Thread: Some ride stoke

Light freak

Some ride stoke

A video from this mornings FIFO ride (First In, First Out) at 5am. Temperature was about 18 degrees.

mtbr member
    Couldn't find the vid, but at least found more info on your lights.

Light freak
    Embedded video is working for me. Here is the link - Lair O' The Bear Ice Capades on Vimeo

Light freak
    Picture from this mornings ride

Some ride stoke-ffffifo-ride.jpg

mtbr member
    Sweet

Light freak
    Short video clip of one of the sections.

Light freak
    Watching the sun rise coming up on Evergreen Mtn

Some ride stoke-evergreen-sunrise.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    Watching the sun rise coming up on Evergreen Mtn

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Evergreen sunrise.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	858885

Very cool Scar!!!! Talk about starting your day off right!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    A video from this mornings FIFO ride (First In, First Out) at 5am. Temperature was about 18 degrees.
    Scar, about the first video; Super cool trail. Looks like most of the time you're going down hill ( yes/no ? )...Are you shuttling to get to the top and then one of the bud's riding ya' back up to get the car? Just wondering.

To be honest I'm amazed at how passive most of the trail looked considering it looks to be going down a mountain. While I did see a couple technical sections here or there most of it looked very smooth. How far away from your home do you have to travel to get to those trails? Very envious am I.

For me to ride in the mountains I would have to drive about 3hrs from where I live. The biggest hills nearest me are in the area surrounding Frederick, Md. ( otherwise known as "Fredrock" ) ( 1.5hr drive ) Some nice trails there but almost all of it is undulating rock. Very rugged. If the constant hucking over rock and loose stone doesn't get you the babyheads and golf-ball sized stones will. Goodness how I wish some of the stuff there was a little more passive. Never been to Co. Seeing those trails in your video makes me wish I could ride there one day.

Right now I'm really Jones'ing for a ride. Saturday the cold weather is supposed to move in. I'm so desperate right now that I'm probably going to bundle up to catch a ride. If I'm lucky there might even be a frosting of light snow by the weekend. Crossing my fingers hoping that the winds taper down before I ride. Cold I can handle, cold AND wind...ehh....that's another story. ..Now if I can just find the balaclava...

Light freak
    Hey Cat - Thanks for being interested in the video(s). As the saying goes we have to "earn our turns" here along the Denver Front Range. I grew up living only about 15mins- 1/2 hour from most of trails. Had a family and moved out to the suburbs to get more house for the money. My drive is now 30 miles/35 minutes to 45 miles/1 hr to get to the trails depending on which one we are riding. I get up at about 3am in the morning on the days we are riding so that I can get my stuff packed up and be at the trail head by 4:30am.

The trail/video in question is a newly cut trail so yes it is pretty tame in spots. Nature/weather should change that over time. It is also known as one of the beginner trails along the front range as the climb to the top is alot more gradual than most others in the area. I do not post up videos of the climbs as I figure they are boring and the camera is dancing around alot from me from pulling on the bars. We have a great variety of trails available from tame to just nasty/rocky trails. Here is a link to some pics and a video that a local did of one of the more gnarly trails named Dakota Ridge/Hogback. Nothing but total rock riding. Here is video I did of us doing it in the dark a few years ago - Untitled on Vimeo. I took a pretty hard spill on Labor Day and broke 2 ribs, punctured a lung, and a concussion and have not been on this trail since. Not much room for failure up there and I have not gotten my courage up yet either. Hoping to get back up there this year for sure.

Most of our rides start out with lung busting climbs right from the parking lot but that means they end in great downhills back to the cars. The majority of my rides are at 5am, before work so I am a little time constrained as well as I need to be able to function once I get to work so many of the rides are not what you would call epic. I had one of my better weeks of being able to get out and ride before work right before Christmas. I rode 6 days in a row before work with two weekend "urban assault" rides while only taking one day off, eight rides in 9 days. Here is what the mileage and elevation looked like for that week -

Friday morning - North Table Mtn 7.22 miles / 1040 feet of climbing
    Saturday night - Urban Assault - 11 miles / 500 feet of climbing
    Sunday - no riding
    Monday morning - White Ranch - 7.5 miles / 1500 feet of climbing
    Tuesday morning - Lair o' the Bear - 5.3 miles / 1000 feet of climbing
    Weds morning - Matthew Winters - 5.3 miles / 1000 feet of climbing
    Thursday morning - Chimney Gulch - 5.1 miles / 2200 feet of climbing
    Friday morning - North Table Mtn - 7.22 miles / 1040 feet of climbing
    Saturday night - Urban Assault - 11 miles / 500 feet of climbing
    Total = 59.6 miles / 8840 feet of climbing.

I was really happy with my achievements for rides in this period, a personal record for number of rides in a row. My legs were sure feeling it at the end. Another point that makes me real proud is that I am the "old guy" of our group as I will be turning 50 in a couple of weeks. One of the other guys is in the mid 40's with everyone else being in their 30's. My wife is constantly asking me when I am going to grow up and I always respond back - Never!!!

We use to really drop off in the winter but about 3 years ago we decided "no excuses" and continued to ride thru the winters. I think I actually have more fun on the winter rides as they are so much more peaceful and fulfilling. I love when you get back to work and everyone is complaining about the cold walking from their cars to the building then they turn to me and say "I suppose you guys rode this morning?", Yep! People at work can always tell when I have gone for a ride before work as I am all jonesed and in an overly good mode. Biking really does do the mind and body good.

If you ever make it out to Colorado please be sure to let me know and I can show you around our trails and local micro breweries. I have met several MTBR members as they have came thru Colorado and done some riding with them. It is always so much funner to meet them in person after communicating with them on the forums. The one thing I hate about the internet is that a simple post can make a person sound so cold and an a**hole. I know I have taken a couple of digs at you over the years about Chinese lights but I am very passionate about the lights that I build and proud of the reputation they have earned over the 6 years of doing it. Here is a link to a thread in the local Colorado - Front Range Forum that recently popped up that I think speaks to the long term value of my lights - Any lights best Magicshines for Winter use?. I know the Chinese stuff is so ridiculously cheap but I feel like the long delivery times, not knowing what version of product you are actually going to be getting, not being able to get ahold of the "reseller" once they have taken your money for any kind of customer service, having the "reseller" not being tech savvy enough to even know what they are selling are all not worth it over the long run. I totally stand behind my lights whether you bought it from me a month ago or 6 years ago. I believe you should not have to buy a new light every year or two.

I really do mean it, that if you ever make it out to Colorado, please let me know as I would love to meet you in person and do some riding with you.

Hope you have a great year in 2014

Light freak

A couple of pics from this mornings ride

Some ride stoke-april-2-chimney-gulch-fifo-3.jpg

Some ride stoke-april-2-chimney-gulch-fifo-2.jpg

Some ride stoke-april-2-chimney-gulch-fifo-1.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Looks like a strontium nitrate rocket booster under the seat there. Maybe a flame throwing, anti-wheel sucker device.

Light freak
    Vancbiker -

How about some night time ski bike stoke? Oh man I love the snow so much!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Re: Some ride stoke

Scar very smart photos & video.