Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I believe fasttech are selling the good ones. I got 2 last week from them & both batteries are in the black shrinkwrap. used for approx 90 minutes & power indicator was still green. Only had 1 ride with them so far.

very impressed with these lights when comparing to my single XML MS clone i have been happily using for the last 10 months.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    You have to be real careful when buying stuff from the Chinese web sites. On the link you provided the X2 being sold only has three modes, high-low-strobe. There is no mid-mode like with the other sellers. That would be the deal breaker for me.
    Thanks Cat. I'd missed that.

I did see the rather odd line item in the description "is_customized: Yes" and wondered what it meant. Guess you discovered the customization.

It just confirms my uneasy feeling about Ali Express. I knew I smelled a rat when each link to the X2 on Ali seemed to be from a different seller.

mtbr member
    Took my Ali SSX2 out this morning at 230am, with a freshly charged 4400ah batt. I like it--its my first serious light compared to my first ed. Magicshine, and the Dinotte 600 which I returned, it not being a cost worthy improvement over the P7 MS.

I don't plan to get a spare SSX2. I want more lumens, better construction, design and reliability. IIRC these X2 are estimated at 1000 lumens, correct? If that's the case perhaps the Gemini Olympia, although I'm really hoping Gloworm's X2 upgrade can hit 1500.

Gloworm?!?

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mike95 View Post
    I believe fasttech are selling the good ones. I got 2 last week from them & both batteries are in the black shrinkwrap.
    Not really, I measured 3040mAh for fasttech SSX2. Basically black shrinkwrap means that you'll get battery with 3000-4000mAh capacity and even then its not guaranteed.
    Chinese batteries = lottery where you have a huge chance to lose and even if you win you'll get only average battery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    Not really, I measured 3040mAh for fasttech SSX2. Basically black shrinkwrap means that you'll get battery with 3000-4000mAh capacity and even then its not guaranteed.
    Chinese batteries = lottery where you have a huge chance to lose and even if you win you'll get only average battery.
    Considering how cheap the entire package is and with shipping. It's a wash, there's no way I can make a light that good with that cost, not to mention sourcing the mounts as well.

It's like frozen pizza versus homemade pizza, homemade pizza always came out more expensive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    So who's selling the good version?
    And links would be helpful. Dang, I wish I knew there were better and worse ones before I bought 2 from Ali Express.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherhockey View Post
    And links would be helpful. Dang, I wish I knew there were better and worse ones before I bought 2 from Ali Express.
    me too and Ali are taking a very long time to get it to me.....

The description for mine has 3 led's at the rear so i figure it's the 8.4V model and also lo-mid-hi-strobe so fingers crossed it's all good. I don't expect the battery to be much good so i'm not stressed about that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherhockey View Post
    Hey, don't feel bad, I was ready to pull the trigger on these as well.

Fasttech is probably the best place to buy one but Manafont has a SS X2 clone that is a little cheaper. Looks like the same lamp only it doesn't have the Brand name on it. Even comes in the same box. It has 4-modes and battery power indicators, should be the same lamp.

I've been wondering about these lamps for quite a while. Pretty much looks like a decent package. The lamp uses reflectors ( which I like more than optics ) It has three steady modes ( plus strobe ) which I like. It has battery voltage indicators and a base design that looks like it might dissipate heat well....all in a nice compact package. Also is using the XM-L U2 emitters. The only question is how bright are they. So far no one has been complaining. Yeah, I might buy one just to screw around with. I've ordered from Manafont before without too many problems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thought I'd add another supplier that has it a little cheaper and free shipping.

Newegg retailer 37.99 shipped

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Do these plugs on these lamps work with the Magic Shine batteries? Looks like it, but wanted to know before pulling the trigger on one.

Edit found my answer by actually reading the thread.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    1072mAh on discharge, how is that even possible? Thats a new record for low capacity batteries from everything that I've tested. Gotta open it up tomorrow and measure capacity of every cell
    Just opened the battery...here is what i found inside (bad battery on the left, good battery on the right for comparison):

2 cells are just not connected to anything, guy who was spot-welding them probably wanted to finish his shift earlier.
    Quality control? Who needs quality control?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Do you think the X2 is better than the D-50 as a helmet light?

I'm thinking the D-50 from fasttech might be better as its got the better battery case and I can upgrade it easily to some panasonics.

$54.05 UltraFire D-50 2*Cree XM-L U2 4-Mode 1800-Lumen White LED Headlamp - black / 1*battery pack (4*18650 / 4400mAh / 2S2P) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    X2 is lighter than D-50 so I would say yes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    X2 is lighter than D-50 so I would say yes.
    Ok, I was looking at the D-50 as the battery was easy to change to better batteries, is there a consensus on any of the X2's that have a decent battery or do I need to buy another battery or get the screw together holder and panasonic?

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Well imo all chinese batteries are crap, even good ones will have 2000mAh cells inside.
    Its probably better to buy the light alone and the buy a holder + samsung 2600/panasonic 2900-3100-3400 cells for it.
    8 4V 6600mAh Aluminum Shell Rechargeable Battery FOR XM L T6 LED Bike Headlight | eBay btw there is a holder for $16 shipped.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Well imo all chinese batteries are crap, even good ones will have 2000mAh cells inside.
    Its probably better to buy the light alone and the buy a holder + samsung 2600/panasonic 2900-3100-3400 cells for it.
    8 4V 6600mAh Aluminum Shell Rechargeable Battery FOR XM L T6 LED Bike Headlight | eBay btw there is a holder for $16 shipped.
    Do you know if this connector works with magic shine lights? Thanks.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    It should work (same 5.5x2.1mm metal connector) but you may have to cut some of the rubber from the connector.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Maybe this has been done but can someone provide a link to the good cells. Thx

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks Kir. As long as I don't have to solder.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

That's was the way I was leaning as well. Will look at just getting the lamp and then order the battery unit and some good cells.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It should work (same 5.5x2.1mm metal connector) but you may have to cut some of the rubber from the connector.
    Would I be able to charge the batteries in the holder or will I have to get a separate charger if I replace the cells?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Another Solarstorm X3. This one looks much better:
    SolarStorm X3 3 x Cree XM-L T6 2000lm 4-Mode White Bike Light - Deep Pink (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I have no idea if it's the real deal or a clone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    Maybe this has been done but can someone provide a link to the good cells. Thx
    MB, a good "one stop" shopping link for 18650 cells is on the "Fasttech" web site. They also have some pretty good prices. Heck, for what I paid for one Panasonic ( somewhere else ) I could of had two from Fasttech. They have all the good brands ( Panasonic, Samsung, Sanyo ) as well as some off brands that sometimes get honorable mention.

Word of warning; Just be sure to read all the product descriptions so you know what you are buying. If you want "protected cells" make sure you read that in the product description. Be careful if you are considering some of the Samsung "ICR" type 18650's. Those cells sometimes have a peak voltage of 4.35 volts. ( vs. normal 18650 Li-ion cells with have a peak voltage of 4.2 ) If you buy the higher voltage cells you will need a different ( special ) charger to get the battery to it's peak voltage. Yes, I do believe Fasttech sells both kinds of chargers.

Fasttech has a bunch of interesting gadgets. After looking over what they have I see a bunch of stuff I'd like to have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Another Solarstorm X3. This one looks much better:
    SolarStorm X3 3 x Cree XM-L T6 2000lm 4-Mode White Bike Light - Deep Pink (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I have no idea if it's the real deal or a clone.
    VERY INTERESTING!...I've not seen these anywhere else. Look's like D/X is releasing some new lamps. I might have to give Mr. Joesph a shout to see if he wants one of these reviewed. No telling how this lamp operates it's mode changes. It might do the 1-2-3 led illumination thing to give you three modes. The center LED looks to have a bigger reflector. This might give the lamp more throw. The only down side as I see it is that it is only using standard XM-L T-6 emitters. I'd rather it have the U2 but still, I wouldn't mind taking a look at this baby.

Looks like D/X is gearing up for the night season.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    How long do you think a X2 would run off 2x 3100/3400 panasonics or the likes? Just wondering if I buy just the X2 and build a small battery pack from a 2 battery holder with PCM and cable that I can velco to my helmet. Could make a second and put in my pocket incase but most of my night riders would be under an hour so do you think I could get that long from 2 good cells?

Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast