Dec 2007

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Name:  1285800-1-thumb.jpg
Views: 26872
Size:  2.5 KB

$46.54 Fasttech

OR

$65 Fancyflashlights

I like what it says about the modes, that is, the order of the modes and the hidden strobe. Unfortunately it doesn't give the strength of each mode or say if both LEDs are used all the time like I hope they are.

High performance electronic switch for turn on/off and change the mode in Lo > Mid > Hi, press over 1 second to access Strobe Mode
    2000 chinese lumens. With a current draw of 2.3A, it should put out nearly 1000 emitter lumens.

A 1A charger is better than what most cheap lights come with.

If the throw is decent, the low profile should make this a decent helmet lamp.

It comes with the typical 4x18650 battery pack of unknown quality.

I'll keep an eye on this. I've been using a heavy flashlight on my helmet, and although the throw is phenomenal, it strains my neck too much on long rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post

$46.54 Fasttech

OR

$65 Fancyflashlights

I like what it says about the modes, that is, the order of the modes and the hidden strobe. Unfortunately it doesn't give the strength of each mode or say if both LEDs are used all the time like I hope they are.

2000 chinese lumens. With a current draw of 2.3A, it should put out nearly 1000 emitter lumens.

I'll keep an eye on this. I've been using a heavy flashlight on my helmet, and although the throw is phenomenal, it strains my neck too much on long rides.
    Great find Leaftye!! This lamp seems to be a repackaged version of the D99 that D/X was selling a while back but a bit more refined. The battery is probably crap but the lamp looks pretty nice. I expect people to be all over this. Unlike the D99 this lamp has only one button but does the same thing as the D99. Has battery indicators as well. Push/hold to activate strobe. I might get one of these myself. After seeing these it wouldn't surprise me to see D/X and other websites selling these as well. Very good price. Hope the battery is not crap but not a big deal even if it is. The battery connectors have a screw-on sleeve but other than that they are likely similar to standard MS connectors. It wouldn't surprise me if the MS type batteries work without too much problem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That's right, good memory, I thought these looked awfully familiar! The loss of the second button means having to be a bit more careful that changing modes doesn't turn it off, but I don't think that'd be a big problem for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Looks real good. There's even a red one. This is the same light that Lichitisky posted about the other day. $46 is a steal for one of these. Really all the double xml lights are a bit over-priced in my opinion, since the additional cost of an extra led is probably only about $5.

I wish they would use the standard magicshine/Xeccon connector. I think you would have to cut off the shield on the lamp side of the connector to even have a chance of compatibility. Too bad no one just sells just the connector.

It hard to tell if beam is any good. Looks more like a spot than anything.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-solarstorm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    I wish they would use the standard magicshine/Xeccon connector. I think you would have to cut off the shield on the lamp side of the connector to even have a chance of compatibility. Too bad no one just sells just the connector.
    It's still compatible enough. Look at the charger. It's the same model # that came with my Skyray bike light. That light can use Magicshine and Xeccon battery packs.

The only limitation is the charger and battery pack that come with this light may not work with Magicshine-compatible light heads. The charger is weak and the battery is cheap, so that's not a big loss. That's what I mean about it being compatible enough.

I do wish they'd sell the light heads separately...

Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    It hard to tell if beam is any good. Looks more like a spot than anything.
    That's good news for me. I want it to be more throwy if I'm going to put this on my helmet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It's still compatible enough. Look at the charger. It's the same model # that came with my Skyray bike light. That light can use Magicshine and Xeccon battery packs.

The only limitation is the charger and battery pack that come with this light may not work with Magicshine-compatible light heads. The charger is weak and the battery is cheap, so that's not a big loss. That's what I mean about it being compatible enough.
    Okay, you convinced me. Having just picked up a Xeccon 6600mAh battery, I now have two batteries with the Magicshine design. So I want to be able to those superior batteries with this light head.

I highly doubt that this light will stay at this price for long ($47). They are trying to sell them for over $60 on ebay. Yeah, I know I'm violating the first rule of fight club.

Speaking of ebay, the seller posted another beamshot which makes it look like more of flooder.

New Hero 2X CREE XM L U2 LED Bicycle Bike Light 1800 Lumens w Power Indicator | eBay

You gotta love this quote:

As the leader of night riding,it will bring you infinite light!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-solarforce-2.jpg  

Last edited by varider; 03-20-2013 at 04:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It sounds like buying from that ebay seller is the way to go. When the battery goes dead during a ride, file a paypal claim due to finite light.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the heads up leaftye!! Got a red one on the way from fasttech. :-))

$46.54 Fasttech

OR

$65 Fancyflashlights

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The mechanical design looks better than any other two XM-L reflector/projector, even Gloworm of Gemini. The lateral fins create a better thermal resistance for air flowing along it during ride, in contrast to the vertical fins of the Gloworm and Gemini, making possible to get even 1400-1600 lumen safely for LEDs. Anyways, is the site trustworthy? I mean this: 60 Bike Lights at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Has anyone experience with it? Price is so low that looks like a scam.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    This will be my first try with fasttech. There are decent reports over on BLF. Quite a few people getting their 18650s from them.
    I have 2 orders started with them and they have shipped with tracking numbers within 2 days.
    My expectations are not high on the battery pack quality but the light head looks decent.
    There are some discount codes floating around also.

Quote Originally Posted by uiflorin View Post
    The mechanical design looks better than any other two XM-L reflector/projector, even Gloworm of Gemini. The lateral fins create a better thermal resistance for air flowing along it during ride, in contrast to the vertical fins of the Gloworm and Gemini, making possible to get even 1400-1600 lumen safely for LEDs. Anyways, is the site trustworthy? I mean this: 60 Bike Lights at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Has anyone experience with it? Price is so low that looks like a scam.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Keep us posted, it's on my list now. At this price the battery can be replaced by something decent and still get the light under $100 or so. Plus, the design looks like it can be modified, adding some extra fins on top, for better cooling.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, Fasttech is legit. If there were a poll on budgetlightforum, I bet Fasttech would come up as the most reputable vendor. They should out as fast or faster than any other vendor I've used. I've had 4 orders with them that have taken no more than 3 weeks, and as little as 7 calendar days...one order arrived in 8 calendar days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

It's Here

I just got my FandyFire X2 from fasttech.com It is surprisingly small and seems very well made. I just took a couple of pictures with my phone and I will post some more info along with a beam shot. As for the battery there are no serial numbers or identifying marks but atleast it looks to be soldered decently.

Also I checked and the connector for the light does work with a standard magicshine connector battery (geomangear specifically). It plugs in just fine but probably isn't very waterproof.

IMAG0055 by kfunfsinn, on Flickr

IMAG0058 by kfunfsinn, on Flickr

IMAG0052 by kfunfsinn, on Flickr

IMAG0064 by kfunfsinn, on Flickr

DSC_0006 by kfunfsinn, on Flickr

DSC_0008 by kfunfsinn, on Flickr

DSC_0009 by kfunfsinn, on Flickr

DSC_0010 by kfunfsinn, on Flickr
    Last edited by ubrv8; 04-03-2013 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Battery Pictures

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Too many sharp edges for my taste on the Mountainbike. Perhaps this one is better ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Great info ubrv8. Especially appreciate the insight that it's compatible with magicshine batteries.

Could you please tell me how the beam compares to the Magicshine 808 or equivalent, which is a more of spot beam. I 'm looking for a flood beam for a bar light.

Thank you
    Last edited by varider; 04-05-2013 at 02:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    That light looks like a Magicshine MJ-880 clone without the anodizing. That's the right price.

mtbr member
    @ubrv8, got a DSLR camera, or can borrow one?

I would apreciate some approved nightshots, using the standard MTBR settings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The light looks awesome in my opinion. I would rather have the fins on the side than on the side, in case I bash my head into the bars accidentally. That hasn't happened in a while though

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrystyan27 View Post
    @ubrv8, got a DSLR camera, or can borrow one?

I would apreciate some approved nightshots, using the standard MTBR settings.
    Yes I have a DSLR, what are the standard MTBR settings?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Well, I received mine also. Didn't work right away and then was intermittent.
    Turns out the cable connector on the light side was broken inside.
    I just spliced on a spare with extra cable and all is good.
    I wanted a longer cable anyway.

Brief review. Looks to be about 30% brighter than my single xml magicshine. So maybe around 1000 real lumens.
    Beam is definitely spotty which is good. I'll be using it on the lid.
    Battery seems strong off the charger, measured 8.45v. Nothing lost over night.
    Not sure when I'll actually use it so run time won't be available for a while.
    It weighs almost exactly the same as my single xml MS.
    The 3 modes are a decent spread and the press and hold for the strobe is nice.
    And the good news! The strobe is not a strobe but a slow flash, perfect for on the road.
    Cycling through the modes could be problem as you have to go through the off mode to go from hi to low.
    Not impressed with the wire gauge, seems way to thin to me as evident with the broken wire in my unit.
    Overall seems to be pretty good value for under 50 bux delivered.

mtbr member
    @ubrv8 -

"camera settings: full manual, ISO-100, Exposure-6 seconds, Aperture-F4.0, Focus-Manual, White Balance-Daylight".

I apreciate !
    Thanks a lot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Beam Shot Indoor

I don't have a backyard and I haven't been able to take a night right yet, so indoor beam shots will have to do for now.

The first set is using the MTBR standard of
    "camera settings: full manual, ISO-100, Exposure-6 seconds, Aperture-F4.0, Focus-Manual, White Balance-Daylight".

In the garage this was too bright so I took a second set where I changed the exposure to 1 second to get a better reference on how bright the light is. I compare it to my MJ808E (with the wide angle lens from ActionLED). With the 6 second exposure the MJ808E looks much brighter in the picture, this is not really the case, I think the wall is bouncing back too much ligh

X2 - High - 6s

IMGP6071 by kfunfsinn, on Flickr
    808E (WA) - High - 6s

IMGP6075 by kfunfsinn, on Flickr
    X2 - Med - 6s

IMGP6070 by kfunfsinn, on Flickr
    X2 - Low - 6s

IMGP6069 by kfunfsinn, on Flickr
    X2 - High - 1s

IMGP6082 by kfunfsinn, on Flickr

808E (WA) - High - 1s

IMGP6077 by kfunfsinn, on Flickr
    X2 - Medium - 1s

IMGP6081 by kfunfsinn, on Flickr
    X2 - Low - 1s

IMGP6080 by kfunfsinn, on Flickr

mtbr member
    I think the MTBR settings are generally used for outdoor beam shots. With distance photos not as much light is reflected back thus the need for longer exposure.

The photos you gave are really only useful for gauging beam pattern. Only an outdoor photo will show others how intense the beam pattern is and how far it will throw. If you do an outdoor shot try to bring something along to use as distance markers. Markers at 50, 75, 100, 150 ft are a good place to start...thanks for the effort.

mtbr member
    I've gathered some information about the SolarStorm, by posting in their forums:

Suitable for modding?: FastTech Forums

Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast