mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Serfas tsl-1000 or Magicshine 872

Hello all,
    I'm searching for a new headlight intended for all-mountain riding (dark singletrack, etc).
    Originally I was planning on buying the MagicShine mj-872, after seeing one in action and being impressed.
    But now I saw that there are great deals on the Serfas tsl-1000 true lights, making them not much more expensive than the magicshine.

Does anyone have experience with any of the lights and can comment as to which is more recommended?
    Is the Serfas really of higher quality? Which would be brighter / better throw?
    I read the thread about the Magicshine batteries, but could not find a link on amazon for the better ones (the samsung ones)... are they available for sale with the new battery?

Any of these lights will be paired with a helmet mounted light (chinese $50 YINDING YD-2XU2 - Gemini Duo clone).
    Thank You!

mtbr member
    First off, I do not have experience with either of these lights. I do however have experience with similar lights from each Company. My first light was a Magicshine 808, and I don't have anything bad to say about it, other than the fat that the beam pattern doesn't spread out close to the bike, so it makes seeing on twisty singletrack a little bit difficult. But I didn't have a helmet mounted light in use with that one, which was bar mounted.

My second light, bought as an addition to the magicshine, is a Serfas tsl-1500+ light (for 175 from Pricepoint after they pricematched Amazon). I can tell you that the Serfas Light is a way better light in terms of brightness and beam pattern. However, if you use 2 lights, either will work for you. The Serfas mounted on my helmet is enough light that I don't even need the bar mounted magicshine, but I prefer to have both in case the battery runs low on one. I am currently riding with the magicshine on low, and the Serfas on the second lowest setting, and it is plenty of light in most cases. When I need more, I just turn them up.

I have been debating on getting the Samsung battery pack, which is available on action led website, although it is very pricey.

Edit: I just looked at some beam pattern examples, and the mj-872 has a much better beam pattern than my mj-808 has. The 808 has a very distinct edge to the light pattern, where the 872 seems to fan out much better around the edges.
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thank you for the detailed response.
    I tried to ask pricepoint for a match on the tsl-1500+, but they replied that they do not pricematch from Amazon... too bad, I like pricepoint and would preffer to buy from them. Did they pricematch for you from Amazon easily?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The 872 was reviewed for the 2013 light shoot out. It was found to have heat problems. It would heat up and then dim by several hundred lumens.

There is a clone of the 872 that I use and am happy with. It was around $32. I'm not sure if it has the heat problems. Check for the forum for a thread called Chinese flood light, there is more info there.

There is another light called the 856 that better heat sinking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by asafchar View Post
    Thank you for the detailed response.
    I tried to ask pricepoint for a match on the tsl-1500+, but they replied that they do not pricematch from Amazon... too bad, I like pricepoint and would preffer to buy from them. Did they pricematch for you from Amazon easily?
    I didn't have any issue getting them to pricematch for me. I actually emailed them and asked first, and they told me that they would, so I then placed my order with the pricematch information in the comments section of my order. They did say that they wouldn't pricematch on the shipping, just on the product.
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    Out of these two brands, I have only owned a Serfas… True 250.
    Just an FYI… my experience with Serfas in customer service… was excellent!
    Broke my original True250 on a ride, cracking the mounting area on the body of the light.
    I contacted them about purchasing just the body and they said "send it to us".
    I got it back in short order, new body, same head (I could tell by our local clay/dirt still wedged in the fins! lol)… no charge!

Not sure if that's of any value to you, but it's a definite selling point to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Serfas lights on the whole are of higher quality. For $30 more, I'd go with the Serfas. It will be brighter and have better throw, for sure. The MJ-872 is a pure flood light that works well with a spot on the helmet. I use an 872 clone on the bars, and I'm pretty happy with it. I paid $36 total with a battery. For the money of a real MJ-872, I'd be tempted to go with the Fluxient version, which was also reviewed in the 2013 shootout, but the latest version has the newer XP-G2s: 4XR4.

Don't know how long this will last, but how about this deal? http://www.amazon.com/Serfas-TSL-150...d_sim_sbs_sg_2 There must be a catch...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm glad you folks think high of the Serfas. I just bought a Serfas 1500 from backcountry.com for $155. Hopefully it is decent when it gets here in a few days.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have the Serfas 1000 and love it I can't find the 1500 anymore I was told they stop making it.....?I also have a Designshine DS 1300 that I use every now and again but i'll be selling it since if anybody is interested.