Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    +1

After 4 months of building adapters for the various Chinese lights to use the GoPro mount system, I have come to the conclusion that they build with whatever parts they have available at the time. The dimensions for cable size and type and the locations of where the mounting screw and cable enter the housing seem to be very freely changed. I have also repaired two dead MS lights that were the same model. Externally they were the same but they had different driver boards inside.
    Manufacturers just not build with "whatever part is available", they need yo ensure the quality of their product. To do that the minimum requirement is to standardize provider parts, otherwise the design team simply lost it time.

There is still exclusions, for example if the manufacturer upgrades the design, for example a version 2 of the board etc. But those changes are widely made public by the manufacturer.

Maybe that is the reason of your two different MJ lights, or most likely, one was a knock-off.

Remember the first principle of counterfeit is to make it as close as the original as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Seance765 View Post
    Manufacturers just not build with "whatever part is available", they need yo ensure the quality of their product. To do that the minimum requirement is to standardize provider parts, otherwise the design team simply lost it time.
    Um..Yeah...

"ensure the quality of the product" ROFL!!! Seriously? You know we're talking about cheap Chinese lights here?

I have made over 100 adapters now. The majority I have added the holes and cable grooves to, to suit the various Chinese lights. At first I tried to catalog the dimensions I was given so I could build based on someone giving me a manufacturer and model number. I pretty quickly found that there was no standardization in the lights that have the mount screw and cable on the bottom of the light. Sorry, I'm wrong, the mounting screw is always M4.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Um..Yeah...

"ensure the quality of the product" ROFL!!! Seriously? You know we're talking about cheap Chinese lights here?

I have made over 100 adapters now. The majority I have added the holes and cable grooves to, to suit the various Chinese lights. At first I tried to catalog the dimensions I was given so I could build based on someone giving me a manufacturer and model number. I pretty quickly found that there was no standardization in the lights that have the mount screw and cable on the bottom of the light. Sorry, I'm wrong, the mounting screw is always M4.
    When you check the official SolarStorm shop they don't seem so "chinese cheap"

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Manufacturers just not build with "whatever part is available", they need yo ensure the quality of their product. To do that the minimum requirement is to standardize provider parts,
    No. Manufacturers in noname world just try to make the stuffs as cheap in production as possible, to save every cent - as long as they're still able to sell that. Being in electronics business for many years, I see clear examples of that trend everywhere.

What's worse - many reputable (formerly) brands are moving in the same direction, although at least impressive speed...

mtbr member
    When you check the official SolarStorm shop they don't seem so "chinese cheap"

When it comes to the mass produced Chinese ( clone ) bike lights both "design" and "quality" are going to vary from moment to moment. That said it makes a big difference on "WHERE" you are buying the stuff from. If you buy from a vendor who happily is willing to replace the product if there is a problem than that is the way to go. In my opinion it is not always the product that it the big question mark but the vendor who sells you the lamp.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    In my opinion it is not always the product that it the big question mark but the vendor who sells you the lamp.
    Sure, both of them are important. BTW, in my example on previous page, the second light is actually a replacement sent by seller after short discussion with buyer because of non-functional battery status indicator on first one. And another example (the unpleasant one), when webshop refused to do anything with SS2 with thermal sink absent, also can be found in this tread...

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Learn on your own
    Last edited by WHEELIE4DAYS; 03-04-2014 at 11:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEELIE4DAYS View Post
    Hope this info helps someone!
    Helps a lot. It says from Hong Kong, do they actually ship from the US?

What about the battery? This seems to be a recurring problem with clones. How much run time do you get on high?

mtbr member
    ....Most of the other sellers on ebay who have answered my questions have really cheap versions of these light with the XM-L U2 20mm star base used as the heatsink! lol.
    The better version use the 16mm emitters thermally glued to aluminum disc heatsinks.
    Hope this info helps someone!
    Unlike you most of us aren't going to e-mail various ebay sellers trying to find a particular internal design. Come on, the guy you quoted claims the X2 he sells is 3200 lumen. Some people will tell you anything if they think it will get them a sell. The hell with the heat sink, if I buy one am I getting a 3200 lumen lamp? I think not. If you can't trust the ad you can't trust the seller.

Look, I'm not busting your chops. You can buy from the guy and maybe get something that works. Just don't let the guy tell you that the warm liquid going down your leg is just a day old lemon aid he accidentally spilled on you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    This is supposed to be a "community"....... you must be that grumpy old man who lives down the street.
    Stop whining. As the saying goes, "if you having nothing nice to say, just say nothing at all!"
    Last edited by WHEELIE4DAYS; 03-04-2014 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    He informed me that all of the x2 solarstorms he had with the threaded pills are gone and that his supplier "upgraded" the design on his new batch.
    The new light have the "floating" pills (held in place from the pressure of the bezel/reflector assembly), and the nice improvement is the circuit board.
    Floating pills are NOT an upgrade. Threaded or press fit pills have a much better thermal path than a pill held in place by pressure from the screw holding the front bits on. Maybe with some thermal paste it would be OK, but calling it an "upgrade" is a little rich.

If the new circuit board acts as described, that may well be an upgrade from the seller's previous version.

With 3 posts to your name, you may not have been around here much. Cat's reputation on MTBR is stellar. He doesn't savagely trash people's posts. His opinions and observations are usually right on the money. His understanding of build quality probably far exceeds yours.

He was just pointing out that Ebay sellers can be a little sketchy. We've seen many posts from people who buy two lights from the same seller. When disassembled, they have totally different guts. Your guy may be an exception, but many Ebay sellers don't stand behind their products.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Learn on your own
    This is supposed to be a "community"....... you must be that grumpy old man who lives down the street.
    Stop whining. As the saying goes, "if you having nothing nice to say, just say nothing at all!"
    Errrr yeah thanks I'll gladly "learn on my own" from the other members of this "community"

Way to make friends and create a first impression dude .

Carry on . Nothing to see here

Fat Biker

ballbuster
    Heh... I got one of the $17 Solarstorm X2 "5000 Lumens" (ironic quotes added by me) heads from fleabay next week. I figure I'll use it on my work bicycle if it isn't that great on the trail. You all got my curiosity up about this... to see which version I got.

I already have a decent battery and charger.

Yeah, for that price, I think it's hard to lose... as long as it works. Worst case, I bought a case to put my own parts in.

mtbr member
    Cat is trying to help you. If you want to believe the guy on Ebay be my guest, but Cat is very knowledgeable about lights.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Why are you telling me? I posted info on this site and then get jumped on by cat and his bf Ian_c! Wtf?
    Nice way to greet new users! Tell them your thoughts dude.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    No, I think they appreciate your effort and time. You did something none of us ever thought of. On the other hand the habit of ebayers selling cheap lights is likely as Cat described. They sell you perhaps a good one for the first time, but you never know what is going to happen after by next deal. Once I got an XM-L2 light from LM (not ebay seller) and the next light came with just an XM-L leds (it was described as XM-L so nothing you can complain about). Most users here are trying to point this out for you maybe not the most polite way. Buying a cheapo light is a lottery every time and doesn't depend on an ebay seller but the "factory" that produces these light for as cheap as they can.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Last edited by WHEELIE4DAYS; 03-21-2014 at 02:53 AM. Reason: done with this site

mtbr member
    Finally, someone who knows how to respond tactfully and with respect. Thank you.
    I did not want to ramble on and on in my first post so I left out several details. To clarify, I am very aware of how chinese sellers are, frankly I find them very nice people. There are communication problems but in the end the chinese sellers usually stand behind their products much better than American sellers. I hate to write that but it is true. I have been an active buyer and seller on ebay for over 10 years and I have lots of experience with sellers from the U.S. and from China.
    The chinese DO make some junk but if you know how to hunt and find, they have some excellent quality parts for great prices. It IS the "luck of the draw" if you just buy from them without any communication, verification or whatever, so to avoid that problem, I only buy from the Chinese sellers who respond to me clearly and answer all my questions. If they have what I am looking for in hand and send me detailed photos of that item AND agree to send me that exact item, then I do business with them.
    That was a pain at first but I have found a handful of very honest chinese seller to deal with because I always get exactly what I ask them for.
    I most recent bought another backup Solarstorm head with XM-L2 U2 leds, smooth alum. spot reflector, themal protect circuit board and threaded pills for $13 shipped so my time and effort do pay off. To buy that same quality and light output here in the U.S. would cost much much more.
    ** Now please....... no more "bashers". I am only stating MY OPINION here. I am not telling anyone that this is how it should be done, this is just what works for me. If you like what I wrote, that's great but if you do not like it, Please just keep moving through the thread. I have to deal with enough rude and hateful people here in Miami when I am out and about.
    Thanks
    Wheels....I want to apologize for perhaps responding a little stiffly to your first post. Based on what you wrote in that post ( and the fact that you had about three posts at the time ) I thought maybe it was someone trying to hawk goods for a particular ebay seller. ( MTBR has rules against that ) Since that post sounded a little "spammy" I thought ( at the time ) that I'd point out the dangers of buying from ebay. I thought I was being as diplomatic about it as I could seeing I generally don't take too well to spammers.

I see now that I was wrong. After reading your above post you don't seem to be in any way shape or form, "a spammer". A true spammer would not hold the opinions that you do.

To the folks who backed me, thank you for your kind words. Wheels, welcome to the forum. You sound like an opinionated person very much like myself. Expect the occasional challenge when someone disagrees with you. Be nice to people and they usually respond back in kind. Once again, sorry for any misunderstanding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Cat, I understand and thanks for clarifying your point of view.

mtbr member
    I most recent bought another backup Solarstorm head with XM-L2 U2 leds, smooth alum. spot reflector, themal protect circuit board and threaded pills for $13 shipped so my time and effort do pay off. To buy that same quality and light output here in the U.S. would cost much much more.
    Thanks
    Was this all through the William#### ebay seller?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Last edited by WHEELIE4DAYS; 03-21-2014 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Done

mtbr member
    I just got a solarstorm from ewbay for 18 bucks delivered. I did not realize how small these things are. Wow
    A really great size four a helmet light.. Have not used it yet but for 18$ i am impressed.

mtbr member
    XMCarbonSpeed CS-057 29er custom build
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/2293724

mtbr member
    By the way, there is some visualisation of beams in cold weather, breathing to the SolarStorm x3
    SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-2014-03-20-20.00.53-hdr.jpg

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-2014-03-20-20.01.26.jpg

And, beam spots (sorry for quality, photos made with mobile phone):
    Low
    SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-2014-03-20-20.01.36-hdr.jpg

Med
    SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-2014-03-20-20.01.44-hdr.jpg

High
    SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-2014-03-20-20.01.52-hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Quote Originally Posted by NazZaR View Post
    By the way, there is some visualisation of beams in cold weather, breathing to the SolarStorm x3
    Where did you purchase your X3?
    What LED's does it come with?

mtbr member
    Where did you purchase your X3?
    What LED's does it come with?
    Solarstorm x3 3 Modes 2500LUMEN 3XCREE U2 XM L LED Bicycle Bike Headlight Lamp | eBay

It is still a clone, but it works well and have not-so-bad PCB:
    SolarStorm/FandyFire X2 - Page 32

mtbr member
    Went to post office today and received a SSx2 head, that i didn't ordered or asked for a replacement O_o. Somebody made a mistake it seems . I'll take that, thank you, whoever you are

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Went to post office today and received a SSx2 head, that i didn't ordered or asked for a replacement O_o. Somebody made a mistake it seems . I'll take that, thank you, whoever you are
    That would be too much of a coincidence, what store the X2 from?

mtbr member
    That would be too much of a coincidence, what store the X2 from?

I bought flashlights only from these guys: laptopartsupplier on eBay

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

I bought flashlights only from these guys: laptopartsupplier on eBay
    Oh okay no biggie then, thing is I'm having my x2 replaced from lightnalls; they sent me the light with the wrong LEDs

mtbr member
    Hmm . . . Trustfire kinda got in on the X2 clone market but took it to the extreme! Whoa!

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-1661102-7.jpg

Link to Fastech for the above light.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Expensive, useless modes, heavy. Better to have 2 x 7XML(36W version) or some other dual setup - maybe 3-clone.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Heh... I got one of the $17 Solarstorm X2 "5000 Lumens" (ironic quotes added by me) heads from fleabay next week. I figure I'll use it on my work bicycle if it isn't that great on the trail. You all got my curiosity up about this... to see which version I got.

I already have a decent battery and charger.

Yeah, for that price, I think it's hard to lose... as long as it works. Worst case, I bought a case to put my own parts in.
    So, I got the light and took it apart. It has slugs in there behind the emitters that don't seem to be attached to anything solid. No thermal epoxy, no thermal paste... just loose slugs.

Cheesy build, but so far no real world effects because of it. It did not overheat and dim the light.

However, it shines very nicely! It's a good chunk brighter than my NR Dual700. I took it for a ride and it lit up the trail nicely. The beam was wide enough to be useful, while still having good throw. I gotta say, for $17 landed (sans battery and charger) I'm impressed.

My only major design gripes about it are the bright battery indicator lights on the back, and the low-med-hi-off switching.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 04-01-2014 at 03:45 AM.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    Hmm . . . Trustfire kinda got in on the X2 clone market but took it to the extreme! Whoa!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1661102-7.jpg 
Views:	10206 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	879702

-Garry
    wholly teety flocking jeebus!! If it's worth doing, it's worth over-doing! Amiright?!?

mtbr member
    with the current china batteries, that thing should have a 7 minute run time...

-Garry

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingerdawg View Post
    But at least you'll have the satisfaction of rolling up to someone on trail and watching them freak out and curl up in to the fetal position.

Don't forget your glasses:

"Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    What is diameter of battery plug 5,5x2,5 or 5,5x2,1, will pannovo fit PANNOVO B-C04 Water Resistant 4 x 18650 Battery Pack Case for Bike Lamp - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme do i have to use protected cells for solarstorm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Attachment 782741

$46.54 Fasttech

OR

$65 Fancyflashlights

I like what it says about the modes, that is, the order of the modes and the hidden strobe. Unfortunately it doesn't give the strength of each mode or say if both LEDs are used all the time like I hope they are.

2000 chinese lumens. With a current draw of 2.3A, it should put out nearly 1000 emitter lumens.

A 1A charger is better than what most cheap lights come with.

If the throw is decent, the low profile should make this a decent helmet lamp.

It comes with the typical 4x18650 battery pack of unknown quality.

I'll keep an eye on this. I've been using a heavy flashlight on my helmet, and although the throw is phenomenal, it strains my neck too much on long rides.
    That looks a lot like this one I found on Amazon that I was considering:
    Amazon.com: SecurityIng® 4 Modes Waterproof 2800 Lumens Cree XM-L U2 LED Bicycle Light & 6400mAh Battery Pack & Charger, Cree LED Bike Lmap Light Super Bright Lighting Lamp for Outdoor Sports Like Cmaping, Hiking, etc..: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

-Garry

I see your puny 7x cree light and raise you . . . . .

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-9xcree.jpg

Linky link link link to this "awesome" light

Enough already !!!

Please make them stoooooooop !!!!!!

Fat Biker

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Let's wait for the 32-LED model.

But that 9-LED one is interesting: the current seems to be adequate, and 12-cell battery (even "no name") might provide some real runtime. OTOH, tradidional rubber O-ring mount looks quite funny for such a monster.

I'm interested in quality of internals and thermal management, but definitely not going to buy whole package, preferring head-only option...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It is a little pricey, much more than the purple and grey 36W 7-LED. But that 12 cell pack looks very funny and LARGE Hope the cells aren't 1000mAh ones. Still having only XM-L though

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    It is a little pricey, much more than the purple and grey 36W 7-LED. But that 12 cell pack looks very funny and LARGE Hope the cells aren't 1000mAh ones. Still having only XM-L though

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news an all but 1100mAh / cell seems like all you're gonna get !

"1 x 12-18650 battery pack (13200mAh, 8.4V, 2 PCS in series and 6 PCS in parallel, included)"

Fat Biker

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Abovementioned data means that 2200 mAh cells are used in that battery. Not bad, if the capacity is more or less correct...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes, IF the capacity is CORRECT as usual. The price is whispering it should be. OTOH a head only for about ~$40 and two 5-8000mAh li-pos would perform better

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    Abovementioned data means that 2200 mAh cells are used in that battery. Not bad, if the capacity is more or less correct...
    Sorry my bad . I didn't have my boots off

Fat Biker

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluter View Post
    What is diameter of battery plug 5,5x2,5 or 5,5x2,1, will pannovo fit PANNOVO B-C04 Water Resistant 4 x 18650 Battery Pack Case for Bike Lamp - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme do i have to use protected cells for solarstorm?
    I have this case, it works perfectly

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingerdawg View Post
    Obviously designed by people who do not have a clue about cycling at night, I can not imagine any cyclist wanted to have this on their bar, as someone else said, knowing the Chinese battery quality , that will not run for very long! Less is often more, a light weight single or twin XM-L U2 with a good wide beam with good long battery time is all we really need, and if you want more light, couple two together, as long as you have a good battery pack no problemo!!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Late to the party, but I just bought the Solar Storm x2 (with battery + charger) for $36 shipped from an ebay seller located in Texas. Ironically the seller name is "best mobile from china". Was I surprised? Uh, no. And I have no affiliation with the seller.

My last light was a NiteRider Classic dual beam with a heavy water bottle battery. Anything (!) would have been an improvement. This SolarStorm has been more than adequate for singletrack and awesome for commuting.

For the budget I'm on, it was either this, or try my luck with another 15 year-old heavy and used light system. I made the right decision.
    SE Racing Stout 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I thought you may be interested to know that my 5 months old X2 Solarstorm charger as given up probably after about a dozen recharge! I do love them and for anyone on a budget are a good buy, but the quality is up and down, you may get a good set but you may get a " cr-p" one.
    I also did a small review on my 2 set I had plus alternative battery see: solarstorm-x2-5000-lumens-e-bay-purchase-mini-review
    SOLARSTORM X2 5000 Lumens - e-bay purchase - mini review

And please don't be fooled by the lumens figures that e-bay sellers are giving, if you get a good set with the XM-L U2, you will get approx 1600 lumens about 800 per led , this is a long way away form the 5000 or 3000 lumens advertised, but this is a lot of light for your money!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hello, I've seen that a lot of you have the X2s mounted with a Hope QR Universal Handlebar Mount, and I really like how it looks and the QR lever.
    Can anyone recommend a similar mount that has a QR lever and that is compatible with the SolarStorm? Or a place where I can get the Hope mount cheaper, currently it will cost me 18 or so euros to get the Hope shipped to Macedonia which is a bit steep. All the other mounts I come across on the usual chinese websites are made to accommodate circular flashlights as far as I can tell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyraider59 View Post
    I thought you may be interested to know that my 5 months old X2 Solarstorm charger has given up probably after about a dozen recharge! I do love them and for anyone on a budget are a good buy, but the quality is up and down, you may get a good set but you may get a " cr-p" one....
    When buying lamps and chargers like this it is a good idea to have back-ups ( particularly with the charger ). They are cheap enough so price is generally not an issue. Best to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. A spare charger is about $10. Of course if you already own two lamps you already have two chargers. As long as the battery voltages are the same you are good to go.

mtbr member

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Quote Originally Posted by Gluter View Post
    Sorry about the OT question guys, but would this battery pack work on a Yinding?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Yes, it will work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearhunter View Post
    Sorry about the OT question guys, but would this battery pack work on a Yinding?
    x2....yes it will work. Just keep in mind you need to supply the batteries.

mtbr member

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Perfect thanks guys.

mtbr member
    And the cheapest choice name brand protected batteries to use with it are these protected Samsungs from Banggood:4PCS 18650 3.7V 2600mah Lithium Rechargeable Battery For Samsung - US$18.65 I bought 2 sets of 4 batteries and they are genuine Samsungs (also verified by BLF members). Thats's a great deal!

They also shipped out within 24hrs and I had them in about 2 weeks. Keep in mind the lithium ion international shipping issues. These shipped Malaysia Post which has horrible tracking (tracking fine once it hit US) and is usually known to be slow. Guess I got lucky. Banggood has also had a decent reputation over at BLF lately.

-Garry

mtbr member

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Thanks for the great info. Do you think these batteries are too much for the light?

I have four Redilast 3100mAh 3.7v Li-ion batteries that I have for a seperate handheld light. I was hoping to get the battery pack above and use these batteries.

mtbr member
    What do you mean by "too much for this light"? And which batteries, the Samsungs linked?

The redilast batteries are good batteries and could be used, but keep in mind it's best to dedicate 4 good matched cells as a "set" for use like this. You want them to discharge evenly.

-Garry

mtbr member

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Sorry I meant my four Redilasts. I wasn't sure if the 3100mAh vs 2600mAh made a difference.

The four Redilasts were purchased at the same time and always used together (4) in the same light. Is that what you mean by matched cells?

Thanks again for the knowledge.

mtbr member
    Ah, ok. One thing to keep in mind is that you won't get 3100 mAh out of those Pannys (redilast branded). Those 3100's will also drop in voltage faster than some other cells (i.e. the well regarded Sanyo 2600's) thereby giving reduced output compared to those other cells. I'd have to look at the Samsung 2600's again myself to make a call. Actually though now that I think about it, 4 cells in a bike battery pack will act differently (voltage load won't be as bad as a single cell flashlight) so the 3100s may be a better choice.

HKJ is a very well respected member on both BLF & CPF and does extensive battery testing. His 18650 battery comparator is a great tool to compare batteries (Battery test-review 18650 comparator) . For instance choose Redilast 3100 on one side and Sanyo 2600 red (not the "bv" one) and select "3A". You'll see how the Sanyo holds voltage much higher much longer and will see difference in runtime (about 2800mAh on the Redilast at a 3A load).

Yes, always using the cells together in the same light counts as keeping them matched.

-Garry

mtbr member

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Garry,

Thanks again for the great info! Much appreciated.

mtbr member

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

I went ahead and bought the Sanyo's as well. That deal is just too good to pass up! I didn't realize that price was for four! Thanks for the link.

mtbr member
    Finished my post above. Yeah, that deal is pretty crazy to pass up!
    -Garry

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What charger would I use to charge the sanyo batteries? Would the case from DX referred to in past posts be the best case? Thanks for any replies

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    for example Nitecore i4 charges them properly

mtbr member

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

for example Nitecore i4 charges them properly
    That's exactly what I have, works great on my Redilasts.

mtbr member
    The Nitecore i4, while a nice charger, is SLOW charging 4 batteries (375mA rate). The one on my list as well reviewed for 4 cells is the new Efest LUC V4 which I would buy from BLF member RMM in the US here: Efest LUC V4 - 4 Bay Charger - Up to 2A Charge - Includes Car Charger . 0.5A or 1A to 4 cells with the ability to do 2A to 2 cells (ie 26650's) and LCD display.

Edit - he also sells the i4 at a nice price too.
    -Garry

mtbr member

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

^^^ Another great deal.

Garry you are going to get me into trouble with the wife.

mtbr member
    Sorry, I've been known to do that! I just provide the info and opinions. What you do with it is up to you!

-Garry

mtbr member

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Lol

I like turtles
    Just got a Solar Storm X2..buddy bought it for me for working on his bike..got it off Wallbuys. Apparently took 1 week to get here from China..SICK! Initial impression..wow...small. Smaller than I thought and about as small as the Yinding I recently got. Seems to be very bright and function fine. A really like the screw-on connector for the cables. For the light itself, the light is VERY white compared to the Yinding..the Yinding is almost natural if that makes sense. The Yinding is a XML2 3b and the Solar Storm is a XML U2....v. different light colors. Will try out the weekend on my helmet (with the Yinding on the bar) and see how it goes!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro are #@$%

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Just got a Solar Storm X2..buddy bought it for me for working on his bike..got it off Wallbuys. Apparently took 1 week to get here from China..SICK! Initial impression..wow...small. Smaller than I thought and about as small as the Yinding I recently got. Seems to be very bright and function fine. A really like the screw-on connector for the cables. For the light itself, the light is VERY white compared to the Yinding..the Yinding is almost natural if that makes sense. The Yinding is a XML2 3b and the Solar Storm is a XML U2....v. different light colors. Will try out the weekend on my helmet (with the Yinding on the bar) and see how it goes!
    I think you'll find the combo will work very good together. The Yinding with it's more neutral color will cause less "close in" glare coming off the bars and the X2 with it's reflector mounted XM-L U2's provides a very good "expanded" spot coming off the helmet. I like the SS X2 helmet mounted. When I want a wider spot pattern coming off the helmet for twisty trails this is the lamp I use.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I wish more companies would come out with the "natural tint". For mountain biking it makes sense. Much better visibility and color definition when in the woods or outdoor environment. I find when I use both the "bright white" and the Natural tint lights, they mess up my vision as they don't complement each other very well..Try just the Yinding by itself then try the SolarStorm and I think you will see that for MTB, the natural tint is the way to go.
    Now if only the mfg will use this tint! ( Gloworm/Gemini are you listening!)
    I think you'll find the combo will work very good together. The Yinding with it's more neutral color will cause less "close in" glare coming off the bars and the X2 with it's reflector mounted XM-L U2's provides a very good "expanded" spot coming off the helmet. I like the SS X2 helmet mounted. When I want a wider spot pattern coming off the helmet for twisty trails this is the lamp I use.

mtbr member
    I've been testing out my SolarStorm X3 lately while getting ready to post up a review (with tear down pics). It's really impressive with tons of wide flood, but I'm wondering if the SS X2 would be a better choice due to giving sufficient flood all the while consuming less battery power (I assume). The problem seems to be that you never really know if you're getting a good X2 or not when you order.

I'll try to get my review of my X3 up soon.

Edit- I did order some neutral white emitters to swap into it (natural tint). I'll try to get some comparison beamshots, though my beamshot setting is not on a trail or in the woods.

-Garry

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Which handlebar mounts are you guys using with the SSX2? I know of the Hope mount that many seem to be using, but it's kinda expensive, I'm looking for alternatives. Cheers.

I like turtles
    The rubber band mounts work just fine for these tiny lights.

I like turtles
    This is definitely not as bright as my Yinding.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by destineker View Post
    Which handlebar mounts are you guys using with the SSX2? I know of the Hope mount that many seem to be using, but it's kinda expensive, I'm looking for alternatives. Cheers.
    I've got adapters to allow use of the GoPro mounts with these lights. PM for info and this thread has lots.

MagicShine GoPro Replacment Mount

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    This may be due to SS X2 reflector and Yinding TIR optics. Both should take ~16W from the battery I think at least if you got some underpowered driver on one.

This is definitely not as bright as my Yinding.

mtbr member
    It's really impressive with tons of wide flood, but I'm wondering if the SS X2 would be a better choice due to giving sufficient flood all the while consuming less battery power (I assume).
    The X2 is pretty spotty light. There are some threads with side by side photos, though hard to find because each one of those threads is huge.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It should be in the 2013 budget light shootout thread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    The X2 is pretty spotty light. There are some threads with side by side photos, though hard to find because each one of those threads is huge.
    True but the X2's are not as spotty as the single emitter lamps with their larger reflectors. With the X2's two smaller reflectors the beam pattern expands the farther you aim it. This helps eliminate the huge close in reflective effect you get when using the more intense beam pattern of the larger reflector lamps. When I use the X2 I usually have it in medium mode ( mounted on the helmet ). No matter where I aim the lamp ( within a 20 to 75 ft. range ) I can usually see very well. When coupled with my bar lamp I have all I need and never feel as though I'm trying to center too tight of a spot pattern ( which can be quite annoying when using something too spotty while riding twisty slow-moving single track with shorter lines of sight ).

I like turtles
    How do I know if I got a good or bad SSX2? I got mine from Wallbuys. Pulled apart. Looked like a tight fit between board that LEDs are on and outer case. Came in a generic brown box.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    True but the X2's are not as spotty as the single emitter lamps with their larger reflectors.
    Some of those spotty single emitter lamps can easily become flood with wide angle len addon, haven't seen that with the X2.

I like turtles
    Runtime test underway. At 2 hours on high and still showing 3 green LEDs. The case doesn't get nearly as hot as the Yinding.

Edit. Tigeo is a dumb@ss....had it on low..ahhahaahhaahah. Will re-run tomorrow on high. Goodnight.

mtbr member
    Just a side note on the X2 beam pattern. I took mine out over the weekend and used it on the helmet. First thing I notice is the wider beam and loss of intensity once you aim it for distance. Unlike the single emitter lamps the duel mini reflectors basically form a large intermediate flood pattern once you aim it beyond 40 feet. Right now there is a lot of pollen in the air so the beam pattern is even more dispersed. Riding on wet trails doesn't help either. Once I hit the road ( which was dry ) the lamp seemed much brighter.

I like turtles
    Question for anyone here that may know....

I was doing a run-time test to see how long it would last with the battery it came with. All 3 LEDs on the back stayed green for over 2 hours. I had to shut it off to go out (and unplugged the light from the battery) and I noted that when I got back and plugged it back in, only 1 light was lit. This one doesn't change the lights as the battery looses charge? Anyone?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Got mine hooked up to bench power supply. Indicator LEDs start shuting off as I bring down the voltage and one goes blinky at around 5.4V, then when ramping up the voltage it goes back to normal 1-2-3 LEDs on.

There is some hysteresis in up-down behavior. From 3 to 2 LEDs it goes at around 7V but goes back to 3 at about 7.6V
    Last edited by Rendisha; 06-01-2014 at 10:26 PM. Reason: forgot to add

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Question for anyone here that may know....

I was doing a run-time test to see how long it would last with the battery it came with. All 3 LEDs on the back stayed green for over 2 hours. I had to shut it off to go out (and unplugged the light from the battery) and I noted that when I got back and plugged it back in, only 1 light was lit. This one doesn't change the lights as the battery looses charge? Anyone?
    This is cheapo light, right? So they are the batteries and the driver.
    Can you repeat the process with same and another battery pack? If you are getting the same results, I would say there is something wrong with the driver. Maybe some wrong cheapy resistor or similar. They are with 5% tolerance at best.
    I would also suggest to monitor the voltage during testing process, but not disconnecting it each time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Now the SS X2 - not sure which solarstormified version - costs ~$12 for the head-only at LM site and ~$23 for the full set with "some" battery

I like turtles
    Will try with one of Geoman batteries.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Mine head-only SS X2 from LM came recently - it's some of the MKIII versions I guess but at least it had both pills. Driver is of crappier kind but it works. Had no luck with batterified version though - wasn't shipped at all (through Swiss Post), so got this one as replacement.

I like turtles
    How do I know what version I have?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    How do I know what version I have?

You'll never know tath exactly. Original seems to carry a black driver board, clones are of different color. LED MCPCB is on a thick pill press-fitted in the small body, clones may have issues with missing pills, loosen pills, ...

mtbr member
    LED MCPCB is on a thick pill press-fitted in the small body, clones may have issues with missing pills, loosen pills, ...
    These "thick press-fitted pills", do they look like these?:

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-p1020028.jpgSolarStorm/FandyFire X2-p1020041.jpg

Those pics are of my SolarStorm X3.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Seems that you took them out without problems, so those are not press fitted but they do look thick.

mtbr member
    Mine came out rather easy (practically fall out). I added thermal compound where the pills seat on the body. I may do more work on it but am waiting until after I swap out the LED's to nicer neutral white ones. I'm expecting to eventually post a review / tear down thread - just taking my good ol' time to get it done. I've not seen any pics of the "good" X2's to know what the "good press-fit pills" look like. Are there pics posted somewhere?

-Garry

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    This epic SS thread probably has the answer, but I'm not sure if any X2's really had "true" press-fit ones.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Just saw MK96 pics of his Lightmall's X2 from year ago and, of course, my driver is different. Doesn't have a daughterboard like most of the rest. Anyway, I'm thinking about tossing it away and using two Nanjg 105C's to drive LEDs independently.

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-solarstorm-x2-driver.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    A couple of months ago there was a post showing pictures from an ebay vendor that claimed to know the difference between the real and fake solarstorms. The crazy thing was that they used pictures from this thread taken by myself and mk96 (?). According to this ebay guy my version was the real one and mk96 got the fake. I don't know were that post is and I don't have the energy to look for it right now. Our pictures were probably in the first 10-15 pages of this thread.

My pill weren't really press fit, but at least I had them. I put in thermal grease to improve the heat transfer stuff. I used the silver thermal compound that I bought at best buy in the computer section, it's meant for application on a computer cpu before attaching the cpu cooling fan/heat sink.

My light gets hot as hell when I come to a stop. I'm sure if I didn't use the thermal grease my light would have fried itself by now.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 21