Thread: Roxim M6

mtbr member

Roxim M6

ROXIM PRODUCTS

so basically this is a Taiwanese knock-off of the Busch & Muller Ixon IQ speed, but interestingly it doesn't have any dead spot in front of the bike, so it may actually be closer to IQ2 than IQ.

also unlike B&M the battery pack is Lithium ( claims Sanyo cells )

the price is not particularly compelling as it is only slightly cheaper than the real Ixon IQ Speed but it does have a very cool beam pattern.

based on the fact that they claim 6 hours battery life from 2 lithium cells i would estimate about 250 lumens. of course you would probably want to use two of them, so that would make it about 500 lumens.

looks like an interesting light.

the price i saw was $119 Canadian dollars, so the price is similar to Philips SafeRide, however the batttery capacity is 50% higher.

mtbr member
    actually a saw a comparison between their mid-range "5" model and SafeRide and the Roxim isn't even close. according to their claims the Roxim should have been 55 Lux vs 80 for SafeRide but the SafeRide looks 3X brighter. so 2 x M6 would still be only as bright as a single SafeRide, but for double the $. the battery life will definitely be longer, but the dishonesty by itself to me is enough to pass it up.

mtbr member
    ok i see what they did there - they have a trapezoidal shaped artifact in the beam pattern which they masked by finding a road of the same shape to demonstrate it on. that's cheating in my book. forget it. i'm sorry i brought it up.

you know their pricing is so bold - much higher than any chinese lights - i thought maybe this company is different from other chinese companies - but i can see now, chinese is chinese.

when i was shopping for spoke lights i came across a chinese company Anvii which was more expensive than both my Amerian-Made MonkeyLectric and my American-Made Bike After Dark spoke lights and i was like - wow - a chinese spoke light for $200 ? what could possibly be the deal ? in the end it turned out it was basically a knock off of a 10 year old $20 american light, called Hokey Spokes.

it seems the Chinese have finally figured out that sometimes people will not buy a product simply because it is too cheap. so they started offering products as expensive as ones made in US and Germany, but with the same horrible chinese quality as before.

buyer beware ...

in the mean time, i will continue waiting for Busch & Muller to release a Lithium LED light.

mtbr member
    I looked at a video of this lamp on Youtube ( static photo's ) Interesting but I see too many artifacts in the beam pattern close to the bike. If the beam pattern was devoid of "close in shadow-like artifacts", more evenly spread and twice as bright it might be worth the money.
    When they showed a comparison with a 300 lumen torch, the torch just blew it away ( IMO ).

What I don't understand is why they list "Lux" for lamps like this. Without a reference to distance "Lux" means nothing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I looked at a video of this lamp on Youtube ( static photo's ) Interesting but I see too many artifacts in the beam pattern close to the bike. If the beam pattern was devoid of "close in shadow-like artifacts", more evenly spread and twice as bright it might be worth the money.
    When they showed a comparison with a 300 lumen torch, the torch just blew it away ( IMO ).

What I don't understand is why they list "Lux" for lamps like this. Without a reference to distance "Lux" means nothing.
    the pattern is quite good. it has more artifacts than competition but on the other hand the coverage is more even than the competition except B&M IQ2 ( which is Dynamo and E-Bike only right now ) and B&M Big Bang ( $750 HID system with only a single power level ). the real competitors of this light ( Philips SafeRide, B&M Ixon IQ and B&M Ixon IQ Speed ) all have a pattern with a bit of a dead spot right in front of the bike. SafeRide and IQ both have a main patch of light, and a secondary half-ring of light, with a dead zone in between. The Roxim M6 doesn't have that - it has continuous coverage, which is what makes it interesting. It is the only battery powered LED light on the market right now that can do this.

unfortunately it is so dim that it is really one continuous dead spot, rather than continuous coverage.

they list Lux because its made for the German market where lights are sold with Lux ratings instead of Lumen. i believe the measurements are at 10 meters. German regulations apparently specify how the measurement is to be done and all bikes in Germany must have a light that meets some minimum value there, in 2006 that value was 10 Lux, but they increase it from time to time.

by itself Lux is a meaningless measurement, but together with beam pattern it is meaningful, and the German government apparently tests both.

mtbr member
    My favorite light from Roxim is the D6 (for dynamo).

Who knows where I can purchase a Roxim light in Europe?