mtbr member

Serfas True 1500? Or Baja Double Stryker?

I have been eyeing Serfas's True 1500 lamp for quite a while and the Lights Shootout has given me an even better impression. However, I have some questions for those who have this light: how waterproof is it? Is it a sturdy and durable light? Is the beam pattern good for a flood light? I am mainly comparing this light to the Baja Double Stryk. Now about the Stryk: I have heard numerous complaints about it's cooling ability. In addition, although the Stryker is said to be an 1800 lumen light, it has a "true" lumen rating of ~1300 lumens (from the MTBR shootout). But it is built like a tank (so I have heard), is completely waterproof, has a center mount for the bars, and has a good beam pattern. I don't know which light to choose
    Will someday be living in Alaska with 2 pooches

mtbr member
    I bought the Serfas 1500 around a month ago. I don't have a lot of experience with the newer style lights but this thing is awesome. Overdrive mode is insane. I never use/need that. High is plenty for me in the woods and Med. is enough for commuting. It's too heavy (400+ grams) to wear on your helmet. I tried the light and battery mounted to my helmet and strained my neck after 2-3 hours of riding. It might work if you wear the battery in a pack or jersey pocket. How waterproof is it? Not sure. I've used it for commuting in the rain 40ish minutes with no problems so far. It's sturdy on the bar mount. Mine doesn't move/shake when I hit a bump. I haven't crashed or dropped it. It's definitely NOT fragile. I think it has a nice flood wash. I got mine online for $199. I think it's an incredible light for that price.

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot for reading and replying to my long and boring post

mtbr member
    No problem. Good luck with your search.

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffinhead View Post
    I have been eyeing Serfas's True 1500 lamp for quite a while and the Lights Shootout has given me an even better impression. However, I have some questions for those who have this light: how waterproof is it? Is it a sturdy and durable light? Is the beam pattern good for a flood light? I am mainly comparing this light to the Baja Double Stryk. Now about the Stryk: I have heard numerous complaints about it's cooling ability. In addition, although the Stryker is said to be an 1800 lumen light, it has a "true" lumen rating of ~1300 lumens (from the MTBR shootout). But it is built like a tank (so I have heard), is completely waterproof, has a center mount for the bars, and has a good beam pattern. I don't know which light to choose
    IMHO, the Double Strykr would be you better choice of those two. I have been using it for about a year out here in AZ and have had zero problems. Plus, it is backed by a lifetime warranty.

Several riding buddies bought the Sefas 1500 last year. The mount was not very solid and the light bounced around a lot and battery life was too short. The light was bright, but the beam pattern made it difficult to see the trail well. A few of them bought the Strykr II and are very happy.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoplea View Post
    IMHO, the Double Strykr would be you better choice of those two. I have been using it for about a year out here in AZ and have had zero problems. Plus, it is backed by a lifetime warranty.

Several riding buddies bought the Sefas 1500 last year. The mount was not very solid and the light bounced around a lot and battery life was too short. The light was bright, but the beam pattern made it difficult to see the trail well. A few of them bought the Strykr II and are very happy.
    Thanks for your opinion, I'll consider it

Always a good day to ride
    +1 on the Baja lights. We have been riding the older 700 lumen lights for the last few years and love them.

Old-newbie
    I recently purchased the Serfas True 1500. I could not stand it. I could have gotten over the yellow-green tint, maybe, but the strobe effect on any setting but high was intolerable. The battery pack was also huge for such a low capacity rating. I normally wear a 4-cell pack on my belt, but that one was too bulky. I really liked the design of the lighthead, and the price (<200 bucks) was great, but the negatives outweighed the positives for me. I returned it to point of purchase.

gerG
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

mtbr member
    My BD Double Stryk has been a great light so far. I use it on the bar and like the center mount option. It seems bullet proof and I haven't had any cooling problems riding in western Colorado. The light is a bit more yellow in tint than I would prefere as compared to my older NR and Ay Up products. I need a new helmet light now since the Double Stryk overdrives the 400 lumen AyUP's I've been using.

mtbr member
    I know you said "Yellower" than some other light, but that doesn't mean that the beam is noticeably yellow, right? Other than that small thing I think I am sold on the Double Stryk