Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jud6yolas View Post
    It comes with the typical 4x18650 battery pack of unknown quality.
    They couldn't say it clearer:
    4*18650 bttery pack(Not Included)
    SolarStorm X2 2U2 2000LM Led Bike Light head - Black(Head Lamp Only)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes I think so, the price is unbeatable If the specs are with slow flash perhaps i would go for 2 of the and mod it with wide angle lense, xm-l2 u2 bins and slightly change the current sense resistor to give it more juice

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    Great price. It does have three modes (Low Mid High), unlike the Ali light head only.

In reading the Light Malls add one thing jumped out at me. It says the flash mode is SOS. The one I have is a slow flash. That might imply a different driver or a clone.

I did check with LightMalls online "live support." The support rep said it was a slow flash not SOS. He has corrected the specifications on their web page.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    Great price. It does have three modes (Low Mid High), unlike the Ali light head only.

In reading the Light Malls add one thing jumped out at me. It says the flash mode is SOS. The one I have is a slow flash. That might imply a different driver or a clone.

I did check with LightMalls online "live support." The support rep said it was a slow flash not SOS. He has corrected the specifications on their web page.
    They must have fixed the ad. Now says, "slow flash". The key here is that the lamp has the original Solorstorm markings. Always a good sign it is like the originals. If I had seen this ad I would have ordered from light malls and saved $10. If I get a decent battery than I made out. We'll see. Great link though for the "light head only". Hard to beat that price.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    update: I would avoid any light from this manufacturer

Shenzhen EF Lighting Sci&Tech Co., Ltd

poor quality and service

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    $14.79 Panasonic NCR18650B Rechargeable 3400mAh 3.7V 18650 Lithium Batteries 2-pack - authentic cells / 2-pack at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    You need these batteries to fit in that battery pack.
    Also these batteries have to be discharged to 2.7v to get full capacity out of them, not sure it that battery pack protection circuit will allow that...will test that a bit later.
    (beginner question alert)

So I got the battery pack, the batteries, and have an iMAX B6 charger. The pack has no balancing cable, just a magicshine style cable.

I assume the idea isn't to just throw the NCR18650Bs into the pack and just charge away, but some pre-work is needed to get the most out of the new pack.

Do I need some other kind of case to put these batteries in to get them discharged to 2.7v and/or otherwise "balanced" properly before use? It doesn't appear the pack has the necessary connections/smarts:

4 x 18650 Battery Set for Bicycle Light-in Charger from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com

Sorry this might have been better posted in the battery thread... but maybe helps others putting this same pack together for the Solarstorm-style lights.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    gopherhocke, just fully charge all of your new cells one-by-one before putting them to the battery box. You don't need to discharge them first. But you may want to do that in order to measure their actual capacity.

2.7V mentioned by Kir is just lower discharge voltage allowed for these cells, but many protection PCBs may disconnect the cell around 3.0V level, thus reducing available capacity.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post

poor quality and service
    And why is that, got bad batch with low capacity blue batteries?

You, like most people here (and me actually before I started my project with bike lights reviews) don't understand how this system works.
    These sellers on aliexpress - they're NOT the manufacturers, they're just that - sellers. They (well, most of them - there are some expections) will buy batches of lights from different factories and will sell what they can find at cheapest price.
    What's even worse is that the factories are the same, they will make lights from the stuff that they have in hand and they usually don't care about quality.
    Basically buying all these cheap lights is always a lottery and you can't predict what you will get.

I bought about 8 SSX2s from Shenzhen EF Lighting Sci&Tech Co., Ltd and already got _3_ different versions with different drivers, different batteries, even different cardboard boxes. Two batches were good, one batch had bad batteries. I don't know about the drivers and current draw/current on leds, haven't measured all this stuff yet - but they all work fine.
    I'll post SSX2 review soon after receiving a few more samples and I'll compare all the different versions there.

And btw - this is also why its pointless to read any descriptions, talk about advertised "U2 leds", "sos or strobe", battery capacities and all that stuff. You will get what you will get and it may not be what you expected or what was written in store's page or aliexpress listing.
    This is how it works with cheap chinese lights, unfortunately

EDIT: Read this thread on fasttech, especially replies by geek (one of owners of the site) about consistency and quality control:
    https://www.fasttech.com/forums/feed...not-being-addr
    Its not about bike lights, but its basically the same and can be applied to any cheap chinese mass produced stuff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Imo you really need to make your own battery for SSX2 (or buy a good battery made from 2600mAh cells), chinese batteries don't offer enough capacity for it.
    Personally I use for about a year rc lipo with indicators, alarms and protection setup with my 3 XML and I ordered 2 SS X2 heads from lightmalls to power them also with rc lipo setup. Kir did you try higher voltage to power the SS X2? I mean try not the 2S but also 3S or 4S?

Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    The regular X2 use xm-l? Is that right? Here's one (or clone) that uses xm-l2
    It's also more expensive at $57.49. Gotta love the dirty alley beamshot. Looks pretty good though.
    Now it is about 80$ min. order 3 pcs
    poor quality and service
    Why? Do you mean the lightmalls seller or the vendor that produces them?

OT: celebrating post no. 99

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Easy to get apart aside from the screw snapping just a phillips head screwdriver and small pliers - 5 min max
    I sent pic of beams but i don't want to send the internal pic to the supplier in case he just says i stuffed it by taking it apart when that isn't the case.

What are your thoughts on the discolouration of the goo.?
    is it possible that the goo made its way onto the globe after i started using it or is it more likely to have been that way when produced by sloppy workmanship.
    I'd like to send him the pic of the lens with crap all over it to prove my point.
    Just took a look on previous page.
    You're not supposed to be able to remove led's pill like this!
    http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/lig...-50-04_921.jpg
    This pill should be press-fitted/glued to the case, it provides thermal path for heat from led to the case.
    Your "goo" is just a melted plastic spacer like this one:
    $1.37 Insulation Gaskets for Cree XM-L T6 LED Emitters (10-Pack) 10-pack - 7mm opening / 16mm diameter / 0.5mm thickness / insulation & location function at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Led's pill probably got loose in your light (manufacturing defect), reflector alone couldn't push it to the case hard enough and the led overheated while melting this plastic spacer. You can replace the led but you should somehow glue/press pill into case.
    Also don't run this light on high without active air cooling (switch to low when not moving on bike) - it has a very, very lightweight case and overheats very easily. I don't like the look of the 2nd led in your light, looks like spacer is melted there too.

And about this light from ali - its just a SSX2 with new leds, nothing special about it. If you have a soldering iron and a $10 to buy 2 of these:
    $4.05 Cree XM-L2 T6-3B 10W 1100LM 5000-5200K Neutral White LED Emitter on 16mm Base Plate at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    you can make it yourself, and much cheaper than $82.
    Also its convoy, not convoli

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    The regular X2 use xm-l? Is that right? Here's one (or clone) that uses xm-l2
    Aliexpress.com : Buy Free shipping SolarStorm 2x CREE XM L2 T6 3B LED Bicycle bike HeadLight Headlamp Light 8000mAh battery pack from Reliable bikelight suppliers on Shenzhen Great Wall Technology Co., Ltd.

It's also more expensive at $57.49. Gotta love the dirty alley beamshot. Looks pretty good though.
    They now appear to be $82.13. Must have gotten popular enough to raise the price over the last few days…

mtbr member
    Kir, thanks for all that feed back. Hard to believe that a thermal spacing gasket could melt like that but I suppose it shouldn't surprise me. Possibly they substituted a cheaper gasket that couldn't handle the heat. The D99 I had used hard plastic O-rings as spacers, nothing like the big ones you linked to I'm glad to say.

I agree with your other comments as well. You never know when parts are going to substituted out. This doesn't mean you will get something that won't work but there might be unexpected changes that you might not like.

A while back I ordered a lamp ( not a X2 ) that was supposed to be 3-modes and got one that only had two. Than again when a driver is switched out there is no way to know unless you know what was originally suppose to be in the lamp.

All said, when this happens it usually happens to products that have suddenly gotten popular and the stock of the item quickly runs out. This probably brings about a rush to restore stock and when stock parts run out they look for quick sub-standard replacements ( rather than the OEM parts originally used ) At least this is my opinion on the subject.

...Also its convoy, not convoli ...
    Oh bloody hell, you mean this isn't the Italian version? How could I have been so wrong?
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 08-29-2013 at 04:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have exactly the same experience with buying supposedly-identical lights from East. You'll never know what you get until you'll disassemble & check it...

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quick update, 3rd version of SSX2 from Shenzhen EF Lighting.
    Differences: screws are now cross/philips type, previous versions had hex screws. Driver pcb is now green (it was black before) and soldering looks worse.
    Black shrinkwrapped batteries again, but this time with 2700mAh capacity (1st batch had 3000-3800mAh batteries, 2nd had blue batteries with ~1700mAh capacity).
    Waiting for more samples from another sellers...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just ordered a SolarStorm X2 Cree XM-L U2 from FastTech. Looking forward to checking out the QC

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I was probably both rash and ignorant of the process over there in my 'don't buy an light from these guys' so thanks for setting me straight. As you can imagine I'm just frustrated because of the workmanship and service. I know I know, get what you pay for etc and I did expect to buy a new battery for it but I hoped the lamp would at least arrive working correctly and maybe last a year.
    I'm realistic and on a very tight budget so I went out on a limb and got burned. Nothing more frustrating than trying to explain what went wrong to someone with very poor English and me with no chinese. or maybe they understand perfectly!

I'll look into soldering in a new pill, in your opinion Kir would the LED you listed be the best option for replacement. Also what's the best thing for connecting the pill to the body? jb weld would conduct heat well as it is epoxy with metal filings in it and is heat resistant. Anything else I should do to improve it while I'm in there?

On the heat issue, I didn't run the X2 stationary only the ultrafire x4 which hardly heats up at all in comparison. The X2 has heat protection (drops down when hot) as well.

anyway lessons learned

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'll look into soldering in a new pill, in your opinion Kir would the LED you listed be the best option for replacement. Also what's the best thing for connecting the pill to the body? jb weld would conduct heat well as it is epoxy with metal filings in it and is heat resistant. Anything else I should do to improve it while I'm in there?
    Kir listed an XM-L2 - so you'd probably change them both to be correct. The best is to apply some thermal grease e.g. arctic silver or something similiar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    Kir listed an XM-L2 - so you'd probably change them both to be correct. The best is to apply some thermal grease e.g. arctic silver or something similiar.
    Would I epoxy the pill to hold it in and thermal grease the edges? how would I hold it in firm to prevent the same issue reoccurring. and do I need the thermal gasket that melted on mine?
    Kirs' listing was 16mm, I just measured the pill and it's 20mm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I would buy 20mm (if the 20mm is original, 16mm may be too small), if you want to change just one, buy some 20mm XM-L U2 (fasttech, lightmalls, dx, kd, ... whatever and where ever you find the right one). Since I do not have my lights yet, I cannot say how to fix them. Epoxy or solder at 2-3 points may be OK with some thermal grease. I am not sure but you can use instead of melting gasket high temperature (300 degree Celsius) silicone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    that is the one that melted probably, but as I said, you can go to high temp silicone. There are also some emitters at CNQG site .

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just got one of these. Black battery pack, cannnot say anything about capacity yet. The lamp quality seems good, here are my current draw measurements (external PSU, stabilized 8.4V):

max mode: 2.13 A (2130 mA),
    mid mode: .85 A (850 mA), fluctuates from 0.8 to 0.9
    min mode: .03A (30 ma), fluctuates from 0.025 to 0.035

So there is plenty of light in max mode, lamp is getting very hot quickly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Nice one, and the draw at 7.4V - regular li-ion/-pol working voltage? Is the min mode like parking lights = .03A too low to see anything ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Now is the famous battery pack for 13$ at lightmalls

mtbr member
    WOO WHOO! Postman came knocking today. I now have my SS X2 clone in my hot little hands. A quick run-through with the light shining down my hallway looks VERY favorable. Output on all three steady levels MORE than meets my expectations. The driver must really be pumping the juice, this thing gets hot fast.

Anyway, mine was purchased from Manafont. I think it took about 10-12 days to get to me. Not bad. Usually takes 16 days. No time for more details I have to get to work. Hopefully I'll get a chance tonight to shine it around outside if I can fine a nice dark spot. I have a feeling that it is really going to have a nice usable beam pattern.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am still waiting for my 2 SS X2 heads from lightmalls I'll post some numbers here when they arrive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    Nice one, and the draw at 7.4V - regular li-ion/-pol working voltage? Is the min mode like parking lights = .03A too low to see anything ?
    For 7.4V it draws 1.35A. Now this is highly subjective, but mid mode is like 50% and min mode something like 15-20% (there is some useful amount of light).

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast