Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Serfas TSL-500 True 500 Lumen Headlight

I saw this at my LBS and witnessed its power! I'm impressed however I cannot find and reviews with pictures of the beam spread. I'm thinking of purchasing two of these units for my night rides in the back streets and trails. I like the fact theat it's all in one. The battery is in the unit and the price is where I like it ($150.00).

Does anyone out there have this unit?
    If so can you post some night photos up as I can see what type of beam this unit puts out. Thank you guys in advance. Link at the bottom if your curious.

Serfas TSL-500

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I just purchased this light because I was also impressed by it when I found it in my LBS. cant' wait to use it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    im trying to decide between this and nightrider 600 the replacable battery has me thinking serfas at the moment

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I just got one of these last Friday. I've been on 2 rides with it so far.
    I bought it to put on the bars to supplement my DX torch on my helmet.

2 of these would be plenty to ride with. The DX torch on my helmet has less power than the 500 has and I do just fine.

The modes are easy to scroll through and it turns on in full bright mode.

It charges pretty quickly with the USB/120v charger.

The battery looks like a typical 18650 with a cover on it.

I got mine from The Big River for $120 shipped.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

the big river

Quote Originally Posted by Bicycleez View Post
    I just got one of these last Friday. I've been on 2 rides with it so far.
    I bought it to put on the bars to supplement my DX torch on my helmet.

2 of these would be plenty to ride with. The DX torch on my helmet has less power than the 500 has and I do just fine.

The modes are easy to scroll through and it turns on in full bright mode.

It charges pretty quickly with the USB/120v charger.

The battery looks like a typical 18650 with a cover on it.

I got mine from The Big River for $120 shipped.
    your got at TSL_500 from The Big River for $120 shippped, can you give me a website address, I cant find it, also have you verified that the battery you guess it uses "
    The battery looks like a typical 18650 with a cover on it."
    works? they are way cheaper than the $30 batteries from Serfas

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jbardwel View Post
    your got at TSL_500 from The Big River for $120 shippped, can you give me a website address, I cant find it, also have you verified that the battery you guess it uses "
    The battery looks like a typical 18650 with a cover on it."
    works? they are way cheaper than the $30 batteries from Serfas
    I think he means Amazon. They are now $130.

Amazon.com: Serfas True 500 Usb Headlight (Black, One): Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
    ^Yep.

The battery looks like an 18650, but there is a special case it is in. You can't just put an 18650 in the light.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

serfas

Thanks for the replies, I ordered one from Amazon and they are now $130, and I now can see from the battery case online that one cant just plop in the bare battery. Can't wait to check it out, hope it is reliable, I have gone through about 15 princeton tec EOS bikes, though my Jetlite is still going strong after about 7 years!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Saw one of these just the other day. Cute lite and bright.

I agree it's nice that you can change the battery quickly and carry spares but it would have been even better if you could put in any old 18650 and not the proprietary Serfas battery pack with MSRP of $30.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The new Lezyne Super Drive takes a standard 18650 battery, and uses an XML emitter. It might be a good choice if you are looking for something with an easily and cheaply replaceable battery.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

reviews?

The new Lezyne Super Drive takes a standard 18650 battery, and uses an XML emitter. It might be a good choice if you are looking for something with an easily and cheaply replaceable battery.
    Any reviews out there? have you got one? it is the superdrive right, not the power drive that goes with a 18650? It doesnt come with a helmet mount, but other than that looks good!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    SWEET...are you sure? It does look like you might be correct. I have a bunch of these batteries so I would like to try this light.

LED Lights

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jbardwel View Post
    Any reviews out there? have you got one? it is the superdrive right, not the power drive that goes with a 18650? It doesnt come with a helmet mount, but other than that looks good!
    These are JUST coming out as far as I know and probably no one has them yet....except Francois . Pretty sure he's got the new Lezyne's for testing in the shootout.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    SWEET...are you sure? It does look like you might be correct. I have a bunch of these batteries so I would like to try this light.

LED Lights

100% positive. I called Lezyne and talked to Mike, their engineer. He was very informative. I got the impression that a lot of thought went into these lights.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Ok, I talked to Mike at Lyzene also and he assured me the Super Drive does take standard 18650 batteries. He said just make sure they are a high quality protected cell (plenty of crappy 18650's out there). I have a bunch of AW 2900mAh batteries so no issues. He said the AW's may also give a longer run time than what they rate the lite with using the standard 2400 mAh that comes with the light.

Also interesting is the Lyzezne Super Drive 50 lux rating is the same as the higher Night Rider rated (hmmmm) MiNewt 600 on the MTBR lux test (the Serfas TSL500 is less @ 43 lux). So at least same or better power, quick change non proprietary battery and $40 cheaper than either of the other 2. No brainer for me and I think Lyzene has a winner here for a small self contained light...

My new Super Drive has already shipped from Lyzene
    Last edited by skidad; 10-28-2011 at 08:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Emailed Lezyne asking if they are going to do a helmet mount for these lights. That would be the only thing holding me back from purchasing a set of lights (probably a 400 & a 300, or 2 400's or 2 300s. Or maybe even add a third light for commuting with the super small 150). I could probably get away with using an o-ring too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nixternal View Post
    Emailed Lezyne asking if they are going to do a helmet mount for these lights. That would be the only thing holding me back from purchasing a set of lights (probably a 400 & a 300, or 2 400's or 2 300s. Or maybe even add a third light for commuting with the super small 150). I could probably get away with using an o-ring too.
    I asked and they said that they had one in the works, but couldn't offer anything concrete regarding when they would be available.

mtbr member
    cambriabike has the Lezyne Super Drive for $99 and with the code SCARY20 they are 20% off through October 31st

That's $79, just ordered one!

20% off code applies to everything at the store
    Last edited by walrus; 10-31-2011 at 08:04 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    cambriabike has them for $99 and with the code SCARY20 they are 20% off through October 31st

That's $79, just ordered one!
    Great price...thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll pick up a second one for that price

I was impulsive and paid the full $109 + shipping from Lyzene

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nixternal View Post
    The supplied mounts are removable, so no reason you couldn't attached this light to your helmet using a Twofish Lockblock is there? With the discount listed above from Cambria, this looks like a good deal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thank you Betweenrides and Walrus for pointing out the discount code to Cambria and noting that Cambria had the SuperDrive! I've been looking at buying a new light for the past 6 or so months now and this just sealed the deal for me I truly appreciate it folks!

--------------
    EDIT
    --------------
    Update 11/09/11: Ordered 10/31, cancelled on 11/7
    Last edited by Blurider24; 11-09-2011 at 07:45 PM.

mtbr member
    I got an email from cambriabike saying the Lezyne Super Drive is backordered, It was listed as in stock when I ordered it. Then I posted the deal here and I guess they sold a lot of them. Luckily I'm in no hurry and can wait for this good deal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Does anyone know of a US webshop, aside from Lezyne itself, that has the Power Drive in stock?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Got my new Super Drive from Lyzene...Nice little lite and lightweight.

Approx. 18mm diameter smooth refelctor with a pretty deep set LED which throws a very smooth but fairly tight beam. Probably awesome for a commuter bike. Power I would say is excellent (I have 2 superb 500+ lumen single 18650 torches to compare it to) with a nice color white beam. I only used it so far on my road commute to the trails last night where it was great IMO. (Sorry, once I hit the trails bigger lumen lights took over). I will test it on trails another time. The clamp held just fine for the 2 hour ride and the lamphead itself is securley held to the mount but easy to remove. USB plug cover works well and the overall finish is pretty nice (I got light gray color). It would have been really sweet if the power button glowed when the light was turned on.

The supplied 18650 battery is larger than my other 18650 batteries and just barely fit the charger I have. Of course you don't need a seperate charger as you can charge the battery in the light itself with the supplied USB cable. 18650 batteries can vary in size a bit and the guy at Lyzene said they designed the light to handle about any size. Some torches will not accept all 18650 batteries as an FYI. On the bottom of the light is a nice little graphic indicating which way to insert the battery. I will try to do a full power battery run test very soon on the Lyzene supplied 2400mAh battery and my own AW 2900mAh and 3100mAh Callies Kustoms batteries and check back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Got my new Super Drive from Lyzene...Nice little lite and lightweight.

Approx. 18mm diameter smooth refelctor with a pretty deep set LED which throws a very smooth but fairly tight beam. Probably awesome for a commuter bike. Power I would say is excellent (I have 2 superb 500+ lumen single 18650 torches to compare it to) with a nice color white beam. I only used it so far on my road commute to the trails last night where it was great IMO. (Sorry, once I hit the trails bigger lumen lights took over). I will test it on trails another time. The clamp held just fine for the 2 hour ride and the lamphead itself is securley held to the mount but easy to remove. USB plug cover works well and the overall finish is pretty nice (I got light gray color). It would have been really sweet if the power button glowed when the light was turned on.

The supplied 18650 battery is larger than my other 18650 batteries and just barely fit the charger I have. Of course you don't need a seperate charger as you can charge the battery in the light itself with the supplied USB cable. 18650 batteries can vary in size a bit and the guy at Lyzene said they designed the light to handle about any size. Some torches will not accept all 18650 batteries as an FYI. On the bottom of the light is a nice little graphic indicating which way to insert the battery. I will try to do a full power battery run test very soon on the Lyzene supplied 2400mAh battery and my own AW 2900mAh and 3100mAh Callies Kustoms batteries and check back.
    Excellent, thanks! Does it accept flat top cells like the AW?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast