Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Some Lupine news 2015/2016

26K views 182 replies 23 participants last post by  bentyyc 
#1 · (Edited)
Some Lupine news 2015/2016

Lupine presents its new gear usually at the "Outdoor" and the "Eurobike" fairy in Germany, taking place in July and August.

According to the Lupine forum the Betty R has slighlty improved up to 5000 lumen output (4500 lumen so far); also a Bluetooth bidirectional connection is announced, with an app for smartphones (Apple and Android mentioned) allowing settings/control and e.g. to view/alert the charge status/temperature. Control over app is optional, the standard wireless remote (on the handlebar) is preserved.
There will be no upgrade kit (regarding Bluetooth) for the older Betty R models.
(german): was so läuft - Seite 9 -

Also some minor details/design modifications, see (german): Der "alle kleine Modifikationen " Threat von Wolf -

regards

EDIT:
Also a companion to the existing USB One (Lupine Lighting Systems - Products • Accessories • USB ONE) is announced, called "USB Charger". Will enable to charge the Lupine batteries via USB, e.g. also on computers. Specifications are: running on every USB 5V slot, with up to 1A (if available). So working with many charge plugs with USB (for smartphones etc.).
was so läuft - Seite 7 -

See less See more
#3 ·
Piko has got an update, new modell will have 15W / 1500 lumen (max.)/ XML-U4 led, with a slightly changed beam geometry / lens.
was so läuft - Seite 13 - (and following posts)
2nd picture: new piko 2015/2016 ; 3rd picture: Piko current version (13W / 1200 lumen)

The Piko flashlights PTL will not get these improvements.

Eurobike fair, where all the new Lupine gear will be officially presented, starts 26. august.

#4 ·
New Lupines.. 1500, 3200 and 5000 lumens (Piko, Wilma and Betty)
Best lens, leds and coated glass. Remote control for all.

Bluetooth

Piko R, Wilma R and Betty R are coming up with an integrated Bluetooth Module and a Remote Control.

Thereby it is possible to control one or up to five lights directly from the handlebar - with lightning speed, without delay, without cable and without any security risk.

A special LUPINE LIGHT CONTROL APP for iOS and Android will also be available in a few weeks. This App makes it possible to adjust the lighting levels of our lamps from the smartphone, to control the headlights directly or get unique status informations.

The Piko R has been completely redesigned and is simply better at everything. It is more powerful and more efficient, thanks to newly developed high-performance optics. Above all, the lateral illumination, as well as the lighting range, were significantly improved.

The new Piko R brings huge 1500 lumens and is only a few millimeters larger than its predecessor.

But the latest generation can do even more. The Piko R has Bluetooth and can be controlled by remote control or mobile app.

Our Wilma has been completely revised. The high-quality aluminum body is now even more robust, more beautiful and above all, more functional. More cooling fins, a special anti-reflection coated front glass and the latest CREE XM-L2 U4 provide significantly more power - the latest version of Wilma produces tremendous 3200 lumens.

The Wilma R can be controlled completely via Bluetooth remote control or mobile app.
In addition, new quick releases, an improved helmet mount and an optimized headband are available for Wilma too.

In July, we already announced a new and upgraded model of our Betty R.
Even brighter, even more genius!

With a special anti-reflection coated front glass and the latest CREE XM-L2 U4 LEDs, we increased the efficiency by 12%. The Betty R now makes huge 5000 lumens.

But the real highlight of Betty R is the new Bluetooth technology.

Rotlicht
The Rotlicht comes in an optimized version. The contact surface for the seat tube has been extended. Furthermore, the rubber bands for fastening are included in two different lengths and the mounting screws come in a "Mat Black" finish.
An additional seat rail mount for the Rotlicht will be available from early October.

New Accessories
We have expanded our accessories range.
New quick release for mounting on handlebars in 25.4mm, 31.8mm and 35mm diameter.
New headbands for Piko and Wilma
New helmet mounts for Piko and Wilma

After the huge success of the USB ONE last year, there will be the USB Charger available shortly.
The USB CHARGER is, as the name already recognizes, a USB charger for Lupine batteries. The charging current is up to 1A. The perfect charger for traveling.
Availability, Brochures and Pricelists
The new products will be ready to order next week. Shipping will start end of September. We actually expect some bottlenecks on the delivery capacity of the bluetooth lights due to high demand and a limited production capacity.

While our website will be updated in the next two weeks, you can already find details to the upcoming products in our new brochure.
Orders you can place at our onlineshop or your local dealer.

http://www.lupine.de/files/document...il&utm_term=0_1a4cb296ec-50355be82a-105508129

Product Lens Camera accessory Camera Technology

#7 ·
I'm impressed. I drool when I think of having a helmet light that I can control from the bars. One problem though, Lupine hasn't addressed the preference some have for "neutral binned LED's". Since you've posted on this forum perhaps you've noticed that a lot of people are interested in lamps with neutral emitters. Of course the neutral lamps are a little bit less in total output but once you get used to using neutral emitters you really don't want to go back. Would be nice if Lupine offered that choice. While I love the idea of a Bluetooth controlled lamp, "Neutral LED's" trump "Bluetooth control" from my point of view. I'd like to see more brand name lamps offer the choice of emitter bin.

#10 ·
One problem though, Lupine hasn't addressed the preference some have for "neutral binned LED's". Since you've posted on this forum perhaps you've noticed that a lot of people are interested in lamps with neutral emitters.
Not my cup of tea, but Lupine has an offer of this kind, a (rechangeable) LED board with 4900K temperature, currently available only for the Betty R and Betty TL2 (=flashlight).

4900 Kelvin Option | Lupine Lighting Systems Shop

I think to remember that in the Lupine board was mentioned that such thing was also available for the Wilma as kind of special direct deal, I guess one would have to sort it out directly with Lupine (in Germany).

#11 ·
An update of the news:

- Backlight in blue edition available in limited number: Rotlicht Sonderserie auch als Blaulicht -
- Upgrade of older models of Piko/Wilma/Betty for the new "bluetooth" feature via cellphone is not possible/offered. was so läuft - Seite 15 -
- Mount for backlight on saddles coming (said "within some weeks"): was so läuft - Seite 15 -
- App for the bluetooth feature announced in the Lupine store "this week": was so läuft - Seite 16 -
- New Upgrade LED-boards for Betty/TL2/Wilma: Upgrade | Ersatzteile und Zubehör | Lupine Lighting Systems Shop

#17 ·
Good points, Cat-man-do. Lupine has an unusual product development and launch schedule, for sure. One would think the Lupine factory would be shipping tirelessly in early-September so serious riders/runners are *ready* for dark autumn?

I encountered this last year when it was *late-February* when some of their lights I wanted were finally available. Heck, at that point days were starting to lengthen again and springtime was around the corner! I simply limped along with my aging MagicShine lights to wait until now. LOL.

Looking forward to good news in the coming weeks from their HQ!

#21 · (Edited)
2 videos of the Light Control App (on an Iphone), german:
Betty R:
Watched that video (I understand some German) and I have to say that it is very impressive. The app allows you to easily adjust the level of each mode as well as the number of modes in the mode rotation. You could very easily set up a race mode, where you have two modes such as high and medium. You can also add special modes such as a blinking mode, which would be useful if you wanted to set the light up for commuting.

There was also something about setting the low battery level indicator or perhaps a moon mode. I'm not sure what he was saying.

I don't know if the app can save a particular setup to a file which you can retrieve later, but to me that would be the next logical step.

This sets the bar pretty high, and it is definitely something I would expect to see on other premium lights in the future. Is glowworm doing this?

#22 ·
This hole thing to me is an "OMG WTF???". Its already sad how much the world relies on smart phones, but now to make a persons ability to night ride dependant on having a supported phone to be able to "program" their lights.

All I can do is laugh. Just another way/excuse for smart phones to distract and over complicate things.

#24 ·
Beamshot comparison for the latest Lupine models available: Lupine Lighting Systems - Leuchtvergleich

Also a video compilation of beamshots, showing additionally the comparison (in the second half) between the older/previous variants of each model :

As for the bluetooth cellphone app, I was not able to read in the Lupine forum a definitive confirmation if there will be the possibility to save different sets of settings. But IMO a "must" to offer such feature.

#25 ·
All I can do is laugh. Just another way/excuse for smart phones to distract and over complicate things.[/QUOTE]

I do have to admit watching most people these days walking/driving/sometimes biking/in social situations,,,,, having there heads buried in their phones can be annoying, so I hear where your coming from tigris99. I'm guessing here that the Bluetooth programming on the 2016 Lupines are an option. I would be very surprised it they took away the ability to program from the lamp head itself like the ones I have.

#26 ·
All I can do is laugh. Just another way/excuse for smart phones to distract and over complicate things.
I do have to admit watching most people these days walking/driving/sometimes biking/in social situations,,,,, having there heads buried in their phones can be annoying, so I hear where your coming from tigris99. I'm guessing here that the Bluetooth programming on the 2016 Lupines are an option. I would be very surprised it they took away the ability to program from the lamp head itself like the ones I have.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the engineers at Lupine feel the same way, but this is just the fad in market now. It's absurd. Bluetooth connections are so finicky. The last thing I want is my battery/light function to be tied to another device that can run out of battery or stop working for a million reasons. A light is a safety device, not a toy.

Now if they could find a way to have the light read my mind,.... that would be another story........

#29 ·
Don't know whats up with the (quote's) above as their showing my name on rootmaster's quote and his name on mine and a mix of both.

JohnJ80 Have you spoken to Bill or Dan yet to confirm the availability of the new Betty-R? Are you planning on putting the Betty on your lid?

#30 ·
Yep. Spoke to them a few days ago. They have Betty's in stock but not too many. Expecting Wilmas by month end or in early November, Pikos I think they have now or will have shortly.

I'll be using it on the bars for both road and fatbike (winter) usage. I have a 1200 lumen Piko for the helmet and/or a Wilma 2400 lumen light. I may sell both however (probably will) and upgrade to the newer Piko.

Really a limited time to use helmet lights here - especially bright ones. The lights attract a lot of bugs and I can't stand that. We need a good hard frost or two and then the helmet lights will be fine.

J.

#34 ·
I dont think I would use that tail light mount under the seat on the rails. I would use the seatpost mount or even mount it below the seatpost collar on the seat tube area of my frame. Depends on your frame for this type of mount though. Lupine says more mounts coming on the lupinenorthamerica site, so we will see if more come out. Obviously you could rig up a quick mount to your pack, seatbag, or back of helmet in short order if needed. When it comes to mounting lights sometimes you can come up with better ideas than what is intended from the light manufacturer.

#37 ·
Below the seat collar starts to have a lot of stuff in the way like tires, chainstays etc... depending on the bike - so you can't count on it. Too, when things start to get too low on the seatpost and if they are wide enough, they can interfere with your legs (problem for me).

What I would have liked to see Lupine do is to have it mount to the seat rails in back and then go horizontal and then down. Just leave enough room for a seat bag (most don't go aft of the edge of the seat). Or make a narrower mount so it would fit on a chainstay like other lights I have.

J.

#35 ·
As far as the new Lupines go, I think they are really nice, though I dont have a smart phone. I guess you can program it from a computer or tablet too as well as manually. 5,000 lumens Betty is just sick lol. I would like to see them offer neutral tints as the 6000k that Lupine uses isnt my preference. I like anywhere from 4000k-5000k. I really like my Nitecore MT G2 flashlight which at 5000k I consider on the border of neutral and cool. At the same time I love my warmer 4,400k zebralight which I can detect a tiny bit of rose coloring in the beam, but it makes the colors look vibrant. If Lupine offered neutral tints then I wouldnt have anything left to fault them on and might even sell my old lupines for the new stuff. I realize some people are happy with the 6000k color, but it's just my preference.

#38 ·
Lupine and BT tech

I think Lupine has correctly assumed that anyone willing to lay the money out for one of their premium bike lights ( > $700 ) also already owns a phone with BT capability. I like the idea of having a lamp that is capable of being programmed from the phone. Like most people I always bring my phone with me anyway whenever I ride. Not a big deal anyway since once I have the settings I want dialed in ( might take a couple rides to do that ) I'm done.

And speaking of BT programmability, I WISH the Gloworm lamps had that option rather than the "button" programming. The reason being is that when using the Gloworms, "If you press the mode buttons too quickly ( while changing modes ) the lamp will accidentally enter the program mode". This of course is a PITA and one of the few short comings of the newer GW lamps. Of course as long as you remember not to rapid fire the remote button you're fine. Still, there are times when you just forget.

Okay so you don't own a smart phone...yet...or perhaps don't want one. That's fine. If you can't afford the data plans..okay, I understand. The good news is you don't have to purchase a data plan to own a smart phone. Likely you can pick up a used smart phone ( or buy a cheap Chinese smart phone ) for super cheap. Even if not with a phone ( data ) plan the S-phone will still operate online with Wi-Fi which will allow you to download any needed apps. You can also download a lot of OTHER apps as well, including those for navigation. Some of those apps will even let you down load complete maps so you won't even need to be on-line to navigate. Yeah, it's doing it the hard way but it can work. A used ( or cheap-o Chinese ) smart phone with BT ( and Wi-fi ) shouldn't cost a boat load of money. I've seen used smart phones that some people are almost giving away.

#39 ·
I think Lupine has correctly assumed that anyone willing to lay the money out for one of their premium bike lights ( > $700 ) also already owns a phone with BT capability. I like the idea of having a lamp that is capable of being programmed from the phone. Like most people I always bring my phone with me anyway whenever I ride. Not a big deal anyway since once I have the settings I want dialed in ( might take a couple rides to do that ) I'm done.

And speaking of BT programmability, I WISH the Gloworm lamps had that option rather than the "button" programming. The reason being is that when using the Gloworms, "If you press the mode buttons too quickly ( while changing modes ) the lamp will accidentally enter the program mode". This of course is a PITA and one of the few short comings of the newer GW lamps. Of course as long as you remember not to rapid fire the remote button you're fine. Still, there are times when you just forget.

Okay so you don't own a smart phone...yet...or perhaps don't want one. That's fine. If you can't afford the data plans..okay, I understand. The good news is you don't have to purchase a data plan to own a smart phone. Likely you can pick up a used smart phone ( or buy a cheap Chinese smart phone ) for super cheap. Even if not with a phone ( data ) plan the S-phone will still operate online with Wi-Fi which will allow you to download any needed apps. You can also download a lot of OTHER apps as well, including those for navigation. Some of those apps will even let you down load complete maps so you won't even need to be on-line to navigate. Yeah, it's doing it the hard way but it can work. A used ( or cheap-o Chinese ) smart phone with BT ( and Wi-fi ) shouldn't cost a boat load of money. I've seen used smart phones that some people are almost giving away.
The number of people who have access to a BT enabled smartphone is a high percentage of the population. That, coupled with the insanely cheap cost of a CPU that has a BT radio on board and has enough IO to run the rest of the product should almost become a defacto feature set on almost anything like this.

There is *always* someone who will chime in that they have a 10 button flip phone and don't plan on changing. Okay..... but that's probably asking the other 80+% of the population to bend to their wishes. As you go younger and as you go more affluent (the people that buy this stuff), the percentages are going to be even higher. I doubt that there is anything more than a very small percentage of users who would not buy such a product just beause it's programming was smartphone based. My sense is that the people that speak against this wouldn't have bought it anyway.

J.

#43 ·
Well not that I am interested in buying another Lupine anyway right now, but I do have tablets with Bluetooth, but a ten inch tablet isn't the best option for handlebar mount lol. Maybe I am just being stubborn and cheap when it comes to smart phones I guess. It's the pricey data plan that bugs me. I can find something better to do with that money every month like buy more lights lol. Right now I buy a twenty dollar tracfone card every two months and I'm good and use a five dollar cell phone. I have a Garmin edge GPS for logging my rides on my bike and my car already has GPS so that part of a smart phone doesn't do much for me so it's hard to justify monthly costs. Buying a cheap Bluetooth phone without the data plan is a good suggestion though.

#44 ·
The one thing that you have to be careful of is that bluetooth has separate parts called profiles that each do specific things:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bluetooth_profiles

People that are interesting in using the app with a non-phone will have to make sure that their device actually has the specific profile that Lupine is using. It may or not be an issue. It probably won't be an issue if you have an iphone.

#46 ·
Any Betty R owners tempted by the Cateye Volt 6000?

My Betty R has an annoying tendency to step down in power relatively quickly when the airflow is insufficient in warmer weather. I understand that this is a thermal protection feature but when I'm picking my way down a hair-raising descent the last thing I want is less light. Consequently, the new Volt 6000 intrigues me due to its built-in cooling fan. Having the extra lumens would be a nice bonus as well!

#47 ·
;
My Betty R has an annoying tendency to step down in power relatively quickly when the airflow is insufficient in warmer weather. I understand that this is a thermal protection feature but when I'm picking my way down a hair-raising descent the last thing I want is less light. Consequently, the new Volt 6000 intrigues me due to its built-in cooling fan. Having the extra lumens would be a nice bonus as well!
So you are going down slow at full out on the Betty?

J.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.