mtbr member

Runtime Test 2 x 3 XM-L sharing a 2 x 32650 battery

Did this test after the discussion on estimated runtimes of a 5 x XM-L light from a single driver. Here we have 2 light heads, with 3 XM-L T6s from 2 separate drivers. Light heads are connected via a Y cable to a battery. This will drain/strain the battery. I tried to test it using the Xeccon hard shell 6600mAh battery but the lights shut off in a few seconds after I turn on the second light. I had to use the battery that comes with the light heads. Cat or the DIY boys can chime in about the difference between these two battery configurations. It is said the 32650s are better for high current set ups.

This battery is a 2 x 32650 opposed to the usual 6 x 18650. On a twin XM-L U2 light, the difference in runtime is 2 hours 15 mins for the 2 x 32560 and 2 hours 30 mins for the Xeccon 6 x 18650 soft pack. The lights signal near depletion at 1 hour 38 mins and total shutdown 2 mins later. Not bad from 6 x XM-L T6s. These triple (or more) XM-Ls are quite obviously not driven to the max but these kind of 3 x XM-L lights will challenge current twin XM-L brightness with much better efficiency. The runtimes prove that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Runtime Test 2 x 3 XM-L sharing a 2 x 32650 battery-nb-08-x-2.jpg  

Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    A tri-clone lamp draws about 2.2A from the battery. Two in parallel would draw 4.4A. Quite possible the PCB in the hard shell battery has a current cut-off point that is kicking in. That's a pretty low cut-off point for a battery like this. I would of expected about 6A.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    A tri-clone lamp draws about 2.2A from the battery. Two in parallel would draw 4.4A. Quite possible the PCB in the hard shell battery has a current cut-off point that is kicking in. That's a pretty low cut-off point for a battery like this. I would of expected about 6A.
    Hey Cat, I was about to confess I made a mistake with the battery mentioned. The battery supplied with the ToBest light 3 XM-L wasn't 2 x 32650. It looked every bit like it from the outside. I plugged my personal 2 x 32650 to run them rather than using a new battery and... the lights cut off too - what the? What is going on? I removed the battery from the pouch and partially lifted the weatherproof rubber boot to examine it. It's something else inside. We were told there's something different with this particular battery but didn't think it was anything beyond the waterproof screw plug.

Just came back from a ride and used the Y cable to run the 2 lights on the bars. No problems whatsoever running them this way. Also, I can't say the 3 XM-L light I have here are identical to the tri-clone you have. Will do the partial tear down tomorrow and see if it's worthy to be listed in your battery thread.
    Last edited by mtbRevolution; 03-10-2013 at 05:51 AM.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeccon View Post
    Also, I can't say the 3 XM-L light I have here are identical to the tri-clone you have. Will do the partial tear down tomorrow and see if it's worthy to be listed in your battery thread.
    If the one's you have operate by using just 1-2 or 3 LED's at a time than more than likely they have the same output. I'll be getting a "Y" cord soon. I hope to try running two lamps with the Xeccon 6-cell battery. I hope it works.

mtbr member
    We were told there's something different with this particular battery but didn't think it was anything beyond the waterproof screw plug.
    Will let the pictures do the talking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Runtime Test 2 x 3 XM-L sharing a 2 x 32650 battery-2-x-nb-08.jpg  

Runtime Test 2 x 3 XM-L sharing a 2 x 32650 battery-tobest-connector.jpg  

Runtime Test 2 x 3 XM-L sharing a 2 x 32650 battery-not-32650.jpg  

Runtime Test 2 x 3 XM-L sharing a 2 x 32650 battery-unwrapping-tobest-battery.jpg  

Runtime Test 2 x 3 XM-L sharing a 2 x 32650 battery-tobest-battery-specs.jpg  

Runtime Test 2 x 3 XM-L sharing a 2 x 32650 battery-lithium-polymer-tobest-battery.jpg  

Runtime Test 2 x 3 XM-L sharing a 2 x 32650 battery-lithium-polymer-tobest-battery-2.jpg  

Runtime Test 2 x 3 XM-L sharing a 2 x 32650 battery-lithium-polymer-tobest-battery-3.jpg  

Runtime Test 2 x 3 XM-L sharing a 2 x 32650 battery-lithium-polymer-tobest-battery-4.jpg  

Runtime Test 2 x 3 XM-L sharing a 2 x 32650 battery-lithium-polymer-tobest-battery-5.jpg  

mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Whats the cost and Where do I sign up?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whitefro View Post
    Whats the cost and Where do I sign up?
    We'll ask them the questions and get back to you soon. Be forwarned though, shipping batteries is a real hassle lately.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Len, those ToBest lights are probably nothing like the tri-clone lamps as the ones you have look a bit more refined. Quite possible they draw more current than our cheap Tri-clones. Are you going to be selling those?

Those 6000mAh Li-Po batteries you have look interesting. Would be real nice if you sold those with a compatible MS plug. Not to mention Li-Po batteries are usually able to handle much more current than standard Li-ion cells.

mtbr member
    Len, those ToBest lights are probably nothing like the tri-clone lamps as the ones you have look a bit more refined. Quite possible they draw more current than our cheap Tri-clones. Are you going to be selling those?

Those 6000mAh Li-Po batteries you have look interesting. Would be real nice if you sold those with a compatible MS plug. Not to mention Li-Po batteries are usually able to handle much more current than standard Li-ion cells.
    Hi Cat, yes we are selling those in the other website ( my signature reads ..+ beyond ). There was a gap since we are no longer stocking MS products. Turning our backs on the MJ-880U hurts but, life goes on. We needed a replacement light that's well built, bright and durable. XecconLight is still working on the 2 x XM-L(2?) light, and a host of other lights I've mentioned before. They are busy working on them but these things take time. So when ToBest/Inton showed us their new 3 x XM-L light, we banked on it. They have never let us down with their light heads ever. XecconLight is cool with us using, testing and being upfront about products, whether it's theirs or not. All of us, including manufacturers have a lot to learn.

I will show a couple of close up shots of the NB-08. The anodizing is like the NB-02. They are superb.

We will be getting the LiPo batteries in MS type connectors. Now, if we are able to ship it from our office in China, transit 10 days from order with a price tag of USD 75.00 delivered to mainland USA, how many hands up do we have? BTW, the 6000mAh LiPo pack is 261 grams with the boot.

You can imagine my surprise when I unwrapped the blue shrink wrap, and yes, I DID slice the foil with my box cutter but did not puncture it. Lesson to be learnt, if it's LiPo, don't use blades to remove wrappings. That battery is charging and working fine but I have to pay more attention to it when charging since I may have compromised it.

Faye is looking into Panasonics in special Xeccon batteries. Will do it if the end price is attractive. We are aiming for 3400mAh cells, correct? I've also suggest she go LiPo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Runtime Test 2 x 3 XM-L sharing a 2 x 32650 battery-tobest-nb-08-close-1.jpg  

Runtime Test 2 x 3 XM-L sharing a 2 x 32650 battery-tobest-nb-08-close-2.jpg  

Runtime Test 2 x 3 XM-L sharing a 2 x 32650 battery-tobest-nb-08-close-3.jpg  

Last edited by mtbRevolution; 03-12-2013 at 04:35 AM. Reason: typo: with, not will
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Faye is looking into Panasonics in special Xeccon batteries. Will do it if the end price is attractive. We are aiming for 3400mAh cells, correct?
    Please do it! That would be really great to get from 4 cell battery cell as much as currently possible. Especially, that these Panasonics are available from ~$7.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hi Cat, yes we are selling those in the other website ( my signature reads ..+ beyond ).
    If you don't mind me asking what is the "other website" where you sell these batteries?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ubrv8 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking what is the "other website" where you sell these batteries?

Thanks
    ...my $0.02....The ToBest ( Inton ) triple is being sold on the MagicShineAU website. The Li-po battery comes with the lamp. I don't see it listed separately yet. I think we are going to have to wait till his supplier comes through with the plugs we are all looking for.

Len, can you tell us the run time of the triple you are selling ( with the 6000mAh Li-Po )?
    What is the mode arrangement of the ToBest....separate LED's on/off or full LED dimming?

mtbr member
    This is very interesting, Leonard!

...my $0.02....The ToBest ( Inton ) triple is being sold on the MagicShineAU website. The Li-po battery comes with the lamp. I don't see it listed separately yet. I think we are going to have to wait till his supplier comes through with the plugs we are all looking for.

Len, can you tell us the run time of the triple you are selling ( with the 6000mAh Li-Po )?
    What is the mode arrangement of the ToBest....separate LED's on/off or full LED dimming?
    I wanted to ask the same thing when I took a quick look in this thread this morning. I actually came here to ask that.
    This could be an interesting bundle.

mtbr member

Yes we are waiting for stock in hand before we post availability. We have ordered and the ETA is about 2 weeks time. Just working out how many to leave in the office in China and how many to come to AU.

The runtime test is posted in The Battery Thread 2013 a few days ago. I ran 4 sets and the results are 3: 14, 3: 23, 3: 25 and 3: 26.

The modes are Hi > Med > Low > Strobe > Off. Its full/all 3 LED dimming. The low is very low.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Mount?

Yes we are waiting for stock in hand before we post availability. We have ordered and the ETA is about 2 weeks time. Just working out how many to leave in the office in China and how many to come to AU.

The runtime test is posted in The Battery Thread 2013 a few days ago. I ran 4 sets and the results are 3: 14, 3: 23, 3: 25 and 3: 26.

The modes are Hi > Med > Low > Strobe > Off. Its full/all 3 LED dimming. The low is very low.
    Leonard,
    Will you be selling that mount separately and will it work with other Xeccon lights?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ubrv8 View Post
    Leonard,
    Will you be selling that mount separately and will it work with other Xeccon lights?
    Thanks
    Hi ubrv8, do you mean the center mount shown here? That mount is made in Melbourne by our customer Nick who owns AeroSpec Engineering. Its not cheap and I hope you're sitting down. It cost us AUD 75. It can hold in excess of 1kg of lights without moving a micron.

Yes the NB-08 is compatible and interchangeable with Xeccon batteries and chargers vice versa.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    [QUOTE=Xeccon;10238281]Hi ubrv8, do you mean the center mount shown here? That mount is made in Melbourne by our customer Nick who owns AeroSpec Engineering. Its not cheap and I hope you're sitting down. It cost us AUD 75. It can hold in excess of 1kg of lights without moving a micron.
    /QUOTE]

I have 2 MS 808E lights and was looking for a good way to center mount them, the NB-08 mount looks awesome, but a little out of my budget.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    This ought to fit your budget

Action-LED-Lights — Computer / Headlight Mount

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    This ought to fit your budget

Action-LED-Lights Computer / Headlight Mount
    Sweet Mayor. I just picked one up. It looks like a great option.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
    Sweet Mayor. I just picked one up. It looks like a great option.
    As did I. This should solve the problem Ive been having with my shifter cables casting a huge shadow on the trail (Shimano 105).