mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Solarstorm x2 + Gemini Duo clone?

I have spent a few weeks going through the threads trying to make an informed decision on two new sets of lights. I feel like I am getting close to making a decision but would appreciate some help.

I currently use a 350niterider on my helmet and a few year old magicshine with a wide angle lens on the bars. My wife also rides and with two little kids we seldom get to ride together so we share as of now. The niterider is so dim that it makes it hard to go fast, and the magicshine is pretty sweet, but the wide angle lens really reduces the brightness. I ordered a Solarstorm clone from amazon about a week ago to try, but the battery only lasts about 20min on high. Also other people have reported the amazon version may not be as bright and have the same emitters as the others.

After reading further through the forum I it seems like a good setup would be a Solarstorm on the helmet, and a Gemini Duo clone for a flood on the bars. Still not sure on batteries.
    This solarstorm looks like the newest version on lightmalls.com with the XML2 emitters, 33 bucks thinking of getting two of these....
    New Black SolarStorm X2 With 2xCree XM-L2 LED 4-Mode Bike headlight,Bicycle Light Set(4*18650 Battery pack Included) - 2LED Bike Light - Led Bike Light - Bicycle Light & Headlamp Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

I was not able to find a gemini duo clone on lightmalls, only DX and fastech. Anyone able to find one or something comparable on lightmalls so I can only order from one place? I did see this on lightmall that looks similar and has XML2 emitters, but not sure if its any good...
    New Bike Light For BMW LED HeadLight Style | 2*Cree XM-L2 3-Mode 3000-Lumen Bike Light Lamp Cap ( Not include Battery pack) - Bicycle Light & Headlamp Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

Otherwise XML Duo clone from fastech looks like 51 bucks
    $51.18 YINDING 2*Cree XM-L U2 4-Mode 1800-Lumen White LED Bike Light / Headlamp - 1*battery pack (4*18650 / 4400mAh / 2S2P) / US plug at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

For batteries I think I will try the included ones as my rides are almost always less than an hour of singletrack, but if I need something else these from amazon were mentioned
    Amazon.com: Replacement 8.4V 6600mAh Rechargeable Battery Pack for Headlamp & Bicycle Light: Sports & Outdoors

Or just buying 50 dollar magicshine ones from actionLED.

Suggestions? It would be great to order from just one place, does it seem like a good setup?
    2012 Carbon Flash
    2012 Epic
    2011 Anthem X

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I don't have either of these lights yet, the solarstorm is in transit, but I think these lights are good based on the reviews. You will probably be happy with these.

I would say that you can't expect much from the batteries on these, as they are just too cheap. But they may work for you. For quality batteries I would go from the ones available on action led or xeccon. Since you are riding an hour, you might only need the smaller 4 cell battery. Those contain 4400 mAh. Those are pretty cheap also.

Also there is something going on with the post office with lithium batteries. Someone posted this on another thread
    https://www.fasttech.com/forums/-/t/1037107
    I'm not sure what this really means.

Can't you get everything at fasttech?
    Here's the solarstorm (older emitter)
    $40.73 SolarStorm X2 Cree XM-L U2 4-Mode 2000-Lumen LED Bicycle Bike Light - black / 4*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Also, kudos on actually reading the forum before asking for advice. There are so many OMG-what-should-I-buy threads that it's getting old.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    I don't have either of these lights yet, the solarstorm is in transit, but I think these lights are good based on the reviews. You will probably be happy with these.

I would say that you can't expect much from the batteries on these, as they are just too cheap. But they may work for you. For quality batteries I would go from the ones available on action led or xeccon. Since you are riding an hour, you might only need the smaller 4 cell battery. Those contain 4400 mAh. Those are pretty cheap also.

Also there is something going on with the post office with lithium batteries. Someone posted this on another thread
    https://www.fasttech.com/forums/-/t/1037107
    I'm not sure what this really means.

Can't you get everything at fasttech?
    Here's the solarstorm (older emitter)
    $40.73 SolarStorm X2 Cree XM-L U2 4-Mode 2000-Lumen LED Bicycle Bike Light - black / 4*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Also, kudos on actually reading the forum before asking for advice. There are so many OMG-what-should-I-buy threads that it's getting old.
    Thanks for your response!
    I went ahead and ordered a couple of the new XM-L2 solarstorms from lightmall for me and wifeys helmets. Still on the fence on the bar light. What I am looking for is something pretty floody, we mostly ride pretty tight, twisty, Minnesota singletrack, have been reading the reviews and threads going back a few months now and it seems like the Yinding duo clone from fastech, or the MJ-880 clone. I am curious how much better the new XM-L2 emitters are compared to the XML-T6 that I see listed.

So for a floody bar light to match my new solarstorm what would you guys go with, a MJ-880 clone or Yinding duo clone? Any ideas when we may see the newest XM-L2 emitters reaching shelves in these lights at places like fastech or lightmalls? Anything else for a bar light I should consider instead?
    Last edited by Posher; 10-22-2013 at 07:05 PM.
    2012 Carbon Flash
    2012 Epic
    2011 Anthem X

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I am also curious if maybe I am going the wrong direction with the bar light, after looking at beam shots on the MTBR light shootout, the MJ-872 looks really nice, one of my favorites. The gemini duo has a pretty tight beam pattern up close.

Gemini Duo backyard beam pattern
    2013 Bike Lights Shootout ? Beam Photos and Mtbr Lab tests | Mountain Bike Review

MJ- 872 backyard beam pattern
    2013 Bike Lights Shootout ? Beam Photos and Mtbr Lab tests | Mountain Bike Review

The 872 looks a little dated, but if I was interested in getting something floody and bright like this for the bars, which of the chinese clones would currently be the best? Any disadvantage to a 872 type bar light compared to the small dual beam lights like the duo most seem to be preferring?
    2012 Carbon Flash
    2012 Epic
    2011 Anthem X

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The 872 is running older XPG LED, not XML, some would say this is a good thing (floody vs spotty). TBH having seen both the 872 and the SSX2 and a Inton Dual XML (MS 880 clone), I'd stick with the newer XML's in a dual format. Their much brighter, reach further and the dual setup's are easily as floody IMO. Also I found the MS-872 where a real hot house when run on full for any period of time (4x LED vs 2...).
    In the UK, the MS-872 is stupidly expensive now, compared the SSX2, not search DX to compare prices there though.
    I'm hoping to see/compare one of the Gemini Duo clones this week with my SSX2, but am expecting a better floodier output from the Gemini (Would have ordered one of those, if I'd seen them 1st..)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by z1ppy View Post
    The 872 is running older XPG LED, not XML, some would say this is a good thing (floody vs spotty). TBH having seen both the 872 and the SSX2 and a Inton Dual XML (MS 880 clone), I'd stick with the newer XML's in a dual format. Their much brighter, reach further and the dual setup's are easily as floody IMO. Also I found the MS-872 where a real hot house when run on full for any period of time (4x LED vs 2...).
    In the UK, the MS-872 is stupidly expensive now, compared the SSX2, not search DX to compare prices there though.
    I'm hoping to see/compare one of the Gemini Duo clones this week with my SSX2, but am expecting a better floodier output from the Gemini (Would have ordered one of those, if I'd seen them 1st..)
    Glad I asked, thank you. So the plan of a MJ-880 or Gemini duo clone might be the right track. Anyone seen these two lights side by side and have an opinion on how they compare? Although they seem quite similar it looks to my uneducated eye that the lenses are quite different, reflector vs optics? Advantages to either for a bar light?
    2012 Carbon Flash
    2012 Epic
    2011 Anthem X

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

mtbr member
    No experience with that light, but the driver is the same as used in the "KD Tri-clone" reviewed by Cat here. Really cool programmable driver! Sounds like a great light to me assuming the heatsinking isn't an issue.
    -Garry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    No experience with that light, but the driver is the same as used in the "KD Tri-clone" reviewed by Cat here. Really cool programmable driver! Sounds like a great light to me assuming the heatsinking isn't an issue.
    -Garry
    @Garry....I promise to give the KD (stepless) Tri-clone a proper run through as soon as I get a chance. Right now the weather where I live has provided rain every other day and so finding trails dry enough to ride has been tough going. ( I need three or four days of consecutive dry weather really bad.. ) I might have to do some driving to find some trails dry enough to make it worth my effort. With all the rain we've had the trails where I live are in dismal condition. Massive erosion, debris, mud pits...nothing that inspires. The local clubs that watch over the area have their work cut out for them this year.

@Posher...The lamp that Slabber linked to looks like a winner. It has XM-L2 emitters and it has a stepless sub menu that allows you to program each mode ( if you wish to do so ).

What kind of beam pattern it will produce is anyone's guess but if it is not to your liking you might be able to alter ( or replace ) one of the optics to provide a wider beam.

mtbr member
    I will be running this exact set up now...my buddy just bought me a Solar Storm..its going on the helmet and the Yinding on the bars. Will report back in the next week once I try it out.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    You can read my post above on this setup. Basically...it works great! The SS X2 is a nice spot for the helmet and the Yinding works excellent as a bar light. This will be my new go-to combo. I am using the batteries that came with both with no issues for rides under 2 hours. I replaced the optics on the Yinding with some 45 degree ones and will try out this week to see if it improves the Yinding or not. This is basically a full setup for $80.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    What about the solar storm 3? Black Color SolarStorm X3 3xCree XM-L U2 4-Modes 2500-lumen Bicycle Light (4*18650 Battery) - Hot sales Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

What is the exact setup you have and how long to receive in the mail?

Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    You can read my post above on this setup. Basically...it works great! The SS X2 is a nice spot for the helmet and the Yinding works excellent as a bar light. This will be my new go-to combo. I am using the batteries that came with both with no issues for rides under 2 hours. I replaced the optics on the Yinding with some 45 degree ones and will try out this week to see if it improves the Yinding or not. This is basically a full setup for $80.

mtbr member
    SS X2 on the helmet and Yinding on the bar. Got both from Wallbuys. Yinding took just at 3 weeks I believe and the SS was faster..more like 2. Be careful...on the Wallbuys site they have 2 different models of the Yinding listed..you want the one with the XM-L2s as the other is a lower quality unit. This is all discussed recently in the Yinding threads.