connection. Typical protection circuit ( PCB ) on the battery cut the power. When you plug the battery back into the charger this will reset the protection circuit. I've done this before to one of my batteries but not with my Dinotte. If I'm right the light ( and battery )should now work as before.

  3. #3
    nocturnal oblivion
    Reputation: stumblemumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    What it sounds like to me: In a nut shell....the battery momentarily shorted. This might have happened if water got into the plug connection. Typical protection circuit ( PCB ) on the battery cut the power. When you plug the battery back into the charger this will reset the protection circuit. I've done this before to one of my batteries but not with my Dinotte. If I'm right the light ( and battery )should now work as before.
    That's just what I was thinking, here's Dinottes response (I think they missed the "and now it seems fine part though):

    It's tough to say what happened - The rain is probably a coincidence. *The
    moisture wouldn't fry the battery (voltage is too low)

    Hard to say what causes a battery that's a year and eight months old to have
    an issue - batteries are consumable and at some point they stop working

    It's unlikely a short - possibly an "open" where the cable may have worn and
    the cable might be able to be fixed - but many things can cause a battery to
    fail

    Being used many times
    Being dropped before (and finally failing)
    Sitting on the charger all the time.
    Letting it go dead
    Etc..

    I will suggest this - we've upgraded our charger since you purchased your
    lights - so if you purchase a new battery, put in the notes "include new
    charger at no charge, customer will return old charger with old battery for
    inspection." - if battery can be fixed we'll repair it, if it cannot, we'll
    recycle it.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •