Thread: Seca 900

American Icon

Seca 900

Did anyone else get a chance to talk to L&M at the Sea Otter? They are coming out with a Seca that has upgraded Led's... they will now have a Seca 900, 700 and 400 in the line-up!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Does anyone have any details on exactly what area of the overall beam pattern is brighter on the Seca 900? In other words, are all 6 LEDs equally brighter, or did they put more weight on the area close to the bike, or the area down the trail?

Personally, I think the Seca 700 throws plenty of light down the trail, so in my opinion the best use of the "extra 200 lumens" of the 900 would be to put a greater amount of diffused light in the areas close to and to the sides of the bike. This would provide more light for close-in, technical riding and around tight corners, which is where the 700 could be better. I do use a helmet light to augment a Seca 700 that I use on my bars, but more light from the "main" light would still be a very welcome addition.

Also, has any timetable been announced for the 900? The information I've seen so far just says "2009," but I don't know if that means any day now, or if it's still several months away.

Thanks for any info on this,

Larry
    Last edited by lalittle; 05-10-2009 at 04:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I found out the answer to my own question.

I was told by Light and Motion that the entire light spread of the Seca 900 is evenly brighter. In other words, the actual "light spread/beam pattern" is exactly the same as the 700 -- it's just brighter. The "extra light" is not concentrated in any one area.

They also said that the settings would remain unchanged (normal and race modes), and that the relative difference between modes would be the same as the 700 -- i.e. medium would be approximately half as bright as high mode, and low would be approximated half as bright as medium. Each mode would therefore be the the same "percentage" brighter than the same mode on the 700.

The 900 would also be offered in the same two packages -- race and ultra -- and the batteries will be the same as the ones in the 700 packages.

It sounds like the release date will be sometime this summer, no later than August, but possibly by July.

On a related note, the beam pattern photos on the MTBR "light review/shootout" pages still appear to be messed up for the Seca 700. The Seca 700 photo you see on the Seca 700 review page is not the same photo you see on the "comparison/rollover" page -- the cone shadows are longer on the rollover page, and more importantly, the light is a LOT less bright. I compared the "Light On 900" photos on the two different pages, and they appear to be the same. Could someone possibly check into this?

Larry

mtbr member
    I wonder if they've fixed the helmet mount. As mentioned by others, it slides or tilts downward.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    According to L&M when I spoke with them a few weeks ago, the ONLY difference to this light is the extra brightness. Everything else is the same.

I found that with the handlbar mount, I was able to stop it from tilting down by putting a strip of rubber around the bar where the light mounts. The extra thickness, combined with the extra "stickiness" of the rubber strip, prevent slipping (as long as I make it really tight.)

Larry

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lalittle
    According to L&M when I spoke with them a few weeks ago, the ONLY difference to this light is the extra brightness. Everything else is the same.

I found that with the handlbar mount, I was able to stop it from tilting down by putting a strip of rubber around the bar where the light mounts. The extra thickness, combined with the extra "stickiness" of the rubber strip, prevent slipping (as long as I make it really tight.)

Larry
    My Seca's rubber strap was starting to show cracks, so I said "the heck with their stupid rubber strap," and bolted the Seca light head to a DiNotte 600L handlebar mount.

American Icon

Strap and cracks

While talking to them at sea otter, they mentioned that some straps lacked a UV inhibitor and may crack. Call them and most likely they will take care of you.

Also (myself included) many people don't use the strap properly and don't loop it like it was designed to do... Thus it slips... When I finally started to do it properly, the problem diminshed greatly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender Roads
    While talking to them at sea otter, they mentioned that some straps lacked a UV inhibitor and may crack. Call them and most likely they will take care of you.
    They probably would, but I'm still disappointed in their mount setup. So was my co-worker, who had one of their previous lights with the decent mounts. You'd think that for a $600+ system, they could make a mount at least as versatile and durable as, say, NiteRider's universal mount.

For those who'd like to try the mount setup I'm using, get one of these mounts, unbolt the existing "shoe" from the handlebar clamp, unbolt your Seca head from its stock mount, and bolt the Seca head onto this handlebar clamp (use some blue Loctite on the threads of the bolt).

If you do this, do not try to change the aim by levering on the Seca's head. Release the bar clamp's QR and adjust the aim, then flip it locked again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

seca 700 or seca 900

i have the 700 and considering on upgrading the light head to a 900 - anyone using the 900 or compared to the 700