I like turtles

Are self-contained lights the way of the future?

Just picked up a Light & Motion Urban 500 for $60 off the Amazon for use on urban-type CX rides etc. Man, it's small and light and bright! They make 1000 lumen versions for $130. Issue to me is the run time at 1.5 hours vs. more traditional lights like my Gemini kit that will run for 3+ hours. What do you guys think of the current crop of self-contained lights? These L&Ms sure like high-quality.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro are #@$%

mtbr member
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Just picked up a Light & Motion Urban 500 for $60 off the Amazon for use on urban-type CX rides etc. Man, it's small and light and bright! They make 1000 lumen versions for $130. Issue to me is the run time at 1.5 hours vs. more traditional lights like my Gemini kit that will run for 3+ hours. What do you guys think of the current crop of self-contained lights? These L&Ms sure like high-quality.
    1.5 hr. runtime just doesn't work for me either. Luckily there are lots of options currently for self-contained with increased runtimes. All the Ituo self-contained lights will run over 2 hrs. on a charge. I own a Wiz20 which has the shortest runtime of ituo's lights @ 2:15 but it makes about 1400 actual lumens so I use 50% power most of the time and have gotten more than 4 hrs on it before the battery light turned red. My other self-contained lights include a Ravemen PR900 (2.5 hrs. on high), a 250 lumen $20 Rokkes (4 hrs. on high) and a Taz1500 (1.5 hrs. on high) that never gets used because of the short runtime and a few other issues. Gloworm's CX lights run about 2.5 hrs. and I'm sure there's more out there.
    Mole

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Small, self contained and high lumen output limits run times. Slightly larger (oval shaped versus a more round flashlight look) have 2 cells in them increasing the run time dramatically.

Batteries are the limiting factor here. Self contained with larger lumens and long run times get BIG, look at exposures big lights.

Which is why separate packs are advantageous. Move the bulk of the weight down and into a less stressed mounting location.

And self contained on the helmet will never be that great. The small lights are the extent of self contained that will work. The big ones are way too heavy. So the ones with separate packs will never take a back seat to self contained (more than they already do), if for nothing more than powerful helmet lights with long runtimes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com