Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Oh yes, these photos were funny when I saw them on ebay It was our stuff we posted here but really don't know the page number. Also Kir should have some photos of his X2 - he has a big collection of various versions across whole China Basically if the driver works and is soldered OK then no worry no matter if is red, green, blue, black, ... I would stick with the one the light came to the moment it stops working and look for a replacement thereafter. ... and to those pills, if they get loose drop some thermal compound and you'll be fine. The reflector should hold these pills firmly - this should be checked and if not you may add some spacers/insulators also.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    And the cheapest choice name brand protected batteries to use with it are these protected Samsungs from Banggood:4PCS 18650 3.7V 2600mah Lithium Rechargeable Battery For Samsung - US$18.65 I bought 2 sets of 4 batteries and they are genuine Samsungs (also verified by BLF members). Thats's a great deal!

They also shipped out within 24hrs and I had them in about 2 weeks. Keep in mind the lithium ion international shipping issues. These shipped Malaysia Post which has horrible tracking (tracking fine once it hit US) and is usually known to be slow. Guess I got lucky. Banggood has also had a decent reputation over at BLF lately.

-Garry
    Hello Garry!

I also got the head-only from LightMalls so I now need a proper battery. I got the battery box currently on dx, but it has no protection circuit module. Are those 18650 still the best deal around for good protected cells?

EDIT: Found this: Wholesale Buy UltraFire 18650 3.7V 3000mAh Protected Li-ion Rechargeable Battery - Online WHolesale Worldwide Free Shipping!!! Isn't Ultrafire a good brand? I know Samsung is better, but these are also very cheap.
    Last edited by MojoRisin; 07-25-2014 at 03:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Don't EVER buy UltraFire batteries! Almost always junk recycled cells and can be very dangerous. Stick with name brands. I don't know what the best current deal is, sorry.
    -Garry

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    @MojoRisin Samsung is very good deal. Per my tests they deliver full 2600mAh up to 3A. You'll hardly get better price elsewhere. I can recomed them. Don't ever think to buy any ...Fire batteries, expecialy cheap ones! They are more or less trash, throwing money in the toilet. With Samsung you'll be happy for 5+ years if treat them right.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Ok, everybody! Thanks Will get the samsung pack for sure then.

mtbr member
    I'm going to take my chances and buy an X2. I think I am going to go with the light head only from Lightmalls.

I would like to try swapping the reflectors for TIR optics. I know some of you have have been down this road before, but I can't find posts/threads on this. Can someone provide me links or point me in the right direction. Ideas on which TIRs fit would be appreciated. I do have a selection of TIRs from LED-DNA. I am looking for wide flood while maintaining some throw. My X3 is great, but it consumes a lot of battery power, hence the idea to drop back to the X2.

Thanks,
    Garry

mtbr member
    Uh oh! Did some searching and spotted this user's report on the Lightmalls X2. Ugh! Guess there is no "good one" to go after, or does anyone know of a better one?

-Garry

mtbr member

X2 Type LED Lights

I tried the china game, too far, too slow, shipping eats up your refunds.

Now I have some Amazon chinacheepies(see amazon links below) that all came with 2 day shipping

I have one of these X2 TYPE on my helmet, 2600 chinese Lumen 2x CREE XML U2 LED

This looks pretty awesome, SecurityIng® 6000LM 5 x CREE XM-L T6 LED

lots to choose from, SecurityIng : Cycling

I have a 4xCREE light on my bars with a 6 cell battery.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You can try what patski suggests. I believe you can't get the "original one" today ... too much solarstormified versions around

Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    Uh oh! Did some searching and spotted this user's report on the Lightmalls X2. Ugh! Guess there is no "good one" to go after, or does anyone know of a better one?

-Garry

mtbr member

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

I haven't tested these AMZN cheepies under normal winter conditions as the Folsom Lake area has had two extra dry winters in a row. My old ebay chinacheepies failed miserably in wet weather. My original TriNewt is still chugging along, seems dim now tho.

MK96, Where in Euroland r u? Does Amazon carry these lights?

Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    You can try what patski suggests. I believe you can't get the "original one" today ... too much solarstormified versions around

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I live in East Euroland - Slovakia. Amazon should be here in a couple of months, but don't know if this stuff will be available here. There are several posts here on forums about securitying without any bigger complaints so I supported your post

Anyway my chinacheepies hold quite fine even in wet conditions, just need to drop silicone where it is needed to prevent water/moisture to get into the light.

mtbr member

My solarstorm review.

mtbr member
    We have a user over at BudgetLightForum who has an X2 clone with lousy heatsinking and has found one way to try and address it (mod in post#8).

-Garry

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    informative post, thanks

mtbr member
    Nice, Peter Sagan sure has raised your profile...

We have a good friend from Trnava, back in '91 we did a 10day ski trip in .sk, Chopok and the High Tatras.... Huge snow year.

Winter here usually means +10C and wet, lights and drivetrains take a beating.

Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    I live in East Euroland - Slovakia. Anyway my chinacheepies hold quite fine even in wet conditions, just need to drop silicone where it is needed to prevent water/moisture to get into the light.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes I'd say he did Beat me ... you know .sk wonderland? I am shocked Most of recent .sk winters are warm now -1C till 4C I use my budgets in dense fog also and they go well even when my helmet is totally wet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I ordered a Solarstorm X2 from a seller on Amazon. Light seemed to work fine - nice and bright with good wide pattern and decent throw. Didn't get hot to the touch at all even when run on high. After reading posts in this forum I decided to open it up and check the heatsink/pill situation and found this:

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-solarstorm.jpg

Already appeared to be dark burn marks on the board. Disappointing because the light performs well otherwise, and my Amazon 808 clone lights are still going strong after 3 seasons. I'm returning it to Amazon and am going to try the "Securitying" version instead. Hopefully the quality on those is a bit better. Borrowed the pic from Budgetlightforum.

mtbr member
    Yep, always have to tear down and check the Chinese lights! Especially these SolarStorm X2's which have been cloned to death and are known to have gone downhill. Not getting hot is usually a bad thing, not a good thing. You want to feel that the heat from the LED is being pulled away and into the body of the light.

What is pointed out in that pic isn't too bad in and of itself. The problem is what does that (emitter board) mount to in the body of the light? I assume yours is like the post that pic originally came from in that the emitter board only sat on a thin "lip" or "shelf" with no "press fit" pills which they used to come with (which my SS X3 does have). There's an idea - you may be better off going with the X3 which doesn't seem to have been cloned to death.

By the way, the pic you borrowed from BLF was borrowed from MTBR (so it came full circle).

Let us know how the Securitying version is.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    No pills behind the emitter board. The board just sat on the lip inside the housing. I will open up the Securitying light when I get it and post pics here.

mtbr member
    While the builds aren't inspiring these little SSX2's get the job done and that on a shoestring budget. Like what was said the thickness of the board ( while it could be better ) is not the main issue. It would just be better if the contact area had ...well, more contact. I've not tried to take mine apart and don't plan too. Actually I'm waiting for the upgraded versions with either XM-L2 ( U2 ) or XP-L ( if or when they actually make those )

In the mean time for the novice or occasional night rider these little lamps are light-weight, have a small footprint, decent UI and provide a nice amount of light. So far I've not heard of too many cases of these failing due to the LED's burning out. If you spent $24 for just the light-head and get two years use out of it then you've got more than your money's worth.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the reality check Cat-man-do. I paid $24 for the light, charger, and battery. Lights this good would have cost 20 times this much just a few years ago. I'm sure it will meet my needs.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    So far I've not heard of too many cases of these failing due to the LED's burning out.
    I suspect that is because folks don't want to be hear "I told you so" or "what did you expect?". They just silently chuck the POS in the bin and move on.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004

Re: SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    I suspect that is because folks don't want to be hear "I told you so" or "what did you expect?". They just silently chuck the POS in the bin and move on.
    Or they're still happy with them...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Or they're still happy with them...
    ^This!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Received the "Securitying" version of this light yesterday. The packaging was more impressive than the first Solarstorm I received from Amazon, but it appears to be constructed identically. The emitter board is a single piece of aluminum that sits on the lip inside the housing without pills or thermal paste.

Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 LastLast