Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    inner peace to make peace

New question here. solo night riding preparations

I like riding solo at night in the canyons where AT&T cell phone coverage does not exists.
    I use both a bar and a helmet LED light. The scariest aspects are when the wind pick up and I hear the trees creeking...which makes me pedal faster to get out of that area.
    Other than that, I'm shopping a light-weight fixed-knife with sheath that will retain the blade on a crash yet also can be accessed rapidly: Got any suggestions?

please keep your comments towards something useful, non-judgemental.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I don't really have any brand suggestions, but I am curious where you were looking to keep it. On your waist? Strapped to your leg? Some other way altogether?

I don't think I'd be comfortable having one on my waist, even in a good sheath. That still leaves one end sort of dangling out there.

If I were to carry one, I think I'd feel safest with it strapped to my leg. Leg straps usually have 2 straps, so both ends of the knife are secure (not free to dangle or move around). So no matter how you crashed, you'd never have to fear falling on it.

Anyway, knowing how you intend to carry it may narrow down the suggestions you get.

Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    I don't really have any brand suggestions, but I am curious where you were looking to keep it. On your waist? Strapped to your leg? Some other way altogether?

I don't think I'd be comfortable having one on my waist, even in a good sheath. That still leaves one end sort of dangling out there.

If I were to carry one, I think I'd feel safest with it strapped to my leg. Leg straps usually have 2 straps, so both ends of the knife are secure (not free to dangle or move around). So no matter how you crashed, you'd never have to fear falling on it.

Anyway, knowing how you intend to carry it may narrow down the suggestions you get.
    I used to carry my Benchmade 710d2 Axis-lock folder in a leather sheath looped into my bike 3/4 pants, on strong side towards the rear.

so I'd try the same, but I might get a cobbler to create a custom shealth
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Best idea I have seen is a mini dive knife. They come with a hard sheath where you need press a button (with your same thumb) to release the knife. Usually attached to a camelback front strap.

Something like this:
    Amazon.com: Promate Point Tip Scuba Dive BC Knife (3" Blade): Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailNut View Post
    I like riding solo at night in the canyons where AT&T cell phone coverage does not exists.
    I use both a bar and a helmet LED light. The scariest aspects are when the wind pick up and I hear the trees creeking...which makes me pedal faster to get out of that area.
    Other than that, I'm shopping a light-weight fixed-knife with sheath that will retain the blade on a crash yet also can be accessed rapidly: Got any suggestions?

please keep your comments towards something useful, non-judgemental.
    Not that I've ever considered carrying a knife but I'm curious; What are you attempting to protect yourself from....mountain Lion, bear, coyotes, ...etc. ?

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Not that I've ever considered carrying a knife but I'm curious; What are you attempting to protect yourself from....mountain Lion, bear, coyotes, ...etc. ?
    I carry a small knife on every night ride. The trails I usually right at night are outside of a very low income area and is infamous for bums living in the woods. You never know... luckily I have never any reason to pull it out, but I'd hate to not have it on the night that I need it...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I carry a folding gerber knife in my back pocket. The scariest things I have come across on the trails at night are people. I have seen people on trails at night maybe 3 or 4 times. I'm guessing they were doing something involving sex or drugs or both. I don't want to judge but I do these things at my house usually. Every time I rode by without incident, but I was happy to have the knife.

Mountain lions aren't a very realistic threat however they still make me think twice. People say a knife won't help against a lion, but this isn't exactly true. There are many stories where people fight off mountain lions. There was a recent attack were some guy defended himself with a sleeping bag. I can also recall a story where a guy killed a mountain lion with a frying pan. Every attack is unique, so if you're pounced on unaware you're probably screwed but you may end up being happy you brought that knife.

Quote Originally Posted by qdave View Post
    Best idea I have seen is a mini dive knife. They come with a hard sheath where you need press a button (with your same thumb) to release the knife. Usually attached to a camelback front strap.

Something like this:
    Amazon.com: Promate Point Tip Scuba Dive BC Knife (3" Blade): Sports & Outdoors
    ahhh thanks, your suggestion lead me to consider this now:
    Amazon.com: U.S. Divers Titanium 5-Inch Diving Knife: Sports & Outdoors

...thanks

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    felons and predators, including that mountain lion we saw in the Wildcat Canyon Park, in twilight, that sent cool chills down my neck...and my buddy visiting from Alaska said the same. That was awesome.

On another night ride, my dog, a Chesapeake Bay, that wondered up hill about ten yards ahead, outside my LED light range, suddenly yiped loudly and took off running back to me. I was thinking, if a predator jumped my dog, I'd prefer to sort that out with a steely option in addition to my loving kindness attitude...know what i mean.

I know of or heard of folks, both male and female, that have defended self and others with a knife or sharp stick vs. mt. lion. Not everyone's a wimp in our modern "Age of Cowards," to quote late Col. Jeff Cooper (R.I.P.).

if you are not already dead and can move then you can do something useful...

mtbr member
    I'd opt for a folding knife, but with thumb studs so that it can be opened easily. If you practice with it a dozen times, it's almost as fast as a fixed blade. I would be more concerned about even a sheathed knife coming out on a crash and then cutting/impaling myself on it.

I'm partial to Gerber knives as I've never been let down. This one has a 3.6" blade, rubber grip, finger grooves...exactly what you want if you need to be punching it into something. Light too, and folds up to about 4" long.

Amazon.com: Gerber 31-000591 Freeman Guide Folding Sheath Knife: Home Improvement
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailNut View Post
    ahhh thanks, your suggestion lead me to consider this now:
    [link Amazon .com: U.S. Divers Titanium 5-Inch Diving Knife: Sports & Outdoors[/url]

...thanks
    Hello,

I've been lurking around learning all I can about LED lights in this forum for the past couple weeks. But it was this post that I felt obligated to create a user name and chime in. The knife you indicate in your link is a great knife. I have used it (stainless version) as a dive knife for the past 10 years. I think that it might not be best suited for your needs however. The way is fits into it's sheath it by a plastic latch that engages with the handle and it tends to rattle a little within the sheath. I imagine that if I were to strap it to my body and head down the trail I would go insane. that knife if perfect for diving, but might not be ideal for MTB. I would have to second the folding knife option, but if you must go with a fixed blade maybe take a look at a SOG seal pup elite, or their mini pentagon. Another option might be to take a look at knives made by ESEE, like his ESSE 3. Hope this input helps.

mtbr member
    My 2 cents. IMO nothing beats a very bright light on the helmet. I am sure you'll agree we can't fight what we can't see. You are in a better position of control, unless he's got a gun. The knife would probably scare off vagrants unless he's got a bigger one, and it'd be a very close combat if you had to use a knife against animals.

With these scenarios, isn't it a better idea to use a Taser or torch fitted a 5MV stun gun? I'd prefer this stun gun baton though. Linked the more expensive and possibly reliable ones because it's not the time to go cheap on things that could save your life.
    Has an animal like a mountain lion or bear ever been taser-ed?

If you have to go with knives, storage safety and quick release is paramount. A lockable sheathed knife can be secured to the rails under the saddle or the seat tube - matter of bending up some brackets. Foldable knives are still a better and safer option. For tasers and stun guns best to secure them to where the drink bottle cage usually goes.

Leonard
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Been riding solo night rides for 10 years mostly in SoCal mountain lion country. I currently ride in the desert south of Phoenix at night and love it. Seen every kind of critter, including mountain lion. Most of my sightings occur at dusk before the lights go on. Used to carry a knife but I put that away years ago. Not very likely to be attacked by anything out there. Bikes are noisy and the addition of a bright light scares the S*** out of everything anyway. Your most serious concern is being injured while riding and unable to phone for help. Letting people know where you are going and what time you're expected back is VERY important. Take the right tools/spares and supplies to manage equipment failures and you'll be fine. In the 10 years of riding I have only had one mechanical. Preparation is key to enjoying yourself and you'll ride with more confidence.

It's a kick solo night riding. It keeps my senses sharp.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I would stay away from titanium as a blade material, unless you absolutely must have a corrosion resistant blade. A good steel (stainless or otherwise) sharpens easier and holds it's edge just fine. If weight is your concern, DAJO makes a nice knife, but the sheath is rubbish...buy one that suits your needs.

Think about investing in a gps unit of some sort with an emergency 911 feature. As some of the others have said, you are more likely to be screwed by being injured, and the knife is unlikely to help you there.

High Gravity Haze
    Quote Originally Posted by extremebikeguy View Post
    if you must go with a fixed blade maybe take a look at a SOG seal pup elite.
    X2 on the SOG Seal Pup with the Kydex sheath. I've used one for years and had it fixed to my shoulder strap for many rides with no issues of it loosening or falling out. You can probably find an older "New Old Stock" online at a good price. I would caution you about the specific Kydex sheath model KYD-E37 though. That rope cutting groove in the sheath will accidentally slice backpack straps too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by il2mb View Post
    Been riding solo night rides for 10 years mostly in SoCal mountain lion country. I currently ride in the desert south of Phoenix at night and love it. Seen every kind of critter, including mountain lion. Most of my sightings occur at dusk before the lights go on. Used to carry a knife but I put that away years ago. Not very likely to be attacked by anything out there. Bikes are noisy and the addition of a bright light scares the S*** out of everything anyway. Your most serious concern is being injured while riding and unable to phone for help. Letting people know where you are going and what time you're expected back is VERY important. Take the right tools/spares and supplies to manage equipment failures and you'll be fine. In the 10 years of riding I have only had one mechanical. Preparation is key to enjoying yourself and you'll ride with more confidence.

It's a kick solo night riding. It keeps my senses sharp.
    what he said.

I've got a degree in wildlife biology (wolves) and the scariest thing out there is yourself. Prep well, be smart. Your best protection is your brain, especially when all else fails.

mtbr member
    This discussion is most interesting. I pretty much agree with il2mb. Not that I have anything against knifes but if I were to carry one it would be mostly for utility purposes.

I don't often ride in remote mountainous areas but when I do the thing I fear most is rattlesnakes. Snakes are not always easy to see, particularly at night. Snakes love trails because they can be a good place to hunt prey. I've seen rattlesnakes fully stretched out laying across a trail just laying there soaking up the sun. Real easy just to run right over one doing that as they look a lot like a stick. Now if I had some thigh-high snake gaiters then I would be more relaxed. So far I've had three encounters ( daytime ) with rattlesnakes in the mountains and I really don't ride mountains that often. Each time was in the day and I saw them well before I got close enough for one to strike.

Bears ( black bear ) when spotted are usually very timid and usually turn and run as soon as they sense a human. ( Now if you spot a bear and it doesn't move away when it see's you...Bells and whistles should go off in your head. Luckily I don't ride in areas where bears are common place. Snakes on the other hand......are more common place. Usually not a problem if you see them in time but there in lies the problem. You don't always see them.

Encounters with strange people don't worry me so much particularly at night. Most people are completely spooked by someone riding a bike at night with bright lights. Last thing they want to do is mess with someone who they really can't see well ( because of the bright lights ). As far as they know, you could be the police. I think the only situation that might worry me with an encounter with someone strange would be if if I was dealing with a small group of youths ( say three against one ). That's because sometimes kids can be brave when with their buds and therefore causing the stupidity/danger factor to rise a bit. In a situation like that its probably better to just bug out if you can. If you try to draw a knife who's to say one of these punks isn't carrying a gun ( and stupid enough to use it ).

Of course as has been already said, sometimes we are our own worse enemy. Likely the most probably thing to happen to you while on a ride is having a bad accident. If you normally ride alone you have to be aware of your surroundings and ride with caution.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    why not save for a personal locator beacon instead of a knive?

You might get attacked by an animal, chance is what? 1/1000 000 000???
    And even if you succeed in wounding and chasing away your the culprit, big chance you are left wounded and in shock without help. By the time people realise you are missing you might be in big problems and they have to start looking for you!

Criminals? They will see you coming from miles away and hide and if they are really bold they'l just shoot you from a distance, no real help from a knive I'd say, but if you still manage to push the emergency button after being shot, you might stand a chance!

Anyway, if you are so "prepared" (read as paranoid) that you grasp hold of a weapon to defend yourself in time to do so, the chance of hurting yourself or someone dear to you will be much bigger than the chance that you are actually attacked!

I would consider buying a beacon if I would ride often in areas without cellphone coverage, a nasty fall is enough to get you into serious troubles, on a cold night even a stupid technical problem might turn a long fun bikeride into a dangerously long survivalhike!

I do carry a leatherman during most of my solo rides. Well hidden in a pouch in my jerseypocket.
    It has 2 blades, mostly used to cut dried meat, it has a pliers, nice to be able to unscrew a tubeless valve or cut a wire tangled in the wheel,...
    It has inbus keys, torx keys, a file, a saw,.. nice to have, certainly if you realise you lost your multitool on the way, or if you realise the multitool doesn't have a torx keys but your bike does,...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    [QUOTE=

Criminals? They will see you coming from miles away and hide and if they are really bold they'l just shoot you from a distance, no real help from a knive I'd say, but if you still manage to push the emergency button after being shot, you might stand a chance!

[/QUOTE]

These aren't criminals like in the movies who lie in wait to ambush a trail user, but rather people who are doing shady things in the woods at night. Its more of a surprise for both parties which could cause someone to react badly. Most likely that's going to be the person in the woods to do shady stuff as opposed to someone in the woods to exercise.

You make it sound like carrying a knife for many reasons including protection is some kind of self destructive paranoia with a huge potential for disaster. Its just a knife. Cub scouts carry them. Its not like were riding around the woods looking to knife people...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by derekbob View Post
    These aren't criminals like in the movies who lie in wait to ambush a trail user, but rather people who are doing shady things in the woods at night. Its more of a surprise for both parties which could cause someone to react badly. Most likely that's going to be the person in the woods to do shady stuff as opposed to someone in the woods to exercise.

You make it sound like carrying a knife for many reasons including protection is some kind of self destructive paranoia with a huge potential for disaster. Its just a knife. Cub scouts carry them. Its not like were riding around the woods looking to knife people...
    So, With a few thousand lumen of light you are blinding the couple on its way to "the causy spot", irritated the guy reaches for his extreme bright torch to let you now you are blinding them. Now he notices the dive knive strapped on your leg which makes you look rather shady.

The young boy, eager to protect and impress his new girlfriend might already have grasped his scoutingknive or taser or whatever weapon he's taken to protect him from wild animals and shady guys, you see him take his knive or whatever and decide it's time to grasp yours, the girl takes her pepperspray out of her handbag as she sees you grasping for your knive,...

As you probably didn't have real training with the weapon, you didn't realise you should' ve stopped before taking the knive out, now, one of the best case scenario is something like: you took the knive while you were trying to stop with one hand, you loose the knive and a crash into a tree or something, the girl who didn't receive training either is spraying around in pannick so the three of you are blinded, and as she runs away she stumbles and sprains her ankle avoiding her to run away to far, and the cup scout keeps rather cool and doesn't do anything stupid. with some luck he uses his flashlight to send an emergency signal into the air, picked up by someone so you are all recovered and you get out of prison in a reasonable amount of time.

If you had received weapon training, and you ended up using the knive it would be a lot longer in prison.

But, if you had received weapon training, you wouldn't be mountainbiking with a dive knive strapped on your leg

mtbr member
    Ya know you could of said Pepper spray makes a good defensive weapon and saved some time...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

... and if we just ...

Cat, You didn't bother reading it uh?

The girl (probably spraying against the wind) blinded herself as much as her oponent

What I meant to say was: Leave weapons at home, go to some martial art course if you feel insecure Or start watching other movies

And, in the- smaller than winning the jackpot- chance you are attacked by wildlife in a canyon, the black belt will be helpful to effectively use a knive against a wild animal that has the guts to attack a human, but a stone or a stick might be a more effective weapon if you know how to handle it!

I wander, if you fear a wildlife attack while mountainbiking, you must be a prepper?!
    do you believe that the world is going to end in 22 days??? anyone??

undercover brother
    I'll still always have a knife with me. Again, I have never had to use it for other than utility purposes, but if the day comes where some whack-job KY hillbilly comes chasing me, I'll be in somewhat of a better position than I would be without a knife. Just personal preference.

Albany West Oz
    I have been riding with these for years, granted it takes some time to dismantle the seats and you have to use a tandem all the time, but hey, no one messes with me.

Seriously, when I was in the States I really wished I had some of that bear spray mace , we saw bears everywhere and then "slept" in a tent with our food tied on ropes between trees, I did not sleep much at all. That stuff must be pretty good against bad guys too?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails solo night riding preparations-seat-post-mayhem.png  

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast