Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Some Lupine news

24K views 146 replies 24 participants last post by  Diamondback_X6 
#1 · (Edited)
Some Lupine news

The boss of Lupine ("Wolf" in the forum) made some statements in the official forum:

- New lamps (improvement of the current models, as I understand it) with 20-30% more output compared to the current model, a new Betty torchlight ("BTL 2"), batteries with more capacity, option to mount all new lamps on a Go Pro mount.
? Thema anzeigen - Neues von Lupine

- There will be no Wilma R (with wireless remote), since it would cost too much and would push the price near a Betty R

- Option for an upgrade for the current Betty R; for the upgrade the lamp must be sent to the factory. Said to be cheaper than to manufacture and sell DIY upgrade kits. New Betty R will light slightly less wide and with a stronger central spot.

- Click mount system for the smartcore batteries, something of this sort: ? Thema anzeigen - Neue Akku-Rahmenhalterung

No release dates were mentioned ...

regards

See less See more
#60 ·
@androgen

As remote diagnose, I would say you are sanguinic? I think you just jump to and broadcast conclusions wihout the slightest evidence, led alone by your "instinct".
As John80 said, where do you find lumen outputs on this level in bikelights without a built in dim_down_due_to_heat regulation stepping in? I am ready to listen to reason ...
But in the meanwhile you've already come to the "fact" Lupine being on a "chinese level". *rubs eyes*, well then ...

That said, even Lupine does not make a secret of its dimming and "need" of motion, you can read it in every manual also online, was mentioned already in the very first Betty with 900 lumen, where in fact there was almost no situation in which she dimmed down. I've an old Betty 22W with 1900 lumen and never encountered that she dimmed down, or at least I did not realize. So according to your crude logic now I am entitled to shout "hurra, the best light ever, top engineering etc. etc. etc."?
And as for "honest" lumen, they are honest like the ones of L&M are, with a standard measurement according to ANSI or something of this sort, measuring within the first 15-30 seconds (or similar), in this matter you're just writing BS ...

And I am curious to see how your venerated L&M will handle heat&dimming in their *plastic* housing in the new announced 3600 lumen Seca ...

Same on you new Busch & Müller thread. You've never seen the new IQ2 lights, but just 2 pictures 50/70 lux, of which I personally have some doubts if they've used the same camera settings, seems to me to be too good to be true, nevertheless you already declare them as "top light", "best engineering" etc. etc. etc.. I mean please, this just shows us you're somewhat prone to instant enthusiasm ...

@mehukatti
Congrats. I agree the center LED is indeed useless, it's reduced to a gimmick, and just produced more discussions than use, they better would have just dropped it. As for the mount, the solution also does not convince me entirely. You're now indeed able to put the light nicely in front of the stem, but as for usability not really an improvement over the older standard mount with O-ring IMO.
And it's a point I've also criticized, and it's not new. On quite elevated price level sometimes they show a petty, pedantic avarice in details ruining the whole picture. Of course the just shold include the standard mount as goodie. I remember my Tesla, they were not able to include 2 O-rings for both standard and oversize bars for the mount, no, you had to write an email which O-Ring you needed, ridicolous ..., same like first they did not include a mount for the remote of the betty R.
As for "temperatures and dimming", the only published detail was for the previous Betty R 3600 lumen, stating it would not dim down for motion with 25 kilometers/hour and 20 degree C.: ? Thema anzeigen - Betty R

#61 ·
@androgen

As remote diagnose, I would say you are sanguinic? I think you just jump to and broadcast conclusions wihout the slightest evidence, led alone by your "instinct".
As John80 said, where do you find lumen outputs on this level in bikelights without a built in dim_down_due_to_heat regulation stepping in? I am ready to listen to reason ...
But in the meanwhile you've already come to the "fact" Lupine being on a "chinese level". *rubs eyes*, well then ...

That said, even Lupine does not make a secret of its dimming and "need" of motion, you can read it in every manual also online, was mentioned already in the very first Betty with 900 lumen, where in fact there was almost no situation in which she dimmed down. I've an old Betty 22W with 1900 lumen and never encountered that she dimmed down, or at least I did not realize. So according to your crude logic now I am entitled to shout "hurra, the best light ever, top engineering etc. etc. etc."?
And as for "honest" lumen, they are honest like the ones of L&M are, with a standard measurement according to ANSI or something of this sort, measuring within the first 15-30 seconds (or similar), in this matter you're just writing BS ...

And I am curious to see how your venerated L&M will handle heat&dimming in their *plastic* housing in the new announced 3600 lumen Seca ...

Same on you new Busch & Müller thread. You've never seen the new IQ2 lights, but just 2 pictures 50/70 lux, of which I personally have some doubts if they've used the same camera settings, seems to me to be too good to be true, nevertheless you already declare them as "top light", "best engineering" etc. etc. etc.. I mean please, this just shows us you're somewhat prone to instant enthusiasm ...
funny you mention Seca 3600 because of course that is what i use. by that i mean i use two Seca 1700 on my helmet and as each measured 1800 on MTBR test i am in effect running a Seca 3600 - except it doesn't step down and the body doesn't even get warm to the touch. combined with superior beam pattern my light puts down about 50% more usable light than his Betty does.

even a single Seca 1700 on the MTBR tunnel beam shot already outperformed 3600 Lumen Betty, before Betty even stepped down - two Secas would easily take a stepped down "4500" Lumen Betty if MTBR had two of them to test.

i paid $638 DELIVERED for my two Seca 1700 - so about half as much as he paid for his Betty, which isn't even as good.

but whatever - it's your money - waste it any way you like.

the plastic body of the Seca is an awesome feature - it produces a lightweight unit that is comfortable to the touch ( not hot ) while the LEDs are mounted directly to heatsink within millimeters from the fins, whereas on Betty the heat must travel more than an inch through a labyrinth before it even gets to the fins.

i owned a Lupine before - i returned it for refund - i didn't really like anything about it. it claimed a lot of lumens for its size - that's about it. it was too hot to the touch, and the beam pattern was ugly. the cable plug was the worst i have ever seen and the charger was 10 times the size of the light itself. it did look cute however ( the light, not the charger ).

whatever as i said knock yourself out - buy the Betty LOL. i don't care.

as for what John said - he's on my ignore list so i have no idea who he is talking to.

Lupine is a sad company that survives only on having the highest lumens and the highest prices - which combined give it an aura of "eliteness" which causes hordes of Fanboys to buy them.

reality is that a single "4500" lumen light that steps down to 2900 has no advantage over two "1700" Lumen lights which deliver an honest 3600 lumens combined, and with a better beam pattern, for half the price.

now if he had TWO bettys on his helmet ... then i would acknowledge defeat :)

heheh ...

look. Seca is a better design than Betty PERIOD. Seca is the best light ever designed, ever in human history. Betty is just another me-too bad Chinese light - there are hundreds like it - and there is nothing special about this Chinese light except that it's made in Germany - but it's still Chinese - because it uses the same design as 90% of the Chinese lights do. on the other hand NO OTHER LIGHT uses the design that Seca uses.

the only difference between Lupine and some kind of ChinaSuperLuxSevenStar light is that Lupine steps down, and the Chinese lights are already stepped down. that's about it. both claim 4,000 Lumens.

i'm sorry that you people think if its expensive it must be good even when it uses the same design as $30 chinese lights ...

in fact $30 chinese lights use BETTER design than Betty - because at least they use reflectors ...

look. $80G Nissan GTR beat $150G Porsche 911 Turbo, $150G 911 Turbo beat most $300,000 Supercars, and then both Chevy Corvette and Dodge Viper beat Nissan GTR ... why ? because better engineering is better engineering - it doesn't matter where it is made or how much it costs or anything else.

Light and Motion is made in California - that's the same place where Apple, Google, Tesla, NASA, DARPA etc are from. Almost everything that was invented in the last 100 years has been invented in California - things like Transistors, Internet, GPS satellites etc. the last time Germany was great was before WW2 and then US flattened it with bombs, stole all of Hitler's scientists and moved them to ... to California, where they proceeded to invent some of those things that i mentioned.

So you don't think a company from California can out-design a German company ? think whatever you want ! I'm just telling you how it is.

look i give credit where credit is due - Busch & Muller have incredibly interesting designs - i think both the IQ2 and Bing Bang are super cool. i drive a German car myself, my last car was also German. even my bathroom exhaust fan is made in Germany. my Philips Saferide is designed in Germany. i LOVE German engineering. I love Germany so much i watch German television in German language over internet from New York City BUT !

BUT Lupine still sucks. sorry.

Lupine was my FIRST light - i fell for all the hype and i wanted a German product so i got it, but now i know better because now i understand the engineering and design issues involved in making lights.

as i said, i still love Germany, but also California. i have four lights made in California - Two Seca 1700s and Two MonkeyLectric M232s and they are all awesome.

MORE LUMENS DOES NOT EQUAL BETTER DESIGN - is that really that hard to understand ?

#4 ·
A mount for the Betty R remote (kind of wristband) will be enclosed with these lamps in future (literally: "soon").
Lupine will send these mounts for free to all existing Betty R users on request, a page will be installed for "orders" (literally: "in some weeks"). Of course I can't answer for the US and the like, maybe this will be organized over Gretna etc..
? Thema anzeigen - Neuer Halter für den Betty R Funk

regards

#5 ·
I would love to see a narrower beam available on the Betty R, I personally find my old Betty (2600lm) on the handlebars overpowers the Betty R as a helmet light unless I run the bar mounted light at 38% or 50% max. It is then that the weight of the 3600lm Betty R has an impact upon the trails

#6 ·
Why don't you use the New Bety on the bars and the old one on the helmet?
How are you aiming your helmet light? I'm asking because a spot will always "overpower" a wide lens because the concentrated light but I find it very distracting and also mess with my night vision by dilating my pupils even more and then when I look away I perceive less light in fornt of me.
Try to aim your helmet light to the horizon and use it only to see around the corners and far down the trail, not in front of you (try to "ride" with the handlebar light; it will give you a better depth perception ;-) )
Cheers

#12 ·
Some news:
- As written before, improvement of the current models with more output, Piko is mentioned with 1200 lumen.
- As mentioned, new Betty torchlight (BTL2) with more output, central LED will be red (??, whatever ...)
- And, hear hear, a backlight coming this fall, "waterproof", working with ordinary batteries AND with accumulator, aluminium housing, price already known 77 Euros, separated from front lamp/accumulator, described as "very bright, but nothing excessive, nothing of the Dinotte backlight sort"

regards

#18 ·
A bit of news I would liked to have seen from Lupine is the evolution of the Betty-R's remote. One that would have the output indicator led's incorporated into the remote itself so as to know for sure what output level one was using while the lamp head was been used on the helmet. That's if the technology is even available.

#19 ·
The announced Lupine backlight will run with a CR123A battery. Will run with ordinary batteries as well as with a rechargeable accumulator of same size. Backlight will be shipped with a rechargeable accumulator.
Changing the battery said to be very easy, the backlight comes with several "reasonable" modes and with a capacity indicator, backlight is said to have an advanced efficiency unklike most ordinary backlights losing/wasting half the energy in resistors etc.. A mount to fix the backlight directly on the saddle is planned, but will come "later". Charging will work over USB.

• Thema anzeigen - Neues von Lupine

#20 ·
A german guy of a torchlight forum obviously keeps a prototype of the new Betty torchlight BTL2 in his hands.
According to his postings, the new Betty torchlight will put out 4500 real lumen, weight less than 300 grams and the central red (??) led will be an XP-E, the others XM-L2. Running with 45W.

Other informantion is the new Wilma will have an output of 2800 lumen, and the Piko with 1200 lumen will run with XM-L2 leds.

Die Gemeinheit des Tages
News von Lupine: Betty TL2, BettyR upgrade, Piko mit 1200 Lumen uvm...

#21 ·
a 1200 lumen Piko would be a fantastic helmet light to use with the 2400 Wilma. I've been using my old 1500 lumen Wilma. Too, two 1200 Pikos - one of the bar, one on the helmet would also be a fantastic combo. 2400 lumens (i.e. 2 car headlight equivalent) in a very small and light package.

J.

#25 ·
According to the Lupine boss all the new gear will be available/deliverable in the Lupine shop starting from the "Outdoor" fair in Ludwigshafen (Germany) taking place 11.-14. Juli. Up to the new Betty R which needs some molding machine not yet delivered, so it will take "some weeks" more. BTL 2 announced "soon".
New Piko is announced to be available starting from "this week".
• Thema anzeigen - Neuigkeiten im Shop

regards

#26 ·
Just watched a Lupine promotional video and it looks like the new Betty R will have 4500 ansi lumens with three battery options. Betty R-7 with 6.6Ah/ Betty R-10 with 9.9Ah/ Betty R-14 with 13.2Ah. Looks like Lupine has put higher capacity cells in their smart core battery's this year. Also the new Wilma will have 2800 lumen output , and as already mentioned the Piko with 1200 lumens. Cheers!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.