Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Candlestick Maker
    Sweet! Wish I had not purchased the Trustfire TR-D010 and purchased one of these...
    baker

mtbr member
    Interesting...my thoughts....Somewhat ugly but if you must have a three emitter lamp this could be the most functional. Likely good at heat dissipation as well. Personally, I like the smaller form factor of the duel emitter lamps. If the Solarstorm X2 comes out in a XM-L2 version I might just buy one. ( Unless Gloworm comes out with an XM-L2 version of their *X2 first ... * not to be confused with the Solorstorm X2 )

Strange though that they claim this lamp is 6000 lumen.

mtbr member
    Ok this one looks a no-brainer for $38 (if the 5% discount coupon still works), even with a crappy battery. I'm going to order it.

The only potential downside to me is that the beam looks too throwy with a definite central hot spot. Has anyone come across a compatible optics that would make it more diffuse yet? I found some 23mm optics, but it appears that it would require some machining to fit.

Is the MJ-880 optics compatible? What about this one: Action-LED-Lights — Wide Angle Lens for the MJ-880 ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Solarstorm X2 on sale now

Hi guys,

Just want to let you know that DX has the Solarstorm X2 on sale for $43.50 right now, but with limited quantities. Other bike lights available at a discount and we are dispatching these from the warehouse within 72 hrs.

Solarstorm X2 Sale

We have the black and red available.

~joseph

mtbr member
    Its cheaper on AliExpress.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Aliexpress.com : Buy 2013Hotsale!! SolarStorm X2 Bike Light 2 CREE U2 LED 2000LM Waterproof Bicycle Light + Intelligent Power Indicate,Freeshiping from Reliable Bike Light suppliers on Shenzhen East Face Sci&Tech Co., Ltd
    Then go to "sale items", grab $3 off $30 coupon = new SS X2 for $32 shipped!
    Expect a crappy ~2000mAh battery though, but still worth it for the light alone.

Level 5 Rider!
    Kir, good deal that one. The other deal isn't bad either really.
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrystyan27 View Post
    No, it is contrary. If i will buy this light, i am planning to change the optics with aspherical ones.

For me, it isn't enough throw.
    Did you ever find optics replacement for the Solarstorm? If so, where?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    For less than $35, I plan to buy the SSX2. I see quite a few mentioned that this may come with crappy batteries. Can someone post a link to where I can get some quality batteries without mods. I just know it's 18650 batteries, but I don't know if they all have the same connections. I'm sure I'm using wrong terms here. But any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XCfanatic View Post
    For less than $35, I plan to buy the SSX2. I see quite a few mentioned that this may come with crappy batteries. Can someone post a link to where I can get some quality batteries without mods. I just know it's 18650 batteries, but I don't know if they all have the same connections. I'm sure I'm using wrong terms here. But any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    I've been waiting for the very same information. From what I can tell, this is a decent case (throw the batteries out):

4 x 18650 Battery Set for Bicycle Light-in Charger from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com

and you can get a good battery here:

$16.21 Panasonic NCR18650B Protected Rechargeable 3400mAh 3.7V 18650 Lithium Batteries 2-pack - authentic cells / 2-pack / overcharge + over-discharge protection at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Though I admit I don't know the difference between all the kinds on the drop-down. (assume flat, protected, but am not sure on the mAh)

I *think* this could allow you to build up a decent pack without needing to have soldering skills etc.

Wish I had more info, maybe someone can clarify or suggest something better.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    $14.79 Panasonic NCR18650B Rechargeable 3400mAh 3.7V 18650 Lithium Batteries 2-pack - authentic cells / 2-pack at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    You need these batteries to fit in that battery pack.
    Also these batteries have to be discharged to 2.7v to get full capacity out of them, not sure it that battery pack protection circuit will allow that...will test that a bit later.

And update on these $35 solarstorms - they actually have good batteries! Well, good for chinese batteries They have about 3300mAh capacity, I just tested 2 of them.
    So expect about 1.5 hours runtime on high and longer on low/medium - which is not bad, you could always use that battery as a spare one for long nite rides. For main battery I still recommend to get something with higher capacity.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thank you Kir and GH. Just placed the order for the SSX2. I'll see how the batteries go. For $35, not much to lose.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I just found the X2 - Light Head Only over on Ali Express.

SolarStorm X2 2*Cree XM-L U2 2000-Lumen Led Bike Light Head - Black (Without Battery Pack) + Free Shipping US $25.92

Are they going to start giving them away soon?

Of course Ali is a storefront for Many different sellers. It may be a race to the lowest price amongst retailers. I don't think you can directly compare Ali to an outlet like FastTech, which is a single store, with a consistent and better return policy.

I really like my X2, and was thinking of buying a second. I'm not sure I can turn down a backup light head for $26. Or should I buy it with an OK battery for $10 more?

mtbr member
    I've found that this light is jamming my wireless BBB BCP-32w cycle computer's transmission, rendering it unusable. That is pretty bad, and I'm now considering either switching to a wired computer (which I wouldn't like to do), or replacing the light's driver or the entire light.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post

SolarStorm X2 2*Cree XM-L U2 2000-Lumen Led Bike Light Head - Black (Without Battery Pack) + Free Shipping US $25.92

Of course Ali is a storefront for Many different sellers. It may be a race to the lowest price amongst retailers. I don't think you can directly compare Ali to an outlet like FastTech, which is a single store, with a consistent and better return policy.

I really like my X2, and was thinking of buying a second. I'm not sure I can turn down a backup light head for $26. Or should I buy it with an OK battery for $10 more?
    Nice find Ian! That's going to be hard to pass up. The complete set is just $34.99. It might be worth the extra cost for a spare battery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

So what battery pack would be best to get if you bought the light only?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Nice Find!!
    Inspired by Wall-E?
    SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-wall-e-wallpaper-wall-e-6412320-1280-800.jpg

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    2 more lights that are based on SSX2:
    http://kaidomain.com/product/details.S022347 different case, probably the same driver/leds/modes setup.
    NITEFIRE HERO2 3 x Cree XM-L U2 2100lm 4-Mode Cool White Bicycle Light - Black (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme 3rd led added between the 2 side leds, looks interesting.

Now for some bad news - I received another batch of SSX2s from ali for $35 and the batteries in them are HORRIBLE. Previous batch had batteries in black heatshrink and they had about 3500mAh capacity. Latest batch (from same seller, same item, same price) has blue heatshrink and these batteries have 1500-1600mAh capacity, made from 700-800mAh cells. This battery will last for about 40 minutes on high, here is a discharge graph from my Imax:

This is bad, but since even "good" 3500mAh batteries don't have enough capacity for a light that draws 2.3A on high - I don't really care, gonna replace the cells anyway. Still be warned that the new batches have completely unusable batteries.

mtbr member
    ^ Was just wondering about trying out the blue shrink wrapped batteries. Imo no biggie if its a throw away. Having no testing equipment, I need to rely on trustworthy resellers or dealers.

mtbr member

You have to be real careful when buying stuff from the Chinese web sites. On the link you provided the X2 being sold only has three modes, high-low-strobe. There is no mid-mode like with the other sellers. That would be the deal breaker for me.

D/X sells a version of the X2 under a different name. The ones they sell only list an output no more than 600 lumens. These things are being cloned like crazy. Be careful who you buy from.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Measured 2nd battery, its even worse!

1072mAh on discharge, how is that even possible? Thats a new record for low capacity batteries from everything that I've tested. Gotta open it up tomorrow and measure capacity of every cell, I can hardly believe that chinese manufacturers make 18650 cells with 500mAh capacity

These lights also have different, more simple driver - I've already seen 3 driver types in SSX2 bodies and spotted 4.2v versions on aliexpress (these ones have 2 leds indicator in the back). This light seems to be very popular and cloned in every possible way.

mtbr member
    I'll have to say when I did a quick indoor test last night of my ali SSX2, I was much less than impressed. New Action LED-Magicshine battery though, with 20min use on first charge up. Hope to try it out on the road tonight with a fresh charge.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So who's selling the good version?

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast