Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    7am Backcountry ;- )

Solar Storm XT40 + Xtar VP2 + Torchy 3400mah + Battery Box - with pictures...

Evening guys,

Review of the Solar Storm XT40 with battery box

$52.82 SolarStorm XT40 4*Cree XM-L2 U2 4-Mode 3000LM LED Bike Light / Headlamp - black / 1*battery pack / US plug at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

After running the SSX2 and SSX3 the XT40 is my new fav trail daylight bringer!

XT40

Looks fantastic on the bars...

Daylight! ...

Beam shots

Comparisons

Some low, medium, high comparisons

LOW...

MEDIUM...

HIGH (the distance, height, and throw of the light is phenomenal. Look at the trees and the ground after the trees)...

Battery box fits snugly in the Blur frame

Heat concerns

When moving on High the XT40 is warm to the touch, after a fast descent its timid to the touch. Once stationary it gets hot to touch, after around 2-3 minutes it dims down slightly and puts itself into medium mode!

This is great as sometimes I forget to turn onto low when stopping for a mid ride snack etc.

On low and medium modes, both moving and stationary heat remains low.The heatsink appears to work as intended, heating up quickly on high mode and dissipating the heat efficiently when moving, with built in protection once stopped. The above tests have been on the recent balmy 16-18*c nights too, come next weekend riding in single digit figures i'd wager it to run even cooler.

Xtar VP2 Charger

Xtar VP2 charger considered to be one of the best 2 bays on the market. Has a 0.25, 0.5 and 1.0 amp charge setting, volt reading, and took around 2.5 hours for a pair on full setting. (This is quicker than my old Nitecore I4 which only delivered 0.375 amp when all four bays used)

Perfect cutoff at 4.19v...

Four Torchy 3400 mah unprotected 18650 fit perfect in the solarstorm battery box and lid seals fully...

Nice secure screw down top cap...

Batteries @ 3.76 from 4.19 volts, not bad after a 2.5 hour ride on x4 CREE XM - L2 U2 with a mix of medium and high...

Conclusion

Overall i'd rate the XT40 very highly, I don't really feel the need to wear a headtorch anymore, the beam cast in terms of width and throw is truly astonishing. SSX2 and SSX3 are confined to the drawer for spares. Medium setting is really enough for anything but the steepest of trails, high is just mind blowing.
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Does the battery indicator turn off after you turn off the headlamp?

Where did you get the charger?

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Hey Khrystyan,

No the LEDs stay on when the lamp is off, very very minimal power draw though, same as the SSX2 + SSX3 once battery hooked up it displays the indicators.

Charger from here

Xtar VP2 Dual Bay Lithium-ion Battery Charger

In depth review of VP2

Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Any idea how true the 3000 lumen claim is?
    DaveH
    '13 Specialized Camber
    '13 9:ZERO:7
    '11 Specialized Hardrock

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post
    If the spec's are correct...with a 2.8A driver, that's 700mah to each LED. The spec's on an XM-L2 U2 at 700mah is about 350lms. Putting this light at about 1400lms.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Evening Neons so would that make the Solar Storm X2 700 lms? That was my previous go to light of choice before the XT40

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post

Specs on the XM - L2 here

XLamp XM-L2
    Delivering breakthrough lumen output and efficacy

Built on the SC³ Technology Platform, the XLamp XM-L2 LED delivers up to 20% more lumens and lumens-per-watt and double the lumens-per-dollar of the original XM-L. The XM-L2 LED offers the unique combination of high efficacy and high lumen output at high drive currents, delivering an unprecedented 1198 lumens at 116 lumens-per-watt efficacy at 3 A, 25°C.

pdf Download data sheet

Specifications
    Variations
    Documentation
    Multimedia
    Size (mm x mm) 5 x 5
    Maximum drive current (A) 3
    Maximum power (W) 10
    Light output Up to 1052 lm @ 10 W, 85°C
    Typical forward voltage (V) 2.85
    Viewing angle (degrees) 125
    Binning 85°C, ANSI
    Thermal resistance (°C/W) 2.5
    Reflow-solderable Yes – JEDEC J-STD-020C-compatible
    RoHS and REACH-compliant Yes
    UL-recognized component Yes – Level 4 Enclosure Consideration

Cree XLamp XM-L2 LEDs

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by capoz77 View Post
    Evening Neons so would that make the Solar Storm X2 700 lms? That was my previous go to light of choice before the XT40
    That's incorrect.

The SSX2 claims to also have a 2.8A driver. That means each emitter gets 1.4A instead of 700mah like in the XT40. If this is in-fact also true (key words here...how true are these driver current claims)...then each emitter is putting out about 550-600 lms for total of 1100-1200.

I have an SSX2 with XM-L T6 (one of the original "good ones") and I would say that it puts out about 1,000lms. Keep in mind SSX2's are generally still sold with the XM-L while the XT40 you listed is XM-L2. A diferent (newer, brighter emitter). It all comes down to how much current your driver can put out (at what voltage), and how well the light head can dissipate that heat before it goes to thermal shutdown/reduction.

Check this out:

Cree - Flashlight Wiki

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neons97 View Post
    That's incorrect.

The SSX2 claims to also have a 2.8A driver. That means each emitter gets 1.4A instead of 700mah like in the XT40. If this is in-fact also true (key words here...how true are these driver current claims)...then each emitter is putting out about 550-600 lms for total of 1100-1200.

I have an SSX2 with XM-L T6 (one of the original "good ones") and I would say that it puts out about 1,000lms. Keep in mind SSX2's are generally still sold with the XM-L while the XT40 you listed is XM-L2. A diferent (newer, brighter emitter). It all comes down to how much current your driver can put out (at what voltage), and how well the light head can dissipate that heat before it goes to thermal shutdown/reduction.

Check this out:

Cree - Flashlight Wiki
    Sorry it took me a couple days to respond to this because my monitor on my computer went out. I'm impressed with the new upgrade to the XT40. If the driver is indeed 2800ma I'm inclined to believe that the emitter are arranged 2S/2P. That would put 1400ma through each emitter. Without looking at the data sheet for the XM-L2 I would ballpark about 500 lumen per emitter, total of about 2000 lumen.

The photos make the lamp look bigger than it actually is. A photo taken from about 10 ft. away would make it look a little smaller. In the mean time I'm still waiting for the SSX3 to come out with XM-L2 U2. That said I would want at least a 6A driver so with a 3P set-up each emitter would see at least 2A ( 2000ma ). Too bad the XT40 doesn't have a 6A driver, if it did I wouldn't mind taking a look at one.

BTW, likely the better SSX2 ( or clones ) are 2S.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    In the Fasttech product page the title says XM-L2 but the description only has them as XM-L. Is there a way to determine which LED this light has?
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    In the Fasttech product page the title says XM-L2 but the description only has them as XM-L. Is there a way to determine which LED this light has?
    It's likely XM-L2 U2, probably a just a mistake in the product description, quite common with the Chinese web sites. If you want to know for sure you click on the "support" tab and then the "contact" tab.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Sorry it took me a couple days to respond to this because my monitor on my computer went out. I'm impressed with the new upgrade to the XT40. If the driver is indeed 2800ma I'm inclined to believe that the emitter are arranged 2S/2P. That would put 1400ma through each emitter. Without looking at the data sheet for the XM-L2 I would ballpark about 500 lumen per emitter, total of about 2000 lumen.

The photos make the lamp look bigger than it actually is. A photo taken from about 10 ft. away would make it look a little smaller. In the mean time I'm still waiting for the SSX3 to come out with XM-L2 U2. That said I would want at least a 6A driver so with a 3P set-up each emitter would see at least 2A ( 2000ma ). Too bad the XT40 doesn't have a 6A driver, if it did I wouldn't mind taking a look at one.

BTW, likely the better SSX2 ( or clones ) are 2S.
    I'm new to all this light stuff. Didn't even consider a 2S2P emitter set-up. That would completely make sense. If this really puts out around 2000 lumens, it's a pretty incredible deal for about $50.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neons97 View Post
    I'm new to all this light stuff. Didn't even consider a 2S2P emitter set-up. That would completely make sense. If this really puts out around 2000 lumens, it's a pretty incredible deal for about $50.
    Well, I'd say the deal would be sweeter if 3A were going through each emitter ( on high )
    Still, I've been waiting for someone to review these lights and I'm glad to see a review with a version made with the XM-L2 emitters. Looks like they might make a pretty good bar lamp if you don't mind the size.

Damn, I'm still waiting on the 6-up I'm suppose to review to arrive. It should come sometime this week but I'm starting to get antsy. I want it to arrive before the weather gets too cold or too rainy.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Hey guys,

It does look rather large on the bar in the pics, but in the hand its surprisingly compact, impresses people in the flesh on the overall neat styling.

RE the amount of juice going through the x4 XM -L2, it seems slightly better than running two SSX2's with one on the bar, one on the helmet. Whether this is helped by the fact all x4 LEDS are shining from the bar in a more consistent beam pattern, i'm not sure.

But from reading the above an SSX2 should put out more lumens per pair of LEDS, as more power to each LED? Yet on full the XT40 seems to outshine two SSX2, in spread, and distance particularly.

This might give a better idea on bar size, x5 mounted on one handlebar

Solar Storm XT40 + Xtar VP2 + Torchy 3400mah + Battery Box - with pictures...-image.jpg

mtbr member

RE the amount of juice going through the x4 XM -L2, it seems slightly better than running two SSX2's with one on the bar, one on the helmet. Whether this is helped by the fact all x4 LEDS are shining from the bar in a more consistent beam pattern, i'm not sure.

But from reading the above an SSX2 should put out more lumens per pair of LEDS, as more power to each LED? Yet on full the XT40 seems to outshine two SSX2, in spread, and distance particularly.
    Glad to hear the XT40 has some throw. Looks like you were impressed enough with one to buy some more.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Can't take the credit for that pic, it was a guy in the UK who was selling them £20 a light

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post

Here is the manufacturers page which gives the official specs

Solarstorm XT40 bike light ????

Descriptions:
    Dimensions:51mm(D)×45mm(W)
    Weight:131 g (Without battery pack)
    LED:4×CREE XM-L U2 LED
    Battery:4×18650 battery pack, 4800MAH
    Circuit:Digital CC circuit, power indicator system, Low-voltage alarming system.
    Mode:Low-Mid-High, hidden Strobe
    Dimming:Electronic pushbutton switch
    Lumens:2800Lums - 1500lums - 600lums - 2800lums
    Runtime:(4800MAH): 1h 40min-2h40min-7h-1h50min
    Material:Aluminum alloy
    Lens:Impact-resistant PC lens , White/ Red / Blue color
    Reflector:Metal reflector
    Waterproof:IPX-7, unable to support dive use.
    Mark:LED and mode are optional on your preference.

Just Ride !
    Every time i walk into the LBS and see the price tags on new bikes it makes me enjoy and appreciate my Ol' ride even more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Here is the manufacturers page which gives the official specs

Solarstorm XT40 bike light ????

Descriptions:
    Dimensions:51mm(D)×45mm(W)
    Weight:131 g (Without battery pack)
    LED:4×CREE XM-L U2 LED
    Battery:4×18650 battery pack, 4800MAH
    Circuit:Digital CC circuit, power indicator system, Low-voltage alarming system.
    Mode:Low-Mid-High, hidden Strobe
    Dimming:Electronic pushbutton switch
    Lumens:2800Lums - 1500lums - 600lums - 2800lums
    Runtime:(4800MAH): 1h 40min-2h40min-7h-1h50min
    Material:Aluminum alloy
    Lens:Impact-resistant PC lens , White/ Red / Blue color
    Reflector:Metal reflector
    Waterproof:IPX-7, unable to support dive use.
    Mark:LED and mode are optional on your preference.

Well I guess that answer the question if this was an XM-L or XM-L2 light. It's still a bright and effective on the trails at night.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    I found it here for $38.40 but the site seems fishy. Anyone heard of windyfire.com?

Solarstorm XT40 4XCREE XM-L U2 2800 Lumens bicycle light - Product - windyfire flashlights

mtbr member
    I just dropped in on this light minus battery for $35.71 shipped as an upgrade for my bar mounted securitying 3x cree light. We will see how it goes...

Highest quality and Cheap SolarStorm XT40 4 x Cree XM-L2 T6 2000lm 4-Mode White Bicycle Light - Black (4 / 6 / 8 x 18650) on sale

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    wow,very nice light!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the review! Nice light! Any idea what the current pull off the battery pack actually is?

-Garry

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrain View Post
    I found it here for $38.40 but the site seems fishy. Anyone heard of windyfire.com?

Solarstorm XT40 4XCREE XM-L U2 2800 Lumens bicycle light - Product - windyfire flashlights
    In this link, it shows 1.8A draw. Seems kind of low given those pictures. Goes to show these site specifications can never really be trusted.

mtbr member
    Right - I don't trust site specs. I want to know what it actually pulls.

-Garry

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast