Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    It's not clear whether it is 4.2v or 8.4v variant. I've seen this battery container in other light, where it was parallel-connection type...
    ...not only that but the battery holder requires only two cells and is connected directly to the lamp ( no two-way plug ). Interesting though because the lamp looks like it is using reflectors that are OP'd. Can't beat the price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002maniac View Post
    I'm a bit of a lighing noob (my only light is a niterider 600). I just ordered a "welltop" light from amazon that appears to be the same as the lights discussed here. What do you guys think? I paid $25 shipped so I won't be too disappointed if it's crap, but it seemed like a good gamble.

Amazon Welltop
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    I noticed that the driver is listed as High-Mid-Low, which is reverse of the SolarStorm one I have. There is no mention of Hold for Flash mode. When you get it, please report back on the mode arrangement.

The picture sure looks like the SolarStorm logo and X2 markings
    Turns out it's not a "Welltop" at all. It's a Solarstorm X2. I'm very happy with it so far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    One thing to keep in mind, the x2 and x3 have really sharp edges. This can really dangerous. Both the Gemini Duo and Xera have a much smoother light pattern. The x3 Solorstorm is best used on the head. For the money can't complain !!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    One thing to keep in mind, the x2 and x3 have really sharp edges. This can really dangerous.
    I wouldn't exactly say sharp. Though I agree the right angle edges of fins on the font and back could break skin in a serious crash. But realistically, if the accident causes you to hit the light with enough force to result in that kind of damage, other parts of your body are hitting the bike or ground pretty hard too. Those impacts are likely to cause more acute injuries than hitting the SS.

From a safety point of view, yes it would have been good for the corners of the upper fins to be rounded. I think this is a case where style won out over safety. I doubt injuries in an accident even entered the minds of the designers.

It is a "sharp" looking light, that stands out as different from others that were on the market when this was introduced in the spring. It still looks unique today.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    Saw this one on ebay and thought I'd share it. It's kinda weird, but cheap enough that people could just use the light head to go with their 4-cell battery. Might have to get creative to mount it on a helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    It's not clear whether it is 4.2v or 8.4v variant. I've seen this battery container in other light, where it was parallel-connection type...
    There isn't necessarily anything wrong with a 2P power source. If there were other design changes such such as the driver and LEDs connected in parallel rather than series. (Maybe the builders and modders can chime in on that.) There are many single 18650 cell flashlights that drive the LEDs as brightly as our 2S2P bike lights.

I also noticed there are no battery charge indicators. The front bezel is quite different and the back attaches with sunken screws/bolts. Willing to bet a single pair of screws hold both front and back in place. The cable glands looks quite anemic compared to the SS.

Plusses: You get a quick release handle bar mount, and the head mount looks lower profile than the standard MS style. And those OP reflectors sure caught my eye too.

But considering you can get the original SS X2 "light head only" for $20.65 or the real XM-L2 version for $23.50, I'm not sure the potential down sides of this model are worth the risk. Of course if someone wants to buy it, and give it the once over, I'd gladly read the review with gusto.

mtbr member
    One thing to keep in mind, the x2 and x3 have really sharp edges. This can really dangerous. Both the Gemini Duo and Xera have a much smoother light pattern. The x3 Solorstorm is best used on the head. For the money can't complain !!
    MTB'ing is inherently dangerous in and of itself. Any bad fall can have you hitting a tree, a sharp stick, big or sharp rocks or any combo thereof. Getting hurt by the edges on a SSX2 would take, "The Perfect Storm" so to speak. Even if you did brush up against one during a fall the lamp will move ( if using the O-ring mounts )
    All things considered, I certainly wouldn't let the lamp design keep me from buying one. Simply put; really not important enough to worry about.

mtbr member
    Due to my wonky handlebars, I cannot mount this light perfectly, it always shines to the right (or left). I could use something to attach it to the stem in stead of the bars, is that available?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Stem Cap Light Mount from Paul Component Engineering

Paul components stem light mount should work!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar View Post
    Due to my wonky handlebars, I cannot mount this light perfectly, it always shines to the right (or left). I could use something to attach it to the stem in stead of the bars, is that available?
    I use the MT204 mount and its great. Its super light, and if you want you can mount more than one thing to it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I use the MT-201P mount for center light: works fine.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eggdog View Post
    Stem Cap Light Mount from Paul Component Engineering

Paul components stem light mount should work!
    I feel this will mount the light too close to the rider for standing up while climbing. You'll get lots of glare in your eyes if it is not further forward. I had to build a "hood" for one of my early lights to prevent that.

mtbr member

Action LED Mount

Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar View Post
    I use the Action LED mount also, works great but is a bit slippery for MS type o-ring mounting so I epoxied inner tube strips to it, makes for a snug fit.

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-4s-681.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm From Portugal and today arrived my SolarStorm X2 XM-L2 version from lightmalls (ordered on 11 Out 2013, arrived today 29 Out 2013).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Tonight going with 2-SS x2 on the bars powered by my new Xeccon 6 cell, Samsung 7800 mAh soft shell battery. Leonard is another great guy to deal with, great service better pricing than Action, sorry Jim !! Supper fast shipping, 6 cells for slightly more money than 4 cell from Gemini.
    I will use the x3 again on the head power by the Gemini 4 cell battery. Thinking about getting just the new Gemini Olympia 2100 light head. Not much info yet on it !!

mtbr member
    Tonight going with 2-SS x2 on the bars powered by my new Xeccon 6 cell, Samsung 7800 mAh soft shell battery. Leonard is another great guy to deal with, great service better pricing than Action, sorry Jim !! Supper fast shipping, 6 cells for slightly more money than 4 cell from Gemini.
    I will use the x3 again on the head power by the Gemini 4 cell battery. Thinking about getting just the new Gemini Olympia 2100 light head. Not much info yet on it !!
    MTB Revolution; great place to buy good batteries at a great price.
    About the Gemini Olympia 2100; If this is a XM-L2 (U2) version it should make an AWESOME light.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    SSC P7 ( same chip of MJ-808 ) and Solarstorm X2 XM-L2

control photo

SSC P7 - Medium

SSCP7 - High

Solarstorm X2 XM-L2 - Low

Solarstorm X2 XM-L2 - Medium

Solarstorm X2 XM-L2 - High

mtbr member
    Thanks for the hints for the handlebar mounts, really useful.

Here's the shots I made yesterday. Using an EOS-M ISO200, f5.6 4" exposure. All pics manual mode. Exposure is about the same as the requested settings of "camera settings: full manual, ISO-100, Exposure-6 seconds, Aperture-F4.0 (ISO200 f5.6 equals ISO100 f4.0), but 6 sec exposure would really overexpose things, so 4 sec is 1/2 stop less.

X2 on low:

X2 on medium:

X2 on high:

That tree is 15m away. The small tree in the background is about 30m away (look closely).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If it were me, I would adjust the aim a little higher. It's too blown out close in.

mtbr member
    Just got a few of these, is it best to fully charge the battery packs before use or make sure they are run out before charging?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Great beamshots guys!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    On the field (SSCP7 vs Solarstorm X2 XM-L2)

Control

SSCP7 - Medium

SSCP7 - High

Solarstorm X2 XM-L2 - Low

Solarstorm X2 XM-L2 - Medium

Solarstorm XM-L2 - High (the difference between the "medium" and "high" is greater than is seen in the photos, but the light is so strong in "high" and the iphone automatically adjusts the luminosity photo )

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    wow that's frigging bright! ordered a pair of the xl-m2 ones from lightmalls yesterday, can't wait to ride with these puppies!! Makes my old mightycross 350 look like a incandescent flashlight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Zaang, I think you aimed the light very good, I ride mine the same way. Guys nice shots!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    MK96 can you tell me the max run time you get (with the original battery) on: High, Medium and Low?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I don't have "original" chinese, I just have mine zippy flightmax 8000 mAh, with one SS-X2 runs about 4.5 hours on high. The chinese batteries ale lottery - so can't tell how much can you get out of yours. I remember that mine Skyray 3 XML light ran about 20 minutes on high, so I decided to throw chinese bat away and bought li-po.

Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast