Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Can one replace the leds in these?
    Last edited by OFFcourse; 11-01-2013 at 06:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm getting the Gemini Olympia 2100 soon, I like the light pattern best on the Gemini nice and smooth. The SS have a spot in center and a halo, not my preferred pattern. My peripheral vision is affected by the halo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    The last 45 min. of test was done in my garage with high powered fan blowing on lights.

I will test the Gemini 4 cell samsung cells battery next. I think the batteries will do better after a few cycles of charging and discharging. Is that correct Leonard ? Using Gemini charger.
    Luv da bike. AFAIK Jury is still out on conditioning lithium batteries for the first 3 full-charge to full-discharge cycles. Try it.

Runtime test should be a simulation of riding with the lights. So aim for about a 10mph airflow. Higher airflow is better for the lights but it distorts reading. Test from start to end indoors or outdoors. Just keep it constant.

What is important is the X3 is as bright as the 2 x X2. Still amazed how identical the runtimes were.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    The 2-x2 lights on the bars "rear led button" started to flash at 2 hours 45 min. At 3 hours 15 min. went black. The x3 on the helmet went into flash at 3 hours 13 min. than went black 1 min. later.
    dgw, have to bring up this statement again. Wonder why only a 2 minute warning before depletion when you had around 30 mins warning with the SSX2s. Please check if this is happening in other rundowns. Also switch over batteries and light heads.

Last test, run both batteries with SSX2 separately. See how close we are to the expected runtime of 6.5 hours with the 7800s.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Purchased a Solarstorm X2 from fleabay (no. 111154856805). First one had the mounting screw strip out of the bottom of the head simply by mounting it to the bars. I returned it and they sent a new one. But the battery is crap. 42 minutes on high. The 3 indicators on the back are largely useless too it seems- after a full charge it never reads full.
    The customer service has been good so far, so I contacted them to see about a new battery- which may not be any better-or preferably a partial refund.

You get what you pay for I suppose. I'll look into decent replacement batteries.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ok, I'm testing now !! All Solarstorm lights, x2 power by Xeccon 6 cell 7800mah battery and x3 power by another Xeccon 7800mah battery. Inside test with high powered fan started at 9:50 am.

Than I decided to also test x2 powered by Gemini 4 cell 5200mah battery and x2 powered by Magicshine 4 cell 5600mah started test at 10:20 am.

All batteries charged by same Gemini charger, all light s on high setting. The x3 green led at rear of light head goes to 2 within seconds after turning on, so the indicator are not very accurate. Also the rubber bands that come with lights are junk, they will break. The Gemini bands are great !! I think the Xeccon will run the x2 for 6+ hours on high. Will see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-p1060235.jpg  

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-p1060237.jpg  

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    Can one replace the leds in these?
    Yes, iirc leds are mounted on 16mm stars and thermal paste. Just unsolder old stars and solder new ones, very easy.

Wonder why only a 2 minute warning before depletion when you had around 30 mins warning with the SSX2s.
    Probably different driver and different voltage levels for indicators. One flashing led on the back is supposed to indicate "emergency! less than 5% battery remaining".
    I still find its hard to believe that SSX3 draws 3.5A from battery...I've only seen 2 chinese lights with 3A draw or higher. Most of them can drive leds up to 3A but usually they're setup for much lower current, probably to provide a better runtime on crappy batteries.

The x3 green led at rear of light head goes to 2 within seconds after turning on, so the indicator are not very accurate.
    And again...these indicators will only show the correct battery capacity when light is turned off. When its on you get a huge voltage drop, especially on high mode.
    We really need a guide/FAQ on chinese lights, these questions pop up in every popular thread.

But the battery is crap. 42 minutes on high. The 3 indicators on the back are largely useless too it seems- after a full charge it never reads full.
    See above. Indicators are not useless, but your battery is. And you will _never_ get a good battery with SSX2, its simply impossible. Max capacity for chinese batteries is about 4000mAh and even then it'll be made from crappy cells that can't handle high load.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    And again...these indicators will only show the correct battery capacity when light is turned off. When its on you get a huge voltage drop, especially on high mode.
    We really need a guide/FAQ on chinese lights, these questions pop up in every popular thread.

See above. Indicators are not useless, but your battery is. And you will _never_ get a good battery with SSX2, its simply impossible. Max capacity for chinese batteries is about 4000mAh and even then it'll be made from crappy cells that can't handle high load.
    I must have missed the point about voltage drop. My mistake.

Yes, I am aware that the batteries are a lottery at best. I was only referencing my experience with this particular seller in case anyone else was thinking of ordering from them. But then again, they could have lights with a dozen different batteries, who knows.
    That being said, they are sent from the UK, so anyone in Europe can get one from this source in a few days. They also replaced the defective lamp, and have promised to send another battery- only time will tell if its any better. Point being that customer service does exist from this source.

Once I've learned more about this and read a few thousand posts in this forum I may be confident enough to install some quality cells- or I'll just get a battery pack from a reputable source.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    dgw7000 we need some on-trail beamshots of that setup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    X3 cut out 12:42 started at 9:50, so almost 3 hours on high. Give or take a few min. Again no flashing from the x3 just went out !!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    X2 with Gemini 4 cell battery went out at 1:29 started at 10:20 no flashing, was on high when it died. So 3 hours 9 min. Full high the whole time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Also tested a 2 cell Xeccon Bak cell battery with a Gemini Xera light head. Single led light, the battery lasted 2 hours 44 min. the last 45 min. it was in red flashing mode.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    X2 with 6 cell Xeccon battery went out at 3:31 and started test at 9:50. 2:45 green led indicator started to flash but light stayed on high. At 3:10 light got dimmer till out at 3:31. So about 5 hours and 45 min. total run time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    X2 powered by Magicshine 4 cell battery started at 10:20 is still going at 3:56, but is clear these x2 must be different because the rear led went into flash mode at 12:58. Than light got really dim and is still producing light now but so dim. If I unplug it and use one of the other x2 lights it will not turn on. Plugged it back in and still going. No heat at all, still going at 4:20.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-p1060238.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    That indicates that the 12,000mAh battery is really ~6,000mAh. Chinese spec inflation at its finest.

Not surprised but it is double the life of the original one and at the price buying a good battery pack still makes it a cheap light unit..

mtbr member
    X2 powered by Magicshine 4 cell battery started at 10:20 is still going at 3:56, but is clear these x2 must be different because the rear led went into flash mode at 12:58. Than light got really dim and is still producing light now but so dim. If I unplug it and use one of the other x2 lights it will not turn on. Plugged it back in and still going. No heat at all, still going at 4:20.
    dgw, I hope you have unplugged this by now. The battery can over-discharge if you run it down completely.

@Kir: this is what I don't get about some of these lights. The culprits are normally 3.7v-4.2v light systems that tend to deplete like a NiMH battery. Isn't the protection circuit in the battery supposed to kick in and shut it down? What is causing it to bypass the safety?
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yea I shut it down at 4:30, These lights were all bought from the same supplier on ebay. I think I'll sell these and go with Gloworm or Gemini you know what your paying for with them.

Leonard how is the newer Xeccon S12 Two light?

mtbr member
    Yea I shut it down at 4:30, These lights were all bought from the same supplier on ebay. I think I'll sell these and go with Gloworm or Gemini you know what your paying for with them.

Leonard how is the newer Xeccon S12 Two light?
    The battery that was used in this last test is the 4 cell MJ-6030 correct? Was expecting it to deplete about the same time as the Gemini. Was waiting and waiting for your runtime update post after the Gemini depleted. Was actually impressed as the minutes past. Now I know what happened.

5 hours 45 mins for the X2 with 7800mAh is not bad at all. Was expecting more since we had a better result when you shared the battery with 2 light heads.

Don't want to derail the thread. Talk about the S12 Two in the other thread later.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'm going to buy a solarstorm x2 or some clone in the next week. What is going to be my best bet for a supplier? I've read this whole thread (whew) and it seems like there's been a lot of variation in both light and battery quality depending on where and when you buy - so my question is, if you've purchased recently and got good product, who'd you buy from and what did you buy? I'm willing to buy a light and battery separately, but I'm looking to keep the total under $45...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm

Wow, looks like you could light up the outer reaches of the solar system with all those lights!

Ok, I'm testing now !! All Solarstorm lights, x2 power by Xeccon 6 cell 7800mah battery and x3 power by another Xeccon 7800mah battery. Inside test with high powered fan started at 9:50 am.

Than I decided to also test x2 powered by Gemini 4 cell 5200mah battery and x2 powered by Magicshine 4 cell 5600mah started test at 10:20 am.

All batteries charged by same Gemini charger, all light s on high setting. The x3 green led at rear of light head goes to 2 within seconds after turning on, so the indicator are not very accurate. Also the rubber bands that come with lights are junk, they will break. The Gemini bands are great !! I think the Xeccon will run the x2 for 6+ hours on high. Will see.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by back bowl View Post
    I'm going to buy a solarstorm x2 or some clone in the next week. What is going to be my best bet for a supplier? I've read this whole thread (whew) and it seems like there's been a lot of variation in both light and battery quality depending on where and when you buy - so my question is, if you've purchased recently and got good product, who'd you buy from and what did you buy? I'm willing to buy a light and battery separately, but I'm looking to keep the total under $45...
    There is a chance you may get lucky and get a good battery (last maybe 2 hours on high), but probably not. I doubt you can get a light head and a quality battery for less than $45 unless you get lucky.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbRevolution View Post
    @Kir: this is what I don't get about some of these lights. The culprits are normally 3.7v-4.2v light systems that tend to deplete like a NiMH battery. Isn't the protection circuit in the battery supposed to kick in and shut it down? What is causing it to bypass the safety?
    Protection PCB can fail, but thats probably not the reason for this.
    Different batteries use different protection pcbs, or rather different voltage cutoff levels. Safe level is about 6v (3v per cell), but some pcbs will allow discharge up to 4.8-5v (2.4-2.5v per cell).
    Dual XML lights like SSX use 2 leds connected in series and buck/step-down driver which will work as long as input voltage is higher than the voltage on leds (about 3v for xml, so 6v for 2 leds).
    When input voltage will fall below 6v the light will drop out of regulation and leds will start to dim. At the same time current from battery will decrease too, at 5v SSX2 will take about 0.05A - so this "very dim" stage can last for a very long time.
    Name:  b0c5f9g7vc2y2xsay.gif
Views: 1819
Size:  21.1 KB
    It will look like this.

This is actually very useful as a secondary protection - you won't be able to discharge your battery lower than ~5v because brightness/current draw will drop to almost zero at this voltage.
    If you want to compare runtimes on different batteries - use SSX3, it should have boost driver (3 leds in series) that will not go out of regulation until the protection pcb activates in battery.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

One led of my solarstorm x2 stop working.
    Any ideas to the solution?
    SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-imageuploadedbytapatalk1383514475.096393.jpg

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Replace the led, you need to know how to solder or find somebody who does. Or just check the wires and led's soldering to star, it could be a broken contact somewhere.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

I already check the wires and I don't see any broken.
    How I check the led soldering to star?
    I have to talk with Sunny of lightmalls because the light have only one week.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    you can measure the voltage on the led as a starting point ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

How I do that?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If you don't have electrical skill you should let some electrician take a look at that. To measure voltage you need a multimeter and attach plus probe on red cable and minus/black probe on black cable. See this, but take care!!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zaang View Post
    I already check the wires and I don't see any broken.
    How I check the led soldering to star?
    I have to talk with Sunny of lightmalls because the light have only one week.
    Send it back as a warranty claim... Faulty goods... Easier than fixing it...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

The shipping costs is more than a new one
    I'm from Portugal.

Edit: I already talk with the store and they will send a new one for only 7 euros, is more cheaper to me because the shipping costs from portugal to claim the warranty are +/- 20 euros.....

About the faulty solarstorm x2 i have, you think is the led is damaged?
    Where i can get a new led (with the star) to fix this?
    also need a lens, i let dropped and was chipped.
    The fasttech has several but do not know which indicated

thanks
    Last edited by zaang; 11-04-2013 at 12:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for thread guys it helped as I have not been in market for 3 years till now as my MagicShine battery is almost dead.
    I tried this one with my Amex card so I won't get burned.(oops sorry )
    Last edited by glovemtb; 11-07-2013 at 05:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Buyers beware: my cycling club's mate has just received SSX2 ordered from LightMalls:
    Black Color SolarStorm X2 2*Cree XM-L2 2200-Lumen Led Bike Light Without Battery Pack - Bicycle Lights Lamp Cap - Bicycle Light & Headlamp Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

Among traditional assembling imperfections, there's also an epic fail: the LED mounting pills are just plain absent! The LEDs inside are literally hanging in the air, with no any thermal sinking at all:

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    Buyers beware: my cycling club's mate has just received SSX2 ordered from LightMalls:
    Black Color SolarStorm X2 2*Cree XM-L2 2200-Lumen Led Bike Light Without Battery Pack - Bicycle Lights Lamp Cap - Bicycle Light & Headlamp Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

Among traditional assembling imperfections, there's also an epic fail: the LED mounting pills are just plain absent! The LEDs inside are literally hanging in the air, with no any thermal sinking at all:
    Damn, that's the one I ordered almost five weeks ago and still haven't received. F these guys.

Light freak
    Archie - You sound surprised???

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    Archie - You sound surprised???
    Yes, I am. I've seen quite many Chinese lights of various design and different grades of [so to speak] quality: thermal management was excellent, acceptable, barely adequate, mediocre, poor, terrible, anything - but it was present. This time, I'm surprised indeed...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I would write lightmalls for sure, mine SSX2 U2 have both alloy pills

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    I would write lightmalls for sure, mine SSX2 U2 have both alloy pills
    Is it just a round disc? I tried to look at the pictures on previous pages, but I didn't really see a picture of that one part by itself. Where did you buy yours?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

I'm waiting for two of these.......

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Mine U2's are from lightmalls: SolarStorm/FandyFire X2 - Page 10

the alloy pill is pretty thick and yes a sort of a round disc press-fitted inside the case

Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Is it just a round disc? I tried to look at the pictures on previous pages, but I didn't really see a picture of that one part by itself. Where did you buy yours?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

And you buy only the head light from lightmalls?
    I'm waiting for the shipping of two head lights with xm-l2 and I have afraid they don't have thermal protection....
    Do you think is better I talk tho lightmalls send me the xm-l U2 versions because the thermal protection?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    zaang, yes I bought the light head only. Well maybe you get the one with the correct alloy pill inside.

BTW is there anyone who can post photos of xm-l2 version of this light from lightmalls? I mean besides this poorly made one :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Mine U2's are from lightmalls: SolarStorm/FandyFire X2 - Page 10

the alloy pill is pretty thick and yes a sort of a round disc press-fitted inside the case
    I don't have any kind of machining capability other than a drill, a couple of saws etc. I doubt I could make that kind of disc with any kind of precision. You really need a lathe of some sort. Maybe a hole saw?

Hopefully I won't get f'ed like Archie's friend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If you can buy (as Kir measured 20 mm) some alloy or copper rod about 20 mm thick, you can try it at least. Or use some 20 mm cent/euro/whatever coin if you get the bad one :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think I may be able to get an automotive expansion plug and ram it in there
    Buy Dorman - Autograde Brass Cup-Type Expansion Plug 20mm 565-101.1 at Advance Auto Parts

I don't even have the light yet. Let's hope I don't have this problem.

mtbr member
    i'm still waiting on mine from lightmalls. its been a couple weeks. how long did it take you guys to recieve yours in the usa? heres what my tracking looks like:

the top entry which is the latest happened about a week ago.

Destination Country - Usa:Tracking Consuming:562 Millisecond
    , , Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

Origin Country - Singapore:Tracking Consuming:2106 Millisecond, Cache Time:2013/11/04 10:46:20
    28-10-2013, Despatched to overseas (Country code: US)
    22-10-2013, Information Received (This is not an acknowledgment of the physical receipt of the stated Registered Article)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I ordered on Sep 30 from lightmalls. I think it took until Oct 18 to leave Singapore. There was some sort of holiday in there though. I still don't have it.

Light freak
    Maybe someone wants to help this person get their money back without having to wait weeks/months-

SolarStorm Light Head and Xeccon S12 Kit - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    I ordered on Sep 30 from lightmalls. I think it took until Oct 18 to leave Singapore. There was some sort of holiday in there though. I still don't have it.
    wow thats long. I was expecting 2-3 weeks. what happens when you use your tracking number on usps.com? mine says "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment", date/time, location are blank.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    Maybe someone wants to help this person get their money back without having to wait weeks/months-

SolarStorm Light Head and Xeccon S12 Kit - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Thank you Scar. The Xeccon S12 has been sold. The SolarStorm Light Head is still available and ready to ship. I will ship priority mail so someone could receive it in 2-3 days - NOT weeks or months!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe3 View Post
    wow thats long. I was expecting 2-3 weeks. what happens when you use your tracking number on usps.com? mine says "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment", date/time, location are blank.
    Mine says the same. I don't think it will show anything until it's delivered!

This might be another option for the missing heat disc. They will be slightly too big though.
    Qty 10 Copper DISCS 7/8 x 22g Copper by KlynnJewelryDesigns

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If the pill is 20 mm I would stay with 20 mm. If there will be some freeplay after fitting I would drop some thermal paste between pill, led and housing, but it is something that can be repaired quite easily

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Normally the SS uses 16 mm stars. Those look like 20. For the XM-L2s did they run out of 16, and make do with the 20s, but the reflectors wouldn't fit back in, so they took out the pills to make space? Or did your friend just get a really messed up one. Or is the only thing SS on these the case.

How thick would the pill be normally be, if it were there?

Hopefully this is an anomaly. As other people get theirs, hopefully they'll check, and report in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    Normally the SS uses 16 mm stars. Those look like 20. For the XM-L2s did they run out of 16, and make do with the 20s, but the reflectors wouldn't fit back in, so they took out the pills to make space? Or did your friend just get a really messed up one. Or is the only thing SS on these the case.

Hopefully this is an anomaly. As other people get theirs, hopefully they'll check, and report in.
    ^^Great points!
    The joys of cheapo lights.
    I have a XM-L2 head coming via EBay....I guess I'll take it apart before I use it.

Light freak
    mtbRevolution nailed it earlier in this thread -

Quote Originally Posted by mtbRevolution View Post
    My 2¢. There isn't an explosion of bike light manufacturers in Shenzhen. What we are seeing in the past 6 months is a cheaper business model reflected in prices we see. These bike light assemblers get their casings/shells from a handful of suppliers sometimes brand pre-printed. They get their driver boards, reflectors and LEDs from another group of suppliers and then there's batteries and chargers all squeezed into a box set. This is partly the reason why there are price differences with the "same" model on different sites. We also see price difference in same sites at different times. Some here noted different driver boards for the same model they bought within a short time span.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yes, I am. I've seen quite many Chinese lights of various design and different grades of [so to speak] quality: thermal management was excellent, acceptable, barely adequate, mediocre, poor, terrible, anything - but it was present. This time, I'm surprised indeed...
    You already talk with lightmalls because the missing thermal pill?
    If yes, what they say?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    It's not mine. Light's owner will probably contact them...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Ok.
    But if possible, give me some feed back when your friend talk with lightmalls

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    As I had SS apart, it looked like 2-3 mm thick alloy hardly press fitted in the case. I think somewhere in the thread are some SS photos from Kir.

Found that here!
    Last edited by MK96; 11-08-2013 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Found that ptohos

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    As I had SS apart, it looked like 2-3 mm thick alloy hardly press fitted in the case. I think somewhere in the thread are some SS photos from Kir.

Found that here!
    Yeah, that's the picture I remembered seeing but couldn't find. That recess is what will make that part hard to replace. I think you would need a lathe to make that piece. Then again if they are putting in a 20mm star, when it should have only been 16mm, that piece will need to be entirely different. Just thinking out loud.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ok.
    But if possible, give me some feed back when your friend talk with lightmalls
    Well, below is LM answer. Enjoy!
    Dear Dmitri
    Thanks , I have sent the pictures to our egineer , he told me that , if the bike light become hot , it will change to low mode , after become cool , you can change it to high mode , as there is a overheating protected systerm with this light , so please don't worry ,
    Best regards
    Sunny

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Wow, what a pile of BS. Burn in hell lightmalls

I hope I don't get one of the bad ones, but I have a sinking feeling that I will.

They are selling XM-L2 version at fasttech also, that's probably a better option. Maybe!

mtbr member
    Wow thats screwed!

Does lightmalls realize what the internet is and how people find out about online stores??

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have a XM-L2 head coming from e4deals on EBay. I wonder what I'll find inside?

They just hit NY...so I should have them next week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

I'm waiting for two solarstorm headlights from lightmalls

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    A few weeks ago I ordered a x2 complete set from Lightmalls, just to compare to my other x2 light heads I got from ebay. I tried to cancel the order, they said they can't because it has already been shipped. I still have no shipping info !! I will not deal with them again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

If mine two come with this issue I will open a paypal dispute. But I hope not......
    My first one burn one led (have the thermal pill), and they give me some discount to buy another one. I buy it (only the headlight) and now I see this........ I will loose my head and make a paypal dispute
    This playing with costumers

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes lathe will do it, but you can try by hand using file (not sure about the right word)?? The thickness of 16 & 20 mm star is similiar, so there won't be a problem. The reflector holds the pill & led from the front side, so just to find the right thickness of the pill, use the thermal paste and you are OK.

I ride a Swarf
    I just received my lightmalls x2 xml2, and they have pills, although they are a little loose in the enclosure. so i added some thermal compound.

I think on of bats might be duff though. Might just swap to one of my lipos anyway for peace of mind.

for 25 quid i like them, although i dont think they are waterproof...but going to carry on using them
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

You buy the full pack and they have the thermal pills
    The problem is when you buy the headlight only....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The usable coins as thermal pills in europe/EU are 5 and 10 cents :-D they are 21 and 19 mm and thick about 1.5 mm, I think you can't get any pill cheaper than that

I ride a Swarf

Re: SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Ok. I nearly went head only. Well I kind of did as the bats are rubbish on at least 3 of the 4 I bought (2 for me and the others for 2 friends). 2 low on capacity it seems ( one worse than the other) and the other has too many volts. Still the lights seem Ok considering how cheap they are.
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I went for head only and I have pills in there ... to don't trust that - it is a lottery as ususal!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    As for now, we know one single case of such incomplete assembling: I don't think it's enough to make any conclusions based on this...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I will check mine, I ordered 2 from lightmalls, heads only, should come by next week.

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005
    Mine says the same. I don't think it will show anything until it's delivered!

This might be another option for the missing heat disc. They will be slightly too big though.
    [/url]

I ordered a lighthead only on Oct 14 and when I checked USPS.com today, it said it left the local sort facility Nov 10, which means it could have made it to my local PO this morning and been delivered today. USPS also gave me messages on Nov 8, 9 as it went through a NY sorting facility. As of Nov 7, I was still getting the "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment" message.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by klydesdale View Post
    I ordered a lighthead only on Oct 14 and when I checked USPS.com today, it said it left the local sort facility Nov 10, which means it could have made it to my local PO this morning and been delivered today. USPS also gave me messages on Nov 8, 9 as it went through a NY sorting facility. As of Nov 7, I was still getting the "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment" message.
    Ha, mine updated also. It looks like it left Kearny NJ on the Nov 8. Hopefully I'll get it in the next few days.

mtbr member
    mine also updated over the weekend, it should have come today but its veterans day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Mine just showed up.
    Bought it from e4deals on Ebay as a head only. Got to Boston in about 1 week.
    Has the threaded style connector...which has a very loose fit to Magicshine style battery connectors. Are you guys changing or modding the connector?

EDIT: took a file to the connector and all is well.
    Quick basement test and this thing is bright! ( XM-L2 unit)
    Compared to my Hi-Max single XML U2...it's about the same on the mid setting.
    Looks a little whiter than my 3x clone.
    I guess I have to ride tonight.
    Last edited by the mayor; 11-12-2013 at 12:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I finally got it. I ordered it on Sep 29 or 30th from lightmalls, lighthead only with xm-l2. That's a six week wait! There was a holiday in there somewhere.

I took it apart to see if it had the heat sink pill, and luckily it did! Based on the advice given here, I took it apart and added some thermal compound. I used the stuff that you use between the cpu and the heatsink in a desktop computer. This took much longer than I expected, plus I managed to rip one of the led wires from the driver board. About 45 minutes total.

The pill sits on this lip, but it moves around a lot when you trying to put it back together. It's tough to get it centered, and honestly I don't think I got it 100% centered when I was finished. Then just when you think you have it, the force of the wires pushes it out of place (I had both the driver and led side open). I ended up getting thermal compound all over the inside of the light. In the end, I'm not sure how effective my repair was, but I suppose it's better than nothing. If you don't have a soldering iron I wouldn't even attempt to do this. The reflectors are a little bit hard to remove and install.

Here's some pictures for future reference. The pill itself is a complicated shape. One thing I didn't do is to try and remove the led board from the pill. Did you guys do that?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-13_solarstorm_x2_xml2_smaller.jpg  

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-01_solarstorm_x2_xml2.jpg  

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-02_solarstorm_x2_xml2.jpg  

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-03_solarstorm_x2_xml2.jpg  

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-04_solarstorm_x2_xml2.jpg  

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-05_solarstorm_x2_xml2.jpg  

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-06_solarstorm_x2_xml2.jpg  

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-07_solarstorm_x2_xml2_smaller.jpg  

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-08_solarstorm_x2_xml2.jpg  

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-09_solarstorm_x2_xml2.jpg  

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-10_solarstorm_x2_xml2.jpg  

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-12_solarstorm_x2_xml2_smaller.jpg  

mtbr member
    should I even take mine apart to check? i dont really want to mess with it unless I have to. or if its going to cause damage to it if I don't add thermal paste. the light should turn off if it gets too hot?

mine gets delivered today.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    should I even take mine apart to check? i dont really want to mess with it unless I have to. or if its going to cause damage to it if I don't add thermal paste. the light should turn off if it gets too hot?

mine gets delivered today.
    Just take the front part of the light off. You can then take the glass in front of the reflector off, and take out the rubber ring. Then you take the reflector out with a micro screwdriver, you have pry it out gently. Then you will be able to see if you have the aluminum pill (third picture).

Do you have to add thermal compound? I don't know to be honest. I was just being on the safe side. You do have to careful with the wires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I planned to take mine apart...but why bother?
    I'll take it apart if it fails.
    Great light!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post

EDIT: took a file to the connector and all is well.
    Yeah, I took a razor blade and file to the black ring that slides into the battery connector. I also trimmed the white o-ring. It was a super tight fit into a standard magicshine battery, but now it works much better. I was worried about stretching out the battery's connector before.

This light is definitely bright. It's also a much smaller body than I expected. The switch has a nice positive click to it, with instantaneous mode changes. The flash is actually useful, i.e. slow, and is accessed by a multi-second hold.

Very good buy at $28.05 for the light-head only.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The best place to get them are ebay idem # 261287007964. 20.00 bucks for light head, free shipping. They only take about 8 days to you. Great seller.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The best place to get them are ebay idem # 261287007964. 20.00 bucks for light head, free shipping. They only take about 8 days to you. Great seller.
    That is the older U2 LED. I got the XM-L2 for $5 more

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Yeah, I took a razor blade and file to the black ring that slides into the battery connector. I also trimmed the white o-ring. It was a super tight fit into a standard magicshine battery, but now it works much better. I was worried about stretching out the battery's connector before.

Very good buy at $28.05 for the light-head only.
    I just took the o-ring off. I might hit the hardware store and get a thinner o ring.
    And yeah...I didn't want to stretch the battery connectors so my other lights will still work with them.
    I got mine for $25....and I'm sure they'll be cheaper in a few weeks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hi!

I'm looking for a bar light, has anyone tried this one?

LetterFire LF-22 2 x CREE XM-L T6 1000lm 3-Mode White Bicycle Headlight - Black (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

It has an OP refector, so it shoud have a wider beam...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I would go for 3 XML clone or these 2 XML clones (SS X2, MJ 880, yinding) with TIR lenses instead of alloy reflectors. You can set the width of the beam in many different ways from 5 to 120 degree.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I would go for 3 XML clone or these 2 XML clones (SS X2, MJ 880, yinding) with TIR lenses instead of alloy reflectors. You can set the width of the beam in many different ways from 5 to 120 degree.
    Thank's MK96!

I understand the yinding already comes with TIR lenses and I like the beam patern, but i'm more inclined to the MJ-880 clone beacuse I prefer the UI (not having to go trough off while changing modes)

I might go for the MJ-880 clone and then try to change the optics if i'm not happy with the beam patern.

I'm planning to use the ligth on the bars with a MJ808 Clone with OP reflector on the helmet I already have

mtbr member
    is there going to be a noticeable difference between the U2 and L2 versions? I'm asking for a friend cause I don't think he'll want to wait 3-4 weeks for the L2 when the U2 can be had in 8 days like dgw7000 says.

used the L2 from lightmalls last night, pretty bright. battery only lasts an hour though. ordered this battery to replace it:

Amazon.com: Replacement 8.4V 6600mAh Rechargeable Battery Pack for Headlamp & Bicycle Light: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    IMHO the difference will be barely noticable at this current. If you drive it harder, there will be some difference - but the L2 needs to be on a copper plate. Now you can get L2 T6 in 3A/B/C or 4C tints which are neutral white, L2 U2 is just blueish 0A/D or 1A/D tint. You can upgrade emitters at any time for about $10-12, so go for which one you like.
    Last edited by MK96; 11-16-2013 at 01:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have thinking the same thing about the difference between the u2 and the new L2 led, so I ordered the L2 light head only from e4deals like "the Mayor" pointed out. Looks like shipping time is about the same as I had with Outdoorlights from ebay. I will not order from Lightmalls again, people waiting 6 weeks is crazy !! As far as the screw cap on connector of light head I just put some heat from a lighter and it slips right over battery connector. The heat will allow it to form around making a good tight fit, did this to all 5 of mine.
    Also you will not get a good battery for 20 bucks, spend 40 bucks you will !!

mtbr member
    I have thinking the same thing about the difference between the u2 and the new L2 led, so I ordered the L2 light head only from e4deals like "the Mayor" pointed out. Looks like shipping time is about the same as I had with Outdoorlights from ebay. I will not order from Lightmalls again, people waiting 6 weeks is crazy !! As far as the screw cap on connector of light head I just put some heat from a lighter and it slips right over battery connector. The heat will allow it to form around making a good tight fit, did this to all 5 of mine.
    Also you will not get a good battery for 20 bucks, spend 40 bucks you will !!
    if you stretch the battery connectors out for the x2's connector it would make them loose on other lights though? or did you order 5 x2's?

that battery i linked people say lasts easy for 120 mins on the 3x clone, so might get 3 hrs on the solarstorm. all I need is 2 hrs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    if you stretch the battery connectors out for the x2's connector it would make them loose on other lights though? or did you order 5 x2's?

that battery i linked people say lasts easy for 120 mins on the 3x clone, so might get 3 hrs on the solarstorm. all I need is 2 hrs.
    Yes...it will make the battery useless with other lights....which is why I took a minute to file my light connector down.

Don't know which battery you are referring to...but I used the battery that came with my Hi-Max light which is a claimed 4 * 18650/4400MAH and it ran my SSx2 for over 2 hours ( I plan to let it run tonight to see how much more time was left)

I like turtles
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

A few day ago my solarstorm x2 XM-L2 from lightmalls burn one led on the first 10 minutes of a ride (I post a photo a few days ago), today I go to a night ride and after 5 minutes the other led burn to.
    Any one have this problems with this product from lightmalls?
    Fault products maybe?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    It has the older LED...and who knows what for a battery.

mtbr member

SSX2 Connector problems

I noticed the other day that if you have the standard SSX2 with the screw cap plug connector that that the connection with a standard Magicshine type ( female ) plug is not really a tight fit. It will work but since the connection is not as tight as it should be I noticed that the number of lit green led's indicators will vary depending on how well you get the plug to connect with the other ( female ) MS type plug. This goes to show that even a minor loose connection can cause enough of a voltage drop to effect the voltage monitoring. Not a big deal but if the wire moves and loosens the connection you might think you are running out of run time when indeed it is just a connection problem. I thought this worth noting.

As others have done it might be worth modding the plug or just replacing the plug with a standard MS type plug. I just received one of the Nitefire Hero2's. This is a lamp similar in design to the SSX2 only with three XM-L's. It too has the same plug problem but a bit more severe than the one on the SSX2. I'll likely try filing down the first plastic ring and if that doesn't work I'll probably just replace the plug.

For the life of me I don't know why the Chinese decided to step away from the standard Magicshine type plug. The MS type plugs worked fine. Big mistake on their part. Would be nice if someone sold a ready made adapter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    There you go. It's the little things that can make a difference.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 46