SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Printable View

  • 09-12-2013
    calzone
    Thanks Kir,

    So I have to warn you guys - if you buy additional battery pack from Fasttech - check the connector size. They list it as "5.5 mm" size, but say nothing about pin size.

    This one:
    $10.53 8.4V 4400mAh 2S2P 4*18650 Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery Pack - DC port 5.5mm / 500 times rechargeable at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    has 5.5/2.5 connector which wont fit

    These have proper 5.5/2.1 connectors:
    $22.58 8.4V 8000mAh 2S2P 4*26650 Battery Pack - DC port 5.5mm / 500 times rechargeable at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    $16.29 8.4V 6600mAh 2S3P 6*18650 Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery Pack - DC port 5.5mm / 500 times rechargeable at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

    They really should inform about that...
  • 09-13-2013
    find_bruce
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    Ok, let's be correct - it is a MS pack from DX. If you want to use the pack alone after some time when the cells would be weak, it is difficult to replace them. That was my original idea :)

    I have some experience with the MS pack from DX, having written the review referred to (also on these forums). After 2.5 years, the cells in my pack have aged & are now of different capacity, ie time for a replacement.

    I intend to simply replace the cells with some nice Panasonic or Sanyo cells. Solder tabs are nice & easy, but you can solder direct to the cells.
  • 09-13-2013
    Scoobylight
    [QUOTE=calzone;10673725]Thanks Kir,

    So I have to warn you guys - if you buy additional battery pack from Fasttech - check the connector size. They list it as "5.5 mm" size, but say nothing about pin size.

    This one:
    $10.53 8.4V 4400mAh 2S2P 4*18650 Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery Pack - DC port 5.5mm / 500 times rechargeable at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    has 5.5/2.5 connector which wont fit

    These have proper 5.5/2.1 connectors:
    $22.58 8.4V 8000mAh 2S2P 4*26650 Battery Pack - DC port 5.5mm / 500 times rechargeable at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    $16.29 8.4V 6600mAh 2S3P 6*18650 Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery Pack - DC port 5.5mm / 500 times rechargeable at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

    So will both the bottom two batteries work with the SSX2.
    How long run time will the 8000 mAh give and will this be able to be charged with my original SSX2 charger?
  • 09-13-2013
    Kir
    3, maybe 3.5 hours on high. Real capacity is ~6100mAh.
    Yes, you can charge it with your charger.
  • 09-13-2013
    Scoobylight
    So best to get another 4x18650 and use a splitter cable (would this work) or get a 4x26650
  • 09-13-2013
    Lightfoot
    Re: SolarStorm/FandyFire X2
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by calzone View Post
    Just got one of these. Black battery pack, cannnot say anything about capacity yet. The lamp quality seems good, here are my current draw measurements (external PSU, stabilized 8.4V):

    max mode: 2.13 A (2130 mA),
    mid mode: .85 A (850 mA), fluctuates from 0.8 to 0.9
    min mode: .03A (30 ma), fluctuates from 0.025 to 0.035

    So there is plenty of light in max mode, lamp is getting very hot quickly.

    How is that one going? I ordered one after getting a refund from ali ex for my defective ssx2. It took some doing but I got a full refund without sending mine back. Looking forward to the arrival. How is yours in brightness and workmanship, not concerned about battery qual.

    Ive ordered some 16mm star U2 leds so I can rebuild the ssx2 as well.

    Sent from my GT-I9195T using Tapatalk 2
  • 09-13-2013
    calzone
    Yes, IF they send them with the connectors exactly as pictured.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
    How is that one going? I ordered one after getting a refund from ali ex for my defective ssx2. It took some doing but I got a full refund without sending mine back. Looking forward to the arrival. How is yours in brightness and workmanship, not concerned about battery qual.

    This lamp looks very good, although I did not disassemble it, so I don't know what's inside. I was a little concerned about heat dissipation, but during actual ride it was no problem. In high mode lamp was just a little warm. Medium mode (BTW: 3h20min on stock battery) gives absolutely enough light for average MTB speeds, high would be useful for very fast descents, if any.
  • 09-14-2013
    Lightfoot
    Re: SolarStorm/FandyFire X2
    Thanks I'm planning on it beig a helmet mount as the 4xml ive got on the bars blazes. Had it up against guys with multiple ay up set ups and they were dim in comparison. Mind you the 4x is heavier. Cheers for the update

    On the topic of batteries, can I easily convert a 4 cell into a two cell for the helmet?

    Sent from my GT-I9195T using Tapatalk 2
  • 09-15-2013
    kragu
    SolarStorm/FandyFire X2
    Anyone happen to know the dimensions of the reflectors on this? My "smooth" reflectors are poorly made and I want to replace them with OP reflectors. I think it takes a 1mm hex key to unscrew and all I have is a 1.5 and a .05", which is too small.
  • 09-15-2013
    kwarwick
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Anyone happen to know the dimensions of the reflectors on this? My "smooth" reflectors are poorly made and I want to replace them with OP reflectors. I think it takes a 1mm hex key to unscrew and all I have is a 1.5 and a .05", which is too small.

    Look at the last photo on FT product page, it has all the reflector dimensions: $40.73 SolarStorm X2 Cree XM-L U2 4-Mode 2000-Lumen LED Bicycle Bike Light - black / 4*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

    I think actually the screws on the front are something like 1.25-1.30mm hex. I've got a tool kit coming soon that I hope has the right size, but I was able to unscrew them with a flat bladed screw driver that was just the perfect width... just be careful not to strip out the heads.
  • 09-15-2013
    kragu
    SolarStorm/FandyFire X2
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    Look at the last photo on FT product page, it has all the reflector dimensions: $40.73 SolarStorm X2 Cree XM-L U2 4-Mode 2000-Lumen LED Bicycle Bike Light - black / 4*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

    I think actually the screws on the front are something like 1.25-1.30mm hex. I've got a tool kit coming soon that I hope has the right size, but I was able to unscrew them with a flat bladed screw driver that was just the perfect width... just be careful not to strip out the heads.

    Thanks! Too bad I can't seem to find that size reflector anywhere.
  • 09-16-2013
    Ian_C
    Look at the LAST picture, on the FastTech page, in full size. The measurments are overlayed on the picture.

    I suspect the finding a suitable OP replacement will be challenging. I've seen a suggestion over on CPF or BLF on a way to turn a SMO reflector, into a OP. With the reflector out of the lamp, give it a quick sprits with a clear acrylic spray.

    I'm not sure if the heat build up in there would be enough to cause problems later on, but it certainly sounds like an interesting idea.
  • 09-16-2013
    MK96
    So I measured the draw from my SSX2 from lightmalls at 7.4 and 8.4 in low mid and high modes and results are here:
    7.4V:
    0.15A
    0.49A
    1.88A

    8.4V:
    0.24A
    0.72A
    1.87A

    I measured on both heads, so at least they are the same :)
  • 09-16-2013
    Snakes
    Since no-one made any beamshots I've decided to take a few photos of my Magicshine MJ-808 and X2. P7 LED in mj-808 was changed for XML-u3.
    I've expected higher difference between the lights.

    Mj-808 low:


    Mj-808 high:


    x2 low:


    x2 medium:


    x2 high:
  • 09-16-2013
    varider
    Thanks for the beamshots Snakes. There doesn't to be as much of a difference as I thought there would be. I'm surprised by this. Did you take the pictures with a constant time and exposure settings?
  • 09-16-2013
    Snakes
    Yes, fixed settings:
    ISO100, f3.2, 2", whitebalance daylight.
  • 09-17-2013
    MK96
    I think there is pretty much difference in the flood of 808 and X2 on high and there is less difference in throw. But X2 seems brighter and floodier.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Thanks for the beamshots Snakes. There doesn't to be as much of a difference as I thought there would be. I'm surprised by this. Did you take the pictures with a constant time and exposure settings?

  • 09-17-2013
    Cat-man-do
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    I think there is pretty much difference in the flood of 808 and X2 on high and there is less difference in throw. But X2 seems brighter and floodier.

    Since I own both lamps I would have to agree...^^

    I don't think the photo's do either lamp justice. No reference to distance so pretty much useless. The X2 would work very well either as a bar or helmet lamp but the 808E I have is better as a helmet lamp. Not that it ( 808E ) couldn't be used on the bars but most people would want something wider.
  • 09-17-2013
    Snakes
    Here you can get version with OP reflector and battery indicator on top:
    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S022532
  • 09-17-2013
    MK96
    The shot of SSX2 is a bit shifted to the left, but SSX2 seems flodier and brighter when I compare the intensity of the light pointing on same objects on the photo :) But I think it is as bright as my Skyray S6 (same draw, but S6 is 3 * T6 and X2 is 2 * U2). I also forgot to write the lightmalls X2 version is also slow flash :)
  • 09-17-2013
    MK96
    another new version :)

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Snakes View Post
    Here you can get version with OP reflector and battery indicator on top:
    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S022532

  • 09-17-2013
    varider
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Snakes View Post
    Here you can get version with OP reflector and battery indicator on top:
    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S022532

    I wonder why there are two indicators. Could the other tell you which mode you are in. That could be somewhat useful. They don't look very water resistant though.
  • 09-17-2013
    Kir
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by varider View Post
    I wonder why there are two indicators. Could the other tell you which mode you are in. That could be somewhat useful. They don't look very water resistant though.

    Because it just looks better with 2 indicators :)
    LetterFire LF-22 2 x CREE XM-L T6 1000lm 3-Mode White Bicycle Headlight - Silver (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    Here is a white version on DX, read the description. These are simple green-red indicators, they won't tell you anything about the modes.
    Btw this version also has an interesting battery pack, it could be simular to D-50 one. I ordered this white version to try it myself.
  • 09-18-2013
    Snakes
    Hopefully reflector has the same dimensions and will be available aftermarket...
  • 09-18-2013
    MK96
    Perhaps, but is missing some screws on the reflector side of the light :( It'll be glued ...
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Snakes View Post
    Hopefully reflector has the same dimensions and will be available aftermarket...

  • 09-18-2013
    MK96
    There is also a new version at lightmalls, the funny part is the indicator is on the left side or the right side :)
  • 09-18-2013
    Cat-man-do
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    There is also a new version at lightmalls, the funny part is the indicator is on the left side or the right side :)

    Ah...some of those are "Light head Only"...sweet, good price.

    Well, if you're one of those people who were riding with just a single 808 or single emitter MS clone on your bars...These things are calling your name. :ihih:
  • 09-18-2013
    SMorrison
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Ah...some of those are "Light head Only"...sweet, good price.

    Well, if you're one of those people who were riding with just a single 808 or single emitter MS clone on your bars...These things are calling your name. :ihih:


    Now.... You stop that!

    Must...resist...bright lights...the colors...oohhh, shiny!
    :cool:
  • 09-18-2013
    varider
    How is lightmalls? Are they reliable?

    Having the battery indicators on top is way worse than having them on the back, it will shine straight into your eyes! Reading the description on dx, it appears that the light may come with two mode groups. It's hard to tell though, it's so poorly written. That could be a useful feature.
  • 09-18-2013
    MK96
    I have the older version with the indicators on the back. But so far so good. If I have some time I take it apart and post some shots. But the shipping was quite quick from lightmalls, I have mine for about 2 weeks - can't remember exactly.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by varider View Post
    How is lightmalls? Are they reliable?

    Having the battery indicators on top is way worse than having them on the back, it will shine straight into your eyes! Reading the description on dx, it appears that the light may come with two mode groups. It's hard to tell though, it's so poorly written. That could be a useful feature.

  • 09-18-2013
    varider
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    I have the older version with the indicators on the back. But so far so good. If I have some time I take it apart and post some shots. But the shipping was quite quick from lightmalls, I have mine for about 2 weeks - can't remember exactly.

    How are the modes arranged on your light? Is it low-med-high-flash-OFF--low..
    Or is it press-and-hold for the flash mode.
  • 09-18-2013
    MK96
    Anyway, will this work to join 2 SS X2 heads together? The right one should be 5.5 x 2.1 mm or?

  • 09-18-2013
    -Archie-
    It will work, if you remove rubber O-rings from X2 connectors.
  • 09-18-2013
    MK96
    It is low-med-high-off-low-... and long press for slow flash and that is what I like about this one button setup and hidden slow flash :)
  • 09-18-2013
    MK96
    That is what I wanted to hear, thanks a lot :)

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    It will work, if you remove rubber O-rings from X2 connectors.

  • 09-18-2013
    -Archie-
    You're welcome! :)
  • 09-18-2013
    Bollis
    Sv: SolarStorm/FandyFire X2
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    I have the older version with the indicators on the back. But so far so good. If I have some time I take it apart and post some shots. But the shipping was quite quick from lightmalls, I have mine for about 2 weeks - can't remember exactly.

    Here is some pictures of the inner workings of the light.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-diy-do-yourself/mod-solarstorm-fandyfire-x2-875060.html



    Skickat från min GT-I9300 med Tapatalk 4
  • 09-18-2013
    varider
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    It is low-med-high-off-low-... and long press for slow flash and that is what I like about this one button setup and hidden slow flash :)

    That's great, thanks for the info. I hate when they put the flash mode into the regular mode rotation. I might have to get one of these.
  • 09-18-2013
    MK96
    you're welcome :)
  • 09-22-2013
    MK96
    3 Attachment(s)
    Hey guys, the lighmalls version seems to have different driver circuit, although I have not compared it with Kir's photos. But the first difference is the PCB green color instead of black :) Current drain numbers are somewhere before this post.

    Attachment 833854
    Attachment 833855
    Attachment 833856
  • 09-22-2013
    2002maniac
    I'm a bit of a lighing noob (my only light is a niterider 600). I just ordered a "welltop" light from amazon that appears to be the same as the lights discussed here. What do you guys think? I paid $25 shipped so I won't be too disappointed if it's crap, but it seemed like a good gamble.

    Amazon Welltop
  • 09-24-2013
    Ian_C
    I noticed that the driver is listed as High-Mid-Low, which is reverse of the SolarStorm one I have. There is no mention of Hold for Flash mode. When you get it, please report back on the mode arrangement.

    The picture sure looks like the SolarStorm logo and X2 markings
  • 09-28-2013
    Lichitisky
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Interesting...my thoughts....Somewhat ugly but if you must have a three emitter lamp this could be the most functional. Likely good at heat dissipation as well. Personally, I like the smaller form factor of the duel emitter lamps. If the Solarstorm X2 comes out in a XM-L2 version I might just buy one. ( Unless Gloworm comes out with an XM-L2 version of their *X2 first ;) ... * not to be confused with the Solorstorm X2 )


    Strange though that they claim this lamp is 6000 lumen. :rolleyes:

    Lightmalls selling just the head for a cheap price... You rides are not gonna be the same after this light.... Its calling you name Cat-man-do. kkkkkkkkkkkk

    Black Color SolarStorm X3 3xCree XM-L U2 4-Modes 2500-lumen Bicycle Light (4*18650 Battery) - 3LED Bike Light - Led Bike Light - Bicycle Light & Headlamp Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

    I just made a product request at FT so they carry the new X3 with the new battery case shown at Blackshadow's website and I am waiting for the reply.

    Solarstorm X3 brand quality best bicycle light, View best bicycle light, Solarstorm Product Details from Shenzhen Blackshadow Technology Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

    This battery case rocks and if you buy 4 panasonic 18650 of 3400mah to go with it, we would get around 6800mah. Holybible!
  • 09-29-2013
    MK96
    But the price for the head is more that for 2x SSX2 :( You can go better with 2x SSX2 as I did.
  • 09-29-2013
    Lichitisky
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    But the price for the head is more that for 2x SSX2 :( You can go better with 2x SSX2 as I did.

    That is a very good point MK96. Certainly this is the best cost efective decidion. But that beam pattern that comes stock should be woth the try on the head though... I dont know. The build quality and moding capabilities (that i dont know about) of the SS x2 seem so good that this could be a beast in a small form factor (when compared to the MS 3 led clone).

    If it does deliver anywhere close to 2000 lumens, with that beam pattern, this would make the best bars mounted lamp right now?

    The truth is... I just fell silly riding a Road Bike with two lamps LMAO

    But you are right, one could just buy 2 SSx2 and have a great power and within a small budget. :thumbsup:
  • 09-29-2013
    Cat-man-do
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Lichitisky View Post
    Lightmalls selling just the head for a cheap price... You rides are not gonna be the same after this light.... Its calling you name Cat-man-do. kkkkkkkkkkkk

    Black Color SolarStorm X3 3xCree XM-L U2 4-Modes 2500-lumen Bicycle Light (4*18650 Battery) - 3LED Bike Light - Led Bike Light - Bicycle Light & Headlamp Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

    Actually, I already have one on the way being supplied by D/X for review. It should be here by next week hopefully. One of the D/X versions has a 6A driver. I thought that worthy to be reviewed.
  • 09-29-2013
    Lichitisky
    OMG whata lucky cat. Cant wait for this review. Please dont forget to mention the lens sizes for moding purposes.I new It was calling your name. ;)
  • 09-29-2013
    MK96
    6A driver? :) That would be too much for the heatsink - nearly 2A for each led - but a bunch of light. Well on a roadbike one SSX2 is just enough ;-)
  • 09-29-2013
    Cat-man-do
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    6A driver? :) That would be too much for the heatsink - nearly 2A for each led - but a bunch of light. Well on a roadbike one SSX2 is just enough ;-)

    That's a possibility. First thing I'll be testing for is thermal lux fade. Hopefully it will have some punch. I'll be comparing it to the tri-clone and the D/X 3-mode quad, all of these XM-L lamps. Results should be interesting. I'm getting ahead of myself though. I need to get the lamp first.
  • 09-29-2013
    Lichitisky
    I just saw a crazy price for the Solarstorm x2 at Lightmalls:

    20 bucks for the head only (red)
    30 buck for the black one with battery!

    Buy SolarStorm X2 2000-lumen Dual Head Bicycle light With 2xCree XM-L U2 LED 4 Modes(4*18650 Battery) - lightmalls led bike online Worldwide Free Shipping!!!