mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Stella 500 or NR 700

Hey guys I'm looking for a light on my lid this winter season now that I'm off work later. The main purpose is going to be mtb'n the Pacific NW. Thick forest, so beam shot isn't going to be a big deal since the farthest I have to see down the trail is roughly 50-60 feet with plenty of roll'y, rooty techy'ness thrown in there. Ive rode with a niterider 350 on the bars a couple of times. Single light on the bars is kinda weak sauce so im looking at either a niterider lumina 700 or a stella 500 for my lid. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I can't tell you about these two specifically, but I have a Stella 300 which I really like. Obviously, the knock on these is that other companies have passed them as far as sheer output, but L&M has put a lot of thought into beam pattern. The 300 is spotty enough for the helmet, but not so focussed that I have to swing my head around too much. As long as you don't pair it on the bar with something that overwhelms it, I would say it's a good choice. It's also very pretty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sweet, thanks for the info. I've been trying to find a review of the 500 since it does have more output, but it looks like it hasn't been on the market for very long.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Here's review I found,,, hope that helps. Cheers!!

Technical difficulty's.

Sorry, trying to figure this out!!
    Last edited by indebt; 11-13-2013 at 11:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    One thing I noticed in retrospect, the Stella is a battery pack and the Lumina is self-contained. I don't know how much that might factor into your decision for a helmet light, but if you're open to the self-contained ones for your head, have you looked into the Bontrager Ion 700? They covered it in the lights shootout and it looks like quite a deal ...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Right, I know about the external / internal batteries; they're not a big factor since I usually have my pack. I took a look at the Bontrager Ion 700; it looks nice, but i would rather purchase a light from a light company.