Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have to post a correction. Magicshine-type batteries work just fine with the head. It's the S6 battery that won't fit the Magicshine charger. I don't care about that. I almost modified the light for no reason. Now I need to pick which battery to buy.

There's the Xeccon battery I mention earlier. It's from a reputable companies with quality cells. It's 6600 mah.

Then there's the 4x26650 battery pack that fightnut found. 10000 mah and $15 cheaper. But it's from a company that doesn't seem to have a reputation, and the cells could be the same recycled rubbish found in Ultrafire 26650's so it'd have diminished capacity and might have balancing issues.

Also, I tried taking apart the head, but didn't get far. I couldn't find a way to pull the reflector out. I removed the rear of the light, but what looks like a pill seems to be bonded in. That gives this light a limited life because I can't upgrade the LED's or driver. If the cord at the mount goes bad, the light becomes junk unless there's a way to take the light apart to replace the entire cord.

UPDATE: I played it safe and went with the Xeccon battery. I'll build my own 26650 battery pack at some point.
    Last edited by leaftye; 11-21-2012 at 06:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I hooked up the light on a power supply and did some measurements, if you are interested visit this link

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks! I'm going to copy some of it here. I hope you don't mind.

1 LED: 0.58A
    2 LED: 1.83A
    3 LED: 2.01A
    This confirms what we've noticed.

Based on the CREE calculator...

There's a huge difference between 1 & 2 LED's. Possibly up to 3 times more lumens.

Based on that current draw, the output with 3 LED's might be marginally more than with 2 LED's.

It also gives another indication that the battery pack has about half the capacity it's rated for.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks MK96 (and leaftye for explaining it).

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Of course I don't mind. I believe the light can be driven harder with some modification and sensibile UI without disco mode
    Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Thanks! I'm going to copy some of it here. I hope you don't mind.

This confirms what we've noticed.

Based on the CREE calculator...

There's a huge difference between 1 & 2 LED's. Possibly up to 3 times more lumens.

Based on that current draw, the output with 3 LED's might be marginally more than with 2 LED's.

It also gives another indication that the battery pack has about half the capacity it's rated for.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    Of course I don't mind. I believe the light can be driven harder with some modification and sensibile UI without disco mode
    If it can be taken apart. I didn't have any luck. Have you given that a shot?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    No not yet. But definitely I want. I saw it somewhere disassembled but unfortunately I cannot remember where. The other 3XML clone drains more current than this S6, but seems that it becomes much hotter than S6. My S6 stays the whole time pretty warm outdoors at 6 degrees C. Maybe because its bigger and contains more material Anyway I am waiting for the 18650 holders and PCB protection to build my own pack, since original pack is not worth to talk about - in my case. I have some older notebook batteries and voltage monitor already. Perhaps I will buy some 18650 3000mAh trustfires from DX or MF if the notebook cells would be dead enough.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    If it can be taken apart. I didn't have any luck. Have you given that a shot?

mtbr member
    Why not just go for RC LiPos? If you stick PCB on them they will be as safe as 18650, but most certainly cheaper than high quality/capacity 18650. Plus you'll get benefit of being able to charge them very quickly (@1-1.5C). If you need any advice about LiPo, I am willing to help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I just want a kind of battery pack that is universal (2S2P-2S7P), which 18650 cells in parallel give. 12 cells for 10$/pair is about 60$ with 7.4V and maximal capacity (2S6P) 15600 mAh. PCB is about 5$, 20x 18650 holders for 6$. Is there any alternative for this in RC LiPos?

Quote Originally Posted by bobale View Post
    Why not just go for RC LiPos? If you stick PCB on them they will be as safe as 18650, but most certainly cheaper than high quality/capacity 18650. Plus you'll get benefit of being able to charge them very quickly (@1-1.5C). If you need any advice about LiPo, I am willing to help.

mtbr member
    How about three of those? ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 2S1P 20C It will be much simpler, more compact, you'll only need to solder wires, and not worry about those battery holders (which I dislike). And if you have powerful enough charger, you'll be able to charge this pack in an hour, at 15A.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hmm that is really nice alternative. Does this come with protection or not?

How about three of those? ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 2S1P 20C It will be much simpler, more compact, you'll only need to solder wires, and not worry about those battery holders (which I dislike). And if you have powerful enough charger, you'll be able to charge this pack in an hour, at 15A.

mtbr member
    Of course not. But you'll add that $5 PCB, and off you go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I gave it a shot and ordered this 5000 mah lipo. Thanks for advice, will let you know how it works

mtbr member
    That's great. Just be careful with LiPo. Never discharge it below 3.0V per cell. And as pack has balance connector you'll be able to check whether cells are well matched by voltage.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I read about LiPo over internet and also saw some videos of LiPo venting & catching fire So I definitely use them with caution
    That's great. Just be careful with LiPo. Never discharge it below 3.0V per cell. And as pack has balance connector you'll be able to check whether cells are well matched by voltage.

SnapHappyChappy
    Dec 2012
    I've been following this thread with interest after finding it through a google search. I've recently bought a Skyray S6 via eBay.

Intial thoughts concur with what's been said, in that the build quality and heat dissipation seems to be good, the stock batteries are useless (mine only last 13-15mins from a full charge using 2 LEDs), and that having checked too, there's negligable difference between 2 LEDs and 3 on current used.

Following advice from a friend I've also ordered some 5000Mah Lipo's (although Infinergy not Zippy on his recommendation). On his assessments this should give me about 5hrs life on 3 LEDs. He recommends using 3 LEDS over just 2 even though the illumination gain is negilable, primarily because it'll spread the load across all 3 LEDs as opposed to 2, thus hopefully increasing the life of the LEDs.

Can't wait to give the light a try on my local forest trail as the illumination is certainly BRIGHT!!!!!!

I'll report back on my findings once I've received the batteries and built the pack up.

Guy

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Actually I use the oiginal protection from the ebay battery pack. I soldered the JST-XH male connector to the PCB. I use the balance connector to power the light, since the draw is about 2A. I am also going to add a low batt indicator. The temporary solution before I get the 5.5 mm bullet connector. And I also bought a 8000 mAh instead of 5000mAh, we will see how it performs The setup image:

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Actually I use the oiginal protection from the ebay battery pack. I soldered the JST-XH male connector to the PCB. I use the balance connector to power the light, since the draw is about 2A. I am also going to add a low batt indicator. The temporary solution before I get the 5.5 mm bullet connector. And I also bought a 8000 mAh instead of 5000mAh, we will see how it performs
    Nice, thanks for the pics. I'm about to undertake this too. Where did you get to 8000mah pack (hobbyking? Hobbypartz?) - it doesn't look too big or anything, good size.

Are you putting 5mm bullet connector on the PCB because of the 5mm bullets on the pack? I've been debating what connectors to use, I was thinking putting Dean's on batt and pcb... but that may not be very waterproof.
    Last edited by bad andy; 12-24-2012 at 08:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes, the battery is from hobbyking 17 x 7 x 1.7 centimeters and quite cheap. Yes, I will put 5mm bullet on the PCB with a fuse probably. Waterproof is for me a question of the case/backpack/... I want to modify trustfire X100 to a bike light which needs a 4S (probabaly also 8000mAh) battery. So I am going to have the Skyray and X100 batteries in one case each working independent with own PCB and low batt indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    Nice, thanks for the pics. I'm about to undertake this too. Where did you get to 8000mah pack (hobbyking? Hobbypartz?) - it doesn't look too big or anything, good size.

Are you putting 5mm bullet connector on the PCB because of the 5mm bullets on the pack? I've been debating what connectors to use, I was thinking putting Dean's on batt and pcb... but that may not be very waterproof.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    BTW I also measured the 2 flea-bay 2s2p packs. 1st 4 cells are 780, 949, 921, 975mAh, 2nd pack 4 cells are 1440, 1436, 1521 and 1359 mAh. From the 1st I got 1700mAh at 7.4V, from the 2nd 2800mAh at 7.4V. From the zippy flightmax 8000mAh battery (it came charged to 3.84V per cell ) I ran the light for 1 hour on high and MM read 3.82V per cell. Definitely a huge difference. The 1st flea-bay pack ran ~57 mins.
    Last edited by MK96; 12-27-2012 at 03:53 AM.

SnapHappyChappy
    Dec 2012
    Ok.

Received my LIPOs through on NYE.

My chum made my pack up for me and I set it going on a duration test last night.

4x5000mah's ran the S6 on all 3 LEDs for exactly 3hrs (the last 10 mins of that, the light had dropped down onto one LED so it looks like I'll get a bit of warning before all light vanishes).

It took a little over an hour to recharge the pack on my IMAX B6AC charger at 5A current

I'd post some info pics but the pesky post limit won't let me

mtbr member
    If you want them to last longer, charge LiPos to 4.1V per cell (select LiIon instead of LiPo on charger), and discharge not too deep. Also, if you're not going to use them for a longer period of time, store at 50% charger (3.8V per cell).

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Yes, the battery is from hobbyking 17 x 7 x 1.7 centimeters and quite cheap. Yes, I will put 5mm bullet on the PCB with a fuse probably. Waterproof is for me a question of the case/backpack/... I want to modify trustfire X100 to a bike light which needs a 4S (probabaly also 8000mAh) battery. So I am going to have the Skyray and X100 batteries in one case each working independent with own PCB and low batt indicator.
    I have my 8000 pack and am also going to use the PCB from the original eBay pack. It's the same PCB as you have pictured. I plan to use deans connector's (like my RC stuff) from the PCB to the pack. This way the pack is mostly untouched and i can use for rc stuff if needed, as the PCB would be easily removable.

My question is about the wiring on the PCB. The +/- leads are easy, but what was the original pack's white wire for? It is unconnected here, but It connected to the PCB at the top, under where marked "tr-0113b"

SKY RAY S6 3xCREE XM-L T6 LED 2500Lumens 4-mode Bike light/ -imageuploadedbytapatalk1358040925.271092.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The white wire is comon wire between cells. As you can see on the balance connector - it has 3 wires: minus, common, plus

Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    I have my 8000 pack and am also going to use the PCB from the original eBay pack. It's the same PCB as you have pictured. I plan to use deans connector's (like my RC stuff) from the PCB to the pack. This way the pack is mostly untouched and i can use for rc stuff if needed, as the PCB would be easily removable.

My question is about the wiring on the PCB. The +/- leads are easy, but what was the original pack's white wire for? It is unconnected here, but It connected to the PCB at the top, under where marked "tr-0113b"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358040925.271092.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	752737

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    actually this white wire is identical to my post 67, as you can see on the balance connector on the battery.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast