Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    mtbr member
    The only thing that I can't stand more than someone with flashing headlights at night on the road is if they use them on the bike path. Even lower lumen lights flashing at night can be pretty harsh. There is a guy that I have seen several times that likes to have his headlight flashing at night on the bike path. The last time I was on the bike path and saw him coming with his headlight flashing I was fed up so I turned my Glowworm x2 and Betty lights to high and gave him something to think about. He was shielding his eyes with one hand as I passed. I think you should just ride smarter rather than rely on a million lumens of lights flashing in every direction. If you are not sure if the car ahead of you might not see you and turn right, then wait behind him for the light to change and avoid the possibility all together.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post

i use Sound Isolating Sennheiser In-Ear headphones playing music, so i don't really hear what people say unless they scream.
    That's a very good way of getting killed. You might as well throw all your lights in the trash.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post

the way roads are typically is mostly a square grid. most cars will be coming either from behind you, or from the side. only very few would be coming at an angle. so it makes more sense to have a light potined straight back, a light pointed straight left and one pointed straight right. if instead you try to get a light that projects in all directions you end up sending 3/4 of the light output either into the sky or onto the ground, and only a tiny fraction going to the back and sides.

IMO a perfect setup is a 30 degree or so front light, a 30 degree or so rear light, and 150 degree or so side lights on each side.
    When I investigated bike accidents a year or so ago, IIRC, the main danger is from the side - left hooks and right hooks, or driveway to road entrances. Especially dangerous is where bike paths cross roads because drivers are looking at the road to road intersection and not so much at the bike path to road intersection. While most cars are coming from front or back, the largest risk is cross traffic. What that means with lights is not clear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    When I investigated bike accidents a year or so ago, IIRC, the main danger is from the side - left hooks and right hooks, or driveway to road entrances. Especially dangerous is where bike paths cross roads because drivers are looking at the road to road intersection and not so much at the bike path to road intersection. While most cars are coming from front or back, the largest risk is cross traffic. What that means with lights is not clear.
    yes.

yesterday when i was coming back from manhattan i almost got hit by a car. i ran a red light at full speed with no visibility around the corner, while at the same time a car was trying to make a yellow light on the street going across. we both saw each other as soon as there was a direct line of sight and both braked 100% and were able to stop a few feet from each other.

on the one hand you could look at this and say well he was coming from the side, and he saw you from the side, so it was your side lighting in this case that was important.

but you could also look at it differently and say if the road was wet and he saw me as soon as i made it around the corner i would still get hit because there wouldn't be enough time to stop either for him or for me. at the same time if i had lets say a 3,000 lumen strobe on the front he probably would have seen the flashing well before there was a direct line of sight and would likely lift the foot off the gas and hover it over the brake pedal just in case.

it might have also been effective to have a steady light in the front at about 7,000 lumens. at that particular time i had my headlights at half power to stretch battery run time. i could see that ( due to street lighting ) it wasn't enough light to be seen around the corner, but it was a ~ 4 hour ride on 3 hour batteries, so i had no choice but to run at 1/2 power.

the entire time on the ride i kept asking myself what does my setup need ? and that incident more or less answered it. i need more lumens on the front, preferably in strobe form. however, there is no money, so i will simply need to slow down before intersections if i can't see around the corner from now on.

mtbr member
    I have a suggestion. Try not to blow through red lights at full speed when you have no visibility. Your lights aren't the issue here!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusHQ View Post
    I have a suggestion. Try not to blow through red lights at full speed when you have no visibility. Your lights aren't the issue here!
    Exactly. Yikes!

J.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6