mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Self sufficient lighting & charging

I need to be 100% self sufficient for a 3500km mtb journey through South Africa. This will incl charging a garmin, cell phone & making sure my light works.
    Clearly I need a dynamo.
    Any help, ideas & thoughts will be appreciated

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Just curious,,, how are you going to keep your Garmin and cell phone charged?? I know you said 100% self sufficient but are there any stops through out your epic venture where charging is an option? I wonder if there are any dynamo systems that have a USB plug in port as that would resolve your concerns with the phone/Garmin.

If there are some stops on the way where charging is an option, then a few high capacity battery's and output moderation would do the job without a dynamo set up.

mtbr member
    Bumm Luxos front light with integrated USB charger.

B + M headlight Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U senso plus with USB connector offers at the cycling shop Rose Bikes UK

Shimano now do a disc ready dyno hub too.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Great find znomit,, what a cool set up and clearly what FrancoisSouthAfrica needs. Never saw a set up like that before. Cheers!!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Another option
    Quote Originally Posted by ktronik View Post
    So the bike packing system I get asked for the most is:

kLite 850lm LED light w standlite (same as revo, as revo is a direct electronic circuit copy of the kLite system)

The AA battery pack is charged from the dynamo, the AA pack has USB outputs on it, and these charge the USB stuff. the battery pack runs the helmet light, and you can take the AAs out to run in your Etrex 20/30. if you get stuck and can't move/charge then you can put store bought AA battery in the holder to run the USB chargers.

why do we do it this way:

I work at a bike shop...I go for long rides...my mates started having problems, with directly connected USB chargers blowing, and killing GPS systems...so far my mates have killed all of the direct connect USB chargers they have tried.

For our use, if the GPS don't work, its game over when off road backpacking through the bush.

So we run etrex rather then edge 800, so we can run AA' batterys in them, and not have to charge the GPS on the go directly from the hub, via USB...also we can put store bought AA in it as well if we get stuck... you can then charge other USB stuff when you sleep, via the charged battery pack via USB.

The Standlite in the light is back up if you helmet light goes down, or not the charge to run. its runs the light when you stop or slow, great for the hike a bike sections...

I have had the bikepacker dudes tell me what they want and how they want it to work...then test if for 1000's of kms...then report, make better, and so on...well its kinda stopped changing...I guess its a simple system that just works, and avoids the issues with direct connect USB systems.

this is just how it all turned out, after testing for so long...its pretty full proof for all the stuff that could go wrong, and drop you in the sh*t.

its lighter than a battery system, given you replace the hub, and frees you from carrying way too many batterys, to keep you going for a long trip...

soon to come is new website / online shop, and High power (1644lm on paper @18.5km/h) dynamo powered light w dual heads and 6 LEDs, both tilt adjustable all in the micro format... here is what's been going out at the moment...

hope that helps,

Kerry

kLite.com.au

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by find_bruce View Post
    Another option

And add to that...
    Actually there are a fair few reports of the Luxos having reliability issues.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights