Thread: Spend my $200!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Spend my $200!

Leaning towards 2 magicshine 808U's - 1 with a wide angle lens for the bars and 1 standard for the helmet. These will be replacing my ooold L&M ARC HID which finally died - i ran it on the helmet only and it worked great 99% of the time.

Really my only question is if i'd be able to get by with just the helmet light seeing as i was fine with just the helmet prior. I believe the ARC was rated at 750 lumen but i was thinking more light and redundancy is never a bad thing.

if anyone has any other suggestions i'm open to hear what might be a better purchase or combo. Also, if it matters i'm planning on purchasing from action led.

mtbr member
    Get a MJ-816E (the one with XM-L and XP-G), and for the rest of the money get a spare light.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by literally View Post
    Leaning towards 2 magicshine 808U's - 1 with a wide angle lens for the bars and 1 standard for the helmet. These will be replacing my ooold L&M ARC HID which finally died - i ran it on the helmet only and it worked great 99% of the time.

Really my only question is if i'd be able to get by with just the helmet light seeing as i was fine with just the helmet prior. I believe the ARC was rated at 750 lumen but i was thinking more light and redundancy is never a bad thing.

if anyone has any other suggestions i'm open to hear what might be a better purchase or combo. Also, if it matters i'm planning on purchasing from action led.
    If you're leaning towards two 808U's then by all means I can't see any reason not to buy them based on their performance. The single emitter 808 series is a good lamp with three usable modes. One on the helmet and one on the bars using a wide lens and you will be set. However, there are better options if you want a little more output.

If you scroll down the thread page you will see many newer multi-emitter Chinese made lamps now being sold that will give you a better output coming off the bars. Most of these are relatively inexpensive and are sold with batteries that are less than satisfactory. That said, for the money they ask for the set-ups you can easily afford to buy a better battery for the lamp and still make out like a bandit. If you take my advise you will have a brighter two lamp set-up and end up with a spare battery ( which is always a good thing ). One 808U, one Chinese 2 or three ( XM-L ) LED lamp and one ( extra ) better quality battery...should be somewhere around $165-$175 USD total .

Once again keeping all things in perspective, look at what the vendors offer. Sometimes they offer combo deals if you buy more than one lamp/battery set-up. ( notable vendors > Action LED, Xeccon Revolution, Gloworm Performance Products, Gemini lights ) FWIW, Action LED sells not only Magicshine but both Gloworm and Gemini lights. Xeccon is an up-and-comer that is selling not only the Xeccon products but some new stuff as well. While I don't endorse vendors both Xeccon Revolution and Action LED look to be main player's in the field of bike lighting and have distinguished themselves as reliable vendors.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 05-26-2013 at 11:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Re: Spend my $200!

Thanks cat-man-do, great info for me to research. One more question if you or others don't mind...how do some of these cheaper light heads compare in color temperature? Part of the reason I'm leaning towards the 808U is some of the beam shots I've seen indicate a warmer color temp. I have issues with the cooler color temps making trail details appear blown out from the super white/blueish light.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by literally View Post
    Spend my $200!
    No problem, how would you like to send it to me?
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Happy Trails

Spend my $200!

Last year's L&M Seca 750 ?

I'm looking for bar mount lights now, to complement the incredible Exposure Diablo MK4 helmet mount lamp I just picked up for $250. For the bar, Light & Motion Seca 750 for $215 (available at BC and CC and CR ...) seems like a pretty solid deal for a high-end light with good features. I'm trying to decide between this capable light and a super-high end light like a Lupine Wilma (for ~$600!) ... as much as I like the Wilma, I'm probably going cheaper with the Seca.

Anyone else using this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I just got 2 Cygolite ExpiliOn 700's, $89.87 each on Amazon.

One on the bar, on on my helmet, comes with each mount.

Only reason I got 2 was redundancy, often out by myself.

Has 8 modes, starts in medium which for me is plenty bright. Low is good for long slow climbs.

Medium is supposed to be 3+ hours, have not been out that long yet to test.

I ride with Optic Nerve Omnium PM day or night and medium is still plenty bright for me. Back in the 90's all I had was a 15w niterider so this is a huge difference.

Internal li-ion battery, 140g total weight. Mounted on my Uvex XP CC total weight is 415g.

USB charging, comes with cable and 700ma wallwart.

Cygolite 700

Name:  40-0573.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  28.9 KB
    Cygolite 400

Name:  40-0456.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  14.1 KB

Some Comparisons

The usb cover can be a PITA to get back on. Just put a tiny dab of vasoline on it and it will pop right back in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    If you're leaning towards two 808U's then by all means I can't see any reason not to buy them based on their performance. The single emitter 808 series is a good lamp with three usable modes. One on the helmet and one on the bars using a wide lens and you will be set. However, there are better options if you want a little more output.

If you scroll down the thread page you will see many newer multi-emitter Chinese made lamps now being sold that will give you a better output coming off the bars. Most of these are relatively inexpensive and are sold with batteries that are less than satisfactory. That said, for the money they ask for the set-ups you can easily afford to buy a better battery for the lamp and still make out like a bandit. If you take my advise you will have a brighter two lamp set-up and end up with a spare battery ( which is always a good thing ). One 808U, one Chinese 2 or three ( XM-L ) LED lamp and one ( extra ) better quality battery...should be somewhere around $165-$175 USD total .

Once again keeping all things in perspective, look at what the vendors offer. Sometimes they offer combo deals if you buy more than one lamp/battery set-up. ( notable vendors > Action LED, Xeccon Revolution, Gloworm Performance Products, Gemini lights ) FWIW, Action LED sells not only Magicshine but both Gloworm and Gemini lights. Xeccon is an up-and-comer that is selling not only the Xeccon products but some new stuff as well. While I don't endorse vendors both Xeccon Revolution and Action LED look to be main player's in the field of bike lighting and have distinguished themselves as reliable vendors.
    Thanks Cat-Man will give this a shot. Went with the Majicshine 808's and a Cygolight hotshot.