Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What is the center LED for?

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Center led is for a 0.3watt dim reading light or map light, not a feature I've used or probably ever will use myself. Some may.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ah. That for sure would have application in backcountry uses, SAR, etc....

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yes defiantly SAR, or caving etc. I wouldn't want to use it night riding though as I believe that once you have that super low in you settings it could be hazardous as I wouldn't want to come upon a slower technical section decide to cycle down from 7200 lumens and hit that ultra low setting as you would be blinded for a second until you pressed the remote for the next programed output. I think Lupine would have utilized that center led better had they made that singe led programmable up to it's potential ,0.3watts and a few higher outputs up to 750.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rgurney View Post
    The Center LED is mentioned first on page 35. The manual refers you to page 40, where in small print is ".3W Center-LED" next to the step which shows 4 red LEDS (in working condition, those red LEDs will not light up). Press and hold the button for 4 seconds until one green LED lights up, then release the button. The cycle of brightness levels begins to automatically cycle. Follow the sequence of brightness levels which progresses automatically. When the sequence gets through the blue leds, watch carefully for the Center LED to go on. Then quickly press the button.
    I have done exactly that, but the center-led doesn't light up. I can select the mode that is indicated by four red leds, but the center led does not light up. When I exit the programming mode, and select the center-led mode, the lamp waits maybe two seconds and reverts back to other mode that I have set up. Maybe my lamphead is faulty, but that's why I was wondering if it works for someone else in here?

The center led might be useful in city traffic so that other people notice you in dark. The lowest power "normal" mode (1W) that uses six leds is still quite bright when you compare it to normal low power leds lights that e.g. commuters use.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    According to the Lupine Forum (in English mode), the center LED on full power would overheat as it is too far from the housing to conduct heat well, therefore it is used as indebt says, for dim light reading. Will check with Bill at Gretna for the correct way to turn it on.

mtbr member
    How heavy does the battery for the Piko 7 feel on your helmeted head? I am debating getting the Piko 7 as a helmet light, or getting the Piko 4 with an extra battery. I'd obviously rather not carry around extra crap if I dont have to, but that Piko 7 battery looks kinda bulky

Also, most of the lights on Lupine's site just have 3 run times listed. For instance, on the Piko page it just lists runtimes at 0.4, 4, and 13 watts. Is that all you get with these lights or are there settings in between?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    You wouldn't like the Piko 7 Battery on your helmet, anything more than a two cell battery will feel to heavy in my opinion on the lid. If you are comfortable putting the battery in your jersey pocket or camel pack you wouldn't even know you had a Piko on your helmet.

Google Gretna bikes click on Lupine lighting Piko class, when that page opens up scroll down you should be able to click on the (manual) icon and it will download the information on run times and all features.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ditto what indebt says. I don't like having any battery on the helmet although the 2 cell version is tolerable. I prefer to use the extension cable that comes with the Piko and put the battery in my jersey pocket. That works great.

It's an individual thing, though and I'm pretty picky anyhow.

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Opposed as what I've written previously, there will be an update for the older pre-R-Bettys:
    • Thema anzeigen - Betty Upgrade, nicht R
    Seems they have changed mind against commercial reason. A copper board with 7 XML 2, said to give +600 lumen, announced for "still this year".
    Still not fully clear if available for both variants with inner and outer switch, but I guess there will be an upgrade for both.

regards

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanx CHnuschti for the update. It's nice Lupine has given the 1st Gen Betty-R owners an upgrade option. Myself I wouldn't be interested for the lumen gains as I believe one would hardly notice the extra 600 lumens. Where the upgrade may be appealing to some and myself, is that the reported cooler running XM-L2 leds may help reduce the lamp head temperature translating into less air flow needed for high output. That would be very beneficial to those in warmer climates.

mtbr member
    I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Wilma/bar and Piko/helmet combo and wanted to get some forum input on battery sizes for the two. I will be storing the Piko headlight battery either in a jersey or hydration pack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG View Post
    I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Wilma/bar and Piko/helmet combo and wanted to get some forum input on battery sizes for the two. I will be storing the Piko headlight battery either in a jersey or hydration pack.
    That will be a killer set up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Most important question is how long are your rides,,,, and do you live in a cool climate as I do which can affect battery performance?

Having to do a bit of guessing here and I will assume you rides will be longer than two hours I would go for the Piko 7 as you will be putting the battery in your jersey pocket. This will give you up to four hours of run time on the highest setting or a bit less in cooler climates or an aging battery down the road.

To stay with the run times I would go with the 13.2 mAh smartcore on the Wilma 14 as that will give you three hours and twenty minutes of run time on the highest setting. I always like to have a bit more battery than I need incase of an unexpected long ride or brake down, or as already mentioned, in cooler temperatures or an aging battery I would still have lots of performance.

If your rides tend to be shorter than two hours, go with the Piko 4, and one size smaller battery (9.9aMh) smartcore for your Wilma 10. Cheers!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I agree that that is a totally awesome set up. It's what I ride with but I have the 2400 lumen Wilma and the 750 lumen Piko. I typically ride with my Wilma on the road and don't run it full out (don't need to). I run it at about 2000 lumens or whatever the default is for the middle brightness. That's fine for most things. When descending at speed, I'll kick it up to full.

My Piko is not bright enough to run against the Wilma and so I'm thinking of upgrading it. I actually use it as my emergency light or around the house as a headlight. I was using my 1500 lumen Wilma as a helmet light but ran that at the middle setting too (about 1000 lumens) so it should be approximately equal to your newer Piko.

Using that set up with the (then) 5aH battery, 1 hour to 1.5 hour rides are no problem. I never had a battery go flat on me even though I do carry an extra one. I have the 2.7Ah battery for the Piko and it seems to run on that forever even full out.

If you are going to use a backpack, and you're not worried about money, I'd go one of two ways - get several of the smaller 3Ah batteries and then plan on switching them. They are so small that I like how they fit under a stem. Very unobtrusive so it would be worth it switch a battery after an hour or so. Otherwise, I'd get two of the 6Ah batteries and go with that.

If you are mountain biking then you might want to consider two Pikos. That could be a really killer set up if you think you need a helmet light. You wouldn't know either of them are there, they are so small.

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Some delay for the upgrade boards/platine for the pre-Betty_R Bettys (older models with 26W or less). Announced now for end of January.
    ? Thema anzeigen - Betty Upgrade, nicht R

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Upgrade for the old Bettys with 26W or less (pre R Models) are now available (for 95 Euros): Upgrade 2013

It was measured that the very old 1st-generation Bettys with the red board/platine (P4 leds i think) come from 750 to whooping 2600 lumen with this upgrade. That's quite a jump.
    For the last available pre-R-Betty with 2600 lumen the upgrade delivers 3000 lumen.
    ? Thema anzeigen - Betty Upgrade, nicht R

regards

mtbr member
    The TL Minimax has gone up in price a bunch since last yr. Do Lupines ever go on sale, or have discount codes at all? Is gretna the best place to order?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    No. No. Yes.

J.

mtbr member
    Ahh, thanks J

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Diffusor for Wilma and Betty R announced for "next week": ? Thema anzeigen - was so läuft
    Listed as available in the lupine shop: Filter & Diffusor
    Light output said to be just 10% less and some efforts were taken in order not to lose too much throw. Not as clip on, the original frontcap must be removed, the diffusor is to be screwed on the thread.

regards

EDIT: will be available also for older versions/models of the Betty and Wilma.
    Last edited by CHnuschti; 05-01-2014 at 01:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks again for the update!
    '08 Turner Highline
    '00 DBR X6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6