Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    7am Backcountry ;- )

Solar Storm XT40 + Xtar VP2 + Torchy 3400mah + Battery Box - with pictures...

Evening guys,

Review of the Solar Storm XT40 with battery box

$52.82 SolarStorm XT40 4*Cree XM-L2 U2 4-Mode 3000LM LED Bike Light / Headlamp - black / 1*battery pack / US plug at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

After running the SSX2 and SSX3 the XT40 is my new fav trail daylight bringer!

XT40

Looks fantastic on the bars...

Daylight! ...

Beam shots

Comparisons

Some low, medium, high comparisons

LOW...

MEDIUM...

HIGH (the distance, height, and throw of the light is phenomenal. Look at the trees and the ground after the trees)...

Battery box fits snugly in the Blur frame

Heat concerns

When moving on High the XT40 is warm to the touch, after a fast descent its timid to the touch. Once stationary it gets hot to touch, after around 2-3 minutes it dims down slightly and puts itself into medium mode!

This is great as sometimes I forget to turn onto low when stopping for a mid ride snack etc.

On low and medium modes, both moving and stationary heat remains low.The heatsink appears to work as intended, heating up quickly on high mode and dissipating the heat efficiently when moving, with built in protection once stopped. The above tests have been on the recent balmy 16-18*c nights too, come next weekend riding in single digit figures i'd wager it to run even cooler.

Xtar VP2 Charger

Xtar VP2 charger considered to be one of the best 2 bays on the market. Has a 0.25, 0.5 and 1.0 amp charge setting, volt reading, and took around 2.5 hours for a pair on full setting. (This is quicker than my old Nitecore I4 which only delivered 0.375 amp when all four bays used)

Perfect cutoff at 4.19v...

Four Torchy 3400 mah unprotected 18650 fit perfect in the solarstorm battery box and lid seals fully...

Nice secure screw down top cap...

Batteries @ 3.76 from 4.19 volts, not bad after a 2.5 hour ride on x4 CREE XM - L2 U2 with a mix of medium and high...

Conclusion

Overall i'd rate the XT40 very highly, I don't really feel the need to wear a headtorch anymore, the beam cast in terms of width and throw is truly astonishing. SSX2 and SSX3 are confined to the drawer for spares. Medium setting is really enough for anything but the steepest of trails, high is just mind blowing.
    i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing

mtbr member
    Does the battery indicator turn off after you turn off the headlamp?

Where did you get the charger?

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Hey Khrystyan,

No the LEDs stay on when the lamp is off, very very minimal power draw though, same as the SSX2 + SSX3 once battery hooked up it displays the indicators.

Charger from here

Xtar VP2 Dual Bay Lithium-ion Battery Charger

In depth review of VP2

Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

mtbr member
    Any idea how true the 3000 lumen claim is?
    DaveH
    '15 Salsa Horsethief
    '13 9:ZERO:7
    '13 Trek Domane
    '16 Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post
    If the spec's are correct...with a 2.8A driver, that's 700mah to each LED. The spec's on an XM-L2 U2 at 700mah is about 350lms. Putting this light at about 1400lms.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Evening Neons so would that make the Solar Storm X2 700 lms? That was my previous go to light of choice before the XT40

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post

Specs on the XM - L2 here

XLamp XM-L2
    Delivering breakthrough lumen output and efficacy

Built on the SC Technology Platform, the XLamp XM-L2 LED delivers up to 20% more lumens and lumens-per-watt and double the lumens-per-dollar of the original XM-L. The XM-L2 LED offers the unique combination of high efficacy and high lumen output at high drive currents, delivering an unprecedented 1198 lumens at 116 lumens-per-watt efficacy at 3 A, 25C.

pdf Download data sheet

Specifications
    Variations
    Documentation
    Multimedia
    Size (mm x mm) 5 x 5
    Maximum drive current (A) 3
    Maximum power (W) 10
    Light output Up to 1052 lm @ 10 W, 85C
    Typical forward voltage (V) 2.85
    Viewing angle (degrees) 125
    Binning 85C, ANSI
    Thermal resistance (C/W) 2.5
    Reflow-solderable Yes JEDEC J-STD-020C-compatible
    RoHS and REACH-compliant Yes
    UL-recognized component Yes Level 4 Enclosure Consideration

Cree XLamp XM-L2 LEDs

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by capoz77 View Post
    Evening Neons so would that make the Solar Storm X2 700 lms? That was my previous go to light of choice before the XT40
    That's incorrect.

The SSX2 claims to also have a 2.8A driver. That means each emitter gets 1.4A instead of 700mah like in the XT40. If this is in-fact also true (key words here...how true are these driver current claims)...then each emitter is putting out about 550-600 lms for total of 1100-1200.

I have an SSX2 with XM-L T6 (one of the original "good ones") and I would say that it puts out about 1,000lms. Keep in mind SSX2's are generally still sold with the XM-L while the XT40 you listed is XM-L2. A diferent (newer, brighter emitter). It all comes down to how much current your driver can put out (at what voltage), and how well the light head can dissipate that heat before it goes to thermal shutdown/reduction.

Check this out:

Cree - Flashlight Wiki

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neons97 View Post
    That's incorrect.

The SSX2 claims to also have a 2.8A driver. That means each emitter gets 1.4A instead of 700mah like in the XT40. If this is in-fact also true (key words here...how true are these driver current claims)...then each emitter is putting out about 550-600 lms for total of 1100-1200.

I have an SSX2 with XM-L T6 (one of the original "good ones") and I would say that it puts out about 1,000lms. Keep in mind SSX2's are generally still sold with the XM-L while the XT40 you listed is XM-L2. A diferent (newer, brighter emitter). It all comes down to how much current your driver can put out (at what voltage), and how well the light head can dissipate that heat before it goes to thermal shutdown/reduction.

Check this out:

Cree - Flashlight Wiki
    Sorry it took me a couple days to respond to this because my monitor on my computer went out. I'm impressed with the new upgrade to the XT40. If the driver is indeed 2800ma I'm inclined to believe that the emitter are arranged 2S/2P. That would put 1400ma through each emitter. Without looking at the data sheet for the XM-L2 I would ballpark about 500 lumen per emitter, total of about 2000 lumen.

The photos make the lamp look bigger than it actually is. A photo taken from about 10 ft. away would make it look a little smaller. In the mean time I'm still waiting for the SSX3 to come out with XM-L2 U2. That said I would want at least a 6A driver so with a 3P set-up each emitter would see at least 2A ( 2000ma ). Too bad the XT40 doesn't have a 6A driver, if it did I wouldn't mind taking a look at one.

BTW, likely the better SSX2 ( or clones ) are 2S.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    In the Fasttech product page the title says XM-L2 but the description only has them as XM-L. Is there a way to determine which LED this light has?
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    In the Fasttech product page the title says XM-L2 but the description only has them as XM-L. Is there a way to determine which LED this light has?
    It's likely XM-L2 U2, probably a just a mistake in the product description, quite common with the Chinese web sites. If you want to know for sure you click on the "support" tab and then the "contact" tab.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Sorry it took me a couple days to respond to this because my monitor on my computer went out. I'm impressed with the new upgrade to the XT40. If the driver is indeed 2800ma I'm inclined to believe that the emitter are arranged 2S/2P. That would put 1400ma through each emitter. Without looking at the data sheet for the XM-L2 I would ballpark about 500 lumen per emitter, total of about 2000 lumen.

The photos make the lamp look bigger than it actually is. A photo taken from about 10 ft. away would make it look a little smaller. In the mean time I'm still waiting for the SSX3 to come out with XM-L2 U2. That said I would want at least a 6A driver so with a 3P set-up each emitter would see at least 2A ( 2000ma ). Too bad the XT40 doesn't have a 6A driver, if it did I wouldn't mind taking a look at one.

BTW, likely the better SSX2 ( or clones ) are 2S.
    I'm new to all this light stuff. Didn't even consider a 2S2P emitter set-up. That would completely make sense. If this really puts out around 2000 lumens, it's a pretty incredible deal for about $50.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neons97 View Post
    I'm new to all this light stuff. Didn't even consider a 2S2P emitter set-up. That would completely make sense. If this really puts out around 2000 lumens, it's a pretty incredible deal for about $50.
    Well, I'd say the deal would be sweeter if 3A were going through each emitter ( on high )
    Still, I've been waiting for someone to review these lights and I'm glad to see a review with a version made with the XM-L2 emitters. Looks like they might make a pretty good bar lamp if you don't mind the size.

Damn, I'm still waiting on the 6-up I'm suppose to review to arrive. It should come sometime this week but I'm starting to get antsy. I want it to arrive before the weather gets too cold or too rainy.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Hey guys,

It does look rather large on the bar in the pics, but in the hand its surprisingly compact, impresses people in the flesh on the overall neat styling.

RE the amount of juice going through the x4 XM -L2, it seems slightly better than running two SSX2's with one on the bar, one on the helmet. Whether this is helped by the fact all x4 LEDS are shining from the bar in a more consistent beam pattern, i'm not sure.

But from reading the above an SSX2 should put out more lumens per pair of LEDS, as more power to each LED? Yet on full the XT40 seems to outshine two SSX2, in spread, and distance particularly.

This might give a better idea on bar size, x5 mounted on one handlebar

Solar Storm XT40 + Xtar VP2 + Torchy 3400mah + Battery Box - with pictures...-image.jpg

mtbr member

RE the amount of juice going through the x4 XM -L2, it seems slightly better than running two SSX2's with one on the bar, one on the helmet. Whether this is helped by the fact all x4 LEDS are shining from the bar in a more consistent beam pattern, i'm not sure.

But from reading the above an SSX2 should put out more lumens per pair of LEDS, as more power to each LED? Yet on full the XT40 seems to outshine two SSX2, in spread, and distance particularly.
    Glad to hear the XT40 has some throw. Looks like you were impressed enough with one to buy some more.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Can't take the credit for that pic, it was a guy in the UK who was selling them 20 a light

7am Backcountry ;- )

Here is the manufacturers page which gives the official specs

Solarstorm XT40 bike light ????

Descriptions:
    Dimensions:51mm(D)45mm(W)
    Weight:131 g (Without battery pack)
    LED:4CREE XM-L U2 LED
    Battery:418650 battery pack, 4800MAH
    Circuit:Digital CC circuit, power indicator system, Low-voltage alarming system.
    Mode:Low-Mid-High, hidden Strobe
    Dimming:Electronic pushbutton switch
    Lumens:2800Lums - 1500lums - 600lums - 2800lums
    Runtime:(4800MAH): 1h 40min-2h40min-7h-1h50min
    Material:Aluminum alloy
    Lens:Impact-resistant PC lens , White/ Red / Blue color
    Reflector:Metal reflector
    Waterproof:IPX-7, unable to support dive use.
    Mark:LED and mode are optional on your preference.

Just Ride !
    Hit the trails with your bike and get freaky.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Here is the manufacturers page which gives the official specs

Solarstorm XT40 bike light ????

Descriptions:
    Dimensions:51mm(D)45mm(W)
    Weight:131 g (Without battery pack)
    LED:4CREE XM-L U2 LED
    Battery:418650 battery pack, 4800MAH
    Circuit:Digital CC circuit, power indicator system, Low-voltage alarming system.
    Mode:Low-Mid-High, hidden Strobe
    Dimming:Electronic pushbutton switch
    Lumens:2800Lums - 1500lums - 600lums - 2800lums
    Runtime:(4800MAH): 1h 40min-2h40min-7h-1h50min
    Material:Aluminum alloy
    Lens:Impact-resistant PC lens , White/ Red / Blue color
    Reflector:Metal reflector
    Waterproof:IPX-7, unable to support dive use.
    Mark:LED and mode are optional on your preference.

Well I guess that answer the question if this was an XM-L or XM-L2 light. It's still a bright and effective on the trails at night.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    I found it here for $38.40 but the site seems fishy. Anyone heard of windyfire.com?

Solarstorm XT40 4XCREE XM-L U2 2800 Lumens bicycle light - Product - windyfire flashlights

mtbr member
    I just dropped in on this light minus battery for $35.71 shipped as an upgrade for my bar mounted securitying 3x cree light. We will see how it goes...

Highest quality and Cheap SolarStorm XT40 4 x Cree XM-L2 T6 2000lm 4-Mode White Bicycle Light - Black (4 / 6 / 8 x 18650) on sale

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    wow,very nice light!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the review! Nice light! Any idea what the current pull off the battery pack actually is?

-Garry

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrain View Post
    I found it here for $38.40 but the site seems fishy. Anyone heard of windyfire.com?

Solarstorm XT40 4XCREE XM-L U2 2800 Lumens bicycle light - Product - windyfire flashlights
    In this link, it shows 1.8A draw. Seems kind of low given those pictures. Goes to show these site specifications can never really be trusted.

mtbr member
    Right - I don't trust site specs. I want to know what it actually pulls.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    Right - I don't trust site specs. I want to know what it actually pulls.

-Garry
    Site specs are one thing, what you want to know is , "How much current is being supplied to each LED"? In the D/X link, it states the driver is supplying 1800ma. That doesn't sound like much but if supplied to "ALL" the leds ( in series ) the lamp would be quite bright.

Thing is you don't know the configuration of the LED's or how much of the "1800ma" each Led is getting. A lot depends on the type of driver used as to how the LED's are configured.

Anyway, it isn't that important to know how much current is coming off the battery unless you know more about the driver that is driving the LED's ( and how they are configured ). Sadly, rarely is this information supplied to the buyer.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Power draw figures on fully charged battery

Low ~700mA
    Med ~1.5A
    High ~3A

mtbr member
    That sounds pretty good! 3A at 8.4v would be about 6A at 4.2v, so 6A/4 LEDs = roughly 1.5A per emitter. (Minus some due to driver efficiency, though I used 4.2v and the LEDs will run at about 3.5 to 3.8v.)

-Garry

mtbr member

Succumbing to curiosity once again

I decided to order one of the upgraded XT-40's ( supposed with XM-L2 T-6's ) and ordered through the new D/X "Soul" website. First I wanted to see just how bright the XT40 is with my own eyes and secondly I wanted to see how fast I could get an order from the new D/X USA website. I figure it should take about 10 working days to get the order ( if all goes well ). In the mean time I'm still waiting for another order from China ( 6 x XM-L2 with 3 steady modes ) which hopefully should get here sometime next week. Should make for a interesting head to head shoot out.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 10-19-2014 at 01:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Cool! Waiting to hear your review/impressions. I'm surprised this XT40 isn't more popular. Is it because the famous 3XML covers most of what this light does and it costs less? I like that this one keeps all LEDs on during all modes though.

-Garry

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Cool! Waiting to hear your review/impressions. I'm surprised this XT40 isn't more popular. Is it because the famous 3XML covers most of what this light does and it costs less? I like that this one keeps all LEDs on during all modes though.

-Garry

Theres a massive Solarstorm following in the UK, and after the X2 and X3, the xt40 just seems like the natural progression in even more trail lumens. There doesnt appear to be many reviews or discussion about it though.

@cat-man-do I wasn't aware they did a previous version, did that have the older XML?

7am Backcountry ;- )
    My mate did a heat test with no airflow, left on garden table in full sun for 4 hours, batteries started at 4.19v

The power draw should be increased with high temps? It was warm to the touch but never scorching, and heres the result...

mtbr member
    Theres a massive Solarstorm following in the UK, and after the X2 and X3, the xt40 just seems like the natural progression in even more trail lumens. There doesnt appear to be many reviews or discussion about it though.

@cat-man-do I wasn't aware they did a previous version, did that have the older XML?
    Previous version is with XM-L "U2" bin.

mtbr member
    I decided to order one of the upgraded XT-40's ( supposed with XM-L2 T-6's ) and ordered through the new D/X "Soul" website. First I wanted to see just how bright the XT40 is with my own eyes and secondly I wanted to see how fast I could get an order from the new D/X USA website. I figure it should take about 10 working days to get the order ( if all goes well ). In the mean time I'm still waiting for another order from China ( 6 x XM-L2 with 3 steady modes ) which hopefully should get here sometime next week. Should make for a interesting head to head shoot out.
    Hopefully you will have better transit times than I did. I ordered mine on the 14th from DXsoul and it arrived today (the 31st). 16 days isn't bad I guess when it's coming half way around the world. The tracking shows it coming from Hong Kong. here's some pictures of the packaging and the contents. The light is pretty compact. I plan on testing it against my 2x and 3x Securitying lights in the next couple of days.

Solar Storm XT40 + Xtar VP2 + Torchy 3400mah + Battery Box - with pictures...-2014-10-31-15.13.41.jpgSolar Storm XT40 + Xtar VP2 + Torchy 3400mah + Battery Box - with pictures...-2014-10-31-15.14.38.jpg

mtbr member
    Interesting you chose to show size against a scale (I'm a land surveyor / engineering tech). My wife pulled a scale out of the drawer at home once and couldn't figure out how to measure with it!

Let us know your impressions with the light. Guess you got the head only? I ask, cuz it appears you get a "Pannova" case when you get it with the battery pack.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Garry,

I'm a Skatepark Designer by trade so lots of engineering scales laying around the office I wanted to give people a sense of the size of the lamp. I think the photos in the first posts make it look quite a bit larger than it actually is. I found the lamp only for $35 shipped at DXsoul.com and I already have an 8 cell Chinese battery I use with my 3x lamp so I figured I would give that a try with the new lamp. I have a couple of Chinese batteries that were garbage, so if I'm going to spend any more cash on batteries, I going to buy some quality ones or build my own.

mtbr member
    Hopefully you will have better transit times than I did. I ordered mine on the 14th from DXsoul and it arrived today (the 31st). 16 days isn't bad I guess when it's coming half way around the world. The tracking shows it coming from Hong Kong....
    Well that's discouraging. I ordered from DX soul as well thinking it was being shipped from a US warehouse. I ordered mine on the 18th so I guess that means I have at least 4 more days to wait. I guess that means all that USA warehouse stuff is just bogus. Next time I'll check to see if they have the item in stock before ordering.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Looking forward to see what your guys reckon! Still stoked with mine

mtbr member
    @ mtrain; Are you able to tell if you got the XT40 with XM-L2 emitters?

mtbr member
    @ mtrain; Are you able to tell if you got the XT40 with XM-L2 emitters?
    How would I check and see? Do I need to take the light apart?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Xm-l have green base. Xm-l2 have white bases.

mtbr member
    How would I check and see? Do I need to take the light apart?
    Compare your LEDs to this reference page.

XM-L:

XM-L2:

-Garry

mtbr member
    Looks like I got XM-L's even though they specced it with XM-L2's

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Looks like I got XM-L's even though they specced it with XM-L2's

I was afraid of that.
    "By Your Command"

Just Ride !
    I was afraid of that.
    Hopefully Cat got the L2 version and @mtrain I would send that sucker back !!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by C.M.S View Post
    Hopefully Cat got the L2 version and @mtrain I would send that sucker back !!
    I sent them an email but I hoping it's not more trouble than it is worth.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I sent them an email but I hoping it's not more trouble than it is worth.
    Item pictured on the site is XM-L2. They may ask you to send it back which would be a pain. How is the brightness of the XML?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GJHS View Post
    Item pictured on the site is XM-L2. They may ask you to send it back which would be a pain. How is the brightness of the XML?
    It seems very bright, although I haven't had time to do a comparison with my securitying 3x light yet.

mtbr member

XT40 is in; Initial quicky observation

Got mine today. LED's are definitely XM-L2. Not sure but they might even be U2 bin because the color tint is very white. Unfortunately I really didn't get a whole lot of time to play with it while at work tonight but I did shine it around a couple times.

With the four reflectors I really was expecting more of a defined hot spot. While there is a hot spot when looking at a wall pattern the hot spot really expands once it gets beyond the 20 ft. mark. Looks like it will make a pretty nice bar lamp. It is quite bright. Just doing some quick comparisons with some of my other lamps it pretty much looks to beat most of the other Chinese stuff I have although the Hero2 I have ( SSX3 clone ) comes pretty close and might have a tighter hot spot.

If I had to estimate I would say it might be near 1700 to 1800 lumen which would make it a little brighter than my Gloworm X2 (v3 ). The GWX2 though probably has the better all around beam pattern ..but I need to do more testing on actual trails so I can judge how useable the beam pattern is. The light really does seem to spread out once beyond 100 ft. which would lead me to believe that it wouldn't work so well as a helmet lamp. Then again I might be completely wrong about that as well. I really need to do a ride with this lamp. I'm thinking of playing hookie tomorrow from work as tomorrow is suppose to be a really nice ( warm ) day. Oh the pain of having to work nights.

On a side note the XT40 is pretty light-weight as lamps go. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Good I suppose as it will stay in place better on the bars than some of my heavier lamps but the light weight might mean that the lamp has very little in the way of thermal heat sinking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I LOVE the even beam pattern in the pics. Looks like the perfect bar light. My gf ordered one for each of us!

Just Ride !
    Sounds like that's my next light .. Bye bye 808 & 816 clone ..

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ordered mine from GearBest.com because it was the complete package with battery. Even though the battery may not be the best, $42 for the XT40 with confirmed XM-L2 emitters and a battery is a great deal.

since 4/10/2009
    I just dropped in on this light minus battery for $35.71 shipped as an upgrade for my bar mounted securitying 3x cree light. We will see how it goes...

Highest quality and Cheap SolarStorm XT40 4 x Cree XM-L2 T6 2000lm 4-Mode White Bicycle Light - Black (4 / 6 / 8 x 18650) on sale
    I went ahead with one of these sans battery, also. I have a few good batteries lying around that should be able to power this light for awhile, so I'm in no hurry to buy more batteries...especially crappy ones.

I've been using a couple Magicshine 808's for several years, mostly for commuting, but have gotten by with them on the trail. This light should be a nice upgrade for trail riding comparatively speaking, regardless of which emitters mine ships with (hoping for the better emitters, though).

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I don't have a battery pack with sufficient capacity for a lighthead with ~3A draw and didn't want to play the battery pack lottery, so we went with the FastTech one with the battery case and got some Panasonic 3400's from a separate site (the stated shipping time for a FT order with batteries was ridiculous).

mtbr member
    Got mine today. LED's are definitely XM-L2. Not sure but they might even be U2 bin because the color tint is very white.
    Ok, just pulled the trigger sans battery....

From DXSOUL, keep you posted on shipping time,
    SolarStorm XT40 4 x Cree XM-L2
    Last edited by patski; 11-04-2014 at 10:28 PM.

Just Ride !
    Ordered mine from GearBest.com because it was the complete package with battery. Even though the battery may not be the best, $42 for the XT40 with confirmed XM-L2 emitters and a battery is a great deal.

Link ? they show not havin it

mtbr member
    Search "xt40" on GearBests site. They spelled SolarStorm wrong.

-Garry

Just Ride !
    Search "xt40" on GearBests site. They spelled SolarStorm wrong.

-Garry

Gearbest more reputable than DX or fasttech ?

mtbr member
    Certainly cheaper, $52.50 at DXSOUL with battery....

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My first light order was from FastTech. I ordered the Yinding and got not at all what was pictured. The mount was wrong, the connectors, you all know that story. I contacted them and got no where

GearBest I have been dealing with a while now with DashCams and action cams. I have good dealings with them so far with my SJ4000 action cam and have read generally good reviews on other forums. I will say that they seem to offer pretty low prices compared to other sites. I will also say that with my two cameras, I was happy with the quality and legitimacy of the items. I contacted them about the XT40 in XM-L2 U2 and spoke with Dora. She was quick to help and very friendly. I have light coming so we will see, as soon I get it, I will post my rating.
    Last edited by GJHS; 11-06-2014 at 02:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Link ? they show not havin it
    Solarstrom XT40 4 x Cree XM-L2 2200lm 4-Mode 18650 LED Headlamp with 4-18650 Battery Pack-47.86 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
    Coupon code SolarstormXT40
    Price $41.99

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Sorry guys I didn't include the coupon for the $41.99 Solarstorm XT40 from GearBest.

It's SolarstormXT40

mtbr member

Trail walk-thru with XT-40

While at work today I had some luck and had time to sneak out to do a quick walk through at one of the local trails. Was a really nice day today with temps in the upper 60's F. Lot's of leaf cover on the trails but pretty dry conditions. I was dying to go for a ride but for now I had to settle for a quick after lunch walk through ( ~ 10:30pm ).

Using my mini AA torch to guide me to a good spot on the trail I turned the XT-40 on ( low ). Goodness this thing puts out! Even on low it has more light than the typical single XM-L lamp. The mode levels are space very well IMO. Medium is more light than anyone will typically need and HIGH....all I can say is , "Whoa"!! Very impressive. Could be I was wrong about this lamp not making a good helmet lamp. Most of the light is very forward throwing. People who are looking for more of a flood pattern might be disappointed...however, there is more light and spill on both medium and high to be very useful as a bar lamp.

If someone was to want a little more close in flood it shouldn't be too hard to mod two of the lower reflectors to add a little more flood. As for me I like it the way it is. I'm going to try mounting it on the helmet just for kicks. In my honest opinion though I think it will make an awesome bar lamp but as bright as the forward throw is I'm betting it will light things up a good ways mounted on a helmet as well.

After testing the XT40 I was so stoked I asked bossman if I might call out tomorrow. Bossman was in a good mood. If no one calls out tomorrow I'm good to go for a sweet full moon ride. Tomorrow night is suppose to be just as warm and just as dry with a full moon begging me to do some major riding. Nothing like a warm fall full moon ride with the sound of crunching leaves under my tires and the smell of wood smoke drifting in the air. I'm almost getting a HO just thinking about it.

Now if someone calls out tomorrow I'll likely be spewing 4-letter words all night.

mtbr member
    Awesome! Keep us posted on the ride! How's the heatsinking on this light? You torn it apart yet? Does a pill "float" or thread in? Heat pulled to the body well?

Thanks!
    -Garry

beater
    I've never done all that much night riding, and have never used more than a Gemini Titan on my helmet. But our club is doing night rides now, so I've been debating a bar light and this thread was well-timed. And with the discount code for gearbest, it wasn't hard to convince myself to give this one a shot.

mtbr member
    Last night I was able to do some brightness tests comparing the light to my 3x Securitying lamp. I set my camera on manual and tested both lights on high. Also tested the current draw on the 3 settings:

Low .34A
    Med .64A
    Hi 1.07A

3x Securitying
    Solar Storm XT40 + Xtar VP2 + Torchy 3400mah + Battery Box - with pictures...-securitying-3x.jpg

Xt40
    Solar Storm XT40 + Xtar VP2 + Torchy 3400mah + Battery Box - with pictures...-xt40.jpg

If you click on the images and go back and forth, you can see that the XT40 is significantly brighter, and in my opinion, has a smother transition from hot spot to flood. Seems like a tighter beam pattern as well. Mine came with XM-L's so you guys that got one with L2's should be even brighter. Hopefully tonight I can get outside to test them, weather has been wet around my house.
    Last edited by mtrain; 11-06-2014 at 09:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Things didn't go like I wanted today. I got called in and besides that the weather took an unexpected turn. No matter. Hopefully I'll get the weekend and next week I have off anyway so, to be continued..

Oh, I forgot to mention that I did do some quick ( 5m ) lux comparisons with some of my other cheap Chinese lamps and the XT40 beat out all of them. I did not however compare it to the Gloworm X2 which will make an interesting test when I get the time. Over the weekend I'll try to get some thermal measurements done as well. I did notice that when I was shining the light back in the woods that the lamp did get quite warm when used in the high mode. Still I'm not going to take the lamp apart to investigate more till I at least get a couple of good rides in.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Got mine today. LED's are definitely XM-L2. Not sure but they might even be U2 bin because the color tint is very white. Unfortunately I really didn't get a whole lot of time to play with it while at work tonight but I did shine it around a couple times.

With the four reflectors I really was expecting more of a defined hot spot. While there is a hot spot when looking at a wall pattern the hot spot really expands once it gets beyond the 20 ft. mark. Looks like it will make a pretty nice bar lamp. It is quite bright. Just doing some quick comparisons with some of my other lamps it pretty much looks to beat most of the other Chinese stuff I have although the Hero2 I have ( SSX3 clone ) comes pretty close and might have a tighter hot spot.

If I had to estimate I would say it might be near 1700 to 1800 lumen which would make it a little brighter than my Gloworm X2 (v3 ). The GWX2 though probably has the better all around beam pattern ..but I need to do more testing on actual trails so I can judge how useable the beam pattern is. The light really does seem to spread out once beyond 100 ft. which would lead me to believe that it wouldn't work so well as a helmet lamp. Then again I might be completely wrong about that as well. I really need to do a ride with this lamp. I'm thinking of playing hookie tomorrow from work as tomorrow is suppose to be a really nice ( warm ) day. Oh the pain of having to work nights.

On a side note the XT40 is pretty light-weight as lamps go. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Good I suppose as it will stay in place better on the bars than some of my heavier lamps but the light weight might mean that the lamp has very little in the way of thermal heat sinking.

Great initial write up

I can totally agree about the 100ft spread, look at it in my OP pics, amazing distance beyond the tree!

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Awesome! Keep us posted on the ride! How's the heatsinking on this light? You torn it apart yet? Does a pill "float" or thread in? Heat pulled to the body well?

Thanks!
    -Garry

If you guys are getting the same batch as me I think you'll find the heat sink fantastic, only mode it gets hot on is high when stopped...

"Heat concerns

When moving on High the XT40 is warm to the touch, after a fast descent its timid to the touch. Once stationary it gets hot to touch, after around 2-3 minutes it dims down slightly and puts itself into medium mode!

This is great as sometimes I forget to turn onto low when stopping for a mid ride snack etc.

On low and medium modes, both moving and stationary heat remains low.The heatsink appears to work as intended, heating up quickly on high mode and dissipating the heat efficiently when moving, with built in protection once stopped. The above tests have been on the recent balmy 16-18*c nights too, come next weekend riding in single digit figures i'd wager it to run even cooler."

7am Backcountry ;- )
    While at work today I had some luck and had time to sneak out to do a quick walk through at one of the local trails. Was a really nice day today with temps in the upper 60's F. Lot's of leaf cover on the trails but pretty dry conditions. I was dying to go for a ride but for now I had to settle for a quick after lunch walk through ( ~ 10:30pm ).

Using my mini AA torch to guide me to a good spot on the trail I turned the XT-40 on ( low ). Goodness this thing puts out! Even on low it has more light than the typical single XM-L lamp. The mode levels are space very well IMO. Medium is more light than anyone will typically need and HIGH....all I can say is , "Whoa"!! Very impressive. Could be I was wrong about this lamp not making a good helmet lamp. Most of the light is very forward throwing. People who are looking for more of a flood pattern might be disappointed...however, there is more light and spill on both medium and high to be very useful as a bar lamp.

If someone was to want a little more close in flood it shouldn't be too hard to mod two of the lower reflectors to add a little more flood. As for me I like it the way it is. I'm going to try mounting it on the helmet just for kicks. In my honest opinion though I think it will make an awesome bar lamp but as bright as the forward throw is I'm betting it will light things up a good ways mounted on a helmet as well.

After testing the XT40 I was so stoked I asked bossman if I might call out tomorrow. Bossman was in a good mood. If no one calls out tomorrow I'm good to go for a sweet full moon ride. Tomorrow night is suppose to be just as warm and just as dry with a full moon begging me to do some major riding. Nothing like a warm fall full moon ride with the sound of crunching leaves under my tires and the smell of wood smoke drifting in the air. I'm almost getting a HO just thinking about it.

Now if someone calls out tomorrow I'll likely be spewing 4-letter words all night.

I was awestruck, and still am when riding out with the XT40, mindblowing how much it turns the trails into daylight.

I use it on the bar solely, not tried it on the helmet. Its the first light i've properly felt I can use without a helmet light, on all but the most twisty trails.

I used to run two SSX2 on bar and helmet, then a SSX3 on bar and SSX2 on helmet. Recently i've just been taking out the XT40 on bar.

mtbr member
    Great initial write up

I can totally agree about the 100ft spread, look at it in my OP pics, amazing distance beyond the tree!

From what I can tell your photo is an accurate representation of what the XT40 can do. Like all photos involving paved surfaces things do tend to look better but yep, this looks like what I was looking at while back in the woods. These things give you your $35 worth and more. Just hope it doesn't over heat while using it.

Right now I'm in my second day of rain. Bummer. Should clear up by the weekend though.

Just Ride !
    From what I can tell your photo is an accurate representation of what the XT40 can do. Like all photos involving paved surfaces things do tend to look better but yep, this looks like what I was looking at while back in the woods. These things give you your $35 worth and more. Just hope it doesn't over heat while using it.

Right now I'm in my second day of rain. Bummer. Should clear up by the weekend though.
    Hopefully weather gets good out your way , that light looks highly tempting , although a big part of me wants to go the semi expensive route and pull the trigger on a Gemini Olympia and call it a day !

mtbr member
    I finally got an email back from DXsoul about them sending me the light with XM-L's instead of L2's. They offered me $5 back and I took it. Anyone ordering from them I would contact them ahead of time and confirm that they have ones with XM-L2 in stock.

Or for only 7 bucks more than the light only at DXsoul order it from gearbest and get a mystery battery thrown in for fun!

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Compare your LEDs to this reference page.

XM-L:

XM-L2:

-Garry

LED comparisons on the XT40, XML T6 and SSX2

Size comparison

Weight comparison

mtbr member

Bad News

I was going to try to take a ride with the XT40 tonight but once again got tied up with chores so for some reason I decided to take the front off the lamp. My plan was to just polish the emitter domes a bit and to buff the reflectors and front lens. Took the front off and got a big surprise. The heat sink arrangement for this lamp is well, putting it mildly, almost non-existent.

The emitters are attached to a MCPCB ( metal-core-printed-circuit-board...for those who don't know what that means.) No problem with the board but it is only able to dissipate heat through four tiny posts that hold the board. No thermal paste or anything else for that matter holds the board in place other than the pressure from the reflectors and the front lens.
    These four posts are only about 4mm x 4mm in size. Practically "squat". I would of rather had at least a small lip going all way round but such was not the case. I guess this helps explain why the lamp is so light weight. With this kind of arrangement, no way would I trust to use this lamp to use unless I brought a back-up. I threw some thermal paste on the four posts for the hell of it but with such a small contact area I doubt it's going to make that much of a difference.

When finished I tried to mount the lamp to my helmet. When mounted I noticed that the lamp moved much too easily while on the mount. When I took the lamp back off I noticed that the plastic O-ring mount did not have a rubber insert. Luckily I had another plastic mount in my parts box but jeez...I think this is a new level for low quality standards. Oh, almost forgot to mention, this lamp doesn't use a typical rubber o-ring to prevent water ingress through the front. I would think it a good idea to put some clear silicone around the outside edge of the front lens just to be sure. As it is right now, one good rain and it's a goner ( IMO ).

Just Ride !
    ^^ well, that's a buzz kill ^^ after some thought I'm going to invest in some Gemini lights . I mean I guess that xt40 might be ok if you rode when dry only and used it in typical chilly fall climate .

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    ^^ well, that's a buzz kill ^^ after some thought I'm going to invest in some Gemini lights . I mean I guess that xt40 might be ok if you rode when dry only and used it in typical chilly fall climate .
    I would consider Gloworm instead of Gemini.

The Gloworm X2 3.1 outputs about 1500 lumens. It is priced just a little more than the Gemini Duo, but has output just shy of the Olympia. After introducing the Xera and substituting the XM-L for XM-L2 emitters in the Duo and Olympia, Gemini hasn't done much improvement to their lights, batteries or mounts in the last 12months. Gemini was on the top 3 of my list last winter, but I'd say the competition has left them behind for now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by C.M.S
    Yeah, we'll see how it goes. A lot depends on how much current is going through the emitters. The MCPCB is pretty big ( though not thick ) and some heat is picked-up by the metal reflectors. I just wish the contact area connecting to the lamp body was better.

On the upside it feels fine on the helmet. I did some more shine-arounds last night while on the job. From what I can tell the useable distance range is going to be somewhere around 160-200 ft. I'll get a better feel for range when I actually take it for a ride. Shining the lamp around while standing still is fine but nothing substitutes the experience of how well you can see with a lamp unless you are moving.

Just Ride !
    Yeah, we'll see how it goes. A lot depends on how much current is going through the emitters. The MCPCB is pretty big ( though not thick ) and some heat is picked-up by the metal reflectors. I just wish the contact area connecting to the lamp body was better.

On the upside it feels fine on the helmet. I did some more shine-arounds last night while on the job. From what I can tell the useable distance range is going to be somewhere around 160-200 ft. I'll get a better feel for range when I actually take it for a ride. Shining the lamp around while standing still is fine but nothing substitutes the experience of how well you can see with a lamp unless you are moving.
    So is this thing the brightest cheap Chinese light around in a practical size?

mtbr member
    So is this thing the brightest cheap Chinese light around in a practical size?
    I don't know if it's the brightest but it's one of the brightest. . . the NiteFire Hero II
    I have ( DX brand SSX3 clone ) comes close but it only uses the xml u2. I still need a really small hex wrench ( 1mm ) to get the front off of the Hero II. If I get that off depending on what I see I might be able to transplant a complete board off of another X3 that is using XM-L2's ( depending of course on which has the better driver ). Beam pattern of the X3's are a little tighter than the XT40's ( which makes for better helmet use ). Still the XT40 puts out a wide conical spot that when held head high illuminates a large area. This means it could make a decent "one lamp" system when mounted on the helmet. Provided of course that there are no major thermal issues which at this point is very questionable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Does your XT40 look like this from another thread?
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  41.8 KB

Just Ride !
    I don't know if it's the brightest but it's one of the brightest. . . the NiteFire Hero II
    I have ( DX brand SSX3 clone ) comes close but it only uses the xml u2. I still need a really small hex wrench ( 1mm ) to get the front off of the Hero II. If I get that off depending on what I see I might be able to transplant a complete board off of another X3 that is using XM-L2's ( depending of course on which has the better driver ). Beam pattern of the X3's are a little tighter than the XT40's ( which makes for better helmet use ). Still the XT40 puts out a wide conical spot that when held head high illuminates a large area. This means it could make a decent "one lamp" system when mounted on the helmet. Provided of course that there are no major thermal issues which at this point is very questionable.
    I'm still in a quest to get my right set up , I ride heavily wooded tight twisty turny trails with plenty of roots and rocky terrain that is high speed at the same time and I asked Jim at action about Gemini's and he said Duo/Xera set up would be more than enough bc I'm a bit worn out trying to figure out all these hundreds of Chinese clones then clones of clones choices .

mtbr member
    Does your XT40 look like this from another thread?
Views: 1110
Size:  41.8 KB
    Close but not exactly. Different board, different LED's. Since I can't see behind the board I have no idea what is behind it.

@ C.M.S. ; If you can afford the good lights by all means buy them. Since you ride the twisty wooded trails you might want a wider beam coming off the helmet at some point. Right now the X3's are looking good at providing that. I don't doubt an Xera is a nice lamp but it is a single emitter lamp and as such will have a much narrower beam pattern. I have more than a couple single emitter lamps and while I like many of them for certain types of trails I'm not satisfied with the narrow beam patterns. I want something a little wider and a little brighter coming off the helmet ( although not too wide )

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Here ya go
Views: 1080
Size:  34.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  38.3 KB
    Here's the thread Solarstorm XT30 / XT40 - anyone?

Just Ride !
    Close but not exactly. Different board, different LED's. Since I can't see behind the board I have no idea what is behind it.

@ C.M.S. ; If you can afford the good lights by all means buy them. Since you ride the twisty wooded trails you might want a wider beam coming off the helmet at some point. Right now the X3's are looking good at providing that. I don't doubt an Xera is a nice lamp but it is a single emitter lamp and as such will have a much narrower beam pattern. I have more than a couple single emitter lamps and while I like many of them for certain types of trails I'm not satisfied with the narrow beam patterns. I want something a little wider and a little brighter coming off the helmet ( although not too wide )
    I'm sure I'll be collecting more and more clones just bc I like collecting things that are cool and highly affordable lol. And I'm pretty darn sure I'll be getting that XT40 ..

7am Backcountry ;- )
    I've took mine on many wet rides, pretty much rode into a cloud up on one of the peaks here, no issues with water ingress thus far. Temps also seem ok and only gets hot if on high and not moving, once moving its just timid to touch again.

Does this mean the inside is getting too hot?

The fact the outer heats up so quickly on high, says to me the heat is making the outer casing quite well.

I may have to take the front off mine, but not sure I want to break anything LOL

mtbr member
    I've took mine on many wet rides, pretty much rode into a cloud up on one of the peaks here, no issues with water ingress thus far. Temps also seem ok and only gets hot if on high and not moving, once moving its just timid to touch again.

Does this mean the inside is getting too hot?

The fact the outer heats up so quickly on high, says to me the heat is making the outer casing quite well.

I may have to take the front off mine, but not sure I want to break anything LOL
    I can't answer your question but at least it's encouraging to hear that someone has one that seems to be holding up.

It could be that the emitters are so under-driven that heat isn't an issue. I'm not a rocket scientist so thermal dynamics is not my field. Regardless I'd feel better if there was a better thermal path to the outer body. In the other thread someone mentioned something about a thermal power-down circuit. When I use mine I'll make note if I see my lamp powering down. I'll also do a 5m lux test ( before and after ) to make note of any loss in luminous output. I may also do some static thermal testing at home to see what happens. Regardless I never test a lamp more than a couple minutes without moving air.

mtbr member

XT40 trail test

Did a quick little ride tonight using the XT40 on the helmet ( Gloworm X2 (v3) on the bars ). Turned out to be a cold ride, 45F which is cold by CMD standards as I hate colder weather.

I rode a short section of mild single track that was pretty much completely covered with leaves but at least the trails were dry so that helped. I have to admit I was pretty impressed with what I was seeing. The XT40 was working very well on the helmet. The size of the lamp is deceiving as it is no more noticeable weight-wise than any other typical single emitter helmet lamp. Matter of fact I would say it is actually lighter!

First thing I wanted to make certain was to make sure the XT40 did the brunt of the work while doing my ride. Most of the ride I only had the X2 set to low ( ~ 300 lumen ). After that most of the time I was only using the low and medium setting on the XT40. Surprisingly the low setting works very well at moderate speeds and the beam pattern was working great regardless of what output level I was using. When I turned the XT40 up to medium mode I pretty much had no problem seeing anything. High level only put more icing on the cake.

I really, really liked the wider conical beam pattern coming off the helmet. When I came to a particular 4-way trail intersection, with all the leaf cover it would of been real hard to pick-up all the trails but the XT40 lit up the whole area well enough for me to see all the choices at one time. This is something that the narrower spot lamps can't do.

Not long after I found a nice trail with a pretty good straight away section. I paced off about 180 ft. At that spot I found a small log ( ~ 10cm diameter ) and laid it on the trail. I wanted to see if I could see that small ( natural ) object at 180 ft. ( 55m ). I tested both the Gloworm and the XT40 separately to see if I could pick-up the top of the log. Both lamps could pick-up the log. The only difference was the XT40 was doing it with a wider beam pattern. Pretty much this confirms the "useable range" of the XT40 that I mentioned in one of my earlier posts. Later when I got back to the parking area I found that when shining the XT40 over a grass field the light will reach much more further. So far I'm liking what I'm seeing.

The trails I were riding were full of twists and turns. The wider beam pattern coming off of the helmet just had me seeing everything, WAY before I had to. This I just had to love.

Obviously riding in the fall has some advantages. There is isn't the same amount of trail-side foliage that can block or reflect back light but on the flip side there is more debris covering the trails making them harder to see. I think this is one of the first rides I've done in the fall at night were I felt completely comfortable in every situation. In the fall the wider beam pattern off the helmet works fantastic.

Tomorrow I'm planning a ride at a park with some sweet 7 miles of roller-coaster type single track. If all goes well it should make for an interesting evaluation / ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Awesome CMD, how was the heat situation? Did the light even get hot in the cool weather?

beater

Solar Storm XT40 + Xtar VP2 + Torchy 3400mah + Battery Box - with pictures...

I'm still waiting on mine from gearbest, but I'm reassured to read this. I'll be using mine as a bar light with a Gemini Titan on my helmet. Night riding for me is a fall activity, which generally means temps below 50, and I'll climb with just the Gemini (or nothing, if the moon is out). The XT40 is for the downhills. The Gemini gives plenty of light for looking through turns, but I'm excited about having the big light for the straightaways and the 2nd light angle. Can't wait!

mtbr member

Continued from Test ride 1

Awesome CMD, how was the heat situation? Did the light even get hot in the cool weather?
    I knew someone was going to ask this. While riding I was wearing full gloves so I couldn't tell if the lamp was getting hot or not and it would of been too much of a PITA to remove the gloves. Regardless I need to do a proper thermal test inside under ambient room temp using an infrared thermometer and with a fan to provide moving air. When I do that I'll also take some lux readings just to see how much light output is lost when the lamp heats up. I don't know if I'll test the lamps ability to provide a self thermal power-down because I don't like it when the lamp heats up beyond 125F ( 51.6C ). Last thing I want to do is toast the LED's. If there is a thermal ( circuit ) power-down while I'm testing it I'll let you know.

@ evasive: You might also consider getting a flood lens for the Titan and running that on the bars with XT40 on the helmet. If you own one of the typical MS helmet mounts you would be good to go. While riding tonight I tried riding with just the XT40 on ( bar lamp off ) just to see what that would be like. Actually worked pretty well but you don't get much light close to the bike that way. I figure with just a small lamp on the bars putting out 300 lumen in a flood pattern you'd be good at seeing stuff close to the bike. Either way the setup you propose will likely work fine. Don't be surprised if you find you only need to run low off the bars most of the time when using the XT40 on the bars.

On a side note I noticed when I got back to the car and took the helmet off that the battery indicator was on the last green led and flashing. This surprised me. I was using my Xeccon 6000mAh Lipo battery and really hadn't been riding that long. To check this out I took the connecters apart and reattached. When I did this the indicators went back to three green leds. I turned the lamp back on and did some more shine-arounds. When finished the lamp was on two leds ( and holding ). Basically what this tells me is that the ( XT40 ) connector doesn't work as well with standard MS type connectors. It works okay but if the connection isn't real tight it will give a false reading with the indicators. ( note, the XT40 comes with a connector that uses the screw-on type sleeve. If it gives me any problems I'll just make my own adapter but for now I'm fine. )

Just Ride !
    That's awesome news , bc I need a lamp like that on my head , SSX2 just doesn't cut it for me .. I'm wondering if one on bar and head would be killer sweet .

7am Backcountry ;- )
    One on bar and head, well that would be a sight to behold

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Did a quick little ride tonight using the XT40 on the helmet ( Gloworm X2 (v3) on the bars ). Turned out to be a cold ride, 45F which is cold by CMD standards as I hate colder weather.

I rode a short section of mild single track that was pretty much completely covered with leaves but at least the trails were dry so that helped. I have to admit I was pretty impressed with what I was seeing. The XT40 was working very well on the helmet. The size of the lamp is deceiving as it is no more noticeable weight-wise than any other typical single emitter helmet lamp. Matter of fact I would say it is actually lighter!

*snip*

It just gets better and better

I find the battery LEDs can drop to one very quickly on my x4 3400mah pack, but I can get another 2- 4hours on my ride without getting the blinking. On getting home batteries tend to be around 3.67volts. I think my cable might be too thin for the high ampage?

Just Ride !
    One on bar and head, well that would be a sight to behold
    I'm sure it would be major overkill lol

@ CMD , so you liked the narrow/ flood combo rather than the norm of most folks (flood/narrow )

mtbr member
    I'm sure it would be major overkill lol

@ CMD , so you liked the narrow/ flood combo rather than the norm of most folks (flood/narrow )
    Not sure what you're asking. (?) What I like depends on the terrain I'm riding but over the years I've generally liked wider beam patterns off the bars and a spot coming off the helmet. Most of that though was based on the limitations of the lighting that was available at the time. Recently though things have changed. More power is now available with bike lighting and that changes things a bit.

Currently I like a bar lamp to have a nice mix of flood and throw. Finding a good bar lamp is pretty easy to do nowadays. As for helmet lighting I still like something that can offer useable throw around 200 ft or more, however I now prefer the beam pattern to be somewhat wider. Not too wide though. Finding the right mix for throw coupled with a moderate beam width with a helmet lamp is not easy to do and requires a bit of extra power. Most higher end lighting being sold now tend to include optics that disperse the light a bit more. While this make them better for the bars it can dilute the throw to a point to where it is not as useful if you choose to mount the lamp to a helmet.

An example of this can be found with both the Gemini and DiNotte lamps. Both the Gemini Olympia and the DiNotte XML-3 have the potential to make excellent helmet lamps as both have outputs over 2000 lumen. The problem is both are using dispersal lenses to spread the beam patterns out more. While this works great while on the bars I would like to see these companies offer a choice of optics, particularly if they could offer something with a little more throw for helmet usage. With a 3-up LED configuration the beam pattern will still be wider than typical single emitter lamps even when using spot optics.

What makes the XT40 work well as a helmet lamp is that it is using a series of small reflectors which tend to provide a medium size conical spot. The more emitters the bigger the spot. Now if we could get the Chinese to power all of those emitters nearer to 3A and use better thermal dispersal design while doing so the output would be even better. Of course if that were the case you would likely have more run time issues but nothing that using a bigger battery couldn't solve.

Going forward I think it won't be long before you start seeing more lamps outputting 2000 lumen or greater and designed for ultimate helmet lighting. Right now the Lupine Wilma 7 and the Gloworm XS are the only lamps with the right size/weight ratio providing decent output to offer "Premium" helmet lighting. The Wilma succeeds because of the number of emitters it uses and it's sheer power. The Gloworm XS succeeds because it offers a choice of optics with a decent amount of output.

Sorry folks, I couldn't get out to do my planned ride tonight. Hopefully tomorrow.

mtbr member

XT40: Trail test #2

I pulled another ride tonight with the XT40 on the helmet but this time a little longer. Truthfully it was such a nice night I wanted to ride another couple hours but unfortunately I wasn't feeling really well tonight. With this in mind I once again rode my local trails so I could bail out early if needed. With the stomach problems I was having I had to be careful not to over do it. I hate it when stuff like this happens but it is what it is and I had to deal with it.

I did however find a couple good-swoopy-fast sections of trail to ride. This once again enabled me to test the XT40's ability to illuminate my way on some really fast technical sections. Man, I was dodging/hopping roots, ruts and trees as if they weren't there. If it wasn't for the stomach woes I would of been having the time of my life. I think this is the first time I've ever rode these sections at night with this much confidence and comfort. I almost felt like I was riding during the day. The XT40 on the helmet had me seeing all the best lines even before I could get to the turns. As a result I was pushing the same speed I might normally ride in the day. Too bad my mojo just wasn't there to help me out tonight. With the stomach discomfort I was experiencing and lack of energy I just had to call it quits early and limp slowly back to the car. Crap I hate when this stuff happens.

Some after thoughts; I didn't see the lamp heating up too much and it was a balmy 65F night. Compared to the Gloworm X2 they were both about the same temperature.

Tomorrow is looking good for a ride. I just hope I feel better. For some reason the change of seasons always throws my insides for a loop. Usually takes me a couple weeks to acclimate to the time and change in temperatures. Funny too, just when I was getting used to the cold we had a warm day.

mtbr member
    I finally made it out with mine last night and used it as a bar light with an x2 as a helmet light. My ride consisted of a 1 hour climb up a logging road, 30 minute high speed decent, and then about a 30 minute XC trail back out to the car. I ran it on low up the logging road and ran both lights on high for the decent and trail out. It worked well as a bar light but I think I want something with a little more light around the front tire. My next night ride I am going to try the XT40 as a helmet light and my Securitying 3x with the wide angle lens on the bars.

I also spun the Chinese light roulette wheel again and ordered another XT40 off of gearbest. Hopefully this one comes with XM-L2's as advertised. It will be interesting to compare to my current one with XM-L's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I had a SSX2 go out on me last night on a ride. Luckily, I got it on Amazon and got a refund, so I pulled the trigger on the XT40 from GearBest. I am happy on the upgrade!

Ended up being a bad battery and could replace, but would rather upgrade. I don't know why we are all so hooked on this game of roulette. My SSX2 lasted all of 2 rides. Hopefully this XT40 is the real deal.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    @mtrain did you try pointing it down slightly, I find front wheel coverage good when bar mounted?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast