mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Single unit/helmet light recommendations

Hey guys, I've been using the magic shine 1200Lm knockoffs from Amazon for years.

I really like the idea of using just the one helmet light and only having no spare in my pack for emergencies. Never really needed a bar light. Always ran mine on medium setting even.

I was curious what you guys were running nowadays as far as the budget Amazon lights go. I imagine technology has improved.

What's out there? I'm really looking for something that shines a hair further and wider than the standard spot of the magicshine knockoffs. Maybe around $50?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Well shining further isn't really going to happen, those lights are basically flashlights with the battery pack seperate. Only way to get more throw is run it on high.

To do both you'll need a lamp that uses multiple beam patterns on multiple emitters. Plenty In this subforum just look around then try to find the match on amazon. I know securitying has one that had a wide optic on one emitter and a spot reflector on the other.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What would you recommend? I've been browsing and am frazzled by the jargon

There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Save up...
    Trail LED XXX or DS.
    It's has a 1:1 charge time.

=Tapatalked on the go=

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post

I recommend the Solarstorm XT40 (Solarstorm XT40 2800Lm 4 Modes CREE XM L2 4 LEDs LED Headlamp ( Neutral White )-30.29 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com). I have ridden with it alone and it's a great helmet light with great throw and a nice smooth beam. I would suggest adding a bar light for the best spread over the front tire. They Yinding or BT21 are both small options with a good flood beam.

mtbr member

You need to tell us what kind of riding you do. Are you riding road, dirt trails/single track, paved trails...etc. Hard to recommend a lamp when you know nothing about how is to be used.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NightOWL View Post
    Save up...
    Trail LED XXX or DS.
    It's has a 1:1 charge time.

=Tapatalked on the go=
    Sorry but thats not something special (1:1 charge time) just means the current draw is low enough and the charger they include charges at max current (or close to it) for the pack. Since most chargers actually put out half what a 18650 can handle for charging current these guys were smarter and use a charger that has the current output to charge the pack in the same/less time than the head can actually discharge it. I do it with my e station charger all the time if in a hurry and have a 6800mah pack that needs a charge. set it at 3.4A and let it go.

But that looks like a NICE LIGHT HEAD (reminds me way too much of a bt21 but in a triple emitter format, guessing thats where nitefighter got the idea) For the price they could at least include a remote switch though
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm really looking for something that shines a hair further and wider than the standard spot of the magicshine knockoffs. Maybe around $50?
    A single unit with integrated battery, that is going to light both further and wider than a magicshine knockoff? It is going to be heavy or have very short runtime.

But maybe I have misunderstood you, you also said something about running your current light on medium.

In any case, I would strongly caution against riding without a backup light system. Perhaps two P60 style single 18650 flashlight could work for you (one as primary, one as backup. They are cheap and lightweight due to only housing one battery cell. Look at for example Ultrafire 501/502 and be sure to get one with at least 1.4A drive.

Another option to consider is if your magicshine knockoff has a smooth reflector (mine does) see if you can replace the reflector to a faceted ("Orange Peel") reflector like the original one has. I love my original 808E except for the weight, the beampattern is so much nicer than the smooth reflector knockoff, with a bright enough hotspot and smooth transitions. The smooth-reflector knockoff is as bright or brighter in the hotspot (despite driving less current), but the hotspot is smaller and the transition is abrupt making it unusable on the trail.