Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Some Lupine news

Some Lupine news

The boss of Lupine ("Wolf" in the forum) made some statements in the official forum:

- New lamps (improvement of the current models, as I understand it) with 20-30% more output compared to the current model, a new Betty torchlight ("BTL 2"), batteries with more capacity, option to mount all new lamps on a Go Pro mount.
    ? Thema anzeigen - Neues von Lupine

- There will be no Wilma R (with wireless remote), since it would cost too much and would push the price near a Betty R

- Option for an upgrade for the current Betty R; for the upgrade the lamp must be sent to the factory. Said to be cheaper than to manufacture and sell DIY upgrade kits. New Betty R will light slightly less wide and with a stronger central spot.

- Click mount system for the smartcore batteries, something of this sort: ? Thema anzeigen - Neue Akku-Rahmenhalterung

No release dates were mentioned ...

regards
    Last edited by CHnuschti; 04-24-2013 at 05:12 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the news. Keep the updates coming. New Betty TL would be nice.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Nice!
    Thanks
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    A mount for the Betty R remote (kind of wristband) will be enclosed with these lamps in future (literally: "soon").
    Lupine will send these mounts for free to all existing Betty R users on request, a page will be installed for "orders" (literally: "in some weeks"). Of course I can't answer for the US and the like, maybe this will be organized over Gretna etc..
    ? Thema anzeigen - Neuer Halter fr den Betty R Funk

regards

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I would love to see a narrower beam available on the Betty R, I personally find my old Betty (2600lm) on the handlebars overpowers the Betty R as a helmet light unless I run the bar mounted light at 38% or 50% max. It is then that the weight of the 3600lm Betty R has an impact upon the trails

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quiggs1974 View Post
    I would love to see a narrower beam available on the Betty R, I personally find my old Betty (2600lm) on the handlebars overpowers the Betty R as a helmet light unless I run the bar mounted light at 38% or 50% max. It is then that the weight of the 3600lm Betty R has an impact upon the trails
    Why don't you use the New Bety on the bars and the old one on the helmet?
    How are you aiming your helmet light? I'm asking because a spot will always "overpower" a wide lens because the concentrated light but I find it very distracting and also mess with my night vision by dilating my pupils even more and then when I look away I perceive less light in fornt of me.
    Try to aim your helmet light to the horizon and use it only to see around the corners and far down the trail, not in front of you (try to "ride" with the handlebar light; it will give you a better depth perception ;-) )
    Cheers
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    Why don't you use the New Bety on the bars and the old one on the helmet?
    How are you aiming your helmet light? I'm asking because a spot will always "overpower" a wide lens because the concentrated light but I find it very distracting and also mess with my night vision by dilating my pupils even more and then when I look away I perceive less light in fornt of me.
    Try to aim your helmet light to the horizon and use it only to see around the corners and far down the trail, not in front of you (try to "ride" with the handlebar light; it will give you a better depth perception ;-) )
    Cheers
    The benefit of the Betty R is the remote to change light intensity without taking hands off the handlebars, having the lights the other way round defeats the purpose of having the remote.

I recently had 10+ hrs, in a solo 24hr race to experiment with balance between the light combos to gain the best balance between light intensity, light throw, spread and balance of light that provides ample light that enables shadows on the trail to exist.

Results found betty on bars running at 58% and Betty R on helmet toggling btw 100% for downhill and really fast single track, then idling at around 40% max for the rest of the time. The joy of lupine light sets is the ability to run them at 1/2 power and still have more than enough light for the majority of the time.

Back to my original preference a slightly narrower beam would enable a greater throw of light (30-40mts) while running the light at a lesser intensity.

Quiggs

mtbr member

Re: Some Lupine news

So the Betty R is going to be 4000+ lumens now?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    '08 Turner Highline
    '00 DBR X6

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quiggs1974 View Post
    The benefit of the Betty R is the remote to change light intensity without taking hands off the handlebars, having the lights the other way round defeats the purpose of having the remote.

I recently had 10+ hrs, in a solo 24hr race to experiment with balance between the light combos to gain the best balance between light intensity, light throw, spread and balance of light that provides ample light that enables shadows on the trail to exist.

Results found betty on bars running at 58% and Betty R on helmet toggling btw 100% for downhill and really fast single track, then idling at around 40% max for the rest of the time. The joy of lupine light sets is the ability to run them at 1/2 power and still have more than enough light for the majority of the time.

Back to my original preference a slightly narrower beam would enable a greater throw of light (30-40mts) while running the light at a lesser intensity.

Quiggs
    Hey whatever works for you
    Cheers
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    If there are anymore specifics of the new lights in English that someone could post I would be most appreciative for the info.
    '08 Turner Highline
    '00 DBR X6

mtbr member
    Nothing new yet I take it? I would be nice if Lupine wasn't so cryptic in their updates about product development. And include the info in other languages since much of their business isn't just Germany. Guess I will just have to wait some more.
    '08 Turner Highline
    '00 DBR X6

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Some news:
    - As written before, improvement of the current models with more output, Piko is mentioned with 1200 lumen.
    - As mentioned, new Betty torchlight (BTL2) with more output, central LED will be red (??, whatever ...)
    - And, hear hear, a backlight coming this fall, "waterproof", working with ordinary batteries AND with accumulator, aluminium housing, price already known 77 Euros, separated from front lamp/accumulator, described as "very bright, but nothing excessive, nothing of the Dinotte backlight sort"

regards

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Some Lupine news

What a shame - backlight street legal in Germany - that is probably why it is not bright. I love my Dinotte - would not use anything else.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I wouldn't sign that. So far no Lupine product was street legal in Germany, I guess this backlight will not make the exception.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Personally would not use a wrist mounted remote for the Betty R. That would require removing one (or both!) hands from the handlebars to use. I find the bar mounted (Peppi V4 mount) remote very convenient, easy to use, and safe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rgurney View Post
    Personally would not use a wrist mounted remote for the Betty R. That would require removing one (or both!) hands from the handlebars to use. I find the bar mounted (Peppi V4 mount) remote very convenient, easy to use, and safe.
    It seems to me that best use for the wrist mounted remote would be for caving,night skiing, or hiking. I think they have it right as is with the Peppi for biking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Indebt - You are correct. Thanks for broadening my viewpoint

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    A bit of news I would liked to have seen from Lupine is the evolution of the Betty-R's remote. One that would have the output indicator led's incorporated into the remote itself so as to know for sure what output level one was using while the lamp head was been used on the helmet. That's if the technology is even available.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The announced Lupine backlight will run with a CR123A battery. Will run with ordinary batteries as well as with a rechargeable accumulator of same size. Backlight will be shipped with a rechargeable accumulator.
    Changing the battery said to be very easy, the backlight comes with several "reasonable" modes and with a capacity indicator, backlight is said to have an advanced efficiency unklike most ordinary backlights losing/wasting half the energy in resistors etc.. A mount to fix the backlight directly on the saddle is planned, but will come "later". Charging will work over USB.

• Thema anzeigen - Neues von Lupine

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    A german guy of a torchlight forum obviously keeps a prototype of the new Betty torchlight BTL2 in his hands.
    According to his postings, the new Betty torchlight will put out 4500 real lumen, weight less than 300 grams and the central red (??) led will be an XP-E, the others XM-L2. Running with 45W.

Other informantion is the new Wilma will have an output of 2800 lumen, and the Piko with 1200 lumen will run with XM-L2 leds.

Die Gemeinheit des Tages
    News von Lupine: Betty TL2, BettyR upgrade, Piko mit 1200 Lumen uvm...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    a 1200 lumen Piko would be a fantastic helmet light to use with the 2400 Wilma. I've been using my old 1500 lumen Wilma. Too, two 1200 Pikos - one of the bar, one on the helmet would also be a fantastic combo. 2400 lumens (i.e. 2 car headlight equivalent) in a very small and light package.

J.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    a 1200 lumen Piko would be a fantastic helmet light to use with the 2400 Wilma. I've been using my old 1500 lumen Wilma. Too, two 1200 Pikos - one of the bar, one on the helmet would also be a fantastic combo. 2400 lumens (i.e. 2 car headlight equivalent) in a very small and light package.

J.
    I hope they have good heat management for sure. the 900 piko got damn hot in a matter of a minute or two when stopped. You HAVE to keep moving with these beasts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    New Piko torchlight now listed in the Lupine shop.
    Running with 13W (so same as in the current model) and 1200 lumen on max. lens angle 22 degrees, so the Piko bike/headlight will likely be the same.
    Piko TL Max Lampenset - schwarz-d277b
    http://www.lupine.de/files/manuals/P...1200_Lumen.pdf

regards

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What was the beam angle on the Piko at 750 and 900 lumens? Still 22 degrees? I have the 750 version and it strikes me that it is narrower than my Wilma 2400.

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    According to the Lupine boss all the new gear will be available/deliverable in the Lupine shop starting from the "Outdoor" fair in Ludwigshafen (Germany) taking place 11.-14. Juli. Up to the new Betty R which needs some molding machine not yet delivered, so it will take "some weeks" more. BTL 2 announced "soon".
    New Piko is announced to be available starting from "this week".
    • Thema anzeigen - Neuigkeiten im Shop

regards

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast