Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    Both my Betty & Wilma are going strong on original batteries. They are both gen1 (2007?). I'm on the waitlist for the new 4500
    Wow you are gonna go for one of those beasts. Can't wait to hear how you like it compared to your other Lupines.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    First glance of the colored filters and the diffusor for the Piko and Piko TL. The purpose of the colored filters is beyond me, but here they are:
    • Thema anzeigen - Coming soon - filters and diffusors
    Last edited by CHnuschti; 09-27-2013 at 05:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I don't get the colored thing either.

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    I don't get the colored thing either.

J.
    Hey John, long time. I think I know what it's about. We had similar request for red and green lens a year ago. It's for watercraft navigation lights displaying port or starboard and a sternlight at night. Looks like Lupine is expanding their market and going to sea. Refer to page 10 & 11 in this manual.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Has been a while.

I'm overly familiar with the fiberglass holes in the water into which one pours money - aka "boats". Most boat navigation lights are something like 10W bulbs so so. At least that's the case for anything that would be in the reach of any volume or consumers. So the lumen ratings of Piko, Wilma or Bettys are literally orders of magnitude of overkill.

I've used my wilma and piko on the water, but the beam is too wide to be useful - spill is bad on a boat, you wind up lighting up the boat and destroying your night vision and you don't have enough reach to find a navigation marker. So I guess I'd question the sanity of addressing the marine market. It's not my choice for marine light especially for the port/starboard navigation lights (red, green).

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Has been a while.

I'm overly familiar with the fiberglass holes in the water into which one pours money - aka "boats". Most boat navigation lights are something like 10W bulbs so so. At least that's the case for anything that would be in the reach of any volume or consumers. So the lumen ratings of Piko, Wilma or Bettys are literally orders of magnitude of overkill.

I've used my wilma and piko on the water, but the beam is too wide to be useful - spill is bad on a boat, you wind up lighting up the boat and destroying your night vision and you don't have enough reach to find a navigation marker. So I guess I'd question the sanity of addressing the marine market. It's not my choice for marine light especially for the port/starboard navigation lights (red, green).

J.
    You're probably right. However that boating manual does say depending on the length of the boat the red and green light must be visible up to 2 miles away. Really doubt a 10W bulb will do the job if that was the distance required by law. Maybe marine rules will or have changed and Lupine saw an opportunity. The red, green and clear lens may tighten up the beam pattern but then again, I'm speculating.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    No, they are pretty much the same. I was just looking at this for changing the nav lights on my sailboat over to LED based. All of the lighting for boats <65' is pretty much the 0.8A/10W light bulb (in incandescent). The LED bulbs are 0.1A or about 1W. Both of those satisfy the 2 mile requirement.

I'm wondering that since we're probably hitting the ceiling on lumens at 4500 lumens (and at that much, who cares about the beam shape), that they are starting to cast around for new attractive features. I have seen at least one photographer who uses a Betty to "paint" with light. Maybe adding the filter is in support of that. I would guess that if they get the filter ring to match the size of photographic filters, they have a ready market of add ons.

J.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Red Filter doesn't mess with your night vision. So you can use it to read maps or find stuff and turn it off again and still see at night. They would be used mostly with the flashlight.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    i owned a Lupine before - i returned it for refund - i didn't really like anything about it.
    In this world there are people that discuss things in a positive way and people that don't. If you don't like Lupine, what are you doing in this discussion?
    I have owned L&M too... wait until you crash your plastic light (which by the way looks like a 5 year old chinese boy glued it together LOL) and you have to send it for repair... I know I can order a front lens and keep my light and I know first hand how tough they are... please don't show how ignorant and silly you are....
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Lupine Piko 4 vs
    Lupine Piko 900 lumens? Which to choose?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pro_ohp View Post
    Lupine Piko 4 vs
    Lupine Piko 900 lumens? Which to choose?
    Strange question I would say? The "4" in the "Piko 4" just refers to the battery capacity. Actual Piko model has 1200 lumen, with the same 13W as the previous model with 900 lumen had, but the price has not changed AFAIK.
    So unless you can get a somehow enough savory rebated 900 lume Piko, I would clearly go for the latest version.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It's probably better to refer to the Pikos by lumen rating. I *think* this is how they break out:

Piko 1: 500 lumens
    Piko 2: 750 lumens
    Piko 3: 900 lumens (last year)
    Piko 4: 1200 lumens (this year).

Gretnabikes just finished converting over everything to 1200 lumens from the 900 lumen version. Just noticed on their website.

It's worth noting that a two light system using two Piko 4's would be awesome. One on the bar, one on the helmet. Would be pretty hard to find a comparable system at that weight or brightness to match.

J.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Lupine Wilma 6 26°/1500 Lumen it worth money?

mtbr member
    All this Lupine talk is motivating me. Lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pro_ohp View Post
    Lupine Wilma 6 26°/1500 Lumen it worth money?
    Great light. I have one (light only) that I may be interested in selling. I upgraded to the Wilma 2400.

What I like about the Wilma's is that they are a nice combination of throw and spill, they are small, and they are easy to work when on the bar.

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Some fun with lupine gear: comparison Lupine Bettys against the lights of a BMW car: Xenon vs. Lupine Betty - Der etwas andere Beamshot... - YouTube
    Without doubt senseless, but hilarious. The equipment alone is worth an applause.

mtbr member
    WoW

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CHnuschti View Post
    Some fun with lupine gear: comparison Lupine Bettys against the lights of a BMW car: Xenon vs. Lupine Betty - Der etwas andere Beamshot... - YouTube
    Without doubt senseless, but hilarious. The equipment alone is worth an applause.
    Quite the video CHnuschti!! The HID's didn't look like they were doing much in comparison the the Betty-R's. I wonder how accurate that depiction is compared to real life. The betty-R's look close to what I see when i'm riding, however the BMW Hid's I've seen in real life looked brighter than that video's. Good Find!!! Cheers!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It's probably pretty close if for no other reason than the Betty's are 4500 lumens and the car headlights are 1300 lumens. That's more than 3X the lumens.

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Incandescent headlights are 1300 lumens, I think the BMW's headlights are HID's which are around 3000 lumens each. I'll have to go watch the video again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Wow, I stand corrected. It is about 3000 lumens.

What is the brightest hid headlight allowed by law

But that's at the bulb.

Brightness is measured at various points in the beam and there is a profile that the mfg has to conform too. For example, you can't have a pencil thin beam at 3000 lumens. This probably translates into a lux measurement (i.e. lumens per square area) at spots in the beam.

That's interesting - I had been getting into discussions about bike lights blinding people and maintaining that at the current lights we are not even approaching (on average) the standard for car headlights at (what I thought) as 1300 lumens. Turns out this is far less of a problem than ever by about a factor of 2.5x.

j.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yes those HID lumens are at the bulb i'm pretty sure but even 15% loss are still going to be north of 5K for the pair,, which sure looked a lot less bright than that in the video. I wonder if it was just an issue of the camera not making the adjustment between the two sets of lights. Anyway I can vouch that the two Betty R's are that bright to my eyes in the real world.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It's probably a lot more than a 15% loss, actually.

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    How much loss do you think? If a lot more than my 15% guess, that may help explain why it looked so dim on the video. Cheers!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Extensive review of the new Piko 1200 lumen in a german torchlight forum: Lupine Piko X Duo und X4 mit 1200 Lumen // Test / Messungen / Bilder //
    With measurements. Also a simulation of motion over ventilators, simulating an approx. 20 or 8 kilometers per hour motion. May give some hints about the behaviour of its dimming.

Some nice comparative pics, notably the comparison of Piko & Piko TL (flashlight) with or without the new diffusor offered. The "white" diffusor seems to be meant for hikers, joggers etc., or also just as a light to be used "immobile" in a camping or the like. Loss through the diffusor is measured to be just some 10% of the lumen. My guess is there is no glare using the diffusor.

There was also a confirmation that all the new Betty R 4500 lumen come with the new plugs.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast