Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by z1ppy View Post
    ...Anyone got any runtimes for a 4400 battery pack? As I am considering buying a high capacity battery pack, if you can't get 2 hrs on full from the 'std' one
    I was using my Xeccon 4400 pack last night while using the SS X2. I basically did a two hour ride but wasn't using the high mode too much because I wasn't sure if the battery was fully charged. Anyway when I got back to the car only one of the battery indicators had gone out ( out of three )

I'm preparing a test for the supplied Manafont battery as I write. If you only got 40 minutes that is not promising. It should of at least gotten somewhere around 1.25 hr on high, even with a crap battery. I'm a little worried because yesterday I charged the battery and just now I plugged it back in and the indicator shows that it's charging again. Not a good sign. ...okay...it stopped charging ( just a couple minutes ). I suppose it must of self-balanced last night and needed a small top off charge.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    The DX pack is reviewed here - not a smart choice if you don't like DIY
    What's wrong with that pack? And BTW, it's not "DX", but real MJ-828 battery of good quality...

mtbr member
    Update from my last post: @ z1ppy, mine ran 57 minutes before the first indicator went out. That's a good sign. Judging from that I should get close to 2hrs but we'll see. Time to get ready for work.

*edit...Shut off at 1hr and 35 minutes. After that first light went out it dropped out real quick. Not much spacing with the indicators.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    Now is the famous battery pack for 13$ at lightmalls
    I just put 4 brand new balanced batteries in the "famous" battery pack.. (got mine from Ali, maybe that is the issue) and nothing… doesn't power any of my lights. What a waste.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Knowing the quality we've come to expect from these lights, its likely you've got a bad connection or maybe a broken wire after taking it apart. I would start by putting the original batteries back in and see if it works. A multi-meter is going to be your friend in tracking down the problem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Update from my last post: @ z1ppy, mine ran 57 minutes before the first indicator went out. That's a good sign. Judging from that I should get close to 2hrs but we'll see. Time to get ready for work.

*edit...Shut off at 1hr and 35 minutes. After that first light went out it dropped out real quick. Not much spacing with the indicators.
    That's not a bad time at all considering many of these batteries are putting out less than an hour on High. Should be good enough for a 2 hr ride assuming you use the Low setting appropriately on climbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherhockey View Post
    I just put 4 brand new balanced batteries in the "famous" battery pack.. (got mine from Ali, maybe that is the issue) and nothing… doesn't power any of my lights. What a waste.
    Was it working before? Have you connected it to the charger briefly, after cells replacement?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Cat-man-do, cheers for the comparison, looks like I got a dud one, I used my old MS battery and got about 1.5hr and I know this battery is tired. Gunna fire an email off to Manafont and see what they say.

-Archie-
    What's wrong with that pack? And BTW, it's not "DX", but real MJ-828 battery of good quality...
    MK96 wasn't slagging off the battery pack, just linking a "disassembly thread" & the fact that it was more complicated internally than it first looks, after I had said I might try taking mine to pieces. BTW Cheers for the link MK96.

Anyone got a similar link (pictures of it taken apart) to the "famous" battery pack? How difficult is it? Gopherhockey's obviously had issues...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by xaxadj View Post
    Has anyone seen this?
    SolarStorm X3 3 x Cree XM-L T6 2000lm 4-Mode White Bike Light - Deep Pink (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I don't know how the third led in the middle will perform in comparison with the other two because the reflector seems to be a little wider. I'm thinking about buying the SSX2 but I need a light for trailriding and I'm reading all about throw that this light has, although I prefer more floody beam like the P7 I have right now...
    I've Just ordered one of these Solarstorm X3 with XM-L U2 LEDs yesterday.
    It comes with a 8,4V 6400mAh battery pack.

It will probably arrive in about 2-4 weeks i guess.
    If everything is in order, i will be glad to post some photos of the beam, finish, output, etc..
    Unfortunately i don't have the right equipment to measure voltage, lumen output, amps and so on, to make a serious test of the bike light.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by z1ppy View Post
    MK96 wasn't slagging off the battery pack, just linking a "disassembly thread" & the fact that it was more complicated internally than it first looks,
    Maybe I've misunderstood him, but for me "not a smart choice if you don't like DIY" sounds like a claim that mentioned battery require a lot of DIYing, while in fact it's well made & ready to use device, without any need to be modified or improved prior to the riding - hence my comment...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post
    That's not a bad time at all considering many of these batteries are putting out less than an hour on High. Should be good enough for a 2 hr ride assuming you use the Low setting appropriately on climbs.
    Oh I have no doubt I could get a 2.5 hour ride in using this battery but that's only because I would be using the lower modes 90% of the time. Nevertheless I still consider this to be a crap battery.

One of the things I noticed while using the Manafont battery is that the output dropped immediately after changing from the Xeccon battery to the Manafont battery.
    Just before the Manafont battery pooped I also noticed that the light output had dropped about 100 lux from what it was at the start. Most of that was likely from the emitters over-heating but I suspect that some of that was because the battery couldn't supply enough amps to power the lamp fully on high.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindgren View Post
    I've Just ordered one of these Solarstorm X3 with XM-L U2 LEDs yesterday.
    It comes with a 8,4V 6400mAh battery pack.

It will probably arrive in about 2-4 weeks i guess.
    If everything is in order, i will be glad to post some photos of the beam, finish, output, etc..
    Unfortunately i don't have the right equipment to measure voltage, lumen output, amps and so on, to make a serious test of the bike light.
    Lindgren, where did you order your triple ( SS ) lamp from? I don't see the U2 model offered with a 6400mAh battery. No Chinese made lamp is going to come with a 6400mAh 4-cell battery, 6-cell maybe but I don't see one offered with a 6-cell either. I only ask because I'm hoping you didn't misread/misinterpret the D/X link that Xaxadj posted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hi guys. Just thought I'd add my experiences of this light.

I bought one of these lights from Ebay UK seller laptopartsupplier for £25.99.

My battery lasts 1hr 15mins on full, and the first indicator goes out at around the hour mark.

I've had no issues with the light so far, I'm happy with it, just would like a better battery in time.

Rich.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Lindgren, where did you order your triple ( SS ) lamp from? I don't see the U2 model offered with a 6400mAh battery. No Chinese made lamp is going to come with a 6400mAh 4-cell battery, 6-cell maybe but I don't see one offered with a 6-cell either. I only ask because I'm hoping you didn't misread/misinterpret the D/X link that Xaxadj posted.
    I've "won" an auction on ebay. US $40,- incl. shipment.
    I don't mind about the battery, if theres a problem with it.
    If i don't receive the right stuff or even the whole package, then i'm covered by ebay buyer protection, because i used paypal - so i'm save.

It was the exact same pictures and description as this one, but as an auction instead of "buy now":
    3X CREE XM L U2 LED 6000LM Head Front Bicycle Lamp Bike Light Headlight Headlamp | eBay

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ok, let's be correct - it is a MS pack from DX. If you want to use the pack alone after some time when the cells would be weak, it is difficult to replace them. That was my original idea

Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ok, now it's clear. But it's worth to mention, that this battery was never designed to be a container for user-replaceable cells, just like almost any other bike light battery of similar flavour....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes, but the MJ880 clone's aluminium cell case is easier way to go, no welding, just put and go But the MS case has nice indicator

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Voltmeter is funny thing indeed, but I personally think it would be better to implement charge-balansing circuit instead...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes you are right But this SS X2 has pretty good indication you can clearly see.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    You mean indication on light head itself? I dislike it. Way too bright, and IMHO traditional multicolor method is more convenient than counting of currently-illuminated LEDs that are all green...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes way too bright, but some dark transparent plastic shall do it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    You mean indication on light head itself? I dislike it. Way too bright, and IMHO traditional multicolor method is more convenient than counting of currently-illuminated LEDs that are all green...
    Yes, this is true. Still I'd rather have the indicators than not have them, even if they are too bright. I simply cover mine with bit of electrical tape. I line the tape up so only a little light peeks out. If I have any questions I can always stop and remove the tape.

Considering the cheap battery that comes with the lamp, when you see the first LED indicator go out you should immediately power down to a lower mode. The lower the better. If you do this you should be able to milk another 10-20 minutes of run time. If you wait till the final "blinking" led warning you only have a minute before the light goes out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Guys, I bought the replacement battery from Fasttech, SKU: 1347107, but it came with 5.5/2.5 mm connector. It does not fit my lamp, charger, anything, cause the inside pin is to thick. Could you confirm that the standard for all your gear (lamps, chargers, batteries) is 5.5/2.1 mm?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by calzone View Post
    Could you confirm that the standard for all your gear (lamps, chargers, batteries) is 5.5/2.1 mm?
    Your question is addressed to the SS-X2 / FF-X2 owners only, or to all the people here?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    They do fit, but MagicShine doesn't use the screw lock design that SolarStorm is using so the connectors will not lock together in quite the same way. Depending on the particular MagicShine connector you may be able to push them together such that the o-ring holds them pretty tight.
    Thanks for posting the pictures of the connectors! I wish these guys would all use the exact same connector, but at least they are compatible.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by calzone View Post
    Guys, I bought the replacement battery from Fasttech, SKU: 1347107, but it came with 5.5/2.5 mm connector. It does not fit my lamp, charger, anything, cause the inside pin is to thick. Could you confirm that the standard for all your gear (lamps, chargers, batteries) is 5.5/2.1 mm?
    Most of the chinese bike lights (about 90% of them) use 5.5x2.1mm connector, including all versions of SSX2.
    $0.89 5.5*2.5mm DC Male to 5.5*2.1mm DC Female Power Adapter Cable (10.5cm) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping you can buy this adapter to connect your battery
    $1.16 Power Cable for CCTV Security System Camera (Pair) 2-pack - 5.5*2.1mm / female at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping or this cable to replace the connector

Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast