mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Simple DIY bar mount for Streamlight Torch

Hey everyone, long-time lurker, first time posting. Thought I would share a practical and relatively inexpensive method to light up a trail.

I just used materials I already had laying around to make something work as inexpensively as possible. The results are far better than I expected. The Streamlight Stinger 800 lumen torch with rechargeable batteries throws a really usable beam, and has 3 settings plus strobe.

I combined the bar torch with another 300 lumen torch strapped onto my helmet with foam pads and velcro straps for a custom, snug fit.

The bar mount is just an old cheap handlebar stem I had laying around, and with the rubber grip removed from the torch, it will fit a little loose in the 1-1/8" steering tube hole. One or two wraps with electric tape solves that issue, then snug the two bolts up and you are all set. That light will NOT fall off or out of adjustment once on the trail.

FYI - I paid $103 for the light at a local battery store in Hartland, WI. Their prices can't be beat, and they also rebuild battery packs in case you need a power tool battery or other custom set-up.

Let me know what you think and if this setup can be improved! Ride on!Simple DIY bar mount for Streamlight Torch-streamlight-bar-mount-jgi-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    That's resourceful, I like it.

Suggestions...maybe reorient it top side so it's not a knee killer and easier to access?
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Thanks man. With this setup, there is lots of room for adjustability. Torch can go forward or back, above or below the bars, and of course different steering stems have variable lengths and angles. This is my prototype, and I may very well end up with something a little more refined.

mtbr member
    Glad this setup works for you. The torch does look somewhat big so you probably do need something strong enough to hold it in place. That said there are many torches that use 18650 cells that are easy to mount to the bars and can provide 800 or more lumen ( not to mention they are much smaller in form factor...a big plus ). You can buy cheap handlebar torch mounts on ebay and other places that will hold a typical single cell 18650 type torch without issue usually for ~ $10-$15. Not to mention that there are cheaper places to buy a torch. A typical Convoy S2 or S3 cost maybe $15-$20 and works great either on the bars or helmet. Of course if you are using two torches and just starting out you also have to buy batteries and a charger as well so everything added up; 4 x 18650's, one four bay charger, two torches, couple mounts....~ $80-$100 depending on what and where you buy.

Now with everything I just said above you could easily buy two cheap Chinese made dedicated bike lights for about the same cost and and be set. Adding to that two bike lights tend to provide better beam patterns and usually will have better run times. Nothing wrong with using torches. I'm just pointing out the other options that are available for the same cost or less.

mtbr member
    I like the Twofish mounts for about $10. https://www.amazon.com/TwoFish-9-Loc.../dp/B001CJXB5E

I own a Streamlight Stinger HPL that I won at work. It's a decent light, but personally I don't like length for mounting on the bars. In my opinion a single 18650 or 21700 light is a better option.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Cat-man-do, thanks for your input. I like ths setup for a few reasons. I believe you get what you pay for, and the stinger torch is a good one. Yes its large, but thats because it has a large battery for longer run time, and a larger lens that throws light further. A small body in flashlight means a smaller beam and run time.
    And this mount is rock solid. The torch does not bounce at all, and the mouunt is never going to break. I put this together for $0 with stuff I already had...not bad for free! This pic shows the beam on the middle (350 lumen) setting. Throws a very usable beam out to 50 yards or better. Much better than my old halogen nite-rider in every way.Simple DIY bar mount for Streamlight Torch-streamlight-stinger-ds-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I like the Twofish mounts for about $10. https://www.amazon.com/TwoFish-9-Loc.../dp/B001CJXB5E

I own a Streamlight Stinger HPL that I won at work. It's a decent light, but personally I don't like length for mounting on the bars. In my opinion a single 18650 or 21700 light is a better option.
    Can you post a pic showing the beam of the smaller torch at night?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake415 View Post
    Which light are you referring to?

The stinger HPL I have is more of a thrower with its larger head, and I wouldn't recommend it for biking. Your version of it probably has a much better beam pattern.

I have various single cell lights. Some are pure throwers, some are very floody, and some are in between. Like most things there's no perfect light for every application.

Sorry if I came across negatively, but I think streamlight makes quality lights. For biking though, I think something more compact would be better, and with some of newer batteries you wouldn't lose any runtime.

Here's the only picture of a beamshot I have on my phone. This is the Acebeam ec65. It can do a short turbo on 4000 lumens or sustain 900 lumens for over 2 hours. I think it's less than half the size of a stinger.

Simple DIY bar mount for Streamlight Torch-1220140d1539191594-ultimate-helmet-light-4-300-lumes-high-cri-4000k-programmable-img_20181009_19.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Which light are you referring to?

The stinger HPL I have is more of a thrower with its larger head, and I wouldn't recommend it for biking. Your version of it probably has a much better beam pattern.

I have various single cell lights. Some are pure throwers, some are very floody, and some are in between. Like most things there's no perfect light for every application.

Sorry if I came across negatively, but I think streamlight makes quality lights. For biking though, I think something more compact would be better, and with some of newer batteries you wouldn't lose any runtime.

Here's the only picture of a beamshot I have on my phone. This is the Acebeam ec65. It can do a short turbo on 4000 lumens or sustain 900 lumens for over 2 hours. I think it's less than half the size of a stinger.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1220140d1539191594-ultimate-helmet-light-4-300-lumes-high-cri-4000k-programmable-img_20181009_19.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	1220321
    That thing does throw some light! There really are some good torches out there for very little money now.
    I am a home inspector and have had too many torches to count over the years, and I pretty much settled on Streamlight and Surefire. Maybe I'm overspending, but these brands have never let me down yet. IMHO the quality of the beam and brightness per lumen is just better than chinese stuff. Theres more to a light beam than lumen count, for sure.
    But I think we can both agree that this is subjective and personal preference and requirements are the drivers, and its much cheaper to experiment with torches than dedicated bike light systems.
    Thanks for the pic, as these threads are useless without pics.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake415 View Post
    I know your question wasn't aimed at me but I can probably provide some beam shots. I just have to wait out the effects of the latest hurricane first as it wizes by.

Jake, your Streamlight Stinger looks like it is a pure thrower. Judging from the photo not a lot of spill but of course it could be that the photo doesn't show the spill as well as it actually is. While I usually only use my torches for back-ups the one ( S2 ) I use on the bars provides a very nice all-around beam pattern. Since the reflector is smaller and shallower it gives a nice even mix of spill and throw. On the helmet I prefer my Convoy M1 which has much more throw ( similar to your SStinger ) although the M1 is still very much smaller than yours since it's only using a single 18650.

When I get a chance to do the beam shots I'll give a little more information about what I'm using.

mtbr member
    I was able to take a picture of the streamlight battery from my Stinger next to a 21700.

Streamlight = 7.92 watt hours
    21700 = 18.9 watt hours

Just showing that despite the smaller size, the 21700 has about 2.4x the energy. Batteries like this are why you don't have to run a long light on your bars

Simple DIY bar mount for Streamlight Torch-img_20181011_172144706.jpg

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Batteries like that have literally just appeared in the last couple years. It's amazing how rapidly lithium battery tech is progressing.

I cant wait till flashlights other than streamlight (lacking in bang for buck IMO) start becoming widely available that use those cells.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member

Just showing that despite the smaller size, the 21700 has about 2.4x the energy. Batteries like this are why you don't have to run a long light on your bars

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181011_172144706.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	1220402
    Shock and Awe! First, I'm surprised that someone is actual able to buy a 21700 cell. This is the first time I've seen them actually being sold. A quick check of the web now shows that there are places selling these.

That said I was about to call BS on the claimed capacity of the Acebeam 5100mAh 21700 cell. Then I saw that someone on CPF did a discharge test on one and came up with ~ 4850mAh!....that is freaking awesome! Can't help but wonder who actually makes this cell. Acebeam is a torch manufacture. It has their wrapper on the cell but that only means the protection circuit is theirs. Tesla perhaps? *shrug*...Samsung sells the 40T ( 21700 ) which is listing as 4000mAh which also is really good.

Downside is I can't think of any torch manufacturers other than Acebeam that makes a torch using 21700 cells. Can wait to see if anyone will make battery tubes that will retrofit older torches originally designed for 18650. If so those would sell real fast. Not to mention, I can't wait to see cell holders for 21700's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Shock and Awe! First, I'm surprised that someone is actual able to buy a 21700 cell. This is the first time I've seen them actually being sold. A quick check of the web now shows that there are places selling these.

That said I was about to call BS on the claimed capacity of the Acebeam 5100mAh 21700 cell. Then I saw that someone on CPF did a discharge test on one and came up with ~ 4850mAh!....that is freaking awesome! Can't help but wonder who actually makes this cell. Acebeam is a torch manufacture. It has their wrapper on the cell but that only means the protection circuit is theirs. Tesla perhaps? *shrug*...Samsung sells the 40T ( 21700 ) which is listing as 4000mAh which also is really good.

Downside is I can't think of any torch manufacturers other than Acebeam that makes a torch using 21700 cells. Can wait to see if anyone will make battery tubes that will retrofit older torches originally designed for 18650. If so those would sell real fast. Not to mention, I can't wait to see cell holders for 21700's
    There are a few lights out now, but not many. This is my first Acebeam, but initial impressions are that the build quality is great. It will be replacing my Zebralight as my backup light on the bars.

21700 is slightly bigger than 18650, so with an adapter you can use an 18650 in a 21700 light, but odds are a 21700 won't work with an 18650 light.

mtbr member
    Looks like the Acebeam battery might be an actual LG M50 INR 21700, ( listed @ 5000mAh )

Interestingly I'm thinking the 21700 LG's might actual work in my Wiz-1 ( using an adapter ). Not sure it would be worth bothering with though as I already have 26650 cells rated for 5000mAh. Nope, if I were to use the Wiz-1 on the helmet I'd be trying to keep the weight as low as possible. That said I'd probably be better off just using one of my LG MJ1's...3500mAh 18650's with an adapter and be good to go.

When it comes to something being mounted to a helmet, the weight issue will always trump the run time issue ( IMHO ). I can deal with switching out batteries. What I can't deal with is something that feels too heavy on my head or is heavy enough to cause my helmet to move too much. Wiz-1 with a 26650 cell on the helmet is just too heavy for me. Luckily I have other 18650 torches that are much lighter...as are the batteries as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    A 21700 battery thread might be a good idea as it is definitly a topic worth discussion. But this thread got a little off track in that was a discussion on mounting a Streamlight Stinger torch...
    I actually don't mind the small weight and size penalties of a Stinger torch on a slow moving fat bike in the winter months. It throws a very usable beam, has adequate run time, and uses rechargable batteries. It also is very useful for many other purposes, and I don't intend to buy any other torches anytime soon.
    I'm going to run what I brung! 😊