Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks Kir,

So I have to warn you guys - if you buy additional battery pack from Fasttech - check the connector size. They list it as "5.5 mm" size, but say nothing about pin size.

This one:
    $10.53 8.4V 4400mAh 2S2P 4*18650 Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery Pack - DC port 5.5mm / 500 times rechargeable at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    has 5.5/2.5 connector which wont fit

These have proper 5.5/2.1 connectors:
    $22.58 8.4V 8000mAh 2S2P 4*26650 Battery Pack - DC port 5.5mm / 500 times rechargeable at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    $16.29 8.4V 6600mAh 2S3P 6*18650 Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery Pack - DC port 5.5mm / 500 times rechargeable at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

They really should inform about that...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    Ok, let's be correct - it is a MS pack from DX. If you want to use the pack alone after some time when the cells would be weak, it is difficult to replace them. That was my original idea
    I have some experience with the MS pack from DX, having written the review referred to (also on these forums). After 2.5 years, the cells in my pack have aged & are now of different capacity, ie time for a replacement.

I intend to simply replace the cells with some nice Panasonic or Sanyo cells. Solder tabs are nice & easy, but you can solder direct to the cells.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    [QUOTE=calzone;10673725]Thanks Kir,

So I have to warn you guys - if you buy additional battery pack from Fasttech - check the connector size. They list it as "5.5 mm" size, but say nothing about pin size.

This one:
    $10.53 8.4V 4400mAh 2S2P 4*18650 Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery Pack - DC port 5.5mm / 500 times rechargeable at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    has 5.5/2.5 connector which wont fit

These have proper 5.5/2.1 connectors:
    $22.58 8.4V 8000mAh 2S2P 4*26650 Battery Pack - DC port 5.5mm / 500 times rechargeable at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    $16.29 8.4V 6600mAh 2S3P 6*18650 Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery Pack - DC port 5.5mm / 500 times rechargeable at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

So will both the bottom two batteries work with the SSX2.
    How long run time will the 8000 mAh give and will this be able to be charged with my original SSX2 charger?

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    3, maybe 3.5 hours on high. Real capacity is ~6100mAh.
    Yes, you can charge it with your charger.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So best to get another 4x18650 and use a splitter cable (would this work) or get a 4x26650

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Quote Originally Posted by calzone View Post
    Just got one of these. Black battery pack, cannnot say anything about capacity yet. The lamp quality seems good, here are my current draw measurements (external PSU, stabilized 8.4V):

max mode: 2.13 A (2130 mA),
    mid mode: .85 A (850 mA), fluctuates from 0.8 to 0.9
    min mode: .03A (30 ma), fluctuates from 0.025 to 0.035

So there is plenty of light in max mode, lamp is getting very hot quickly.
    How is that one going? I ordered one after getting a refund from ali ex for my defective ssx2. It took some doing but I got a full refund without sending mine back. Looking forward to the arrival. How is yours in brightness and workmanship, not concerned about battery qual.

Ive ordered some 16mm star U2 leds so I can rebuild the ssx2 as well.

Sent from my GT-I9195T using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yes, IF they send them with the connectors exactly as pictured.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
    How is that one going? I ordered one after getting a refund from ali ex for my defective ssx2. It took some doing but I got a full refund without sending mine back. Looking forward to the arrival. How is yours in brightness and workmanship, not concerned about battery qual.
    This lamp looks very good, although I did not disassemble it, so I don't know what's inside. I was a little concerned about heat dissipation, but during actual ride it was no problem. In high mode lamp was just a little warm. Medium mode (BTW: 3h20min on stock battery) gives absolutely enough light for average MTB speeds, high would be useful for very fast descents, if any.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Thanks I'm planning on it beig a helmet mount as the 4xml ive got on the bars blazes. Had it up against guys with multiple ay up set ups and they were dim in comparison. Mind you the 4x is heavier. Cheers for the update

On the topic of batteries, can I easily convert a 4 cell into a two cell for the helmet?

Sent from my GT-I9195T using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Lightfoot; 09-14-2013 at 06:48 PM.

mtbr member

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Anyone happen to know the dimensions of the reflectors on this? My "smooth" reflectors are poorly made and I want to replace them with OP reflectors. I think it takes a 1mm hex key to unscrew and all I have is a 1.5 and a .05", which is too small.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Anyone happen to know the dimensions of the reflectors on this? My "smooth" reflectors are poorly made and I want to replace them with OP reflectors. I think it takes a 1mm hex key to unscrew and all I have is a 1.5 and a .05", which is too small.
    Look at the last photo on FT product page, it has all the reflector dimensions: $40.73 SolarStorm X2 Cree XM-L U2 4-Mode 2000-Lumen LED Bicycle Bike Light - black / 4*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I think actually the screws on the front are something like 1.25-1.30mm hex. I've got a tool kit coming soon that I hope has the right size, but I was able to unscrew them with a flat bladed screw driver that was just the perfect width... just be careful not to strip out the heads.

mtbr member

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    Look at the last photo on FT product page, it has all the reflector dimensions: $40.73 SolarStorm X2 Cree XM-L U2 4-Mode 2000-Lumen LED Bicycle Bike Light - black / 4*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I think actually the screws on the front are something like 1.25-1.30mm hex. I've got a tool kit coming soon that I hope has the right size, but I was able to unscrew them with a flat bladed screw driver that was just the perfect width... just be careful not to strip out the heads.
    Thanks! Too bad I can't seem to find that size reflector anywhere.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Look at the LAST picture, on the FastTech page, in full size. The measurments are overlayed on the picture.

I suspect the finding a suitable OP replacement will be challenging. I've seen a suggestion over on CPF or BLF on a way to turn a SMO reflector, into a OP. With the reflector out of the lamp, give it a quick sprits with a clear acrylic spray.

I'm not sure if the heat build up in there would be enough to cause problems later on, but it certainly sounds like an interesting idea.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So I measured the draw from my SSX2 from lightmalls at 7.4 and 8.4 in low mid and high modes and results are here:
    7.4V:
    0.15A
    0.49A
    1.88A

8.4V:
    0.24A
    0.72A
    1.87A

I measured on both heads, so at least they are the same

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Since no-one made any beamshots I've decided to take a few photos of my Magicshine MJ-808 and X2. P7 LED in mj-808 was changed for XML-u3.
    I've expected higher difference between the lights.

Mj-808 low:

Mj-808 high:

x2 low:

x2 medium:

x2 high:

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the beamshots Snakes. There doesn't to be as much of a difference as I thought there would be. I'm surprised by this. Did you take the pictures with a constant time and exposure settings?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yes, fixed settings:
    ISO100, f3.2, 2", whitebalance daylight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think there is pretty much difference in the flood of 808 and X2 on high and there is less difference in throw. But X2 seems brighter and floodier.
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Thanks for the beamshots Snakes. There doesn't to be as much of a difference as I thought there would be. I'm surprised by this. Did you take the pictures with a constant time and exposure settings?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    I think there is pretty much difference in the flood of 808 and X2 on high and there is less difference in throw. But X2 seems brighter and floodier.
    Since I own both lamps I would have to agree...^^

I don't think the photo's do either lamp justice. No reference to distance so pretty much useless. The X2 would work very well either as a bar or helmet lamp but the 808E I have is better as a helmet lamp. Not that it ( 808E ) couldn't be used on the bars but most people would want something wider.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Here you can get version with OP reflector and battery indicator on top:
    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S022532

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The shot of SSX2 is a bit shifted to the left, but SSX2 seems flodier and brighter when I compare the intensity of the light pointing on same objects on the photo But I think it is as bright as my Skyray S6 (same draw, but S6 is 3 * T6 and X2 is 2 * U2). I also forgot to write the lightmalls X2 version is also slow flash

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    another new version

Quote Originally Posted by Snakes View Post

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I wonder why there are two indicators. Could the other tell you which mode you are in. That could be somewhat useful. They don't look very water resistant though.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    I wonder why there are two indicators. Could the other tell you which mode you are in. That could be somewhat useful. They don't look very water resistant though.
    Because it just looks better with 2 indicators
    LetterFire LF-22 2 x CREE XM-L T6 1000lm 3-Mode White Bicycle Headlight - Silver (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    Here is a white version on DX, read the description. These are simple green-red indicators, they won't tell you anything about the modes.
    Btw this version also has an interesting battery pack, it could be simular to D-50 one. I ordered this white version to try it myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hopefully reflector has the same dimensions and will be available aftermarket...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Perhaps, but is missing some screws on the reflector side of the light It'll be glued ...
    Hopefully reflector has the same dimensions and will be available aftermarket...

Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast