Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Some Lupine news 2015/2016

26K views 182 replies 23 participants last post by  bentyyc 
#1 · (Edited)
Some Lupine news 2015/2016

Lupine presents its new gear usually at the "Outdoor" and the "Eurobike" fairy in Germany, taking place in July and August.

According to the Lupine forum the Betty R has slighlty improved up to 5000 lumen output (4500 lumen so far); also a Bluetooth bidirectional connection is announced, with an app for smartphones (Apple and Android mentioned) allowing settings/control and e.g. to view/alert the charge status/temperature. Control over app is optional, the standard wireless remote (on the handlebar) is preserved.
There will be no upgrade kit (regarding Bluetooth) for the older Betty R models.
(german): was so läuft - Seite 9 -

Also some minor details/design modifications, see (german): Der "alle kleine Modifikationen " Threat von Wolf -

regards

EDIT:
Also a companion to the existing USB One (Lupine Lighting Systems - Products • Accessories • USB ONE) is announced, called "USB Charger". Will enable to charge the Lupine batteries via USB, e.g. also on computers. Specifications are: running on every USB 5V slot, with up to 1A (if available). So working with many charge plugs with USB (for smartphones etc.).
was so läuft - Seite 7 -

See less See more
#53 ·
Just a heads up !for the Betty owners who prefer a neutral tint. Dan from Gretna bikes just confirmed they will have 4900K boards in stock next week due to the interest they have had from owners of Lupine lights.

Stu06 did you order yours yet??
I think you know me pretty well! Not yet, but I'll check their website to see if they're accepting pre-orders. I'll report back after I get them!

#62 ·
The Wilma 2400 runs at 28 watts when it's on the max setting. The latest Wilma R 3200 also runs at 28 watts max.

That means that, theoretically, the Wilma 2400 will put out close to 3200 lumens after being upgraded with the latest upgrade package that will eventually be available at Wilma LED Upgrade "Switch at Lamphead" and AR Frontcap, wilma-upgrade-lens-switch-LED-lamphead - GRETNA BIKES.com LLC, LUPINE North America.

The Wilma 1200/1300/1500 versions maxed out at 19 watts. After the latest upgrade, the 19 watt versions of the Wilma will output approximately 2300 lumens.

#88 ·
Well, he'd probably really like the new "R" models. Can probably dim them all with one button push.

Maybe the reason for all the lumens is if he ever screws up at speed, the lights will burn any obstacle up before he gets there. That, or he wears sunglasses at night.

J.

#89 ·
Actually the car headlight argument has been had here too because comparing car headlights to bike led lights is like comparing apples to lettuce :p. Huge difference in application and beam pattern.

That said, guys getting butt hurt over 1300 lumens is ridiculous. And the beam cutoff crap for trails has gotta be a personal preference (or they all ride in the open desert). I go for mix.

But anything more than about 3000 lumens for a bar light to me screams compensating or night blindness/scared of the dark.

I know a lot of guys that ride with nightrider 750s, but we know our trails and the are tight /twisty so its not east to gain enough speed to outrun lights easily. Then I come out with 1800 on the bars and 1200 on the lid lol. Ppl in front can see everything around them quite well :p

The guys pumping out 20000 lumens on a mtb, seriously WTF???? How can you see anything unless there's no undergrowth/very dry air.

#90 ·
Agree.

Beam cut off is really not a good idea for cyclists. We sit up higher than a car typically and even on the road, there can be branches and other overhead obstacles that would be exceptionally dangerous at night with a sharp cutoff light that may not bother a car. We also are usually on the side of the road where cars and vehicles don't often go and that's where the overhead stuff is. I ride in a wooded area on rural roads are there are *lots* of places where I need to divert to miss branches. On the trail, a cut off light would be the shortest route to the inpatient TBI ward at the local hospital.

I've been riding with high lumen lights for more than a decade (and close to two) going back to the HID lamps. I've never had a problem with drivers or pedestrians complaining and I've always been able to resist looking directly at bright lights coming my way (don't understand why others can't too). The only comment I've ever had from pedestrians and other drivers was "cool light, where did you get it?" One of those exact comments was from a County Sheriff that passed me going the other way, made a U turn and came back then stopped ahead of me to ask me that very question. In my neck of the woods, looks like everyone thinks it is a win when cyclists have bright lights.

I'll be the first to admit it - the Betty R I got this year has got more lumens than I need. That said, it is nice to have all that light for a high speed descent on my road bike.

I sort of find that about 2000 lumens is kind of the upper limit on the helmet, at least where I live. There is either humidity in the summer, bugs or just dust/snow/etc that makes more than that counterproductive. Just the bugs around here in the summer makes a helmet light a non starter. They are attracting to the light and I wind up getting a face full (hint: keep your mouth shut).

J.

#94 ·
Im curious to find out about AR optics. Because optics are TIR, total internal reflection. Hopefully they do it right and its only on the front face of the optic, which will make the beam wider and smoother, anywhere else and light pattern would be a total mess.

#95 ·
I will surely write up my findings as I never had any complaints with the 6000K leds and original optics. I'm trying not to expect to much in my head in advance so I'm not swayed in the reality of what my view is once trying out the new set up.

From what I've read from a couple different posters,, I do expect some improvement in trail detail and output (not that I need anymore) as well as overall visual improvement if in fact the softer color rendition prevents the pupils from closing up as much as the cooler leds.

Maybe if stu06 is reading this he can shed some light on the beam pattern/shape, and if there are any artifacts.

#99 ·
With the optics its going to be artifacts and/or badly scattered beam pattern.

I do wonder why the major optics companies haven't gone AR yet. Though for "tight spot" type use, AR coating will mess that up, but something designed for wide pattern already it could be interesting.

#101 ·
An AR coating on the output face will allow a few more percent of light to exit, raising the efficiency. The sides of the optic will still internally reflect due to the angle that the light hits them. This is why the best prisms have AR coating on the input and output faces, but still function as prisms.

Major optics companies, like Canon and Nikon, probably do use AR coating on prisms.

#100 ·
I've never heard of an AR optic. I would suppose that the coating would be applied to the part of the optic that sits closest to the emitter (?)...The concept behind AR is that the coating is supposed to lessen the reflective bounce-off from the light source ( giving more light transmission ). I can't see adding it to the front of the optic would really do anything since the optic itself is designed to shape and diffuse the output....but what the hell do I know...;)

#107 ·
Same here, rsilvers if you have any spares, hit me up :p

Dont forget optics im talking of arent camera optics (those are prism/glass lens). TIR optics PMMA optics are completely different in the sense of who makes them. Cree and ledil are the big named, with all the ones from.small companies, light manufacturers we see. Messing with pmma optics in that sense takes more care as to where its coated and what beam pattern your trying to accomplish. everyone of my torches has ar lens. My DIY bar light I made has single side AR lexan (input side only) so the lexan over optics minimizes loss while not messing with beam pattern much. Tiny bit more spill over no lexan but no visual output difference.

#111 ·
Indebt, actually I highly doubt the center is xp-g2. Too low of output and doesn't like higher currents.

However, if its smaller than the surrounding xm-l2s (which is lupine was smart, all emitters would be the emitter im about to say) its an XP-L. All Xp-Ls in that light head would have done really well as they are more efficient and have higher output vs xm-l2. They LOOK like xp-g2 at first glance, but put a g2 next to it and the yellow phosphor of the xp-l is much larger, same size as phosphor of xm-l2. That's the point of them, xm-l2 output in xp-g2 sized package.

#112 ·
The betty-R only uses the outside six leds in all modes except the hidden mode (center led)designed for moonlight or map reading or the option of a red led. So the center led will not be receiving the same current as the XM-L2's.

I just checked Gretna again and the do say XPG.

#114 · (Edited)
Thanx To Those Who Brought Up Neutral Tint Information!!

I would like to thank those of you that brought up neutral tint lights and there benefits. I just received my two 4900K boards from Gretna,,, upgraded one and did some minor comparisons in the back yard as there is to much snow to ride right now.

I immediately noticed how much more accurate shrub and overall color detail was no matter what I lit up. Output is better than my older XM-L U2 board but probably not as much is if I had gone with the new XM-L2 U4 board due to its cooler tint.

I cant wait to get out on the trails with both upgraded lamps and really get a sense of the overall difference.

I did a before and after photo in my back yard and uploaded to my Photo bucket account but when I tried to upload just those two photo's, Photobucket would upload my whole library to MTBR, so sorry no photo's to show you.:madman:

#125 ·
Yeah, I use Photobucket but it's a pain. If I could upload my photos from my phone/camera directly to my computer I would. I just upload to PBucket and then copy them to my computer. From there I upload to MTBR. Of course I could also use photo links to my Photobucket photos but just easier to copy to my computer. Also easier to edit the photo if I use my own software.

#116 ·
It's good to hear you like the new 4900k board. Neutral really does make the colors look more natural which in my opinion makes for quicker recognition of what is on the trail ahead. I would love it if Neutral White would become the norm on bike lights, and cool white would be the option for those who still wanted it. I'm curious if anyone knows, do they offer Neutral for the Piko too?

As far as Photobucket, I can't help you there. Haven't used it in ages, but seems like you used to be able to just upload photos directly to MTBR. Maybe I'm wrong.?

#117 ·
I think now that lights have become more powerful and cool tint leds don't need to be a must to claim huge lumen claims things like neutral tint/ beam shape /UI/ remote options will be even more important. I really think in the next year or so they will claim a much larger percentage purchased.

Yes MaximusHQ the Piko is available in neutral tint but must be special ordered and assembled at Lupine Germany as unlike the Wilma and Betty it is not user replaceable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.