Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmckiwi View Post
    How long do you think a X2 would run off 2x 3100/3400 panasonics or the likes? Just wondering if I buy just the X2 and build a small battery pack from a 2 battery holder with PCM and cable that I can velco to my helmet. Could make a second and put in my pocket incase but most of my night riders would be under an hour so do you think I could get that long from 2 good cells?
    Good question. Without knowing more about how much power the SS X2 is using my guess is that if you are running the lamp on high you should get about 1.25 to 1.5 hrs. run time with a very good two cell set-up. The lamp will probably start to dim slightly at the 1hr mark and continue until the lamp cuts off the power.

If you run the medium setting you should get over two hours without any problems. When using two cell set-ups it is always a good idea to only run the amount of light that is needed. Now if you are using a "cell holder" you can always carry a couple spare cells in your bag and have no need to worry about such things.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

I might order a couple of cell holders and power cables and just make 2 units from some 3400 batteries, then I can just insulate the holders and carry a spare. It's unlikely that I will need much more than an hour so that will probably work well.
    I'll have a look on the weekend and work out what I need but worth a try with one of those X2 as should make a very light weight helmet setup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    just bought this :

Solarstorm 5000LM 2 Cree XM L U2 LED Front Bicycle Bike Headlight Headlamp Light | eBay

hopefully its got a half decent battery. Time will tell. should arrive in a couple of weeks (yay australia)

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by leighaus View Post
    just bought this :

Solarstorm 5000LM 2 Cree XM L U2 LED Front Bicycle Bike Headlight Headlamp Light | eBay

hopefully its got a half decent battery. Time will tell. should arrive in a couple of weeks (yay australia)
    Only 5000 lumen? LOL!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    chinese lumens... im pretty sure it will be bright as hell... running time... gee, who knows.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by leighaus View Post
    just bought this :

We know it's Chinese lumens. Apparently it's also Chinese mAh. The advert says a 6600 battery -- Yea - Right -- At that price?

Oh look - they're throwing in a $2.00 tail light. Are they adding the mAh from the 2 x AAA batteries to get the 6600? Are the AAA batteries even included?

Sold in AU dollars - shipped from China. Overrated specs. Return policy is 30 days from date of order - 7 days from receipt. Looks like a typical Fleabay seller. Like Cat always says - read the fine print carefully.

Bought at FastTech (known retailer with good track record & reasonably accurate specs) using the BLF discount code would be $40.59.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    Well imo all chinese batteries are crap, even good ones will have 2000mAh cells inside.
    Its probably better to buy the light alone and the buy a holder + samsung 2600/panasonic 2900-3100-3400 cells for it.
    8 4V 6600mAh Aluminum Shell Rechargeable Battery FOR XM L T6 LED Bike Headlight | eBay btw there is a holder for $16 shipped.

How are thee battery holders working out for those who have tried them? Are people using an external charger or leaving the cells in the case and charging them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    We know it's Chinese lumens. Apparently it's also Chinese mAh. The advert says a 6600 battery -- Yea - Right -- At that price?

Oh look - they're throwing in a $2.00 tail light. Are they adding the mAh from the 2 x AAA batteries to get the 6600? Are the AAA batteries even included?

Sold in AU dollars - shipped from China. Overrated specs. Return policy is 30 days from date of order - 7 days from receipt. Looks like a typical Fleabay seller. Like Cat always says - read the fine print carefully.

Bought at FastTech (known retailer with good track record & reasonably accurate specs) using the BLF discount code would be $40.59.
    I think most people know about the lumen and battery over rating issues. If the lamp is shipped from China you might get a decent battery. When I say decent I mean something around 3000 or > ( real )mah.
    I just ordered an X2 as well from another Chinese website and it too will likely have a crap battery. I'll have a better return guarantee but have to wait 16 days to get it. Personally I'm not worried about the battery as I have better compatible batteries standing by.

@ leighaus ; Just make sure that when your lamp arrives that you do a run time test ( with fan ) to make sure all is good. ( If you get 2-2.5 hrs on high than you have an acceptable battery IMO ) No promises though on how long these batteries will hold up. Not unusual for a crap battery to last less than a year. If any immediate problems contact the seller ASAP and file a complaint with the e-smay people ASAP.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Will do cat, thanks. Happy to start modding if things go haywire

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I received the SSX2 yesterday and it's the 8.4V 4 mode and black shrink wrapped batts. Haven't checked the duration of the battery as I just received two new batterys from Xeccon which were really quick in arrival and great service thanks to Leonard. Definitely a big difference in quality of the cells and workmanship between xeccon and the supplied batts with the ultrafire (clone) and X2. I noticed a difference between the two LED's in the SSX2 and i'm hoping its not a defect but that maybe the optics are different in each one to provide more spread or spot?? can anyone clarify that or should they be identical? Have i maybe got two different LED's?

has anyone swapped the optics if that is my issue? this lamp get way hotter than the ultrafire quad I bought.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Upset

So i had a better look and found that there is epoxy type stuff on the lense (is this heat sink goo?) and that is what reduced the light output. Some has discoloured as you can see, i'm assuming from heat....?

Contacted seller but not holding much hope. You can see that from the pic the top screw just sheared off leaving the thread stuck in without much force at all. So I tried to clean the epoxy off but succeeded in chipping the clear lense material over the led and now the lamp doesn't work at all. dow!!!

Could i buy a replacement LED and solder it in as a replacement and if i can what else could i improve while i'm in there?
    SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-2013-08-24_15-50-04_921.jpg
    SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-2013-08-24_15-55-32_490.jpg

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-2013-08-24_11-50-07_274.jpgSolarStorm/FandyFire X2-2013-08-24_12-00-56_100.jpg

mtbr member
    Wow! I'm amazed you got everything apart! Was it easy to disassemble?

Anyway, I was going to say that it you can careful remove the glue from the emitter dome ( without scratching or removing the dome ) you might get full output. Sadly, welcome to the world of Chinese quality control.

Since you got it all apart looks like it might be easy to mod.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Eugh... What a mess. QC at it's finest.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Easy to get apart aside from the screw snapping just a phillips head screwdriver and small pliers - 5 min max
    I sent pic of beams but i don't want to send the internal pic to the supplier in case he just says i stuffed it by taking it apart when that isn't the case.

What are your thoughts on the discolouration of the goo.?
    is it possible that the goo made its way onto the globe after i started using it or is it more likely to have been that way when produced by sloppy workmanship.
    I'd like to send him the pic of the lens with crap all over it to prove my point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
    Easy to get apart aside from the screw snapping just a phillips head screwdriver and small pliers - 5 min max
    I sent pic of beams but i don't want to send the internal pic to the supplier in case he just says i stuffed it by taking it apart when that isn't the case.

What are your thoughts on the discolouration of the goo.?
    is it possible that the goo made its way onto the globe after i started using it or is it more likely to have been that way when produced by sloppy workmanship.

I'd like to send him the pic of the lens with crap all over it to prove my point.
    The discoloration is probably from the heat. I figure the goo was there from the git-go. They might have used it to help keep the reflector from moving, hard to know for sure but very obviously they used too much. Since it is contacting the emitter dome that is not good for two reasons, one...it blocks light, two...it holds heat close to the dome. If not removed the emitter will eventually discolor or just burn out. The sooner the stuff is removed from the dome the better.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'll agree with Cat that the goo was there from sloppy assembly. It is very likely that replacing the LED will get it going again. When the dome was damaged in attempting to remove the contamination it probably broke one of the bond wires to the die. That's not repairable. If the reflector is contaminated it may be hard to clean without damage. Often the reflective coating is soft and thin and easily damaged. Just rubbing with a q-tip soaked in alcohol will scratch the coating and sometimes even remove it. Finding a suitable (ie. exact) repacement may be difficult.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The regular X2 use xm-l? Is that right? Here's one (or clone) that uses xm-l2
    Aliexpress.com : Buy Free shipping SolarStorm 2x CREE XM L2 T6 3B LED Bicycle bike HeadLight Headlamp Light 8000mAh battery pack from Reliable bikelight suppliers on Shenzhen Great Wall Technology Co., Ltd.

It's also more expensive at $57.49. Gotta love the dirty alley beamshot. Looks pretty good though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The circuit boards are white, in that new version of the X2. That IS the signature of an XM-L2. Nice pix of the guts too. The retailer seems to know the things we want to see.

Same seller as the "Fixed D-99" that Kir posted. Same brightness & color bins too.

I wonder if that seller is specifying L2s to its suppliers, or if the L2 is just becoming much more widely used? Hope to see other sellers with them soon (FastTech are you listening?)

mtbr member
    The circuit boards are white, in that new version of the X2. That IS the signature of an XM-L2. Nice pix of the guts too. The retailer seems to know the things we want to see.

Same seller as the "Fixed D-99" that Kir posted. Same brightness & color bins too.

I wonder if that seller is specifying L2s to its suppliers, or if the L2 is just becoming much more widely used? Hope to see other sellers with them soon (FastTech are you listening?)
    Yes, I noticed the same things. Also the emitters are mounted on copper cores...which is also a big plus. If you switch between the the two links ( "Convoli" D99 clone and X2 clone ) both show a photo beam shot done in the same alley. The X2 version looks brighter and has more spill.

I have to wonder though if they are both using the same driver. On the D99 clone the mid-level output list 30%. That's not particularly good because I doubt any of these lamps are really driving the lamp as hard as they could.

Anyway, a real shame because the Convoli D99's are really nice looking lamps. All things considered, the Convoli X2 clone looks like it has better output. If you are looking for a bar lamp with a warmer tint ( not super warm but medium warm ) then you should really like these. The ad's say these emitters are in the 5000K range, very much like the torch drop-in I have. Still, some people who like a brighter white would probably prefer the Xm-L U2's. There is a brighter bin Xm-L2 ( in the 6500K range ). I've not seen one of those yet but I bet they are awesome.

Dang it, I really would like to see one of these Convoli X2's in person. Unfortunately I'm not Kir. I can only affford to buy so many throw away toys.

P.S. I also expect to see more vendors selling these real soon. This is probably why the other lamps are dropping in price. Right now the market is over-saturated with X2 clones. Other than the cheap-o batteries they come with these lamps are super deals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I have to wonder though if they are both using the same driver. On the D99 clone the mid-level output list 30%. That's not particularly good because I doubt any of these lamps are really driving the lamp as hard as they could.
    Definately not the same driver. Look at the boards in the two adverts. The X2 driver is way more complex.

In Kir's original look at the X2 (approx calcs), Low=21% - Med=65%.

If (and I know it's a big IF) they only swapped the LEDs & didn't change the driver, the X2 - XM-L2 T6 3B version, should have pretty good mode spacing.

I've got the original version and found all the modes very useable. Even on Low people (like security guards) stop me and ask about it because it's so bright. I've even gotten envious looks from the cops on bikes.

In June when the flood in Calgary took out power to a large chunk of downtown and other parts of the city, I was wandering through the blackout area. (Shed a tear for my car submerged to 4 inches up the back of the seats.) With 100,000 people evacuated (across all the various flooded & blacked out neighbourhoods), the area was crawling with endlessly circling bike cops. I thought how pittiful their lights looked in comparison to mine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    The regular X2 use xm-l? Is that right? Here's one (or clone) that uses xm-l2
    Aliexpress.com : Buy Free shipping SolarStorm 2x CREE XM L2 T6 3B LED Bicycle bike HeadLight Headlamp Light 8000mAh battery pack from Reliable bikelight suppliers on Shenzhen Great Wall Technology Co., Ltd.

It's also more expensive at $57.49. Gotta love the dirty alley beamshot. Looks pretty good though.
    I love that they say is a 8000 mAh battery pack. I'm guessing that it runs at 7.4 volts. What single 18650 is 4000 mAhs.

mtbr member
    Definately not the same driver. Look at the boards in the two adverts. The X2 driver is way more complex.

In Kir's original look at the X2 (approx calcs), Low=21% - Med=65%.

If (and I know it's a big IF) they only swapped the LEDs & didn't change the driver, the X2 - XM-L2 T6 3B version, should have pretty good mode spacing.

I've got the original version and found all the modes very useable. Even on Low people (like security guards) stop me and ask about it because it's so bright. I've even gotten envious looks from the cops on bikes....
    Very good. Since I have a U2 version of the X2 on order I'm really hoping that one; it is as usable as I think it is and two; that it is easy to mod.

@ ironbrewer: Yeah, I know what you mean. BS lumen claims and BS battery claims...what are ya going do? For the folks that know the limitations of emitters and batteries it's not really a big issue but you have to feel sorry for others who don't know as much.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    @ ironbrewer: Yeah, I know what you mean. BS lumen claims and BS battery claims...what are ya going do? For the folks that know the limitations of emitters and batteries it's not really a big issue but you have to feel sorry for others who don't know as much.
    You forgot BS current, BS run times and .... it is the snake oil of the modern era

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It is for quite a good price now the head only on lightsmall

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    It is for quite a good price now the head only on lightsmall
    Great price. It does have three modes (Low Mid High), unlike the Ali light head only.

In reading the Light Malls add one thing jumped out at me. It says the flash mode is SOS. The one I have is a slow flash. That might imply a different driver or a clone.

I did check with LightMalls online "live support." The support rep said it was a slow flash not SOS. He has corrected the specifications on their web page.

Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast