mtbr member
    Nov 2012

SECA clone from LM (review)

I think there are a lot fo people here who want to see how the seca clone performs.

The light is deeply cheaply made with a lot of plastic, even the reflector is plastic. The fins at the back of the light are from aluminium. The heat transfer seems working well and I felt very skeptical here. The mount seems ok and the head can be rotated/aimed to the sides if one wants to. The head is about 112grams with a long 22AWG cable that may take some of the mass also

The UI is high-low-disco-off cycle with about 0.9A on high and 0.2A on low (power supply DMM output). It is a dissapointment here. The light can handle a lot more heat on high. The power switch has a green led that blinks at about ~6.7V. I used a dgital power supply - RC hobby charger Equilibrium 3.5 that can do about 50W of adjustable voltage/current combination.

The LEDs are some really unknown brand type and definitely not the samsung 3535 / LH351A. Garry posted a link about the LED type in 2014 cheap-o lights thread - 3535 Sili-A35WX-A WHITE LED and to me is this manufacturer and type unknown. Samsungs 3535 should be gold/brass colored.

I don't own seca so can't compare. but I expect seca to be many times better. We have CW 6-up led light that is underpowered, cools pretty nice and has a sort of elliptical beam pattern with a hotspot. Sorry I post beamshots later b/c I already feel aspleep at almost 0:00AM. I'd like to futher research what limit the leds have. If the led limit is 1.5A we still have 5W leds inside to play with. It would be fine to have around 20W of power here and a different UI with three modes w/o disco. The reflector and other plastic can cope with the heat when moving as well. A good clone or not? Each to his own. I like the seca design, like the dimensions and weight but don't like the power drawn and unknow led type. Maybe guys here can research what can be improved. My thoughts are towards the R2 and R3 resistors and I see a 3A diode and U1 LEDA 1406, big FET and a decent inductor on the back of the PCB. Sure a nice place to play here and pull some 2A @ 8V I noticed using the power supply the light pulled 0.9A on high from 6 to 8.4V. Assuming the supplys DMM is OK.

SECA clone from LM (review)-img_20150218_085443.jpgSECA clone from LM (review)-img_20150218_085459.jpgSECA clone from LM (review)-img_20150218_090103.jpgSECA clone from LM (review)-img_20150218_090133.jpg
    SECA clone from LM (review)-img_20150218_213627.jpgSECA clone from LM (review)-img_20150218_213635.jpgSECA clone from LM (review)-img_20150218_214509.jpgSECA clone from LM (review)-img_20150218_215544.jpgSECA clone from LM (review)-img_20150218_215706.jpgSECA clone from LM (review)-img_20150218_215759.jpgSECA clone from LM (review)-img_20150218_215810.jpg
    Last edited by MK96; 02-19-2015 at 02:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Hmm . . . disappointment but expected at that price. Can the body even be used as a host? Throw in some XM-L2's maybe mix some XP-G2's (upper 3). Probably not worth the effort.

Thanks for taking one for the team anyway!

-Garry

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the review.

Interesting. I always liked the idea of having one led pointed slightly downwards to illuminate the area near the tire. How's the brightness on this compared to the Yinding or Solarstorm X2?

From the pictures it looks like the led's are mounted on the driver board and the back of the board rests against the five alumimum heat-sink posts. Is that right? I wonder if that's a good design. It seems like all the heat generated by the led's might overheat/fry the circuit components.

mtbr member

I've got a SECA 900. I'll see if I can compare it. I've never had it open so no idea how easy it will come apart.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    R2 and R3 should be sense resistors. Can't see very clearly, but if they are R200 then in paralell we get 0.100ohm. Giving LEDA chip has 0.25 sense voltage this should give 2.5A of output current. This is probably divided between 3 leds giving 2S3P string. Can't see traces for the leds. They are very likely on the other side of the board.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Mk96, thanks for review! You've saved me from temptation of buying it...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    Hmm . . . disappointment but expected at that price. Can the body even be used as a host? Throw in some XM-L2's maybe mix some XP-G2's (upper 3). Probably not worth the effort.

Thanks for taking one for the team anyway!

-Garry
    Yep, thanks. The leds can be replaced for XP-L, XP-G or other 3-3.5mm. I think it wont be a problem. Anyway I like the design but for $11 you can get an X2

Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Thanks for the review.

Interesting. I always liked the idea of having one led pointed slightly downwards to illuminate the area near the tire. How's the brightness on this compared to the Yinding or Solarstorm X2?

From the pictures it looks like the led's are mounted on the driver board and the back of the board rests against the five alumimum heat-sink posts. Is that right? I wonder if that's a good design. It seems like all the heat generated by the led's might overheat/fry the circuit components.
    Beamshots are coming this evening. The heat transfer seems to work quite fine, the heatsink posts are touching the board nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by ledoman View Post
    R2 and R3 should be sense resistors. Can't see very clearly, but if they are R200 then in paralell we get 0.100ohm. Giving LEDA chip has 0.25 sense voltage this should give 2.5A of output current. This is probably divided between 3 leds giving 2S3P string. Can't see traces for the leds. They are very likely on the other side of the board.
    Yes something like that I had on my mind. But the limit is the diode(3A) if the leds are in 2S3P. This gives less space to play with. We can add another diode or replace for a bigger one.

Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    Mk96, thanks for review! You've saved me from temptation of buying it...
    You're welcome

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Forgot to write the UI is switching very smoothly between the modes. It ramps up and down to the next mode depending on the current.

mtbr member
    MK, are you able to estimate the lumen output on high? I see potential for this lamp. The problem is the Chinese seem to always find a way to under-power the larger LED arrays. Would be nice if there was a way to copy the driver board and replace with something with more power output coupled with a better UI. Damn, if this thing could pump out 1800 lumen I might be willing to take a look at one. Looking forward to beam shots.

Could be this lamp is using some new Chinese proto-type LED's. Then again it might be using some old school Luxeon Rebels. Might be worth asking the seller if they know what LED's are being used. Very sad that it only has two steady modes.

One thing I do know for sure. I'm very sure the L&M people are very unhappy about this new Chinese Clone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    MK, are you able to estimate the lumen output on high? I see potential for this lamp. The problem is the Chinese seem to always find a way to under-power the larger LED arrays. Would be nice if there was a way to copy the driver board and replace with something with more power output coupled with a better UI. Damn, if this thing could pump out 1800 lumen I might be willing to take a look at one. Looking forward to beam shots.

Could be this lamp is using some new Chinese proto-type LED's. Then again it might be using some old school Luxeon Rebels. Might be worth asking the seller if they know what LED's are being used. Very sad that it only has two steady modes.

One thing I do know for sure. I'm very sure the L&M people are very unhappy about this new Chinese Clone.
    I don't find myself very confident estimating the lumens right now. We'll see from beam shots taken from the usual place with the same settings without trees with leaves though. My humble estimated output can be about the half of the X2(16W from battery).
    The light has potential, but considering the price of 6 XP-L/G I'm bit doubtful. I would like to figure out the led configuration and do some measurements with a DMM. Anyway I wouldn't copy the board instead copy the led arrangement and make a MCPCB and use a driver that fits the space and is know to work well.

I ask the LM stuff if they know something more about the mysterious leds.

Yes L&M is unhappy for sure. OTOH the unmodded clone itself is crappy and the original might be many many times better.

mtbr member

Here is the inside of a SECA 900:

SECA clone from LM (review)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1424396549.543337.jpg
    SECA clone from LM (review)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1424396566.258914.jpg
    SECA clone from LM (review)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1424396587.561150.jpg
    SECA clone from LM (review)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1424396603.261886.jpg
    SECA clone from LM (review)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1424396618.682416.jpg
    SECA clone from LM (review)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1424396638.098786.jpg
    SECA clone from LM (review)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1424396685.686139.jpg
    SECA clone from LM (review)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1424396720.689258.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm surprised how close the clone is to the original.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    SECA 900 has Cree XP-E leds and quite different circuit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Maybe a nice basic for experiments..

Found yesterday, a german engineer likes it, too

Stripped HDNA
    on MTBR-News.de

for he likes also Yinding he made new PCBs for both..great stuff

Licht - HDNA and Yinding reengineered

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    But still it is very very close to the original! Yes different components, but for one that doesn't know the details it is hard to find the differences. Anyway I took beam hots and post 'em here in a while.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That one seems very different to mine. Brown PCB and looks like it comes with true samsung 3535s.

Quote Originally Posted by bianchifan View Post
    Maybe a nice basic for experiments..

Found yesterday, a german engineer likes it, too

Stripped HDNA
    on MTBR-News.de

for he likes also Yinding he made new PCBs for both..great stuff

Licht - HDNA and Yinding reengineered

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    That one seems very different to mine. Brown PCB and looks like it comes with true samsung 3535s.
    He got the same PCB as your's, the green one.
    But he made his own with a heart by STM32 on a repstrapped(?) PCB.

And yes, he took Samsung LEDs

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    All with MTBR settings (camera Sony a3000)

control shot
    SECA clone from LM (review)-control.jpg

Seca clone (unknown led type) low & high
    SECA clone from LM (review)-secac-1-low.jpg
    SECA clone from LM (review)-secac-2-hi.jpg

7UP(XM-L T6, not the TR D014)
    SECA clone from LM (review)-7up-1-low.jpg
    SECA clone from LM (review)-7up-2-med.jpg
    SECA clone from LM (review)-7up-3-hi.jpg

silver KD880 clone (XM-L T6) low, medium, high
    SECA clone from LM (review)-kd880-1-low.jpg
    SECA clone from LM (review)-kd880-2-med.jpg
    SECA clone from LM (review)-kd880-3-hi.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Anyway the thermal path seems to work also by the original. I just can't figure out why the heck is this clone so underpowered by the components. Seca 900 utilizes larger diode. Yes it has way more components than the clone ... but still the heatsink can stand twice the amount of heat.

And a comparo of the lights on the bars:

SECA clone from LM (review)-img_20150219_195624.jpg
    SECA clone from LM (review)-img_20150219_195736.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for venturing out in the cold to take all those beam shots, kuzmami, you're a true sport!

That Seca clone's light is kinda cool... I mean it's not too hot. Uh-oh, just making a mess of things here...

BTW, are you back to your first 7X, and not using the TrustFire anymore? Was it too heavy or something? Inquiring minds and all that. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrist View Post
    Thanks for venturing out in the cold to take all those beam shots, kuzmami, you're a true sport!

That Seca clone's light is kinda cool... I mean it's not too hot. Uh-oh, just making a mess of things here...

BTW, are you back to your first 7X, and not using the TrustFire anymore? Was it too heavy or something? Inquiring minds and all that. Thanks again!
    Thanks! For me is the clone a slight letdown. The expectations were it can deliver about 12-14W of power and a sense resistor can push it a bit higher (let's say 20W).

Yep I am back to my dual 7X (mounted on two cateye holders on the bars) and sold the TF D014. Same power, less mass (smaller body), more space on the bars and still the same efficient cooling (leds attached to the body).

mtbr member
    Would be nice if maybe Gearbest could get hold of the factory that is making the ( Seca Clone ) lamp, have them re-engineer the PCB ( more power and more modes ) and then have them use the better Cree LED's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Time for GJHS to chime in

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    Time for GJHS to chime in
    Wait, he's busy with Fenix box now...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Oh I know that already