mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Is solar flashlight superior to normal flashlight ?

My flashlight is broken and I want to buy a new one, some friends are using solar flashing without battery, maybe it is much lighter than the normal flashlight and maybe more convenient since it can be recharged by sunshine easily. Anyone who has the solar flashlight? Is solar flashlight really superior to normal flashlight ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice2012 View Post
    My flashlight is broken and I want to buy a new one, some friends are using solar flashing without battery, maybe it is much lighter than the normal flashlight and maybe more convenient since it can be recharged by sunshine easily. Anyone who has the solar flashlight? Is solar flashlight really superior to normal flashlight ?
    not really, for normal flashlight, we can get much superior if we like in a short term, while solar lights, sunshine is everything, and we can't control it totally. Anyway, solar is energy saving!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I came to post a joke about doing night riding while the sun is still up, but decided to actually contribute by mentioning that 10 5mm LEDs optimistically translates to 20 lumens of poorly focused light. That's not bright. If you plan on doing night riding, you should be looking into lights that have at least an order of magnitude more light, or are well-directed.

Even something like this: 80Lm Adjust Focus 1-Led Zoom Flashlight - Black - Free Shipping would be more useful, although to be honest the page you linked to is really scraping the bottom of the barrel, even as far as budget lights go. There are much better deals to be had for $13.

There's a thread in this forum titled "what DealExtreme torches do you like?". It will give you a good idea of the options out there.