mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Sigma Stereo tail light

I received my new Sigma Stereo tail light today. It is going to support/help my 4 year old Cateye LD 610 in making me visible in trafic.
    SIGMA SPORT - Lighting systems - Stereo

Itīs not a blindingly powerful rear light. Instead it is soft and gentle, and yet still clearly visible. Most other rear lights are using some kind of optics to focus the light, which is often making them blinding, but not this one. Philips is selling a similar light, but I think, it is ment for a rack.
    Pictures: Sigma lygte - Imgur

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity123 View Post
    I received my new Sigma Stereo tail light today. It is going to support/help my 4 year old Cateye LD 610 in making me visible in trafic.
    SIGMA SPORT - Lighting systems - Stereo

Itīs not a blindingly powerful rear light. Instead it is soft and gentle, and yet still clearly visible. Most other rear lights are using some kind of optics to focus the light, which is often making them blinding, but not this one. Philips is selling a similar light, but I think, it is ment for a rack.
    Pictures: Sigma lygte - Imgur
    so the point of your thread is to brag that your new tail light is not as bright as tail lights most people use ? or that it is 3 times the size of the tail lights most people use ? or the fact that you use two tail lights that combined still aren't as bright as an average decent tail light ?

i'm just missing the point here ...

there are many cheap and small 2 watt tail lights like this:

Amazon.com: Cygolite Hotshot 2-Watt USB Rechargeable Taillight with USB Cable: Sports & Outdoors

why would you buy a gigantic 0.5 watt tail light ?

with so many good tail lights on the market that are well known you managed to dig up a light that nobody knows and is worse than everything else and buy it and then you decided to go online and brag about it.

very interesting ...

can you return it ?

next time come to the forum FIRST and ASK what to get instead of getting junk and then coming here to let everybody know how you screwed up.

6ix
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    next time come to the forum FIRST and ASK what to get instead of getting junk and then coming here to let everybody know how you screwed up.
    I've never seen someone so self centered and rude in my life. We put up with you talking to yourself but posting here to scold Infinity is uncultured and hypocritical. You yourself screwed up choosing the Piko last time because you never listen to advice but so ever willing to give yours. You didn't thank the people you bought it from and instead smear Lupine's good reputation with your ignorance and stupidity.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    so the point of your thread is to brag that your new tail light is not as bright as tail lights most people use ? or that it is 3 times the size of the tail lights most people use ? or the fact that you use two tail lights that combined still aren't as bright as an average decent tail light ? i'm just missing the point here ...

Yes, you're missing the point. Not everyone is biking in an environment where light has to be the brightest possible. Large light area with some separation between the end-points make it easier to judge the distance to this light in an environment where other distance cues may not be visible. Single very bright point of light is absolutely horrible for that. Also this light looks slightly different than most lights out there, so it's better at catching attention.

Next time wait for the reply to your "am I missing the point" question before being unnecessarily rude. Or you could just skip that being rude part altogether.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Projektio View Post
    Large light area with some separation between the end-points make it easier to judge the distance to this light in an environment where other distance cues may not be visible. Single very bright point of light is absolutely horrible for that. Also this light looks slightly different than most lights out there, so it's better at catching attention.
    i hope you don't actually believe what you just wrote ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    i hope you don't actually believe what you just wrote ...
    Yes, it should've propably said it's easier to determine the movement vector, as without any context the size of the object does not actually tell anything. Now I hope you don't actually think it's easier to tell that from a single bright point light source.

Bar end lights would actually be just about the best possible solution. They'd have the additional advantage of looking a bit more like car lights, which many drivers seem to be conditioned to search for.

mtbr member
    Yes, it should've propably said it's easier to determine the movement vector, as without any context the size of the object does not actually tell anything. Now I hope you don't actually think it's easier to tell that from a single bright point light source.

Bar end lights would actually be just about the best possible solution. They'd have the additional advantage of looking a bit more like car lights, which many drivers seem to be conditioned to search for.
    this is my setup, as it was a few weeks ago, i have made slight changes since then

unfortunately bar end lights don't provide much output ...

as you can probably tell i am not a big fan of a single point of light ... but i believe the lights must paint an outline of the object ( bike / cyclist ) and not merely be separated by two inches ...

i see no benefit to having two lights directly next to each other ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    True, I can't see how they can possibly benefit you. Unfortunately not everyone wants to to look like a biking circus show.

Wow, this thread went down fast.

Have you ever thought that while you have your own fine opinion about how bike lighting should be done, anyone who's actually intrested has already read it from the dozens of threads you've started. There's no point in spamming every thread started by someone else on this forum with your "advice".

mtbr member
    True, I can't see how they can possibly benefit you. Unfortunately not everyone wants to to look like a biking circus show.

Wow, this thread went down fast.

Have you ever thought that while you have your own fine opinion about how bike lighting should be done, anyone who's actually intrested has already read it from the dozens of threads you've started. There's no point in spamming every thread started by someone else on this forum with your "advice".
    ok Genius, off to ignore list you go ...

PS: damn i love the ignore list feature ! saves a lot of time !

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sounds like the OP has found a light that he likes and feels will work for him. Why such a rude response Andro?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Sounds like the OP has found a light that he likes and feels will work for him. Why such a rude response Andro?
    with every post any of us makes we shift ever so slightly the direction of the forum overall as well as the direction of the bike light industry and even the sport of night riding.

we can choose to be complacent by accepting mediocre products and have a stagnant market where 5 years from now your options will be the same as today. or we can choose to not accept sloppy design / engineering / and weak performance and see the products get better every year.

i have a tail light that's a lot worse than the OP's - Cateye LD1100 - i don't use it of course - but the reason i have it in the first place is because as a noob i read all the glowing reviews on Amazon ( it was one of the highest rated lights there ) and thought it was good. i wish somebody pointed out in the reviews that it was in fact trash but nobody did.

on the other hand when it was time for me to upgrade it i was looking at Light & Motion Vis 180 reviews on Amazon and one reviewer said that he had the Vis 180 that i was looking at, the LD1100 that i had, and that both were trash and that the only good tail light was Dinotte. so i got the Dinotte. thank god i saw that review or i would be out of $100 on another junk light.

we need to call out junk for what it is so that people will stop buying it and the industry can move forward. Dinotte may not be for everybody, but everybody can afford a Cygolite Hotshot 2-Watt:

Amazon.com: Cygolite Hotshot 2-Watt USB Rechargeable Taillight with USB Cable: Sports & Outdoors

yet 99 out of 100 people ride with tail lights that are many times dimmer - why ? because when they buy a piece of trash tail light nobody is there to stop them. the store is happy to sell the customer ANYTHING and the customer doesn't have a clue if what they're getting is any good or not.

we're the last hope of these poor souls

maybe someday a rude post that trashes a dim tail light will save a cyclist's life.

if he asked first if this was a good light to get i would politely offer my opinion that it is not. but he never asked. he arrogantly assumed that he knows better than any of us and then came to inform everybody how awesome he is. so i poked fun at him a little bit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    This is just insane. There's the guy who has a thread about the importance of beam patterns on front lights recommending a rear light with horrible light spread. But hey, it's bright, and that's all that matters. Seriously though, most people do not ride with rim lights or other light sources than can be seen from the sides except the rear light. The one androgen recommends fails at that.

Also that plastic piece of crap would probably last just as long as my previous cheap rear lights. After one OTB they stay together with duct tape until the end of the ride, then go to trash.