Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Interesting that it draws less at 7.4V than at 8.4V. Then it could work with 3S setup = 3 x 3.7V li-ion and would be much brighter than at 2S setup = 2 x 3.7V.

Quote Originally Posted by calzone View Post
    For 7.4V it draws 1.35A. Now this is highly subjective, but mid mode is like 50% and min mode something like 15-20% (there is some useful amount of light).

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Anyway, mine was purchased from Manafont. I think it took about 10-12 days to get to me. Not bad. Usually takes 16 days. No time for more details I have to get to work. Hopefully I'll get a chance tonight to shine it around outside if I can fine a nice dark spot. I have a feeling that it is really going to have a nice usable beam pattern.
    You should open up the backside and check led's pills - I just received manafront version too and pills are not fixed to the case unlike in other SSX2 versions that I have. If they're loose too - open it from the front and add some thermal paste between pills and the case.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    Now is the famous battery pack for 13$ at lightmalls
    $17.31 with shipping, not worth it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Got my ss x2 today. So much smaller than I was expecting..the output is amazing...it does get hot quick stationary though. Black battery pack. Happy as. Can't wait to test it at night.

It's brighter than the $200 job a bloke was trying to sell me at the lbs .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leighaus View Post
    Got my ss x2 today. So much smaller than I was expecting..the output is amazing...it does get hot quick stationary though. Black battery pack. Happy as. Can't wait to test it at night.

It's brighter than the $200 job a bloke was trying to sell me at the lbs .
    Yep, I'm very pleased with mine. Last night I took it out and on a very dark section of road I stopped and was shining it around. Very, very impressive. It's so bright on high that it might actually be brighter than my Glowworm X2 but since this is my first initial impression of the lamp I'll reserve the final judgement till I can take both out at the same time and do some comparisons.

I will say one thing, it has lots of throw for a small two emitter lamp. It's also very light-weight and might make an interesting helmet lamp. If I get a chance I need to take it out onto something like a football field so I can get a better idea of the distance throw.

What I found most pleasing about the lamp was the variance in output for each of the modes. The low is very, very useable. Mid mode is about perfect and yes, there is significant difference between mid and high.

Mine does/did have a minor problem though. When in the off mode a couple time mine did some random emitter flashing. Only did it a couple times and has been fine since. I'm not too worried about it. I have a Gloworm X2 that did the same thing when I first got it over a year ago and have not had a problem with it since.

When I got home tonight I wanted to take a ride to see what it looked like on the bike but I was just too tired. Only got about 4hrs sleep the other night.

I think someone else mentioned that the strobe mode on these were slower than most of the other cheap lamps. I can concur with that. I actually wish it was a little slower but it is usable as is. At least it's not one of those hyper-strobes that you see on most of the cheap Chinese made lamps. These you can actually use but since it's so bright I don't think I would use it except in the day time and then only for short duration.

Quote Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    You should open up the backside and check led's pills - I just received manafront version too and pills are not fixed to the case unlike in other SSX2 versions that I have. If they're loose too - open it from the front and add some thermal paste between pills and the case.
    Eventually I'll tinker with it but since the thermal transfer seems to be fairly quick I'll not mess with it right away. After some initial tests I'll likely take a look at the insides to see whats up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My strobe is probably a bit too fast and honestly at that brightness it's just dazzling. I'll use my cheap single led light for any streets whilst commuting.

I just took it out in the dark. It lit up most of the large gumtree like it was in direct sunlight. The spread is actually quite nice. I honestly can't see this light lasting an hour on high though and the heat generated will need constant airflow to prevent damage. Time will tell.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Eventually I'll tinker with it but since the thermal transfer seems to be fairly quick I'll not mess with it right away. After some initial tests I'll likely take a look at the insides to see whats up.
    I have a FastTech SSx2 arriving soon and I want to make sure everything is in good working order as far as pill seating, thermal transfer, etc. If someone can post the step by step process on how to do this and perhaps other things to "improve" the x2's I'd be very grateful!

mtbr member
    Is there a place one can order lights from that won't take months to ship? I placed an Ali order a while back (a month as of tomorrow), they are still in China. I placed a Fasttech order that seems to be stuck in Hong Kong. Its night riding season and here I thought I was planning aheadů.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Here in Europe, orders from Chinese web shops are typically delivered within 2 to 4 weeks, except for Christmas/New Year time, but some of them have overseas warehouses, too - then you can obtain goods significantly faster.

For example, DeaExtreme had stores on USA, United Kingdom and Australia:
    US & UK Warehouse Built- 3 Day Shipping Now Possible ? DealExtreme Forum
    Overseas Warehouses in the UK and US Completed | DealExtreme Blog

Currently I can't locate information about two of them anymore, either because of abandoned service or web site rearrangement (due to move to new DX name), while Australian store seems to be still functional:
    Why AU Direct?

Check if you'll find similar service on other shops. Also, many of them offer faster delivery by courier company instead of plain post, but it adds some numbers to your invoice...

mtbr member

Road shootout: Solarstorm X2 vs. Gloworm X2

Took my first ride with the SS X2 tonight. Since my road bike was already prepped I took it out for a quickie 8 miler. Not sure this is a fair comparison because my GW was set on the lowest output menu setting ( Adventure menu ) but should still be good enough to do some beam pattern comparisons.

The first thing that was most notable is the difference in beam pattern. Switching back and forth between the lamps it was clear that the Solarstorm X2 had a more narrow/forward throwing beam pattern. This translated into a brighter center area which is really quite useful. This was most noticeable on the lowest setting. On the low setting the SS easily beat out the GW but like I mentioned before the GW has a brighter available low setting on the other menus ( which I didn't use ).

When comparing the mid and high settings there was more parity. The Gloworm has more spread so the beam pattern is more dispersed ( even with the spot/spot optics I use ) Since the output is higher there is no problems seeing although the Solarstorm still has a slightly brighter center area which clearly looks brighter when viewing objects in the distance. The Gloworm on the other hand had better peripheral spill.

Judging from this first ride I would think the Solarstorm X2 would provide the superior beam pattern for road use. This is not to say that I would prefer the SS over the Gloworm X2 for road use. The GW has too many nice features ( multi-menu, wired remote, off-set mounting ) for me to be willing to give up. Still, if I consider all the lamps I own the Solarstorm X2 and it's duel reflectors provide the best over-all beam pattern for road use. On the other hand for mountain biking I'd give the edge to the Gloworm X2.

While using the Solarstorm tonight I did have some minor problems. My handlebars are tapered. This made aiming the lamp a bit of a problem. If I moved it closer to the center the fins would touch the stem bolts. Next time I might need to add some rubber shimming to make it sit more evenly. I also had to put some electrical tape over the voltage indicators because the dang things are bright. Nice to have voltage indicators but I wish they weren't so distracting. No problems changing modes with the SS even though you have to cycle through "off" when you start changing modes. Really, this was not a major issue. "Strobe" is a press and hold thing so you don't have to deal with that if you don't want to.

Other than those minor issues I really liked how the Solarstorm X2 performed. I haven't tried the "included" battery yet. I'll try to get around to doing that by next week.

Tomorrow night I'll likely take a MTB ride and try the Solarstorm out on the bars and helmet. Can't wait to see how it works on the helmet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Do these plugs on these lamps work with the Magic Shine batteries? *********************l/ii6iY[/img]Looks like it, but wanted to know before pulling the trigger on one.Edit found my answer by actually reading the thread.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by decrea1 View Post
    Do these plugs on these lamps work with the Magic Shine batteries? *********************l/ii6iY[/IMG]Looks like it, but wanted to know before pulling the trigger on one.Edit found my answer by actually reading the thread.
    They do fit, but MagicShine doesn't use the screw lock design that SolarStorm is using so the connectors will not lock together in quite the same way. Depending on the particular MagicShine connector you may be able to push them together such that the o-ring holds them pretty tight.

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-dsc_0204.jpgSolarStorm/FandyFire X2-dsc_0205.jpgSolarStorm/FandyFire X2-dsc_0206.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Wow, with some of these light head only options to be in the mid $30 to low $40, anyone with a bit of DIY skills can mod them with better drivers, etc and have a very bright light for under $100.

Hmmmmm....
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    They do fit, but MagicShine doesn't use the screw lock design that SolarStorm is using so the connectors will not lock together in quite the same way. Depending on the particular MagicShine connector you may be able to push them together such that the o-ring holds them pretty tight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0204.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	830449
    Yes, the connectors do work with the MS type connectors. I tried pushing the screw sleeve over the MS female connector ( non-threaded ) and found that it actually holds the connection very well.

@pucked up: Yeah the DIY'ers will love these lamps but don't assume they are not good enough to use right out of the box. If you want a better product you might consider buying a Gloworm X2....and speaking of Gloworm, rumor is Gloworm will be releasing their new stuff pretty soon.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Well imo all chinese batteries are crap, even good ones will have 2000mAh cells inside.
    Its probably better to buy the light alone and the buy a holder + samsung 2600/panasonic 2900-3100-3400 cells for it.
    8 4V 6600mAh Aluminum Shell Rechargeable Battery FOR XM L T6 LED Bike Headlight | eBay btw there is a holder for $16 shipped.
    Do these shells use button top or flat top cells or does it matter?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks04 View Post
    Do these shells use button top or flat top cells or does it matter?
    I believe unprotected flat tops from earlier postings.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yeah the DIY'ers will love these lamps but don't assume they are not good enough to use right out of the box.
    Personally I would not use one of the cheapo lights without disassembling and reworking any deficiencies first.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes that is true

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Personally I would not use one of the cheapo lights without disassembling and reworking any deficiencies first.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Has anyone seen this?
    SolarStorm X3 3 x Cree XM-L T6 2000lm 4-Mode White Bike Light - Deep Pink (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I don't know how the third led in the middle will perform in comparison with the other two because the reflector seems to be a little wider. I'm thinking about buying the SSX2 but I need a light for trailriding and I'm reading all about throw that this light has, although I prefer more floody beam like the P7 I have right now...

mtbr member

Solarstorm X2 ; Helmet test

Tonight I took a Trail ( mountain bike ) ride with the SS X2 on the helmet. As usually my Gloworm X2 was on the bars but this time running the brighter "Trail Programme".

First thing I noticed was that my Gloworm ( on the bars ) had much better output than last night while the Solarstorm X2 was working real well on the helmet. Definitely the SS X2 has more throw vs. the GW X2. Not by much but still better. As such it makes a decent helmet lamp and better than the GW when used on the helmet.

It's quite amazing how well the beam pattern spreads out with the SS. Regardless I got a chance to put it to the test and found that it could illuminate very well in the 200ft. range. *When comparing both the GW and the SS in the 200 ft. range both worked very well but the SS with it's more focused beam was noticeably brighter at distance.
    ( *note: I should mention that my GW X2 on my mountain bike is set-up with one spot/one standard/medium optic. As such the GW was not only bright but had a superior beam pattern when used on the bars. )

With both lamps going at the same time I had an absolutely perfect amount of light. Even with both lamps on low I could see great. The Solarstorm continues to impress me with it's bright LOW MODE. Even in LOW it has considerable reach.

Toward the end of my ride tonight I rode a short section of straight gravel road that I used to do beam shots on. I stopped at the usual spot and took my helmet off. There I did some quick comparisons by holding the helmet at bar level. Very impressive how well the Solarstorm X2 lights things up at that 200 ft range. This surprises me because the light at that range is quite dispersed. Even so I could still see very well. The only other lamp I own that can beat it for intensity is the Xeccon X-12 but the X-12 has a much more confined and narrow beam pattern. As such it is not as useful when dealing with trails that are twisty, have shorter lines of sight and offer more dangerous trail features . On trails like those a helmet lamp with wider beam pattern is preferable. ( IMO )

Quote Originally Posted by xaxadj View Post
    Has anyone seen this?
    SolarStorm X3 3 x Cree XM-L T6 2000lm 4-Mode White Bike Light - Deep Pink (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I don't know how the third led in the middle will perform in comparison with the other two because the reflector seems to be a little wider. I'm thinking about buying the SSX2 but I need a light for trailriding and I'm reading all about throw that this light has, although I prefer more floody beam like the P7 I have right now...
    yes, those triples have been talked about. I hope to be able to get one to review. The original link that I used listed the lamp as using a 6A driver. The one on the link that you provided is only listing 3A.

I think the SS X2 would make a good bar lamp. If you think you want more side spill you might consider one of the D99 clones that use optics. Optics generally supply a wider more dispersed beam pattern. They are also available in XM-L U2 and XM-L2 so they should be almost as good as the Solarstorm's ( as long as they are not under-driven ). Either way, these duel XM-L lamps will beat the pants off a single P-7 lamp with flood lens.

The Solarstorm triple listing a 6A driver should have a fantastic output. As far as I know no one has one yet but if I get one I want the 6A version. Be careful ordering from D/X as they offer different versions of the same lamp. Read the product descriptions carefully.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I bought the SSX2 from Manafont and the output is seemingly impressive, only tried it quickly last week & haven't compared it to my other lights, but the battery as per Kir earlier posts is only good for around 40mins on high. Little lost as to whether I can complain to Manafont, as the advert doesn't include any spec on the battery or runtimes (yes I knew it would probably be poor quality) or if it's even worth returning. I'm tempted to take the plastic cover off to see if it was assembled correctly, as it's charge time is only around 2-3hrs (I've tested it 3 times to confirm), but obviously I can't return it, if I do that. Any thoughts?

I am tempted to try the Ali case and swap the battery connector, as I like the screw up connector. Saying that I have an old MS plastic battery case I may take to pieces first and see how difficult it would be to replace the batteries with better ones.

Anyone got any runtimes for a 4400 battery pack? As I am considering buying a high capacity battery pack, if you can't get 2 hrs on full from the 'std' one
    Last edited by z1ppy; 09-09-2013 at 09:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Cat,

Nice review. It's always good to have another light to compare/contrast with. Let us know when you do a runtime test. Refresh my memory as to where you ordered from again?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I've Just ordered one of these Solarstorm X3 with XM-L U2 LEDs yesterday.
    It comes with a 8,4V 6400mAh battery pack.

It will probably arrive in about 2-4 weeks i guess.
    If everything is in order, i will be glad to post some photos of the beam, finish, output, etc..
    Unfortunately i don't have the right equipment to measure voltage, lumen output, amps and so on, to make a serious test of the bike light.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The DX pack is reviewed here - not a smart choice if you don't like DIY

Quote Originally Posted by z1ppy View Post

I am tempted to try the Ali case and swap the battery connector, as I like the screw up connector. Saying that I have an old MS plastic battery case I may take to pieces first and see how difficult it would be to replace the batteries with better ones.

Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast