mtbr member
    Nov 2007

SECA Light on POC Trabec Helmet

Just picked up a Light & Motion SECA 1400 light and a POC Trabec helmet.
    Given the helmet's hole layout, I'm having a hard time coming up with a mounting postion that I'm happy with.

If I run the velco strap from side to side, it's not long enough to engage the hook and loop sections of the strap. (Is it me, or is the strap layout a bit odd?)

If I run the the strap fore/aft, there's not a big enough flat surface for the mount to sit on, so it tends to rock back and forth.

I'm not against taking a Dremel to my brand new helmet, buuuuut...

Anyone else have this combo?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I just lost the last hour of my life dealing with the same situation.

Did you find a suitable solution?

I have the same helmet, with the new SECA & Stella lights. The mounts are identical - and identically "not ideal" in length/ratio/setup.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I did not find a great solution. I ran the velcro strap in the fore/aft direction and it sort of works. Doesn't seem that secure, and not happy with the position of the light. I don't do many night rides, but if I did, I'd use a different helmet. Post up if you come up with something good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    I did not find a great solution. I ran the velcro strap in the fore/aft direction and it sort of works. Doesn't seem that secure, and not happy with the position of the light. I don't do many night rides, but if I did, I'd use a different helmet. Post up if you come up with something good.
    Another direct mounting opportunity with the POC. It seems the Seca with it's quarter circle mount should fit towards the front of the Trabec. The strap will be stretched but should fit. If not, use thin zip tie to extend it to the hook. You may need to add 3M VHB double sided tape on the rubber since the stretched strap may pull the light upwards every now and then.

If this helmet is used specifically for night riding then Option B would be to remove the mounting of the Seca altogether and apply 3M VHB between it and the helmet. It will hold the light permanently in position so you need to get the angle right before sticking it on.

SECA Light on POC Trabec Helmet-wxqw.jpg

SECA Light on POC Trabec Helmet-jxg5.jpg
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

Magically Delicious
    Initially I had the same mounting problem, although I have a DiNotte XML-3, I suspect the mounting is similar. I had trouble trying to mount the light on the forward part of the helmet. It just didn't seem secure. It would wobble fore and aft. Initially, I thought I would have to mount this on my previous helmet for night rides, but I have found I'm very pleased with this mounting.

With hesitation, I relocated it back thinking this would be funky, but to my surprise, it works great. In fact it seems to have better balance mounted farther back towards the crown of the helmet. I still have full articulation, which is mandatory, because depending on my ride, I'm always adjusting the light up or down.

SECA Light on POC Trabec Helmet-img_6565.jpg

SECA Light on POC Trabec Helmet-img_6567.jpg
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X