Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Detailed measurements of the reflectors on that thread. The DIY guys will be able to tells us which reflectors have similar dimensions. That would be useful if you want a more flood type beam. It currently looks very spotty to me.

mtbr member
    No, it is contrary. If i will buy this light, i am planning to change the optics with aspherical ones.

For me, it isn't enough throw.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The red Fandyfire version is only $38.43

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1285803

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I bought the black SolarStorm version from FastTech. What can I say, red isn't my thing, and Li stuff with Fire in the name is just scary, and hopefully not profetic.

Ordered 10 PM MST April 4. Used the cupon code "TENOFF" and got 5% off the order. Shipped April 7th (Happy Birthday to Me!)

When it shipped, my my order page showed a picture of my package and label. I hadn't run across that before. It was mildly comforting (Yes we really did ship your order - See!)

HK Post showed that the package finally made it out of Hongkong on April 13. Canada Post never showed anything with the tracking number. Received at my door April 19.

I'm quite pleased with the service from FastTech, and will order from them again.

I like to mode spacing on the light. While I haven't taken it out on the bike yet (heck haven't even taken the bike out yet), Low seems bright enough for road/pathway biking.

The lighthead is 93 grams as advertised.

Out of the box lighthead showed three dots. You know, a boy and his new toy -- I had to start playing without topping up the charge. Probably shone it around for 1/2 hr or more in all the various modes. Then left it on in low to see how long it would go. Not a real timed test. With the out-of-box charge, it ran on low for more than 6 hours plus whatever extra time I spent playing. I meant to turn it off before bed, but forgot about it. It was on one dot before I went to brush my teeth. The instruction sheet says that when the runtime is <30 minutes the last dot will flash. I didn't see it, so I can't vouch for that. The battery took about four hours to charge the next day (again not really timed.)

Battery connector seems well thought out. I have garden lighting with a simillar screw together connector. That stands up to all kinds of weather. The connector mates well with our standard batteries. It you look at the pictures, the orange O-ring goes inside the barrel of the standard connector, so it may even be more watertight than with my other light. It feels secure and snug as a bug in a rug.

Bar mounting O-rings appear to be silicone (or some other plastic) rather than rubber. I read somewhere on here that the silicone rings are more grippy than rubber ones. Time will tell.

My only critisism would be about the flash mode (not that I'm likely to use it.) SOP is that we should almost never use the highest mode on the road. The flash mode is a slow strobe between High and off. I wish it used to power level you were on when you did the "press & hold" to activate stobe mode.

It's nice to see that FastTech updated the listing by adding the disassembled picture (including measurments). It had originally been posted to the modding thread on their forum, in answer to Khrystyan27's question.

So far I'm pleased with this little guy. At least as of now, the battery seems ok, and better than some those E-water offerings. If you Need a less than $50 light, this seems like a good one to try.

mtbr member
    Nightshots?

Heating issues?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'v had the SolarStorm out on three rides so far, and I'm still very pleased with it.

I still haven't done official runtime tests, but from my casual observations the battery seems like it's decent quality.

As I've said before, it ran for more than six hours on low in the house.

Last night was my longest ride so far at 2:20. Ran it on medium the whole time. By the end it was down to the last of the three power level LEDs, but it wasn't flashing yet (which is supposed to indicate <30 minutes left). My ride was at -5 C (23 F). The chill would have taken some umph out of the power pack.

In building an extension to the expressway/ring road, the city is chopping a good chunk out of my playground. I figure if they're going to be so rude, I'm gonna rub it in their face, and sully their virgin tarmac by riding my bike down it. Part of this thing is complete with pavement, street lights (not on), and road signs. The overpasses are built, but not their associated connector roads and ramps. Once they finish the railway overpass, I'll have several more kilometers on which to spew my mountain bike contamination all over their motorway monstrosity. (Cue the evil laugh! )

The point of the story is that the road signs were lit up as if by car headlights. Both the SolarStorm and the Xeccon S12 (XM-L U2 version) had the same effect. I know they're bright from much further away, but I only thought to start measuring at 1.25 Km (.77 miles) out. I sure knew I was approaching dirt exit ramp to the non-existant connector road. I'll try and see how much further they pop, the next time I'm on there after dark.

The SolarStorm has a nice broad beam pattern for the bars. The city is pushing a lot of dirt around during the construciton. Each trip I have to pick out a new line across giant earth mover, four lane corduroy, to where my trail picks up on the other side. On medium, and paired with the X-12 I've certainly felt I had enough light to do that.

I've found a place for that may be a good spot for "Tunnel of Trees" beem shots. For the moment I'd rather get some more rides in, before I lug the camera, tripod, dollar store traffic cones and measuring tape out there. It's an uphill spot, so I have to wait for a clear skies night. City lights bouncing off the clouds would give too much of an orange background.

If you decide to purchase it from FastTech, don't forget the "TENOFF" cupon code (which ironically only give 5% off). That takes the light down to $44.21 USD, shipping included, with what seems to be a fiarly good battery. For those that can't afford the name brands, definatly a worthwhile contender.

And yes, I do carry a AA Planet Bike Blaze 2 as backup (currently using as my bliky), just in case both the both the SolarStorm and X-12 quit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    How big is the hot spot compared to a magicshine 808 (or a similar clone)? That's the million dollar question right now. Two leds should give us both more light and more of a spread beam.

Candlestick Maker
    I bought a couple SolarStorm's from FastTech. The lighthead seems pretty nice and the beam is decent. I like the fact that the strobe mode is hidden, although I wish it were completely gone. I'd rather the light cycled through L/M/H and repeated without the off. Then, a long press would turn off. I have no use for the strobe, but I understand others do.

I have done 3 discharge tests on my hobby charger and the reported capacities were 3333mah, 3404mah, and 3751mah. Not exactly high capacity packs, but what do you expect for $47 including the lighthead and charger...

I need to get out for some real night rides and report back. The around the yard messing about and comparing to other lights is promising.
    Last edited by baker; 05-05-2013 at 09:57 PM.
    baker

Candlestick Maker
    Just did a quick bit of twisty singletrack (as well as a fast dirt road descent / slow climb). The beam pattern seems a bit too floody for the helmet and a bit too spotty for the bars. So, that should make it the 650b of light patterns. Tons of light for <$100. The smaller o-ring is a bit sloppy for a 25.4 bar. Not terrible, but I'll probably use another tighter one I have laying around.

I took off the plastic mount for the helmet light and used my preferred method of 3M Dual Lock. Removing the mount leaves a threaded hole that does not penetrate the body of the light. Perfecto.

SolarStorm by bbaker22, on Flickr
    baker

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Just did a quick bit of twisty singletrack (as well as a fast dirt road descent / slow climb). The beam pattern seems a bit too floody for the helmet and a bit too spotty for the bars. So, that should make it the 650b of light patterns. Tons of light for <$100. The smaller o-ring is a bit sloppy for a 25.4 bar. Not terrible, but I'll probably use another tighter one I have laying around.
    I was afraid that it would be too spotty for bar-mount. Thanks for clearing that up. Nice helmet mount!

It's bad design that it turns off after high. That could be semi-dangerous.

Has anyone successfully swapped out the reflectors for a different type?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    I was afraid that it would be too spotty for bar-mount
    I would have to disagree. I use mine on the bars, and I think it's a great bar light. The spot is large and lights the full width of a two lane (under construction) highway. The throw is quite decent, and brihtens the trail well ahead of me.

My Xeccon S12 U2 thows further, and has a tighter spot. But then again, that's what it is designed to do. The non-spot beam of the S-12 is a bit wider, but the Solostorm gives plenty of light for the trail.

I did a 3:45 ride with the Solostorm last week. First 20 min on road = low. Then ran on medium for most of the rest of the ride. At hour 3, the third dot started flashing, and I returned to low. It lasted another 30 minutes before shuting down.

I want to take some Shoot-out style trail pix, but hauling all that gear is gonna be a pain. Just got to have a day when I'm motivated enough to do it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    I would have to disagree. I use mine on the bars, and I think it's a great bar light. The spot is large and lights the full width of a two lane (under construction) highway. The throw is quite decent, and brihtens the trail well ahead of me.

My Xeccon S12 U2 thows further, and has a tighter spot. But then again, that's what it is designed to do. The non-spot beam of the S-12 is a bit wider, but the Solostorm gives plenty of light for the trail.

I did a 3:45 ride with the Solostorm last week. First 20 min on road = low. Then ran on medium for most of the rest of the ride. At hour 3, the third dot started flashing, and I returned to low. It lasted another 30 minutes before shuting down.

I want to take some Shoot-out style trail pix, but hauling all that gear is gonna be a pain. Just got to have a day when I'm motivated enough to do it.
    Thanks Ian. Two lanes seems very broad to me, more of a flood type light.

I think that the amount of light outside the hot spot is also what makes it bar-worthy. You need some light on the ground between the front tire and the beginning of the hot spot 15 or 20 ft away.

The Magicshine 808E is not that great in that regard. The D99 is better, but doesn't have a true hot spot. The solarstorm is probably also better ( I wish I had one). I also have a magicshine 872 clone and that thing is a super flooder.

Beam shots would be awesome. I want to do a shoot-out also, but I don't have a dslr.

mtbr member
    Are those lenses suitable for the SS X2?

I want to change the actual lens with eliptical ones for legal road use.

Which one would be suitable?

35.0mm Optics/Light Diffusers (Glass/5-Pack) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

or?

23.0mm Optics/Light Diffusers (PMMA/5-Pack) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-1285800-11.jpg  

Last edited by reinholdus; 05-25-2013 at 04:05 PM.

mtbr member
    So i will have to cut them a little bit to fit in the space of the original reflector.

I want to use the bike light for legal road use, but the original reflectors produce too much glare.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    "Ok, now I understand.

Wow, that sucks! I just assumed there was a solid wall behind the led board. Oh well, not the greatest design. That's why it's so small, they left out the thermal conduction wall! I wonder how long it will take to fry itself.

So that leaves the Solarstorm x2 and dx ultrafire D-50 as possible good and cheap dual-emitter lights "

Can you check if this light is build better than the D99 - is there a wall behind the led board?

Newb
    Apr 2012
    I just bought 3 of these lights for a 24 hour race, all 3 worked perfect!. This was my first time riding at night and I was really impressed with these lights!.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I am interested in the SSX2 and or any other similar dual emitters. My intent would be to run this on the bars as more of a flood pattern.

- Any beam shots on the trails yet?
    - What is the run-time on High and Medium settings with the FT supplied battery?
    - What is the difference in output on the High vs Medium settings (subjective responses are also acceptable at this point)?
    - What are the trade-offs of this vs. the TrustFire TR-D002?

I would like to get a minimum of 2 hours on medium setting, with the preference of something closer to 2.5 hours. I understand that the SSX2 can easily do this so my question is in regards to how much of a tradeoff in light output that is occurring on that setting? I suppose I mostly looking for the maximum output possible in the 2-2.5 hour range. I don't need anything over-the-top powerful though since I am getting by just fine with two (2) Niterider Lumina 650's (on medium). Lastly, I'm not opposed to spending slightly more money and buy the light and battery units separate if it would significantly improve performance. Thanks.

Edit: meant Lumina, not MiNewt
    Last edited by steelhmr; 06-26-2013 at 02:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post
    I am interested in the SSX2 and or any other similar dual emitters. My intent would be to run this on the bars as more of a flood pattern.

- Any beam shots on the trails yet?
    - What is the run-time on High and Medium settings with the FT supplied battery?
    - What is the difference in output on the High vs Medium settings (subjective responses are also acceptable at this point)?
    - What are the trade-offs of this vs. the TrustFire TR-D002?

I would like to get a minimum of 2 hours on medium setting, with the preference of something closer to 2.5 hours. I understand that the SSX2 can easily do this so my question is in regards to how much of a tradeoff in light output that is occurring on that setting? I suppose I mostly looking for the maximum output possible in the 2-2.5 hour range. I don't need anything over-the-top powerful though since I am getting by just fine with two (2) MiNewt 650's (on medium). Lastly, I'm not opposed to spending slightly more money and buy the light and battery units separate if it would significantly improve performance. Thanks.
    The only person who has all the lights is Kir, and here's what he said about them:
    Another New, Promising XM-L2 Light

There's really only a few people who have any of these lights, as they are all very new. So there aren't very many side-by-side comparisons of any of the lights. The D99 was the first cheap dual emitter light, and a bunch of us bought them and reviewed it.

The "which light should I buy" questions can only be answered if you consider the light as a whole, i.e. the UI, beam pattern etc. For me, the user interface (UI) and the number of modes is very important. Each light has a different downside, so it's just a matter of what you are willing to live with. For example this light supposedly turns off completely while changing from the high to low mode. Not ideal in my opinion. So just keep reading the threads to see what you like.
    Last edited by varider; 06-26-2013 at 01:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    How long is the battery last?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The battery that came with mine lasted about an hour on high. It won't charge past 8.2 volts. I am going to send it back

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    I do have all of these lights...actually I have loads of chinese bike lights, about 20-30 models atm.
    Its basically my little fun project, I want to collect every popular chinese bike light and make a complete database with technical data, pics of the insides/drivers, reviews of each light with beamshots etc. It all started 6 months ago when I decided to get a new light and ordered a few lights from aliexpress. Wasn't impressed by them, ordered more...and so on So far I've managed to collect almost every model so I have the lights - but I just don't have the time to make detailed reviews atm.
    If there will be enough interest in the database like this, I may attemp to make an english version too (I'm from Russia, so english is not my native language ).
    Bicycle Light 5*T6 - you can find some of my test reviews here, on pages 6-7-8. Google translate it, it'll be horrible but understandable for most parts.

Now, about SolarStorm X2.
    Original SSX2 from aliexpress (bought it for $62 or so) has ~3700mAh battery. I also got 2 versions from fasttech.
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/1285800 - this one has 3000mAh battery.
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/1330303 - this one has ~3600mAh battery AND unbalanced cells, protection circuit at battery activates at charging so final battery voltage is lower than 8.4v (same as mtbboy41's battery). Also its a clone of SSX2, driver is a bit different.

I made a quick test of current draw from external PSU at 8.4V, here is the data for all 2XML lights that I have at maximum mode:
    TrustFire TR-D002 - 1A
    D99 - 1.3A
    D-50 - 1.4A
    Solarstorm X2 - 2A

So SSX2 is the most powerful 2XML light. At 7.5v (usual working voltage from battery) it draws 0.5A in low mode, 1.5A in middle and more than 2A (probably about 2.3A, my PSU has 2A limit) at high.
    With 3000mAh battery you'll get 1-1.3 hours runtime on high and about 2 hours runtime on medium. With 3700 battery a bit more.
    Imo you really need to make your own battery for SSX2 (or buy a good battery made from 2600mAh cells), chinese batteries don't offer enough capacity for it.

2XML lights - Imgur - some comparison pics of my 2XML lights

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Found this in other thread:
    Aliexpress.com : Buy 1 Set 2013 SolarStorm X2 Bike Light Waterproof 2 CREE U2 LED 2000LM Bicycle Light + Intelligent Power Indicate + Free Shipping from Reliable Bike light suppliers on Shenzhen East Face Sci&Tech Co., Ltd
    Solarstorm X2 for $37 shipped. Go to "sale items", get 3 off 30 coupon, use it at checkout.
    Even if you'll get a crappy battery its still a very good deal.

mtbr member
    Just pulled the trigger on the solarstorm X2 for $36.84. I was looking at it, but decided I really didn't need it. I went for a night ride and my 3 XML-T6 fried right before the kinda technical steep part of my ride. Good thing I had a 1 XML-T6 on my helmet or it really would have sucked riding out. Guess I was wrong and needed another light. Hopefully they will ship it fast.

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast