Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Ordered a second Seca 1700 Race, identical to the first, from the same store ( TreeFortBikes ). Will attempt to put both of them on the Helmet, see what happens.

mtbr member
    one cool feature of MonkeyLectric is the ability to choose the color scheme. by default it is set to "random" so it shows different rainbow colors as you ride, but i have now set mine to violet-blue because i feel that color stands out the best against predominantly yellow lights at night. it doesn't look as pretty as when set to random, but i don't want to look like a disco anyway.

mtbr member
    just placed an order for a 6 cell light and motion battery and a light and motion charger appropriate for that battery.

so instead of having two Seca 1700 lights with 1.5 hour burn time each ( 3 cell battery each ) now i should have one Seca 1700 light with 3 hour burn time ( 6 cell battery ) and one with 1.5 + 1.5 hour burn time ( two 3 cell batteries, which i will need to switch mid-way through the ride ).

so the effective burn time on both Seca 1700 that i have on the helmet now should be 3 hours.

also all 3 batteries should charge in 6 hours because each one will be on its own charger.

can't wait. it was pissing me off having to run the lights at 1/2 power to extend run time.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Can you tell me what the seca 1700 weighs with 6 cell battery and mounts? How about the head by itself with helmet mount?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    With the purchase of the 6 cell does that put you at about the price of a seca 2000 enduro? But then again that would only be one 2000 lumen enduro... Would you still desire 2 2000 lumen enduros on your helmet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    Can you tell me what the seca 1700 weighs with 6 cell battery and mounts? How about the head by itself with helmet mount?
    Light & Motion Seca 1700 ? 2013 Mtbr Lights Shootout | Mountain Bike Review

MTBR already weighed everything. except the 6 cell battery, which i don't have yet, but i assume it will weigh about 80% more than a 3 cell battery.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the link and info.

mtbr member
    With the purchase of the 6 cell does that put you at about the price of a seca 2000 enduro? But then again that would only be one 2000 lumen enduro... Would you still desire 2 2000 lumen enduros on your helmet?
    i paid $235 for a 6 cell battery and charger ( $171 for Battery, $55 Charger, $9 Shipping ) and $319 for each 1700 Race. so altogether i paid $873 and this is total price including any shipping or tax.

this gives me 6 hours of run time on both lights ( once i actually receive it that is )

by comparison 2 X Seca 2000 Enduro would have cost 1,138 ( 2 x $569 ) which is about $250 more, but it would be slightly brighter and i would not have to deal with switching batteries mid-ride, as i would have 2 X 6 cell batteries instead of 2 x 3 cell plus 1 x 6 cell.

very soon for about what 2 x Seca 2000 Enduro costs now you will be able to pick up a 4500 Lumen Lupine Betty. in my opinion 2 x Seca 2000 will provide much better light, and will be able to maintain its output at much lower speeds, however the Betty will have better features such as wireless switch, battery life indicators on the battery etc. both solutions have their cons and pros IMO.

i don't know how much brighter the 2000 is compared to 1700. when i have two 1700 on full power i feel like i'm close to where i need to be, but not quite there. i doubt two 2000 would be significantly different.

the beam of the 1700 is much wider than of 1400 but is still narrow in its brightest part. we will probably need to wait for something like Seca 3000 before the beam is wide enough. 2 x Seca 3000 would probably be just right. this would be the equivalent of HID car headlights. as it is right now 2 x Seca 1700 is just as bright as car HID headlights, but the beam is much narrower. it would be nice if they could keep the same brightness of the beam in the center but make the bright part of the beam 50% wider - as i said this would probably require the output of each light to go up to about 3000.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Seca 3000... that starts to bring you back around to the light you had previously in the NiteRider 3600. that would be a ton of light to have 2 of those. With all that bright light on your helmet do you have issues with bugs/nats/etc being attracted to the light?

You mentioned you noticed a big difference between the 1400 and 1700 so it may be realistic to see a similiar change in output and beam pattern from the 1700 to the seca 2000. Then times that by 2 and you may be much closer to your requirement while still having good slow speed heat management.

mtbr member
    Seca 3000... that starts to bring you back around to the light you had previously in the NiteRider 3600. that would be a ton of light to have 2 of those. With all that bright light on your helmet do you have issues with bugs/nats/etc being attracted to the light?

You mentioned you noticed a big difference between the 1400 and 1700 so it may be realistic to see a similiar change in output and beam pattern from the 1700 to the seca 2000. Then times that by 2 and you may be much closer to your requirement while still having good slow speed heat management.
    Seca 1400 measured about 1200 on MTBR while Seca 1700 measured 1800. even if 2000 measures at 2200 ( which is highly unlikely ) it still would be only 20% difference versus 50% difference between 1700 and 1400.

as for the NiteRider - yes i had a 3600 lumen niterider and now i have 3600 lumen Seca ( 2 x 1800 measured lumen lights ) so actually i do have the same lumens now as with the niterider, but it doesn't look nearly as bright. i think the difference has to come down to the beam pattern. the NR used the lumens to blind you and everybody else, while the Seca uses them to make you see better, farther. the NR appears brighter, but 2 X Seca on the helmet is much more useful than 1 X NR on the bar. at least in the city. in the woods the NR on the bar will probably be great, because it sprays light in all directions which is what you want if you're going slow on a twisty path. but if you're going fast on a straight road you want the narrower beam of the Seca.

as for the bugs, yes they are attracted to the light, but as i ride in the city it is not a big problem. it maybe a problem if your trail is in an area with a lot of bugs i guess.

one unexpected downside to a powerful helmet light you see the air itself light up and obstruct the view somewhat. it doesn't happen so much with a bar light because the light is not so close to your eyes.

also street signs that are reflective look so bright sometimes it is almost impossible to tell what they say because of how bright they look - once again - that's because the light is so close to the eyes so the new, efficient prismatic reflectors look extremely bright. on the other hand you will never miss a sign this way, a prismatic one anyway.

i do feel that 2 X Seca 1700 run cooler than 1 X NR Pro 3600. the NR Pro and Lupine lights push the limits in terms of cooling - they barely have enough cooling for their power, whereas the Seca seems to take it easy - it seems to have plenty of cooling for the amount of heat it generates.

i think what happened is that with each generation NR and Lupine upped the watts in effort to win the Lumen race whereas the Seca has kept watts the same or even lowered them so as a result the Seca doesn't have anywhere near the Lumens of the other big boys, but it runs cooler. basically the Seca doesn't compete on Lumens whereas NR and Lupine do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have generally found that the proper ratio for helmet light to bar light is about 1:2. So, for a 3000 lumen bar light, I'd want a 1500 lumen helmet light. I also prefer the helmet light to have a tighter beam than the bar light.

For riding in the summer, I do not like to have a helmet light on very high. I can't stand it when I "see the air" as androgen says. I think it causes a lot of detail to be lost. If you ride where it's dusty or where the humidity is high, then I think this is a problem. Those environments are generally mutually exclusive so if you don't have one, you have the other. I think it would be very difficult to find a place where this isn't an issue with big lumens. I didn't find it to be much of a problem at about 750 lumens but at 1500 lumens it is a distinct problem.

Bugs are a big issue here. I find that when I ride in late summer with a bright helmet light, I get an excessive number of bug hits on the glasses. It's not pleasant at all. Until the bugs start to drop off, I tend to either forgo the helmet light or keep it on low in comparison to the bar light. Helmet lights really cause the insects to key in on your face and head. Hint: do not ride with your mouth open.

What I'm running now is a 2400 lumen Lupine Wilma on the bars and a 750 Lupine Piko on the helmet although for riding in the dark so far this summer, I've left the helmet light off entirely due to bugs. In the next several weeks the peak of the bug season should be gone and I'm looking hard at going to the 1200 lumen Lupine Piko for the helmet light since the 750 Piko is kind of lost in the Wilma beam.

If anyone is interested, I have a 1500 lumen Wilma that I'd part with (light only).

J.

mtbr member
    Battery and Charger shipped. Tracking information estimates delivery on the 18th ( next Wed ).

mtbr member
    Just received my new 6 cell Light & Motion battery and 1.5 Amp charger. It's charging up. I actually ran out of space on the surge protector i'm using for my bike lights:

the new charger is too big to fit in that space that was left, so i had to put this one on a different power strip:

theoretically this charger should be able to charge this cell up in 4 hours. the chargers that come with the Race model are only 0.5 Amp, but they also only need to charge a 3 cell, and they are rated to do it in 6 hours.

i just ordered some power strip liberators:

Amazon.com: Ziotek ZT1212518 Power Strip Liberator Plus with Pass Through, 5-Pack: Home Improvement

so that i would be able to actually plug all of my bike light chargers into the same power strip. hopefully that will help me keep track of things.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Is it really necessary to bump your threads to the top of the forum with pictures of chargers plugged into the power strip?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    I actually ran out of space on the surge protector i'm using for my bike lights so i had to put this one on a different power strip.
    Why not to connect one to the another?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Is it really necessary to bump your threads to the top of the forum with pictures of chargers plugged into the power strip?
    thank you for bumping my thread !

mtbr member
    received an extra surge protector and two packs of ziotek liberators ( they are surprisingly well made )

was thus able to once again consolidate all of the bike chargers in one area

i organized it so that all of the lights that charge while on the bike plug into the yellow surge protector, and all of the lights / batteries that are from the helmet plug into the white surge protector. also the AA and 18650 cell chargers will plug into the white surge protector.

the black nitecore 18650 charger i don't actually use for the bike, its for the flashlight, but it was a logical place for it anyway.

that big white bottle is vaseline for the cap on Red Zone 8, and the paper towel is to wipe excess off ...

actually there is still one other charger i use for the monkeylectric AA cells, but because it does double duty also charging the cell for my wireless mouse it will stay in its original location:

also since my hydration pack is now strapped to my helmet with a bunch of wires ( night AND day ) i needed something else for the phone, so i got a maxpedition versipack octa fanny pack:

i already rode with it - i really like it - its handy ! i will definitley use it next time i ride. its much faster / easier to access than the hydration pack, and it provides plenty of extra organization for your various items.

yes i could use a frame bag, but i wanted the phone on my body so i could plug in a headset and not be tethered to the bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

All I can say, is OMG!

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    ...also since my hydration pack is now strapped to my helmet with a bunch of wires ( night AND day ) i needed something else for the phone, so i got a maxpedition versipack octa fanny pack....

...I could use a frame bag, but i wanted the phone on my body so i could plug in a headset and not be tethered to the bike.
    Well I guess this makes it official; You are now "The Lord of the Wired Helmet". As I write this I remove my tin-foiled cap, bow my knee and utter the words, "I am not worthy oh luminous one". Shine on with more insight into the new sport you have created, "Glow-biking".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Well I guess this makes it official; You are now "The Lord of the Wired Helmet". As I write this I remove my tin-foiled cap, bow my knee and utter the words, "I am not worthy oh luminous one". Shine on with more insight into the new sport you have created, "Glow-biking".
    never underestimate the power of the helmet !

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Can we get a picture of this set up on androgen?

J.

mtbr member
    ordered 2 more MonkeyLectric M232 spoke lights and a 8 pack of Eneloop rechargeables.

i am disappointed with Bike After Dark Fireball spoke lights ( don't hold charge, run down too fast ) and will be removing them.

will run MonkeyLectric M232 on both wheels, 2 on each for balance.

i considered whether to go with Eneloop or Eneloop XX and decided to go with regular Eneloop as it will provide enough run time in this application and has 1500 recharge cycles versus 500 for Eneloop XX.

MonkeyLectric M232 is $59 right now from Amazon. was $75 when i got the first pair. there is a lot of design and engineering that you will get for that $59 ! problem is that you need 4 of them for a full bike setup, plus 12 AA Ni-Mh cells, plus a good AA charger, so let's say the total will be $300 to outfit your bike properly with MonkeyLights.

and even though there are cheaper ways to get good side visibility, like NiteFlux Red Zone 8 which is $150 there is really nothing like spoke lights. nothing else will make you instantly recognizable as a bicycle the way spoke lights will.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Picture please.

J.

mtbr member
    just received a box from Amazon: my second pair of MonkeyLectric M232s and a 8 pack of Sanyo Eneloops to power them:

will be removing Bike After Dark Fireball spoke lights as soon as i have some help to install the MonkeyLectric because it does help to have extra hands for this.

mtbr member
    Fireballs are Removed. I made a video "review" but it's not a real review - just a video of me removing them while talking about why i'm removing them and why i would not recommend them to anybody.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast