Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks Kir,

So I have to warn you guys - if you buy additional battery pack from Fasttech - check the connector size. They list it as "5.5 mm" size, but say nothing about pin size.

This one:
    $10.53 8.4V 4400mAh 2S2P 4*18650 Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery Pack - DC port 5.5mm / 500 times rechargeable at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    has 5.5/2.5 connector which wont fit

These have proper 5.5/2.1 connectors:
    $22.58 8.4V 8000mAh 2S2P 4*26650 Battery Pack - DC port 5.5mm / 500 times rechargeable at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    $16.29 8.4V 6600mAh 2S3P 6*18650 Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery Pack - DC port 5.5mm / 500 times rechargeable at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

They really should inform about that...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    Ok, let's be correct - it is a MS pack from DX. If you want to use the pack alone after some time when the cells would be weak, it is difficult to replace them. That was my original idea
    I have some experience with the MS pack from DX, having written the review referred to (also on these forums). After 2.5 years, the cells in my pack have aged & are now of different capacity, ie time for a replacement.

I intend to simply replace the cells with some nice Panasonic or Sanyo cells. Solder tabs are nice & easy, but you can solder direct to the cells.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    [QUOTE=calzone;10673725]Thanks Kir,

So I have to warn you guys - if you buy additional battery pack from Fasttech - check the connector size. They list it as "5.5 mm" size, but say nothing about pin size.

This one:
    $10.53 8.4V 4400mAh 2S2P 4*18650 Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery Pack - DC port 5.5mm / 500 times rechargeable at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    has 5.5/2.5 connector which wont fit

These have proper 5.5/2.1 connectors:
    $22.58 8.4V 8000mAh 2S2P 4*26650 Battery Pack - DC port 5.5mm / 500 times rechargeable at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    $16.29 8.4V 6600mAh 2S3P 6*18650 Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery Pack - DC port 5.5mm / 500 times rechargeable at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

So will both the bottom two batteries work with the SSX2.
    How long run time will the 8000 mAh give and will this be able to be charged with my original SSX2 charger?

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    3, maybe 3.5 hours on high. Real capacity is ~6100mAh.
    Yes, you can charge it with your charger.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So best to get another 4x18650 and use a splitter cable (would this work) or get a 4x26650

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Quote Originally Posted by calzone View Post
    Just got one of these. Black battery pack, cannnot say anything about capacity yet. The lamp quality seems good, here are my current draw measurements (external PSU, stabilized 8.4V):

max mode: 2.13 A (2130 mA),
    mid mode: .85 A (850 mA), fluctuates from 0.8 to 0.9
    min mode: .03A (30 ma), fluctuates from 0.025 to 0.035

So there is plenty of light in max mode, lamp is getting very hot quickly.
    How is that one going? I ordered one after getting a refund from ali ex for my defective ssx2. It took some doing but I got a full refund without sending mine back. Looking forward to the arrival. How is yours in brightness and workmanship, not concerned about battery qual.

Ive ordered some 16mm star U2 leds so I can rebuild the ssx2 as well.

Sent from my GT-I9195T using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yes, IF they send them with the connectors exactly as pictured.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
    How is that one going? I ordered one after getting a refund from ali ex for my defective ssx2. It took some doing but I got a full refund without sending mine back. Looking forward to the arrival. How is yours in brightness and workmanship, not concerned about battery qual.
    This lamp looks very good, although I did not disassemble it, so I don't know what's inside. I was a little concerned about heat dissipation, but during actual ride it was no problem. In high mode lamp was just a little warm. Medium mode (BTW: 3h20min on stock battery) gives absolutely enough light for average MTB speeds, high would be useful for very fast descents, if any.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Thanks I'm planning on it beig a helmet mount as the 4xml ive got on the bars blazes. Had it up against guys with multiple ay up set ups and they were dim in comparison. Mind you the 4x is heavier. Cheers for the update

On the topic of batteries, can I easily convert a 4 cell into a two cell for the helmet?

Sent from my GT-I9195T using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Lightfoot; 09-14-2013 at 06:48 PM.

mtbr member

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Anyone happen to know the dimensions of the reflectors on this? My "smooth" reflectors are poorly made and I want to replace them with OP reflectors. I think it takes a 1mm hex key to unscrew and all I have is a 1.5 and a .05", which is too small.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Anyone happen to know the dimensions of the reflectors on this? My "smooth" reflectors are poorly made and I want to replace them with OP reflectors. I think it takes a 1mm hex key to unscrew and all I have is a 1.5 and a .05", which is too small.
    Look at the last photo on FT product page, it has all the reflector dimensions: $40.73 SolarStorm X2 Cree XM-L U2 4-Mode 2000-Lumen LED Bicycle Bike Light - black / 4*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I think actually the screws on the front are something like 1.25-1.30mm hex. I've got a tool kit coming soon that I hope has the right size, but I was able to unscrew them with a flat bladed screw driver that was just the perfect width... just be careful not to strip out the heads.

mtbr member

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    Look at the last photo on FT product page, it has all the reflector dimensions: $40.73 SolarStorm X2 Cree XM-L U2 4-Mode 2000-Lumen LED Bicycle Bike Light - black / 4*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I think actually the screws on the front are something like 1.25-1.30mm hex. I've got a tool kit coming soon that I hope has the right size, but I was able to unscrew them with a flat bladed screw driver that was just the perfect width... just be careful not to strip out the heads.
    Thanks! Too bad I can't seem to find that size reflector anywhere.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Look at the LAST picture, on the FastTech page, in full size. The measurments are overlayed on the picture.

I suspect the finding a suitable OP replacement will be challenging. I've seen a suggestion over on CPF or BLF on a way to turn a SMO reflector, into a OP. With the reflector out of the lamp, give it a quick sprits with a clear acrylic spray.

I'm not sure if the heat build up in there would be enough to cause problems later on, but it certainly sounds like an interesting idea.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So I measured the draw from my SSX2 from lightmalls at 7.4 and 8.4 in low mid and high modes and results are here:
    7.4V:
    0.15A
    0.49A
    1.88A

8.4V:
    0.24A
    0.72A
    1.87A

I measured on both heads, so at least they are the same

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Since no-one made any beamshots I've decided to take a few photos of my Magicshine MJ-808 and X2. P7 LED in mj-808 was changed for XML-u3.
    I've expected higher difference between the lights.

Mj-808 low:

Mj-808 high:

x2 low:

x2 medium:

x2 high:

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the beamshots Snakes. There doesn't to be as much of a difference as I thought there would be. I'm surprised by this. Did you take the pictures with a constant time and exposure settings?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yes, fixed settings:
    ISO100, f3.2, 2", whitebalance daylight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think there is pretty much difference in the flood of 808 and X2 on high and there is less difference in throw. But X2 seems brighter and floodier.
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Thanks for the beamshots Snakes. There doesn't to be as much of a difference as I thought there would be. I'm surprised by this. Did you take the pictures with a constant time and exposure settings?

mtbr member
    I think there is pretty much difference in the flood of 808 and X2 on high and there is less difference in throw. But X2 seems brighter and floodier.
    Since I own both lamps I would have to agree...^^

I don't think the photo's do either lamp justice. No reference to distance so pretty much useless. The X2 would work very well either as a bar or helmet lamp but the 808E I have is better as a helmet lamp. Not that it ( 808E ) couldn't be used on the bars but most people would want something wider.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Here you can get version with OP reflector and battery indicator on top:
    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S022532

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The shot of SSX2 is a bit shifted to the left, but SSX2 seems flodier and brighter when I compare the intensity of the light pointing on same objects on the photo But I think it is as bright as my Skyray S6 (same draw, but S6 is 3 * T6 and X2 is 2 * U2). I also forgot to write the lightmalls X2 version is also slow flash

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    another new version

Quote Originally Posted by Snakes View Post

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I wonder why there are two indicators. Could the other tell you which mode you are in. That could be somewhat useful. They don't look very water resistant though.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    I wonder why there are two indicators. Could the other tell you which mode you are in. That could be somewhat useful. They don't look very water resistant though.
    Because it just looks better with 2 indicators
    LetterFire LF-22 2 x CREE XM-L T6 1000lm 3-Mode White Bicycle Headlight - Silver (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    Here is a white version on DX, read the description. These are simple green-red indicators, they won't tell you anything about the modes.
    Btw this version also has an interesting battery pack, it could be simular to D-50 one. I ordered this white version to try it myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hopefully reflector has the same dimensions and will be available aftermarket...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Perhaps, but is missing some screws on the reflector side of the light It'll be glued ...
    Hopefully reflector has the same dimensions and will be available aftermarket...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    There is also a new version at lightmalls, the funny part is the indicator is on the left side or the right side

mtbr member
    There is also a new version at lightmalls, the funny part is the indicator is on the left side or the right side
    Ah...some of those are "Light head Only"...sweet, good price.

Well, if you're one of those people who were riding with just a single 808 or single emitter MS clone on your bars...These things are calling your name.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Ah...some of those are "Light head Only"...sweet, good price.

Well, if you're one of those people who were riding with just a single 808 or single emitter MS clone on your bars...These things are calling your name.

Now.... You stop that!

Must...resist...bright lights...the colors...oohhh, shiny!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    How is lightmalls? Are they reliable?

Having the battery indicators on top is way worse than having them on the back, it will shine straight into your eyes! Reading the description on dx, it appears that the light may come with two mode groups. It's hard to tell though, it's so poorly written. That could be a useful feature.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have the older version with the indicators on the back. But so far so good. If I have some time I take it apart and post some shots. But the shipping was quite quick from lightmalls, I have mine for about 2 weeks - can't remember exactly.

How is lightmalls? Are they reliable?

Having the battery indicators on top is way worse than having them on the back, it will shine straight into your eyes! Reading the description on dx, it appears that the light may come with two mode groups. It's hard to tell though, it's so poorly written. That could be a useful feature.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have the older version with the indicators on the back. But so far so good. If I have some time I take it apart and post some shots. But the shipping was quite quick from lightmalls, I have mine for about 2 weeks - can't remember exactly.
    How are the modes arranged on your light? Is it low-med-high-flash-OFF--low..
    Or is it press-and-hold for the flash mode.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Anyway, will this work to join 2 SS X2 heads together? The right one should be 5.5 x 2.1 mm or?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    It will work, if you remove rubber O-rings from X2 connectors.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It is low-med-high-off-low-... and long press for slow flash and that is what I like about this one button setup and hidden slow flash

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That is what I wanted to hear, thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    It will work, if you remove rubber O-rings from X2 connectors.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    You're welcome!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Sv: SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Here is some pictures of the inner workings of the light.

Mod Solarstorm/Fandyfire X2?

Skickat från min GT-I9300 med Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It is low-med-high-off-low-... and long press for slow flash and that is what I like about this one button setup and hidden slow flash
    That's great, thanks for the info. I hate when they put the flash mode into the regular mode rotation. I might have to get one of these.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    you're welcome

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hey guys, the lighmalls version seems to have different driver circuit, although I have not compared it with Kir's photos. But the first difference is the PCB green color instead of black Current drain numbers are somewhere before this post.

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-dsc_0005.jpg
    SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-dsc_0012.jpg
    SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-dsc_0011.jpg

mtbr member
    I'm a bit of a lighing noob (my only light is a niterider 600). I just ordered a "welltop" light from amazon that appears to be the same as the lights discussed here. What do you guys think? I paid $25 shipped so I won't be too disappointed if it's crap, but it seemed like a good gamble.

Amazon Welltop

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I noticed that the driver is listed as High-Mid-Low, which is reverse of the SolarStorm one I have. There is no mention of Hold for Flash mode. When you get it, please report back on the mode arrangement.

The picture sure looks like the SolarStorm logo and X2 markings

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Interesting...my thoughts....Somewhat ugly but if you must have a three emitter lamp this could be the most functional. Likely good at heat dissipation as well. Personally, I like the smaller form factor of the duel emitter lamps. If the Solarstorm X2 comes out in a XM-L2 version I might just buy one. ( Unless Gloworm comes out with an XM-L2 version of their *X2 first ... * not to be confused with the Solorstorm X2 )

Strange though that they claim this lamp is 6000 lumen.
    Lightmalls selling just the head for a cheap price... You rides are not gonna be the same after this light.... Its calling you name Cat-man-do. kkkkkkkkkkkk

Black Color SolarStorm X3 3xCree XM-L U2 4-Modes 2500-lumen Bicycle Light (4*18650 Battery) - 3LED Bike Light - Led Bike Light - Bicycle Light & Headlamp Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

I just made a product request at FT so they carry the new X3 with the new battery case shown at Blackshadow's website and I am waiting for the reply.

Solarstorm X3 brand quality best bicycle light, View best bicycle light, Solarstorm Product Details from Shenzhen Blackshadow Technology Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

This battery case rocks and if you buy 4 panasonic 18650 of 3400mah to go with it, we would get around 6800mah. Holybible!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    But the price for the head is more that for 2x SSX2 You can go better with 2x SSX2 as I did.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Hope

But the price for the head is more that for 2x SSX2 You can go better with 2x SSX2 as I did.
    That is a very good point MK96. Certainly this is the best cost efective decidion. But that beam pattern that comes stock should be woth the try on the head though... I dont know. The build quality and moding capabilities (that i dont know about) of the SS x2 seem so good that this could be a beast in a small form factor (when compared to the MS 3 led clone).

If it does deliver anywhere close to 2000 lumens, with that beam pattern, this would make the best bars mounted lamp right now?

The truth is... I just fell silly riding a Road Bike with two lamps LMAO

But you are right, one could just buy 2 SSx2 and have a great power and within a small budget.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lichitisky View Post
    Lightmalls selling just the head for a cheap price... You rides are not gonna be the same after this light.... Its calling you name Cat-man-do. kkkkkkkkkkkk

Black Color SolarStorm X3 3xCree XM-L U2 4-Modes 2500-lumen Bicycle Light (4*18650 Battery) - 3LED Bike Light - Led Bike Light - Bicycle Light & Headlamp Worldwide Free Shipping!!!
    Actually, I already have one on the way being supplied by D/X for review. It should be here by next week hopefully. One of the D/X versions has a 6A driver. I thought that worthy to be reviewed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    OMG whata lucky cat. Cant wait for this review. Please dont forget to mention the lens sizes for moding purposes.I new It was calling your name.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    6A driver? That would be too much for the heatsink - nearly 2A for each led - but a bunch of light. Well on a roadbike one SSX2 is just enough ;-)

mtbr member
    6A driver? That would be too much for the heatsink - nearly 2A for each led - but a bunch of light. Well on a roadbike one SSX2 is just enough ;-)
    That's a possibility. First thing I'll be testing for is thermal lux fade. Hopefully it will have some punch. I'll be comparing it to the tri-clone and the D/X 3-mode quad, all of these XM-L lamps. Results should be interesting. I'm getting ahead of myself though. I need to get the lamp first.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I just saw a crazy price for the Solarstorm x2 at Lightmalls:

20 bucks for the head only (red)
    30 buck for the black one with battery!

Buy SolarStorm X2 2000-lumen Dual Head Bicycle light With 2xCree XM-L U2 LED 4 Modes(4*18650 Battery) - lightmalls led bike online Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Actually, I already have one on the way being supplied by D/X for review. It should be here by next week hopefully. One of the D/X versions has a 6A driver. I thought that worthy to be reviewed.
    It's probably 2A per led, or three separate drivers chained together. Looking forward to the review Cat.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have the light head only version but it has a slightly different driver from the one that Kir has from fasttech. The next thing is the battery capacity as usual ;-)

Cat looking forward to read the review!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lichitisky View Post
    I just saw a crazy price for the Solarstorm x2 at Lightmalls:

20 bucks for the head only (red)
    30 buck for the black one with battery!

Buy SolarStorm X2 2000-lumen Dual Head Bicycle light With 2xCree XM-L U2 LED 4 Modes(4*18650 Battery) - lightmalls led bike online Worldwide Free Shipping!!!
    It looks like head only version has XML2 emitters.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    No it has XML U2, what you see is white plastic shim covering the green substrate.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It says XM-L2 LED and on the picture is XM-L2 emitter:
    SolarStorm X2 2*Cree XM-L2 2000-Lumen Led Bike Light head - RED(Head Lamp Only) - Bicycle Lights Lamp Cap - Bicycle Light & Headlamp Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

In description is written XML-U2 but it is copy/pastet. Who knows what you would get...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Well I got from them an XML U2 :-) They might have bought a different version from different factory, but the description is rather chaotic :-P

mtbr member
    May 2005
    In description is written XML-U2 but it is copy/pastet. Who knows what you would get...
    Easy to tell if you get XML or XML2 by the substrate color. What you can't tell is the bin. Highly doubt that the cheapo Chinese lights are going to use the premium bins. A Chinese U2 is probably more like a T4. Exaggerated Lumen values, exaggerated bin spec, what's the difference?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes who knows, at least someone who has a lux meter can measure the values. I think there is not a big difference in price T4, T6, U2 - they all are made in China. Perhaps they use bins that did not pass usual quality control and were thrown away, but are true T6, U2, ...

mtbr member
    Yes who knows, at least someone who has a lux meter can measure the values. I think there is not a big difference in price T4, T6, U2 - they all are made in China. Perhaps they use bins that did not pass usual quality control and were thrown away, but are true T6, U2, ...
    No, it doesn't work like that. The emitters are manufactured by Cree and according to Cree standards. To date I've not heard of anyone ordering a specific lamp with listed specific emitters and then not getting the listed emitter. ...Not that it can't happen. It just hasn't happened yet to my knowledge.

SolarStorm X2 2*Cree XM-L2 2000-Lumen Led Bike Light head - RED(Head Lamp Only) - Bicycle Lights Lamp Cap - Bicycle Light & Headlamp Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

Um....can't beat that price AND with XM-L2. Check the ad, nothing but XM-L2 that I see. Anyone who is still riding with a single emitter bar lamp and has a MS compatible battery; this is your wake up call.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I just ordered that light. Picture shows an XM-L2 and the description says XM-L2. Hopefully I get the same UI that MK96 has with an upgraded emitter. With shipping it was $28 and change. They are selling the older XM-L models for around $20. I figured getting the new emitter was worth a few extra dollars. There's some sort of Chinese holiday coming up (according to fasttech), so it might take forever to get the shipment.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I wrote at the beginning I would like to change the emitters when I got the light for XM-L2 and tune the current to some 2.5A. I haven't done that yet due to my free time. And now they are selling XM-L2 :-) But the driver might be the same - around 1.8-1.9A.

@Cat: That is a good knowledge. But the only way to figure that out is to measure it ;-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I wrote at the beginning I would like to change the emitters when I got the light for XM-L2 and tune the current to some 2.5A. I haven't done that yet due to my free time. And now they are selling XM-L2 :-) But the driver might be the same - around 1.8-1.9A.
    I'm not sure what the cheapest retail cost of two xm-l2 emitters, but ledsupply is selling them for $9.17 each. So the cost of two of them is nearly the cost of the x2 lighthead!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    perhaps fasttech sells them cheaper ... we'll see, $9 is too much :-(

Fasttech is definitely the place to get XM-L2 cheap. I put two of these $4.49 Cree XM-L2 T6-4C 10W 1100LM 4200-4500K Neutral White LED Emitter on 16mm Base Plate at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping in my X2 and I'm really pleased with the results. Hard to say if the light is significantly brighter, but the warmer tint was primarily why I changed the emitters.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I got used to cooler white color (about 6000K) since I have it also on a car headlight, one bike 3 XML clone and a pair of XML torches - all of them are this cooler white white white :-) I just want to drive the light slightly harder so I thought changing them for XM-L2 would be more temperature tolerant :-)

mtbr member

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

I know a lot of us are reading both threads, but I posted a mini review of both the 880 clone and the SSX2 in the 880 clone thread. Thought I might as well post it here, since it's pertinent:

I've had a couple of night rides on my SSX2 and this 880 clone, now, and I have to say that I'm pretty happy with the combination.

The 880 clone has a smooth beam patten with a gradual transition from spot to flood. Perfect for running on the bars. Low mode was great for climbing, and high was super bright, giving me no pause for speed on a couple of descents I'm fairly familiar with, though have only ridden a few times at night. The UI is great - one button for on/off, and another for low/mid/high (hold for strobe). Really, really like it, except for it being delivered with a severed cord. On my latest (longer) ride, I went for a two hour ride at dusk, ran it on low for an hour, and high for a half hour and never had it change from green.

The SSX2 was good, but not great. Their low and high intensities were pretty similar, but the mid on the 880 clone was much, much brighter than the SSX2. Often, I ran the X2 on mid while I had the 880 clone on low. Side by side, the X2 beam was brighter, but since the X2 was on my helmet, I had to have it brighter for it to not be overpowered by my bar light. On full bright, the X2 was great in the short to mid range, but diffused too much beyond 20 feet or so.

The other issue I had with the SSX2 is the beam pattern. My smooth reflector has a little lip in the middle (a defect), which causes a slightly darker spot in the middle of the hot spot. I'll bet it'd be just fine if it didn't have that problem.

In short, this is a pretty good setup for the kind of riding I'll be doing. I might be on the lookout for a helmet mount with better throw, though.

mtbr member
    ...The SSX2 was good, but not great. Their low and high intensities were pretty similar, but the mid on the 880 clone was much, much brighter than the SSX2. Often, I ran the X2 on mid while I had the 880 clone on low. Side by side, the X2 beam was brighter, but since the X2 was on my helmet, I had to have it brighter for it to not be overpowered by my bar light. On full bright, the X2 was great in the short to mid range, but diffused too much beyond 20 feet or so.

The other issue I had with the SSX2 is the beam pattern. My smooth reflector has a little lip in the middle (a defect), which causes a slightly darker spot in the middle of the hot spot. I'll bet it'd be just fine if it didn't have that problem.

In short, this is a pretty good setup for the kind of riding I'll be doing. I might be on the lookout for a helmet mount with better throw, though.
    When I use the X2 on the helmet I've noticed some of the same issues as you have. While it works well as a helmet light I miss the intensity/throw of the lamps that have bigger reflectors with single LED. All of the Duel set-ups just seem to work better on the bars.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ouch, how much cheaper can they go...
    Probably it is still worth to add a few $ more for XML2 version.

I've done my first ride with aliexpress SSX2 version for $32. After 2:15h of riding, (most of the time - on uphills on min brightness) indicator still showed 2 out of 3 lights, so the battery is not total crap.

mtbr member

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

When I use the X2 on the helmet I've noticed some of the same issues as you have. While it works well as a helmet light I miss the intensity/throw of the lamps that have bigger reflectors with single LED. All of the Duel set-ups just seem to work better on the bars.
    Any specific recommendations along these lines? Just need a light head...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    just recieved my FandyFire X3 from dx, just turned it on for a sec before charging battery pack. 4 mode, low, med, high, hold for flash. All three emiters on for different levels.

Shipped with cheapo battery pack. Any suggestions on a replacement waterpoof pack that will stap to the frame?

mtbr member

Solastorm X2 ( U2 ) vs. Gloworm X2 ( U2 ): Comparison

Took another ride tonight to try out the SSX2, this time on the bars and on my usual single track. Fall is never a good time for night riding. Leaves cover almost everything and adding to the dangers of hidden trail features/obstacles is the fact that the dark color of the leaves does much to lessen the throw of the lamps. This time of year the more light you have the better.

First thing I noticed was that the SSX2 was not so impressive in these conditions. I'm not saying it can't make a good bar light but compared to the Gloworm X2 the GW has it beat hands down. Plenty of throw from the SStorm but not near the peripheral coverage of the Gloworm. Not to mention the GW had a more pleasant/smoother beam pattern. The juxtaposition of the lamps beam patterns became more apparent when on twisty trails. The only way to make the Solarstorm more usable was to point the lamp a little more downward. This helps some. The GW really doesn't need adjustment once you get it dialed in. Undoubtedly the SSX2 will do much better when trails are free of leaf clutter so I'm not totally dissing how well it might work as a bar lamp. On the helmet, the tighter beam pattern of the SSX2 is still better than the standard Gloworm X2. Looks like optics are the way to go if you want to bar mount a lamp. That said, people wanting a bar lamp might look to the new Duo Clones.

Just don't throw the SSX2 out yet though. When I exited the trail and started my 3 mile road ride back to the car I found the Solarstorm X2 does very well on the road. I would say it was "Awesome" for road use but that might be a little too exuberant. Very good light for the road and bright enough to use on low alone. I also tried the flash on the way to the trail and was very pleased with how easy it is to access and to turn off. This feature adds to it's "Road use" profile.

I probably shouldn't say this but if the Chinese get the idea to include a wired remote I wouldn't be surprised if they sold even more of these. Yes, indeed SSX2 with XM-L2's and choice of standard switch or remote, that could be a killer combo. Add some option for optics and these could give the big boys a real run for the money.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Cat,

Thanks for the update. I agree that this is a bad time to test lights with all the leaves. That withstanding, from the reviews I have read, I still consider this helmet-light-only for trail use. Having the light beam be that unevenly distributed would create so much confusion for near-field visibility. Also, the throw itself screams of being a helmet light.

I'm glad you brought up the road use. I still will likely buy one of these units at some point for exclusive road use, as I would like a permanent setup for my road bike instead of switching lights back and forth (I use blinking lights day or night). I forget, could you describe the flash again for the SSX2?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So after I order it, you guys tell me it's no good. Haha.

mtbr member
    Ordered on of these yesterday. It will be used on my helmet. My previously helmet mounted Magicshine 808 with move to the bars. I'll update when I get a ride in with it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    After reading this thread I decided to order a Solar Storm. I got it a few days ago and I do like it. But, one problem is that it gets very hot, to the point you wouldn't want to hold on to it for more that a few seconds.
    Is this normal or did I just get a bad one?

mtbr member

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

The idea is that the only reason you'd need to run it on high is at high speed. Without any air circulation, it's gonna get hot. It should be fine on the trail.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Its normal for SSX2, it has a very lightweight case and is not meant to be used as a flashlight or while standing still - it will overheat very fast.
    Use high/medium modes only while riding, it will be cooled by air.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I too jumped on the SS x2 wagon. Just received them from lightmalls, $70ish shipped for two.

Discharged both batteries with the lights, the first one caused a "connection break" error on my hobby charger, the other battery took about 2000 mah. So, my batteries suck. I'll be using the packs that I got last year with the mini Cree I ordered (tested around 3700 mah at that time, though I should test them again).

Only other thing I tested was amp draw which I don't think has been reported.

Battery no load voltage = 8.35v (year old mini Cree battery)
    Low = 0.37 amps @ 8.06v
    Med = 1.01 amps @ 7.54v
    High = 1.73 amps @ 6.94v

Stock battery no load voltage = 8.09v
    Low = 0.34 amps @ 7.78v
    Med = 0.93 amps @ 7.35v
    High = 1.60 amps @ 6.86v

mtbr member
    can you buy the SSX2 on amazon from a US seller? saw a link a couple pages ago but they are gone. not sure if it was a us seller.

this seems to be the cheapest:

how long does the stock battery last on high and medium? I'm reading the SSX2 is good for the helmet. I guess you gotta use a camelbak for the battery? what are you using to mount the SSX2 to the helmet?

as far as handlebar goes, I'm thinking one or two of these:

Amazon.com: 4 Mode 1200 Lumen CREE XML T6 Bulb LED Bicycle bike HeadLight Lamp Flashlight Light Headlamp: Sports & Outdoors

would 3 lights be too much? I don't want weird effects to happen with so many shadows.

thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks to scvkurt0 and Kir for the info and the quick reply.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    When riding it is not overheating, even on slower technical sections it was fine on high.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe3 View Post
    how long does the stock battery last on high and medium? I'm reading the SSX2 is good for the helmet. I guess you gotta use a camelbak for the battery? what are you using to mount the SSX2 to the helmet?
    It depends what battery you get, they are not all the same, depends on luck.

I was ridding a few days ago. My light was somewhere between 40-60 minutes on low and 1 hour on high. When I got to the car indicator showed 1 out of 3 leds, so it still had some power.

For mounting on helmet I am using this mount:
    Cheap Velcro Binding Band for SKU 29489/30864 (35CM)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Grumpy View Post
    Only other thing I tested was amp draw which I don't think has been reported.
    Yes it has been reported by Kir and me (but I have slightly different driver)

When riding it is not overheating, even on slower technical sections it was fine on high.

It depends what battery you get, they are not all the same, depends on luck.
    It also depends on the environment temp, I ride in about 12 deg. C env. so it is not overheating. The battery is hit or miss with chinese lights. It has been written a lot, so I am runnig lipo and backup 4 x 26650 4500 mAh cells with my own indication. And I buy the head only - for the saved money I can buy spare cells

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yeah of course, also environment temp is important. I usually ride with lights from autumn until spring when days are shorter and temperature is low.
    This summer I had an overheating problem with MJ808 which has only one led...

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Grumpy View Post
    Discharged both batteries with the lights, the first one caused a "connection break" error on my hobby charger, the other battery took about 2000 mah.
    Battery no load voltage = 8.35v (year old mini Cree battery)
    Low = 0.37 amps @ 8.06v
    Med = 1.01 amps @ 7.54v
    High = 1.73 amps @ 6.94v
    "connection break" error on my hobby charger usually means that protection pcb activated and cut off the cells from connector. And that means that cells are _very_ unbalanced and one pair has much lower capacity. Pretty common thing for chinese batteries, most of them are horrible.
    Current draw depends on your SSX2 version, there are loads of them. I'm preparing my own review of SSX2 where I will compare different versions and different drivers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yes it has been reported by Kir and me (but I have slightly different driver)
    Oops, didn't see them. Ahh well, the more info the better?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    "connection break" error on my hobby charger usually means that protection pcb activated and cut off the cells from connector. And that means that cells are _very_ unbalanced and one pair has much lower capacity. Pretty common thing for chinese batteries, most of them are horrible.
    Current draw depends on your SSX2 version, there are loads of them. I'm preparing my own review of SSX2 where I will compare different versions and different drivers.
    Ya, I saw that in one of your previous posts (connection break). Look forward to your detailed review! Hurry up with those SS battery boxes as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Anyone else notice the new SS 3x and 4x ST40 and ST30 models:

http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S022584
    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S022583

Completely different design than the other 2x and 3x models. Still not XML-2 though..

Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post
    Anyone else notice the new SS 3x and 4x ST40 and ST30 models:

http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S022584
    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S022583

Completely different design than the other 2x and 3x models. Still not XML-2 though..
    I also don't get why they haven't moved to XM-L2 given they seem to cost less than XM-L. I'm wondering which battery pack the XT30 and 40 come with? I'd definitely want the new BC-1 that some sellers show as an option for the X3.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    Looking forward Kir!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    I also don't get why they haven't moved to XM-L2 given they seem to cost less than XM-L.
    Using up old inventory?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The cree led - xm-l vs xm-l2 :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The cree led - xm-l vs xm-l2 :-)
    Yeah, there's no point in buying the old stuff now just to save a few bucks.

mtbr member
    where would I get a high quality battery pack for the SSX2?

mtbr member
    where would I get a high quality battery pack for the SSX2?
    Gabe, find "The Battery Thread" in the forum thread listing. Although outdated a bit read over the first page listings and then jump to the last couple pages of the thread to find the more recent offerings.

I will point out that both Action LED and Xeccon ( MTB Revolution Australia ) have some great deals on quality batteries. Both vendors advertise on MTBR and will support what they sell.The later has their price listings in AUD so when converted to USD the price is generally a bit less.

Sooner or later I'll get around to updating The Battery Thread.

mtbr member

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

I'm no expert on these lights, but this definitely NOT the same as the FastTech SolarStorm. The SS is way brighter than the SecurityIng, much to my friend's dismay.

mtbr member
    I'm no expert on these lights, but this definitely NOT the same as the FastTech SolarStorm. The SS is way brighter than the SecurityIng, much to my friend's dismay.
    thats a bummer. I noticed the securitying doesn't have a solarstorm logo on it in the pictures on amazon. are the SSX2 at lightmalls.com FastTech? I don't see it say fasttech on the light in the pictures or description.

mtbr member

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

thats a bummer. I noticed the securitying doesn't have a solarstorm logo on it in the pictures on amazon. are the SSX2 at lightmalls.com FastTech? I don't see it say fasttech on the light in the pictures or description.
    FastTech is just an online retailer. I would assume that if it's branded as SolarStorm and if the specs are the same, it's the same light wherever you buy it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I would assume that if it's branded as SolarStorm and if the specs are the same, it's the same light wherever you buy it.
    FWIW the 2 MS P7 lights I have repaired while identical externally had different driver boards. Very similar but different enough to make me believe they came from different suppliers.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 21