mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Solastorm xt40 ....... "explosion"..........

Solastrorm XT40 :<<<<<<<<<<"explosion" (short circuit)>>>>>>>>>

Hello guys, I accidentally reversed polarity to the batteries for Solastorm XT40.Someone can tell me what components?After opening head Light, Please someone can tell me what components? .Thanks to all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solastorm xt40  .......  &quot;explosion&quot;..........-20150406143245.jpg  

Solastorm xt40  .......  &quot;explosion&quot;..........-20150406172800.jpg  

Solastorm xt40  .......  &quot;explosion&quot;..........-xt40_2-scheda-driver-identificazione-componenti.jpg  

Solastorm xt40  .......  &quot;explosion&quot;..........-explosion-short-circuit-solastormxt40.jpg  

Last edited by alvapo; 04-06-2015 at 09:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Best to do this the easy way. Contact Gearbest and try to order just the rear plate with the board. No telling what other components might be damaged. For the cost and ease this would be the simple choice or just order a new lamp head only. Likely the cost of a lamp head only is about $25 with free shipping. When you compare this with trying to buy replacement components, paying for shipping and the problems you might encounter messing with the board you might see why I recommend just buying the back plate or lamp head only. Later maybe find some components cheap and try fixing the old one but unless you have a back-up I wouldn't count on having to fix the first one easily.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Cat-man-do: I will try to contact the dealer, but I doubt they have the replacement board or head light.---Chinese products are difficult to spare.---Solastorm xt 40 not in stock now... Two components elettronics (SMD) cost $2.5 and find them easily in Genova-Italy.-[(I'm italian)]- What are those fired from short circuit? :-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by alvapo View Post
    What are those fired from short circuit? :-)
    The bigger one is a Shottky diode (probably, SS34 or the like), the smaller one is most likely current-sense resistor: typical value is a fraction of Ohms.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    The bigger one is a Shottky diode (probably, SS34 or the like), the smaller one is most likely current-sense resistor: typical value is a fraction of Ohms.
    That bigger one looks to be a SMD tantalum capacitor, based on how its wired across the power input (a diode would not be) and also the yellow color shown in the other photo. Diodes are usually not yellow, but black... of course its hard to tell what color it was originally because the part is so badly charred.

It makes sense it blew up because tantalum capacitors are polarized and don't like being reversed biased like that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Oops, you're right! When I've submitted my reply, just one photo was posted by OP, and it looked to me like black color of that SMD part is native one. Now on added picture of "healthy" PCB it's clear that it's a capacitor indeed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    @-Archie- , @ kwarwick , @ cat-man-do: Grazie molte per le risposte,continuer˛ a indagare in web per i valori precisi dei componenti bruciati. (Traslation google ita-eng):Thank you very much for the answers, I will continue to investigate the web for the precise values of the components burned. Will probably be a few possible... ...------------ Already clever these Chinese ... not publish schematics or component values ... not to be cloned from other ... ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    For one of the tantalum capacitors I would read it 106C which is 10uF, 16V. Probably they were two in paralell.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    For one of the tantalum capacitors I would read it 106C which is 10uF, 16V. Probably they were two in paralell._________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________> ______->With your help I am solving problem headlight Chinese, but ...

Ape Man cycling .. I am ;-) .... Maybe I'm almost at the end of the investigation ... 50%
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solastorm xt40  .......  &quot;explosion&quot;..........-20150408225436.jpg  

Solastorm xt40  .......  &quot;explosion&quot;..........-20150408225554.jpg  

Solastorm xt40  .......  &quot;explosion&quot;..........-capacitor-tantalum-burned-solastorm-xt40.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by alvapo; 04-08-2015 at 02:55 PM.

RAKC
    I know u can get light heads easily and solarstorm has a large product line, seen ss x2 drivers out there already (can't remember where). I wouldn't be trying to fix that I would just replace the light head because they may not be the only damage.

Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    I know u can get light heads easily and solarstorm has a large product line, seen ss x2 drivers out there already (can't remember where). I wouldn't be trying to fix that I would just replace the light head because they may not be the only damage.
    I've got to agree with tigris here, best to get a whole new light head or at least a whole new controller board. There appears to be no reverse polarity protection on that board which means probably most of the components saw reverse bias for some period of time. I'd be very surprised if the capacitor and resistor are the only things damaged.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    @tigris99 , @Kwarwick it is very likely that driver is hopelessly ****ed and now-perhaps dead forever,but for my curiosity, I bet $ 2.50 components and four drops of tin solder...Also I thought reasonably as you want, and if you have the opportunity to tell me of the known drivers for modding,accept tips willingly.The original driver replacement is not available online,availability in sales.____________________________________________ ________________________
    attempt-Another component to be changed (attempt-try) ,still not well identified
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solastorm xt40  .......  &quot;explosion&quot;..........-20150409163329.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    serial number original driver,in the second photo ("user manual") lack polarity indications and insert battery holder (for apeman)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solastorm xt40  .......  &quot;explosion&quot;..........-20150406145003.jpg  

Solastorm xt40  .......  &quot;explosion&quot;..........-istruzioni-solastorm-xt40-jpeg024.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by alvapo View Post
    @tigris99 , @Kwarwick it is very likely that driver is hopelessly ****ed and now-perhaps dead forever,but for my curiosity, I bet $ 2.50 components and four drops of tin solder...Also I thought reasonably as you want, and if you have the opportunity to tell me of the known drivers for modding,accept tips willingly.The original driver replacement is not available online,availability in sales.____________________________________________ ________________________
    attempt-Another component to be changed (attempt-try) ,still not well identified
    Might be a zener diode: http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/469132.pdf

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    holder battery pack :warning-----> holder batteries sold without polarity indications.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solastorm xt40  .......  &quot;explosion&quot;..........-img_1364.jpg  

Solastorm xt40  .......  &quot;explosion&quot;..........-img_1355.jpg  

Solastorm xt40  .......  &quot;explosion&quot;..........-img_1357.jpg  

Solastorm xt40  .......  &quot;explosion&quot;..........-img_1362.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Necessaria, sempre,protezione inversione di polaritÓ.Con batterie al litio non bisogna scherzare.Traslation ita-eng : Necessary, always, protection Reverse polarity.Whit lithium batteries must not joking.
    Last edited by alvapo; 04-09-2015 at 10:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    W8-> 4.47 4.94 78 Kwarwick thanks!, you are a true warrior helpful. + rep!

RAKC
    Wtf is that battery case, that thing is a MESS. Not a solarstorm case I have ever seen. Contact the seller AND MAKE THEM REPLACE YOUR LIGHT. Whoever sold you that case is responsible for your light getting fried. Just inside the case itself should be polarity stickers for the batteries. Light heads dont have polarity in the paperwork because the connectors are one way only, your whole problem was the battery case. MAKE THE SELLER OF THE BATTERY CASE REPLACE EVERYTHING, CASE AND LIGHT. That case could have burned down your home.

As for protection for reverse polarity, ya its good to have but with cheap lights you don't get it, but instead things are clearly marked normally so you don't accidently reverse polarity.

Wtf is that battery case, that thing is a MESS. Not a solarstorm case I have ever seen. Contact the seller AND MAKE THEM REOLACE YOUR LIGHT. Whoever sold you that case is responsible for your light getting fried. Just inside the case itself should be polarity stickers for the batteries. Light heads dont have polarity in the paperwork because the connectors are one way only, your whole problem was the battery case. MAKE THE SELLER OF THE BATTERY CASE REPLACE EVERYTHING, CASE AND LIGHT. That case could have burned down your home.
    LOL. Careful there tigris, someone might take offense at your comments ;-) Looks like a creative attempt to reduce resistance in the battery springs. Doubt it was sold new that way...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The danger: The protection against reverse polarity must, in my opinion, always be installed .One stupid careless mistake can happen to anyone. Even the most experienced.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Wtf is that battery case, that thing is a MESS. Not a solarstorm case I have ever seen. Contact the seller AND MAKE THEM REPLACE YOUR LIGHT. Whoever sold you that case is responsible for your light getting fried. Just inside the case itself should be polarity stickers for the batteries. Light heads dont have polarity in the paperwork because the connectors are one way only, your whole problem was the battery case. MAKE THE SELLER OF THE BATTERY CASE REPLACE EVERYTHING, CASE AND LIGHT. That case could have burned down your home.

As for protection for reverse polarity, ya its good to have but with cheap lights you don't get it, but instead things are clearly marked normally so you don't accidently reverse polarity.
    Support Ticket created__________Waiting for staff response ...