Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    Got a problem with my X2. Light is stuck permanently on in high mode. Switch no longer works/cycles. Teardown has revealed no dry solders and switch is working. Anyone experienced this and fixed it? Possibly the driver board is cactus.
    I've got into same trouble after resoldering broken led wires to the driver circuit. No visible damage anywhere. Switch is working as using long press turns light into flashing mode as it should, but no way to change the other modes or turn the light off.
    Can you check with long press at your side?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Guys, I said "switch is working". eg. when unsoldered from the pcb it works. Switch is dual pole momentary with a very simple mechanical design using a convex disc. Mechanically it should be incredibly reliable. I am also getting the 7.4v signal on the switching side, which the switch switches through to the microcontroller to change modes (but mode change and on/off does not occur).

ledoman - a long press does not switch to flashing mode.

Battery monitoring still works, ie. leds will light/turn off depending on battery voltage, including slashing lowest led when battery almost flat.

Leds do not pulse when stuck on (shining light on fast moving object like spinning bike wheel does not produce stobing effect like when in low power modes), so leds are in direct drive

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hmm, do we have the same circuit? I've seen three so far. Mine is black T shaped, but I've also seen two different green ones with coil.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Both of you can post photos of the circuit boards, uC might be dead

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've got driver described in this thread.
    There is no real reason uC to become dead as I've only resolder all four wires from the leds. If I could I would check capacitors with proper multimeter. Unfortunately I don't have the one to measure capacitance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The cheap one that could do it is about $30 at FT. Might be worth trying if the circuit is in direct drive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    My driver board is HX-1289A6 - seems similar to the one in the above thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So you have the original X2 driver Another idea to think about is to measure the voltage across the led1 and led2. If it is in direct drive you should read battery voltage under its load meaning that uC is probably OK and other components are fried/gone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yup, that's the one, even gaps L1+ and L2- are the same. Well, as much as memory serves me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    ..measure the voltage across the led1 and led2...
    I get 3V across each LED and 6V in total across both.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    And how much across V+/V- on input at the same time?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    7.3V at V+/V-.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So 1.3V voltage drop over the circuit to the leds. Huh, I'm not into electronics and don't have a clue. I can only guess it's not direct drive. Will measure my one at evening and report it back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes it is not in a direct drive. It seems to me as a fried/stuck uC. I would also try to connect/disconnect the two wires/leads for a short time from the switch to simulate the switch function and to be sure the switch is 100% OK. I know you wrote it is but since you measured some voltage across the switch wires ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've measured my driver. Vcc is 7.3V and voltage across leds is 6.35V. I must say I have XM-L2 so I might have leds with different Vf. AFAIK, XM-L2 has higher Vf.

mtbr member
    Has anyone fabricated any helmet mount for solarstorm?
    I have nothing suitable for Giro Aeon, so i just strapped flashlight to it. Little bit ugly, and part of lamp is blocked.
    Today an idea has visited my head - find a 3d printer and make a custom mount for my helmet and solarstorm.

Edit: it seems that there is no 3d print services in our town
    XMCarbonSpeed CS-057 29er custom build
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/2293724

mtbr member
    Cant you use any of the helmet mounts that have a handlebar like round section that you can attach the light as if it was on a handlebar?

mtbr member
    I want a light and low profile mount, so it will not move my helmet on a bumps. Don't want it stick out above my head .
    Also, Aeon is a pretty bad helmet for mounting any handlebar mounts. All holes is quite narrow.

mtbr member
    Here is my "mount"

mtbr member
    Does anyone have luck charging the stock battery with a hobby charger? I set it to LiIo which terminates at 8.2V. A completely drained battery gets to 8.2V in 20 minutes, like 500mah. I use Accucel 6, 1 amp charge.

With the stock charger, who stops the charge? The charger or a board on the battery?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm charging bike light's batteries with mentioned charger for long time.

First, you'll have to put it into "LiPo" mode, not "LiIo". The latter is for early generations of cells with 4.1V limit, and also can be used for extended longevity of modern ones, to prolong service life - but at the cost of available capacity reduction.

Incredibly fast charge time of your battery probably means inferior quality of pack: low capacity, significant internal resistance or/and poor cabling...

As for included charger - normally, it's responsibility of charger to stop the charge at correct SOC, while protection PCB in battery is just a safety device designed to prevent damage/fire in case of charger's failure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NazZaR View Post
    I have nothing suitable for Giro Aeon, so i just strapped flashlight to it. Little bit ugly, and part of lamp is blocked.
    (
    The Aeon vent design is a gem for direct mounting. Just mount the Solarstorm directly on the bridge circled in red. Run a small o-ring under the bridge and up to the rear hook of the o-ring mount. For perfect beam angle, shape a pencil eraser or a block of rubber to a triangular wedge. Fit it between the front part of the vent bridge and the front hook of the o-ring mount.

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-4c9e.jpg
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    I'm charging bike light's batteries with mentioned charger for long time.

First, you'll have to put it into "LiPo" mode, not "LiIo". The latter is for early generations of cells with 4.1V limit, and also can be used for extended longevity of modern ones, to prolong service life - but at the cost of available capacity reduction.

Incredibly fast charge time of your battery probably means inferior quality of pack: low capacity, significant internal resistance or/and poor cabling...

As for included charger - normally, it's responsibility of charger to stop the charge at correct SOC, while protection PCB in battery is just a safety device designed to prevent damage/fire in case of charger's failure.
    Thats a lot. Do you know if something is balancing the cells? An internal PCB can do that, but I got a sense so far that this is not a great pack, so assume it is simply unbalanced.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Correct, there's no balancing functionality in such packs. But if you need it, you can easily add balance leads yourself.

mtbr member
    Tried LiPo program.
    1100mah went in. Isn't it about a third of the actual capacity? Rest Voltage is 5.8V after charge. Now its on the original charger. I guess I will have to do a discharge test to see the capacity.

Maybe the pack has huge internal resistance.

banned
    Jan 2014
    I wonder if I should get a SolarStorm X3, I got a X2 already btw.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    Tried LiPo program.
    1100mah went in. Isn't it about a third of the actual capacity? Rest Voltage is 5.8V after charge. Now its on the original charger. I guess I will have to do a discharge test to see the capacity.

Maybe the pack has huge internal resistance.
    Your cell could be about that capacity even they are balanced what I suppose they aren't. Time to buy a proper cell pack.

mtbr member

Some tests and observations

As most people on the thread already noted, good little light, weak battery. If I get more it will be light head alone and some quality battery separatelly.
    The light has a round bright narrow spot in the middle. Not smooth transition like other lights. Gets hot in the stand, not hot when moving.

Run time test with original battery on medium:
    • 44m: Two power LEDs
    • 1:30: One power LED (6.87V)
    • 1:45: Power LED flashes (5.6V)
    • 1:55: Shut down (5.77V)

So you get 1:45 run time on medium. High makes the times significantly shorter and is probably useless for me.

Battery capacity:
    Charge 1140mAh
    Discharge: 1130mAh

This is abysmal capacity for two 18650 in parallel (2P). It means that each cell is less than 600mAh, less than a Chinese no name 14500 cell, which is half the size. Two quality Panasonic cells will give you three times more capacity and run time than those four. Four Panasonics will give you 6 times. Then high power is probably an option. I was expecting around 1500-2000mAh, not 1130.

But at this price, I got a charger, which surprisingly works very well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Wow, my worst cells were about 700mAh. Anyway one should get a light head for $18 and a charger from some choices here:

Hobbyking DC-4S Balance Charger & Cell Checker 30w 2s~4s

IMAX B6 Charger/Discharger 1-6 Cells (COPY)

iMAX C-403 Super Simple Balance Charger (Genuine)

HobbyKing ECO6 50W 5A Balancer/Charger w/ accessories

Then we are on a max budget like $37 and some battery from Mr. Lee or Pannovo case and protected brand name cells which add another ~$30-40. We end up with a good balance charger, let's say acceptable light head and a 6 times more run time on high. It is about twice the amount of the original SS X2 set but more advantages win in this case.

ballbuster
    Am I smoking mountains of crack, or is it really $14 on fleabay right now... head only?

Dang... I already have a MS battery and charger... and my NR light is acting up, randomly cutting out (although the battery cells are good). Mega tempted... even though I know this is far from perfect.

CREE XM L 2XU2 LED 5000 Lumens 3 Modes Bicycle Bike Headlight Lamp Light Red | eBay

BTW, I have some good quality Panasonic cells, and a charge regulator PCB coming soon. How bad an idea is it to homebrew a 2x18650 battery to drive this thing? I like the idea of a small light battery.

Is that too much current for a 2 cell battery? Just saying, I would mostly run it on medium or low, although some DH and techy descent runs I would crank it up to high for 3-5 minutes.

mtbr member
    Did anyone try tir optics with the X2 to produce a smoother beam without the bright hotspot in the middle?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    No but with 880 clone in another thread. Works almost the same with SS X2.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    ...Is that too much current for a 2 cell battery? Just saying, I would mostly run it on medium or low, although some DH and techy descent runs I would crank it up to high for 3-5 minutes.
    Shouldn't be with good cells. I use a 2S pack with Panasonic 3400mAh cells (unprotected) and a 2S battery holder with protection built in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Guys just received my SolarStorm X3 from ebay, everything works fine with the light except that one of the battery LED's (the green ones on the back) stays always on and on a kind of low mode (as it if was broke or something)
    Here are some pics that explain better the situation:
    http://i.imgur.com/sBaq9rW.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/j8z9j8L.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/jcVkVbA.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/1P6l3p4.jpg

So is the LED that shows when the battery is at full charge, that LED is always on on a very low light even when the battery starts to discharge the other two LED work fine.

My question is, could there be a way to fix this or this might just be a defective light?
    Also if the LED is always on even in that low light way is the battery going to suffer extra drain?

Thank you, any help is apprecited.

Pd: sorry for may english

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seance765 View Post
    Guys just received my SolarStorm X3 from ebay, everything works fine with the light except that one of the battery LED's (the green ones on the back) stays always on and on a kind of low mode (as it if was broke or something)
    Here are some pics that explain better the situation:
    http://i.imgur.com/sBaq9rW.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/j8z9j8L.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/jcVkVbA.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/1P6l3p4.jpg

So is the LED that shows when the battery is at full charge, that LED is always on on a very low light even when the battery starts to discharge the other two LED work fine.

My question is, could there be a way to fix this or this might just be a defective light?
    Also if the LED is always on even in that low light way is the battery going to suffer extra drain?

Thank you, any help is apprecited.

Pd: sorry for may english
    I've read somewhere that these leds have a good drain. I am always disconnecting the head from batteries when not riding.

mtbr member
    I got mine from FastTech, and based on Kir's reviews and photos,
    User review: Solarstorm X2, original version

I think mine is a clone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

I think mine is a clone.
    So fasttech and lightmalls are not official retealiers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    So fasttech and lightmalls are not official retealiers?
    I don't know, but it doesn't look the same wiring and the battery is junk, even compared with other Chinese no-name batts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I got mine yesterday. I ordered the red one from phcmall on ebay. It was around $30. I havent really got a feel on the battery yet.The first charge went down fast , but it was the first charge. I dont have anything to measure the actual output. It is brighter than all three of my Niteriders(mininewt and trail rat(2)). I hope this battery works out, because the light is nice.

mtbr member

I think mine is a clone.
    I wouldn't say it's a clone just the latest version. I don't know of any place that you can buy them and be guaranteed the original version which was a better quality.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Has anybody tried this battery case? PANNOVO B-C04 Water Resistant 4 x 18650 Battery Pack Case for Bike Lamp - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

The 2 battery pack I bought at Lightmalls are terrible... I think one has a life of ~ 20min at max intensity!

I would like to buy one good battery pack, I have already a decent one that came with my aliexpress X2, and I'll keep the two lightmalls one just in case...

PS: I ride with 2 X2, one on the bar with the Hope mount + one on the helmet with a gopro mount ( PANNOVO G-102 Sports Camera Connection 1/4" Connecter Accessory for GOPRO Hero 2/3 Camera - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme ), it's perfect I prefer to ride after the dark now

mtbr member
    I have the Pannovo case with Panasonic NCR18650B protected batteries. They are a super tight fit but work well. I've ridden about 2hr with my X2 on high and the battery indicators aren't on the last level yet. I charge the batteries separately most of the time in a Nitecore i4 charger but if I'm in a hurry I'll just plug it into the stock charger that came with the lights.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan4jeepin View Post
    I have the Pannovo case with Panasonic NCR18650B protected batteries. They are a super tight fit but work well. I've ridden about 2hr with my X2 on high and the battery indicators aren't on the last level yet. I charge the batteries separately most of the time in a Nitecore i4 charger but if I'm in a hurry I'll just plug it into the stock charger that came with the lights.
    Do you have problems pulling the cells out due to the increased diameter?
    3po armorless, the first weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Diameter is no problem at all and the batteries come right out. It's more the length because the protected batteries are so long. It's no big deal but you do have to put a good amount of force on the top to get it screwed down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan4jeepin View Post
    Diameter is no problem at all and the batteries come right out. It's more the length because the protected batteries are so long. It's no big deal but you do have to put a good amount of force on the top to get it screwed down.
    Thanks for the comment on this.
    3po armorless, the first weight weenie.

mtbr member
    My SolarStorm x3 arrived today. And guess what? Left led is dead. And top indicator led is dead too, just like some people here experienced above.

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-2014-02-08-13.43.06.jpg
    SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-2014-02-08-13.43.25.jpg
    SolarStorm/FandyFire X2-2014-02-08-13.43.15.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Contact seller

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaang View Post
    Contact seller
    already did.
    I've got dead SolarStorm x2 head laying around, friend of my, skilled electrician, willing to swap LEDs from SSx2 to SSx3.
    But still, i am waiting that the seller will send a replacement.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

Quote Originally Posted by NazZaR View Post
    My SolarStorm x3 arrived today. And guess what? Left led is dead. And top indicator led is dead too, just like some people here experienced above.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-02-08 13.43.06.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	868126

Name:	2014-02-08 13.43.25.jpg 
Views:	1114 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	868127

Name:	2014-02-08 13.43.15.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	868128
    Sadly for us, seems that is a clone we own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sadly for us, seems that is a clone we own.
    That is a bit frustrating, because i bought it from the same seller i bought my SSx2 before, and it works flawelessly and holds charge good.