mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Stop with the smooth reflectors

Dear China,
    Please stop with the smooth reflectors.
    Bicycle head lights that use reflectors, rather then optics, NEED an orange peel textured reflector.
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    Roadie says smooth is OK.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I prefer smooth myself. Not a fan of floody beams

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    I prefer smooth myself. Not a fan of floody beams
    I'd hardly say that an OP reflector makes it floody.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    Roadie says smooth is OK.
    Not this roadie, lol. But seriously, I don't do much riding at night on the road bike, but even on that rare occasion, I think a smooth reflector just makes for a little ball of bouncing light. It's annoying.
    I'm not saying I want a full "flood" light, but an OP reflector just takes the edge off of that hot spot and transitions it into the spill just enough.

And I realize there are people that still prefer smooth, but it just seems like lately, more and more of the lights are coming with smooth reflectors.
    Heck if even half of the new offerings were OP textured, I never would have started this thread, but it's more like 20% (if that), while 80% or more have smooth.

And personally, I'd like to see some lights being offered with an even heavier OP texture. Some reflectors that are listed as "OP textured" have a very slight texture to them. Maybe they could list them as "heavy OP" and "light OP".

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Floody might not be the best description, but the ones I have seen lose too much throw for my preference.

mtbr member
    my Seca 1700 has smooth reflectors and the beam is very good. on the other hand i had a Fenix TK21 tactical light and the smooth reflector was terrible, then i upgraded to Fenix TK22 with an Orange Peel reflector and it was a huge improvement.

so i think that smooth can be good, but oftentimes is not, and orange peel can sometimes be an easy fix.

also it seems Light & Motion uses textured reflectors in their single-LED lights, but not in multi-LED lights.

don't forget there is the third option besides smooth and orange peel:

and:

mtbr member
    As everyone knows torches use mostly reflectors. Most come with a smooth reflector but sometimes you can order the torch with OP. This is very typical of drop-in modules. Usually I order them smooth because I intend them for helmet use but sometimes even if you put an OP reflector in there is not much difference although I suppose a little more spill is helpful in some cases.

The big beam pattern changer with reflectors has to do with size. Shorter reflectors provide a wider hot spot. Add some OP to it and it can be even better. Faceted reflectors ( like above ^ ) are usually custom but a real shame you don't see them being offered for torches.

It would be nice if there was a web site that catered to torch and lamp users that would allow the buyer to buy alternative reflector/optics by matching up the outer diameter/length/ and emitter dome size. Wouldn't that be sweet?

What it really boils down to is ; Optics are the thing to use if you want to tailor the beam pattern to cover a wider area. Reflectors are better for gaining control of throw but usually require a a large/deep reflector. Still with the right size reflector you can get a good mix of throw and spill if you size it right.

Years ago there was a thread where someone did a DIY job at OP'ing a reflector. I can't remember what the person did but it did work to gain a bit more spill.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Holy re-size that image batman!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Years ago there was a thread where someone did a DIY job at OP'ing a reflector. I can't remember what the person did but it did work to gain a bit more spill.
    To stipple the reflector you spay it with clear whatever. Maybe spray some clear acrylic around and let the mist settle on the reflector. Searching candlepowerforums comes up with lots of hits.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights