mtbr member

Standardizing standards for bike lights

Been searching the net high, low, wide and still having difficulties figuring out what data consumers want from any bike light. Is it even relevant to a person's decision to pull the trigger on something? With beamshots of various settings, ceiling bounce, lux reading at 1 meter, 5 meters, bar graphs, line graphs we're still none the wiser. Standard lux? mtbr lux? Lumens? Calibration? Time of reading? Fair to say we're in this very bright white noise when it comes to light specification or data.

Are we able to agree on a set of guidelines for testing lights. What must the Lux meter be calibrated against. What lux meter is mtbr using and what is it calibrated against? No doubt there will be difference between an industrial quality lux meter and one that's available on eBay or Walmart. What integrating sphere size, internal reflective white paint and standards should manufacturers use. At what times in the test we should consider "a real lumen reading of a light" since the numbers will most probably keep falling as the LED/s heat up. One, 3, 5, 10 or more minutes?

I bought a Mastech 6612 lux meter since the overall feedback is positive on this make and model. It's not the best but it's got some thumbs up for being accurate. The intention is to standardize a set of test so everyone can look at some numbers or graphs (which I still have trouble relating to) to a particular light and say, these are the specs I'm looking for and now lets see how much it cost. As an example, I did a lux test with the spot beam right in the middle of the Mastech's sensor. Same light - 780 lux @ [5 meters I meant not 1 meter]. 1850 lux @ 1 meter. When I powered both of them, I had 1620 lux @ 5 meters. Did that tell you anything?
    Last edited by mtbRevolution; 05-30-2013 at 05:38 AM. Reason: distance correction
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com