Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Just watched a Lupine promotional video and it looks like the new Betty R will have 4500 ansi lumens with three battery options. Betty R-7 with 6.6Ah/ Betty R-10 with 9.9Ah/ Betty R-14 with 13.2Ah. Looks like Lupine has put higher capacity cells in their smart core battery's this year. Also the new Wilma will have 2800 lumen output , and as already mentioned the Piko with 1200 lumens. Cheers!!!

mtbr member
    May 2011

Some Lupine news

Is there a link that promotional video?

Thx

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm terrible with computers cue003 so don't know how to post links but it's on u-tube.com and titled, Lupine Betty-R Helmlamp-4500 lumen Betty R 7. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Some Lupine news

Sweet. Found them. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Will the increased power output of the new LEDS decrease the battery runtimes or is it a matter being able to run more efficient LEDS harder to get brighter outputs?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quiggs1974 I read somewhere the new Betty torch was running 45 watt max output to get the 4500 lumens. I'm assuming the new Betty-R is as well putting it five watts more over last years 40 watt Betty-R. So yes even though the new leds are more efficient, max output is higher and should draw more from the battery's. Keep in mind Lupine has resolved the run times by having more capacity in this years battery's so run times should be as good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    @quiggs1974

I also suppose the new betty R will run with 45W same as the Betty Torchlight 2, so there is a wattage increase indeed, thus more battery drain.

On the other hand there is also an increase of the efficiency. The new Piko with 1200 lumen is quite remarkable. Still running with 13W, same as the old version with 900 lumen.
    Improvement of 33% in lumen output in this case is done with better leds XM-L2, as well as with improvements in the electronic parts, and also with the leds fixed directly on a copper board.

Regards

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It looks like lupine has improved their electronics across the board as their whole line up of products are pushing 100 ansi lumens per watt. They probably could have done that earlier but dealing with all the heat in such a line up of compact lamps is a difficult task.

mtbr member
    i would like a Piko R ... a Piko with 1200 - 1500 lumens.

or maybe a half-piko with 900 and about 40 grams lamphead weight.

i would also like the button on the piko to be on the side - otherwise when i press it it tends to change the angle of the light.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    i would like a Piko R ... a Piko with 1200 - 1500 lumens.

or maybe a half-piko with 900 and about 40 grams lamphead weight.

i would also like the button on the piko to be on the side - otherwise when i press it it tends to change the angle of the light.
    A 1500 lumen Piko-R would be a killer helmet light. Unfortunately not only do I think it would require a larger lamp head to accommodate the heat and electronics for the remote, but probably would double the price. Still would be an amazing set up though.

mtbr member
    they're getting 600 lumen per LED in the Wilma but only 450 per LED in the piko. therefore a 1200 Lumen Piko is certainly possible. frankly i was hoping to see it by now since the 900 Lumen Piko is old now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    they're getting 600 lumen per LED in the Wilma but only 450 per LED in the piko. therefore a 1200 Lumen Piko is certainly possible. frankly i was hoping to see it by now since the 900 Lumen Piko is old now.
    Not only is a 1200 lumen Piko possible,,, Its a done deal. As well as a 2800 lumen Wilma, and 4500 lumen Betty_R. Just check CHnuschti's post on this page as he has links to all the new Lupine products. Cheers!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    A german forum made an extensive test/review of the new Betty TL 2 torchlight/flashlight. German language however. Lots of pics:
    Lupine Betty TL2 und TL2S - 4500 Lumen - Test // Messungen // Bilder

Mentionable is that the new torchlight obviously has a special front ring with an outer thread, where you can screw on filters, diffusors etc.. However it seems that for instance such diffusors are not offered by Lupine itself. I guess the size of this threaded ring must be of some standardized size/type, allowing to mount third party diffusors.
    I guess the coming new Betty R will also have this system or offers that as an option. This is suggesting Lupine at least took the topic "lens etc." into consideration.

regards

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Test of the new torchlight Piko TL Minimax (german however):
    Lupine Piko TL MiniMax 1200 Lumen - Test // Messungen // Bilder

Lupine has finally concretized his offer for upgrades; in most cases, the lamp/flashlight must be sent to the factory. Cannot say how this will be handled in outer Europe, has to be inquired:
    Upgrade 2013
    Forum thread about this theme (german): ? Thema anzeigen - Upgrade 2013 ; for question/clarifications, write an email to the address as stated in the first post of the thread.
    Notes: Piko upgrade can obviously be applied to all previous models; Betty R upgrade applicable only on the previous Betty R model; Wilma upgrade is do-it-yourself, as far as I understand applicable on ALL Wilma with internal switch, so even on the older models with 17W

regards

EDIT: there will be an upgrade also for the Wilma CL (Wilmas with external switch), not in the shop yet.
    Last edited by CHnuschti; 08-03-2013 at 03:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    No XM-L2 upgrade for older Bettys with integrated switch? I currently have a 2010/2011 Betty (XP-G) which I upgraded to 7 x XM-L with 26 degree lens in September 2011.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CHnuschti View Post
    Wilma upgrade is do-it-yourself, as far as I understand applicable on ALL Wilma with internal switch, so even on the older models with 17W

regards

EDIT: there will be an upgrade also for the Wilma CL (Wilmas with external switch), not in the shop yet.
    The upgrade is now available for Wilma-CL as well.

I was about to sell my Wilma-CL and get a L&M TAZ with a much better beam pattern (no external switch there :-(), but this upgrade got me thinking. I'm currently running the previous upgrade which is about 1000 lumens and has 22 degree lens: the light output is fine, it's just a bit narrow as I use it handlebar mounted.

But this new upgrade has a 26 degree lens - I wonder if it's noticeably wider than before. Cost is 80 EUR - should be worth it if it's wide enough - don't care too much about the extra lumens...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Lupine has put online a new beamshot comparison, where there is to note that also many older/previous models (Like Betty 26W, Tesla etc.) were included. Not complete yet, some more older models to come ...
    Lupine Lighting Systems - Dimmlevels

As for the upgrade for the older Betty 26W etc. don't know, nothing was said so far, I would write an email as stated in the previous posting and ask.

regards

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    @ radirpok
    A german guy made an extensive comparison, also with the Wilma 19W 22° and 26° :
    ? Thema anzeigen - Unser Leuchtvergleich 2011 ; scroll down, there are 2 comparisons on Wilma "level".
    Does not look for a noticeable improvement with the wider beam IMO, however.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Yep, thanks for the link, I've known about these beamshots, but checking them again... sad ;-(
    However, photos may not always tell you the whole truth. If you check the Betty 26 beamshots, the light spill is quite noticeable, much better than the Wilma 26, even though the lens have the same specifications.
    I had a Betty 22 (the 1850 lumen version), and even though the photos don't show much spill in real life it was almost perfect. I wish we had the same lens for the Wilma...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've reconsidered the linked beamshots. I think the Wilma 19W 22 and 26 degree pics are somewhat misleading.
    They aim too much into direction of "infinity", so they do not reflect well the changes in the near field in front of the wheel.
    I suggest you download the images into the same directory, and then switch through them instantly with the mousewheel. The freeware IrfanView offers this feature, once you opened one picture, other viewers also offer this feature. Then you will recognize there is indeed quite a difference between 22 and 26 degrees (more than you recognize if you compare the two pics side by side), as it is reflected better with the Betty 26W pics.
    The new actual gear (so also the upgrades 2013) of Lupine has a kind of slightly improved lens (the commercial says "collimated lens technology", huh?), but I don't think there is much difference in the beam distribution compared to the 2011 gear.

mtbr member
    last year i had Lupine Piko 3 helmet light and now i have Light & Motion Seca 1700. the Seca is 10 times better - i'm really glad i sent Piko back to the store.

the Piko is $330 and my Seca was $319.

now, if i could afford 3600 Lumen Betty or 4500 Lumen Betty i would certainly take it over the 1700 Lumen Seca, but without a significant difference in Lumens i would prefer the Seca.

the optics used by Lupine are good for making a powerful light compact, but they cannot match the beam shaping ability of properly designed reflectors.

by using optics instead of reflectors Lupine is able to produce a 7 x XML2 4500 Lumen light that is not much bigger than a single XML light from companies like MagicShine which use reflectors and maybe put out 500 Lumens. so i'm not trashing optics based lights - just pointing out that their compactness doesn't come for free.

the Piko only took up about 1/5th the space on my helmet as compared to Seca, while delivering 50% the light output - you just have to decide what your priorities are.

Lupine is still the way to go if you either want maximum Lumens on your helmet, or if you want minimum size and weight on your helmet. However the Seca 1700 beam pattern is unmatched.

Now i wouldn't assume that Taz would be just as good - my guess is it wouldn't be. Because i tried both Seca 1400 and 1700 and between the two the pattern was very different. The 1700 pattern is 4X better. the 1400 has a tiny super bright hot spot in the center that ruined everything when pointed down, and was lost into infinity when pointed straight ahead. while the 1700 has a perfect hot spot that is equally useful when you point the light on the ground and when you aim it down the road.

from the beam shots i saw the Taz beam isn't as smooth as Seca's. but that will depend on how you use the light. maybe for you it won't matter.

i think the Lupine pattern could be great for certain types of use. i should qualify what i said before - the Lupine pattern isn't so much "bad" as it's not optimized for MY use, while the Seca's is. i'm sure there are scenarios in which Lupine's pattern is infinitely better than Seca's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The Taz units have an excellent beam.

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    The Taz units have an excellent beam.

J.
    Taz beam may be better optimized for bar use. I want horizontally flatter beam on the bar, and a rounder beam on the helmet.

Seca is a helmet light. Taz is a bar light.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I just made up my mind and sent the order for an upgrade kit. This being the cheapest and simplest solution - I decided to give Lupine one more chance. The other reason is that L&M lights are hard to come by on this side of the pond, and customer support - should anything go wrong - is difficult, while Lupine is first class (a round-trip is within a week in the EU, vs. at least a month + customs from the US).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast