mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Self-contained, USB charged lights?

I'm looking for a bar-mount light for my wife to use commuting. She will be using a L&M Vis360 on her helmet. I'd like something self-contained (battery/light in one piece) and USB charged.

Basically, want to keep it as simple as possible for her. She's talked about commuting by bike for a few years, but never made the commitment because the whole thing seems a bit daunting (lights, packing clothes, etc, etc). A lighting solution that is easy to remove/install and doesn't require an external charger would help.

As noted, this is commuting-only (we have other systems for night riding), so doesn't need to be super-bright. 200 lumen should be enough (though more is better).

Any options?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    take a look at Niterider,
    http://www.niterider.com/prod_minewt250.shtml

or
    http://www.niterider.com/prod_minmini150usb.shtml
    that one you can mount on helmet.

need more light,
    you can get 2x

----
    USB sounds good, but you'd still need a cable,
    might as well just get 2 chargers,...
    commute would be usually less that an 1 hr each,
    as such, even a Lupine Piko, can do it without recharging,...
    ----
    here is one from germany, a commuter,...
    and he wants to recharge only 1x week !
    yes battery is much bigger, like a large waterbottle,
    and he is happy, to charge it on the weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rschultz101
    USB sounds good, but you'd still need a cable,
    might as well just get 2 chargers,...
    commute would be usually less that an 1 hr each,
    as such, even a Lupine Piko, can do it without recharging,...
    Sure, but she already has USB cables all over the place (cell, GPS, laptop, etc, etc). Having a contained, USB-charged light just makes it incrementally easier to commute by bike. She's busy (job, kid, university) and not having to keep track of multiple chargers is good (I have 4 light systems with 4 different chargers - that would make her crazy).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crack Monkey
    I'm looking for a bar-mount light for my wife to use commuting. She will be using a L&M Vis360 on her helmet. I'd like something self-contained (battery/light in one piece) and USB charged.

Basically, want to keep it as simple as possible for her. She's talked about commuting by bike for a few years, but never made the commitment because the whole thing seems a bit daunting (lights, packing clothes, etc, etc). A lighting solution that is easy to remove/install and doesn't require an external charger would help.

As noted, this is commuting-only (we have other systems for night riding), so doesn't need to be super-bright. 200 lumen should be enough (though more is better).

Any options?
    There is the NiteRider MiNewt 250 and the CygoLite ExpiliOn 250. Both look to offer about the same and can be USB charged. You might look to the review section to see which one is better. Hope this helps

Motobecane Pilot
    Jan 2004