Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Some Lupine news

24K views 146 replies 24 participants last post by  Diamondback_X6 
#1 · (Edited)
Some Lupine news

The boss of Lupine ("Wolf" in the forum) made some statements in the official forum:

- New lamps (improvement of the current models, as I understand it) with 20-30% more output compared to the current model, a new Betty torchlight ("BTL 2"), batteries with more capacity, option to mount all new lamps on a Go Pro mount.
? Thema anzeigen - Neues von Lupine

- There will be no Wilma R (with wireless remote), since it would cost too much and would push the price near a Betty R

- Option for an upgrade for the current Betty R; for the upgrade the lamp must be sent to the factory. Said to be cheaper than to manufacture and sell DIY upgrade kits. New Betty R will light slightly less wide and with a stronger central spot.

- Click mount system for the smartcore batteries, something of this sort: ? Thema anzeigen - Neue Akku-Rahmenhalterung

No release dates were mentioned ...

regards

See less See more
#100 ·
Extensive review of the new Piko 1200 lumen in a german torchlight forum: Lupine Piko X Duo und X4 mit 1200 Lumen // Test / Messungen / Bilder //
With measurements. Also a simulation of motion over ventilators, simulating an approx. 20 or 8 kilometers per hour motion. May give some hints about the behaviour of its dimming.

Some nice comparative pics, notably the comparison of Piko & Piko TL (flashlight) with or without the new diffusor offered. The "white" diffusor seems to be meant for hikers, joggers etc., or also just as a light to be used "immobile" in a camping or the like. Loss through the diffusor is measured to be just some 10% of the lumen. My guess is there is no glare using the diffusor.

There was also a confirmation that all the new Betty R 4500 lumen come with the new plugs.

#111 ·
Good point, i'm guessing you would only get maybe three minutes on full power before stepdown. My Nitecore TM-26 is a fair bit more beefy than the Betty TL2 and at 3500 lumens it steps down in the four minute range so three minutes may even be a stretch for the Betty TL2. Very cool though to have such a tiny flashlight in you hand putting out those lumens even if just for a short time.

#115 ·
Yeh I know MaximusHQ, tempting though isn't it,,, fall time is the worst for me when Lupine comes out with it's latest and greatest. I know I've said this before but I think i'm good for a couple of years now,or until Cree figures out a led that will stay cool enough at high output that you can run full out with out much step down if at all.

Ok ok ok, we'll see about next year.

#116 ·
I think i'm good for a couple of years now,or until Cree figures out a led that will stay cool enough at high output that you can run full out with out much step down if at all.
Running an XML at 3A and 85C case temperature you get 6% decrease in lumen maintenance after 6,000 hours. I'm guessing this is a bit warmer than most light heads get and a bit longer than most riders ride (ever). :thumbsup:
www.cree.com/xlamp_app_notes/LM80_results

#117 ·
Defiantly more hours than I would ever ride, guess better wording would be cool enough (60c) or less, that where we are now at the ansi outputs with the Xm-L2's that lamp head internals wouldn't be effected thus no stepping down in output. Example,,, Betty-R stays at 4500 lumens with half the airflow needed now based on same ambient temperature. Hope I'm making sense. Cheers!!:)

#118 ·
Debating on a good 2x lupine system. This will be for everything-- all night mountain bike singletrack rides from sunset to sunrise, all night dirt road rides in the middle of nowhere, commuting around town, and everything in between. I am thinking Piko 4 or 7 for the helmet, and maybe a wilma 10 or 14 for the handlebars. A few questions though-- money is always a factor, but is the Betty that much better than the Wilma that it's worth the cost? I feel like it might be diminishing returns at that point over the Wilma.

Think I could easily get away with a 2x Piko system running one on the handlebars and one on the helmet? Or is it worth the money and weight upgrade to grab a Wilma/Betty to compliment a Piko?

Does anyone here run a Piko TLmax flashlight on either their helmet or handlebars and like it? I do like fully contained systems when possible, but would be losing out on some battery life by going integrated like that.

Also, I hate a heavy helmet, so Piko is really as heavy as I'd wanna go for a helmet light. I might even get 2 of the smaller batteries instead of one bigger one just to feel less weight up there

#119 ·
Debating on a good 2x lupine system. This will be for everything-- all night mountain bike singletrack rides from sunset to sunrise, all night dirt road rides in the middle of nowhere, commuting around town, and everything in between. I am thinking Piko 4 or 7 for the helmet, and maybe a wilma 10 or 14 for the handlebars. A few questions though-- money is always a factor, but is the Betty that much better than the Wilma that it's worth the cost? I feel like it might be diminishing returns at that point over the Wilma.

Think I could easily get away with a 2x Piko system running one on the handlebars and one on the helmet? Or is it worth the money and weight upgrade to grab a Wilma/Betty to compliment a Piko?

Does anyone here run a Piko TLmax flashlight on either their helmet or handlebars and like it? I do like fully contained systems when possible, but would be losing out on some battery life by going integrated like that.

Also, I hate a heavy helmet, so Piko is really as heavy as I'd wanna go for a helmet light. I might even get 2 of the smaller batteries instead of one bigger one just to feel less weight up there
Two Piko 7's would be a great set up, super light and four hour run times on the highest settings. Or as you mentioned going with a pair of smaller battery's to keep the helmet self contained.

If in your budget a Wilma 14 for the bars would be obviously a significant step up. I think this would be the best of both worlds for what I think your looking for. 4000lumen set up with long battery life as you could run all night with more that enough light at half power.

As for the Betty-R I think it would over power the Piko as the output difference between the two are significant but maybe better be answered by someone who is running that combo. I have a pair of betty-R 12's last years model and I do love the set up especially as I control both lamp heads off of just one remote. But unless a wireless remote as really important to you, there is much better value I think in going with the Wilma as the extra lumens from the betty-R would only be usable on very fast descents, not to mention a lot more coin.

#120 ·
I agree with indebt - the Betty would wipe out the Pika on the helmet. I also doubt that you would use the Betty on full much.

In general, I've found that a ration of 2:1 for bars/helmet seems to work the best. I have an older 1500 lumen wilma and it worked very well with my 750 lumen Pika. But now, with the new Wilma at 2400, it gets lost in the Wilma's beam and would be best paired with the new Pika at 1200 lumens.

A two Pika system would also be pretty good but I'd like a touch more on the bars and would pair that with a Wilma instead. But if weight, size and runtime are more important than the raw lumens, then the twin Pika system is hard to beat. You can, for instance, run just on the bars with the Wilma - which I do during bug season, but with the twin Pikas I think you'd need to run them together all the time.

J.

#121 ·
Thanks guys! Yeah I guess Ill pull the trigger on a piko and a wilma then. I heard from a friend though that he ruined one a few years back because the battery connection on his wasn't fully waterproof and it got wet and shorted. I there anything to worry about on that end? I ride in the pouring rain sometimes and can't be worrying about something like that

#122 ·
I've been riding in Squamish/Whistler BC on the (wet) coast with the lupines for approx four years now without any issues other than a bit of condensation on one of my lamp heads. Gretna took care of that issue even after the warranty ended. They are awesome to deal with. It may have been an issue where the plug wasn't pushed in all the way a few times as they are very tight fitting and moisture corroded the connector, or your buddy didn't keep the connections lubed with Lupines Dutch Grease. Defiantly very weather resistant products so wet weather ready.

#123 ·
Lupine is sort of the class of the class of bike lights if you take their product line as a whole.

Although Lupine hasn't said so, the Wilma and Pika combination just really seems like it was designed to be complementary. The Wilma (at least to me) seems smaller in real life than it looks in pictures and the Pika is downright tiny. A Pika on the helmet with the extension cable to a battery in the pocket would be hard to tell you had anything on the helmet at all.

The Pika has a narrower beam that fits within the Wilma (wider beam's hotspot). When you are riding and looking straight ahead, it's like you have one light.

J.

#125 ·
The Center LED is mentioned first on page 35. The manual refers you to page 40, where in small print is ".3W Center-LED" next to the step which shows 4 red LEDS (in working condition, those red LEDs will not light up). Press and hold the button for 4 seconds until one green LED lights up, then release the button. The cycle of brightness levels begins to automatically cycle. Follow the sequence of brightness levels which progresses automatically. When the sequence gets through the blue leds, watch carefully for the Center LED to go on. Then quickly press the button.

#130 ·
I have done exactly that, but the center-led doesn't light up. I can select the mode that is indicated by four red leds, but the center led does not light up. When I exit the programming mode, and select the center-led mode, the lamp waits maybe two seconds and reverts back to other mode that I have set up. Maybe my lamphead is faulty, but that's why I was wondering if it works for someone else in here?

The center led might be useful in city traffic so that other people notice you in dark. The lowest power "normal" mode (1W) that uses six leds is still quite bright when you compare it to normal low power leds lights that e.g. commuters use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.