Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Can one replace the leds in these?
    Last edited by OFFcourse; 11-01-2013 at 07:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm getting the Gemini Olympia 2100 soon, I like the light pattern best on the Gemini nice and smooth. The SS have a spot in center and a halo, not my preferred pattern. My peripheral vision is affected by the halo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    The last 45 min. of test was done in my garage with high powered fan blowing on lights.

I will test the Gemini 4 cell samsung cells battery next. I think the batteries will do better after a few cycles of charging and discharging. Is that correct Leonard ? Using Gemini charger.
    Luv da bike. AFAIK Jury is still out on conditioning lithium batteries for the first 3 full-charge to full-discharge cycles. Try it.

Runtime test should be a simulation of riding with the lights. So aim for about a 10mph airflow. Higher airflow is better for the lights but it distorts reading. Test from start to end indoors or outdoors. Just keep it constant.

What is important is the X3 is as bright as the 2 x X2. Still amazed how identical the runtimes were.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    The 2-x2 lights on the bars "rear led button" started to flash at 2 hours 45 min. At 3 hours 15 min. went black. The x3 on the helmet went into flash at 3 hours 13 min. than went black 1 min. later.
    dgw, have to bring up this statement again. Wonder why only a 2 minute warning before depletion when you had around 30 mins warning with the SSX2s. Please check if this is happening in other rundowns. Also switch over batteries and light heads.

Last test, run both batteries with SSX2 separately. See how close we are to the expected runtime of 6.5 hours with the 7800s.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Purchased a Solarstorm X2 from fleabay (no. 111154856805). First one had the mounting screw strip out of the bottom of the head simply by mounting it to the bars. I returned it and they sent a new one. But the battery is crap. 42 minutes on high. The 3 indicators on the back are largely useless too it seems- after a full charge it never reads full.
    The customer service has been good so far, so I contacted them to see about a new battery- which may not be any better-or preferably a partial refund.

You get what you pay for I suppose. I'll look into decent replacement batteries.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ok, I'm testing now !! All Solarstorm lights, x2 power by Xeccon 6 cell 7800mah battery and x3 power by another Xeccon 7800mah battery. Inside test with high powered fan started at 9:50 am.

Than I decided to also test x2 powered by Gemini 4 cell 5200mah battery and x2 powered by Magicshine 4 cell 5600mah started test at 10:20 am.

All batteries charged by same Gemini charger, all light s on high setting. The x3 green led at rear of light head goes to 2 within seconds after turning on, so the indicator are not very accurate. Also the rubber bands that come with lights are junk, they will break. The Gemini bands are great !! I think the Xeccon will run the x2 for 6+ hours on high. Will see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-p1060235.jpg  

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-p1060237.jpg  

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    Can one replace the leds in these?
    Yes, iirc leds are mounted on 16mm stars and thermal paste. Just unsolder old stars and solder new ones, very easy.

Wonder why only a 2 minute warning before depletion when you had around 30 mins warning with the SSX2s.
    Probably different driver and different voltage levels for indicators. One flashing led on the back is supposed to indicate "emergency! less than 5% battery remaining".
    I still find its hard to believe that SSX3 draws 3.5A from battery...I've only seen 2 chinese lights with 3A draw or higher. Most of them can drive leds up to 3A but usually they're setup for much lower current, probably to provide a better runtime on crappy batteries.

The x3 green led at rear of light head goes to 2 within seconds after turning on, so the indicator are not very accurate.
    And again...these indicators will only show the correct battery capacity when light is turned off. When its on you get a huge voltage drop, especially on high mode.
    We really need a guide/FAQ on chinese lights, these questions pop up in every popular thread.

But the battery is crap. 42 minutes on high. The 3 indicators on the back are largely useless too it seems- after a full charge it never reads full.
    See above. Indicators are not useless, but your battery is. And you will _never_ get a good battery with SSX2, its simply impossible. Max capacity for chinese batteries is about 4000mAh and even then it'll be made from crappy cells that can't handle high load.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    And again...these indicators will only show the correct battery capacity when light is turned off. When its on you get a huge voltage drop, especially on high mode.
    We really need a guide/FAQ on chinese lights, these questions pop up in every popular thread.

See above. Indicators are not useless, but your battery is. And you will _never_ get a good battery with SSX2, its simply impossible. Max capacity for chinese batteries is about 4000mAh and even then it'll be made from crappy cells that can't handle high load.
    I must have missed the point about voltage drop. My mistake.

Yes, I am aware that the batteries are a lottery at best. I was only referencing my experience with this particular seller in case anyone else was thinking of ordering from them. But then again, they could have lights with a dozen different batteries, who knows.
    That being said, they are sent from the UK, so anyone in Europe can get one from this source in a few days. They also replaced the defective lamp, and have promised to send another battery- only time will tell if its any better. Point being that customer service does exist from this source.

Once I've learned more about this and read a few thousand posts in this forum I may be confident enough to install some quality cells- or I'll just get a battery pack from a reputable source.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    dgw7000 we need some on-trail beamshots of that setup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    X3 cut out 12:42 started at 9:50, so almost 3 hours on high. Give or take a few min. Again no flashing from the x3 just went out !!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    X2 with Gemini 4 cell battery went out at 1:29 started at 10:20 no flashing, was on high when it died. So 3 hours 9 min. Full high the whole time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Also tested a 2 cell Xeccon Bak cell battery with a Gemini Xera light head. Single led light, the battery lasted 2 hours 44 min. the last 45 min. it was in red flashing mode.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    X2 with 6 cell Xeccon battery went out at 3:31 and started test at 9:50. 2:45 green led indicator started to flash but light stayed on high. At 3:10 light got dimmer till out at 3:31. So about 5 hours and 45 min. total run time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    X2 powered by Magicshine 4 cell battery started at 10:20 is still going at 3:56, but is clear these x2 must be different because the rear led went into flash mode at 12:58. Than light got really dim and is still producing light now but so dim. If I unplug it and use one of the other x2 lights it will not turn on. Plugged it back in and still going. No heat at all, still going at 4:20.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-p1060238.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    That indicates that the 12,000mAh battery is really ~6,000mAh. Chinese spec inflation at its finest.

Not surprised but it is double the life of the original one and at the price buying a good battery pack still makes it a cheap light unit..

mtbr member
    X2 powered by Magicshine 4 cell battery started at 10:20 is still going at 3:56, but is clear these x2 must be different because the rear led went into flash mode at 12:58. Than light got really dim and is still producing light now but so dim. If I unplug it and use one of the other x2 lights it will not turn on. Plugged it back in and still going. No heat at all, still going at 4:20.
    dgw, I hope you have unplugged this by now. The battery can over-discharge if you run it down completely.

@Kir: this is what I don't get about some of these lights. The culprits are normally 3.7v-4.2v light systems that tend to deplete like a NiMH battery. Isn't the protection circuit in the battery supposed to kick in and shut it down? What is causing it to bypass the safety?
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yea I shut it down at 4:30, These lights were all bought from the same supplier on ebay. I think I'll sell these and go with Gloworm or Gemini you know what your paying for with them.

Leonard how is the newer Xeccon S12 Two light?

mtbr member
    Yea I shut it down at 4:30, These lights were all bought from the same supplier on ebay. I think I'll sell these and go with Gloworm or Gemini you know what your paying for with them.

Leonard how is the newer Xeccon S12 Two light?
    The battery that was used in this last test is the 4 cell MJ-6030 correct? Was expecting it to deplete about the same time as the Gemini. Was waiting and waiting for your runtime update post after the Gemini depleted. Was actually impressed as the minutes past. Now I know what happened.

5 hours 45 mins for the X2 with 7800mAh is not bad at all. Was expecting more since we had a better result when you shared the battery with 2 light heads.

Don't want to derail the thread. Talk about the S12 Two in the other thread later.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'm going to buy a solarstorm x2 or some clone in the next week. What is going to be my best bet for a supplier? I've read this whole thread (whew) and it seems like there's been a lot of variation in both light and battery quality depending on where and when you buy - so my question is, if you've purchased recently and got good product, who'd you buy from and what did you buy? I'm willing to buy a light and battery separately, but I'm looking to keep the total under $45...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm

Wow, looks like you could light up the outer reaches of the solar system with all those lights!

Ok, I'm testing now !! All Solarstorm lights, x2 power by Xeccon 6 cell 7800mah battery and x3 power by another Xeccon 7800mah battery. Inside test with high powered fan started at 9:50 am.

Than I decided to also test x2 powered by Gemini 4 cell 5200mah battery and x2 powered by Magicshine 4 cell 5600mah started test at 10:20 am.

All batteries charged by same Gemini charger, all light s on high setting. The x3 green led at rear of light head goes to 2 within seconds after turning on, so the indicator are not very accurate. Also the rubber bands that come with lights are junk, they will break. The Gemini bands are great !! I think the Xeccon will run the x2 for 6+ hours on high. Will see.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by back bowl View Post
    I'm going to buy a solarstorm x2 or some clone in the next week. What is going to be my best bet for a supplier? I've read this whole thread (whew) and it seems like there's been a lot of variation in both light and battery quality depending on where and when you buy - so my question is, if you've purchased recently and got good product, who'd you buy from and what did you buy? I'm willing to buy a light and battery separately, but I'm looking to keep the total under $45...
    There is a chance you may get lucky and get a good battery (last maybe 2 hours on high), but probably not. I doubt you can get a light head and a quality battery for less than $45 unless you get lucky.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbRevolution View Post
    @Kir: this is what I don't get about some of these lights. The culprits are normally 3.7v-4.2v light systems that tend to deplete like a NiMH battery. Isn't the protection circuit in the battery supposed to kick in and shut it down? What is causing it to bypass the safety?
    Protection PCB can fail, but thats probably not the reason for this.
    Different batteries use different protection pcbs, or rather different voltage cutoff levels. Safe level is about 6v (3v per cell), but some pcbs will allow discharge up to 4.8-5v (2.4-2.5v per cell).
    Dual XML lights like SSX use 2 leds connected in series and buck/step-down driver which will work as long as input voltage is higher than the voltage on leds (about 3v for xml, so 6v for 2 leds).
    When input voltage will fall below 6v the light will drop out of regulation and leds will start to dim. At the same time current from battery will decrease too, at 5v SSX2 will take about 0.05A - so this "very dim" stage can last for a very long time.
    Name:  b0c5f9g7vc2y2xsay.gif
Views: 1761
Size:  21.1 KB
    It will look like this.

This is actually very useful as a secondary protection - you won't be able to discharge your battery lower than ~5v because brightness/current draw will drop to almost zero at this voltage.
    If you want to compare runtimes on different batteries - use SSX3, it should have boost driver (3 leds in series) that will not go out of regulation until the protection pcb activates in battery.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

One led of my solarstorm x2 stop working.
    Any ideas to the solution?
    SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-imageuploadedbytapatalk1383514475.096393.jpg

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Replace the led, you need to know how to solder or find somebody who does. Or just check the wires and led's soldering to star, it could be a broken contact somewhere.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

I already check the wires and I don't see any broken.
    How I check the led soldering to star?
    I have to talk with Sunny of lightmalls because the light have only one week.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    you can measure the voltage on the led as a starting point ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

How I do that?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If you don't have electrical skill you should let some electrician take a look at that. To measure voltage you need a multimeter and attach plus probe on red cable and minus/black probe on black cable. See this, but take care!!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zaang View Post
    I already check the wires and I don't see any broken.
    How I check the led soldering to star?
    I have to talk with Sunny of lightmalls because the light have only one week.
    Send it back as a warranty claim... Faulty goods... Easier than fixing it...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

The shipping costs is more than a new one
    I'm from Portugal.

Edit: I already talk with the store and they will send a new one for only 7 euros, is more cheaper to me because the shipping costs from portugal to claim the warranty are +/- 20 euros.....

About the faulty solarstorm x2 i have, you think is the led is damaged?
    Where i can get a new led (with the star) to fix this?
    also need a lens, i let dropped and was chipped.
    The fasttech has several but do not know which indicated

thanks
    Last edited by zaang; 11-04-2013 at 12:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for thread guys it helped as I have not been in market for 3 years till now as my MagicShine battery is almost dead.
    I tried this one with my Amex card so I won't get burned.(oops sorry )
    Last edited by glovemtb; 11-07-2013 at 05:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Buyers beware: my cycling club's mate has just received SSX2 ordered from LightMalls:
    Black Color SolarStorm X2 2*Cree XM-L2 2200-Lumen Led Bike Light Without Battery Pack - Bicycle Lights Lamp Cap - Bicycle Light & Headlamp Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

Among traditional assembling imperfections, there's also an epic fail: the LED mounting pills are just plain absent! The LEDs inside are literally hanging in the air, with no any thermal sinking at all:

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    Buyers beware: my cycling club's mate has just received SSX2 ordered from LightMalls:
    Black Color SolarStorm X2 2*Cree XM-L2 2200-Lumen Led Bike Light Without Battery Pack - Bicycle Lights Lamp Cap - Bicycle Light & Headlamp Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

Among traditional assembling imperfections, there's also an epic fail: the LED mounting pills are just plain absent! The LEDs inside are literally hanging in the air, with no any thermal sinking at all:
    Damn, that's the one I ordered almost five weeks ago and still haven't received. F these guys.

Light freak
    Archie - You sound surprised???

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    Archie - You sound surprised???
    Yes, I am. I've seen quite many Chinese lights of various design and different grades of [so to speak] quality: thermal management was excellent, acceptable, barely adequate, mediocre, poor, terrible, anything - but it was present. This time, I'm surprised indeed...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I would write lightmalls for sure, mine SSX2 U2 have both alloy pills

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    I would write lightmalls for sure, mine SSX2 U2 have both alloy pills
    Is it just a round disc? I tried to look at the pictures on previous pages, but I didn't really see a picture of that one part by itself. Where did you buy yours?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

I'm waiting for two of these.......

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Mine U2's are from lightmalls: SolarStorm/FandyFire X2 - Page 10

the alloy pill is pretty thick and yes a sort of a round disc press-fitted inside the case

Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Is it just a round disc? I tried to look at the pictures on previous pages, but I didn't really see a picture of that one part by itself. Where did you buy yours?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

And you buy only the head light from lightmalls?
    I'm waiting for the shipping of two head lights with xm-l2 and I have afraid they don't have thermal protection....
    Do you think is better I talk tho lightmalls send me the xm-l U2 versions because the thermal protection?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    zaang, yes I bought the light head only. Well maybe you get the one with the correct alloy pill inside.

BTW is there anyone who can post photos of xm-l2 version of this light from lightmalls? I mean besides this poorly made one :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    Mine U2's are from lightmalls: SolarStorm/FandyFire X2 - Page 10

the alloy pill is pretty thick and yes a sort of a round disc press-fitted inside the case
    I don't have any kind of machining capability other than a drill, a couple of saws etc. I doubt I could make that kind of disc with any kind of precision. You really need a lathe of some sort. Maybe a hole saw?

Hopefully I won't get f'ed like Archie's friend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If you can buy (as Kir measured 20 mm) some alloy or copper rod about 20 mm thick, you can try it at least. Or use some 20 mm cent/euro/whatever coin if you get the bad one :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think I may be able to get an automotive expansion plug and ram it in there
    Buy Dorman - Autograde Brass Cup-Type Expansion Plug 20mm 565-101.1 at Advance Auto Parts

I don't even have the light yet. Let's hope I don't have this problem.

mtbr member
    i'm still waiting on mine from lightmalls. its been a couple weeks. how long did it take you guys to recieve yours in the usa? heres what my tracking looks like:

the top entry which is the latest happened about a week ago.

Destination Country - Usa:Tracking Consuming:562 Millisecond
    , , Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

Origin Country - Singapore:Tracking Consuming:2106 Millisecond, Cache Time:2013/11/04 10:46:20
    28-10-2013, Despatched to overseas (Country code: US)
    22-10-2013, Information Received (This is not an acknowledgment of the physical receipt of the stated Registered Article)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I ordered on Sep 30 from lightmalls. I think it took until Oct 18 to leave Singapore. There was some sort of holiday in there though. I still don't have it.

Light freak
    Maybe someone wants to help this person get their money back without having to wait weeks/months-

SolarStorm Light Head and Xeccon S12 Kit - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    I ordered on Sep 30 from lightmalls. I think it took until Oct 18 to leave Singapore. There was some sort of holiday in there though. I still don't have it.
    wow thats long. I was expecting 2-3 weeks. what happens when you use your tracking number on usps.com? mine says "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment", date/time, location are blank.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    Maybe someone wants to help this person get their money back without having to wait weeks/months-

SolarStorm Light Head and Xeccon S12 Kit - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Thank you Scar. The Xeccon S12 has been sold. The SolarStorm Light Head is still available and ready to ship. I will ship priority mail so someone could receive it in 2-3 days - NOT weeks or months!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe3 View Post
    wow thats long. I was expecting 2-3 weeks. what happens when you use your tracking number on usps.com? mine says "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment", date/time, location are blank.
    Mine says the same. I don't think it will show anything until it's delivered!

This might be another option for the missing heat disc. They will be slightly too big though.
    Qty 10 Copper DISCS 7/8 x 22g Copper by KlynnJewelryDesigns

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast