HBR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Which Roadie Light? Tesla 4 vs SECA 700

Just need some opinions or advice on which light to use on my roadie.* The primary use will be for road riding (training), mounted on the bars, mixture of of semi lit and unlit rural upto around 50kmh on descents. I may use it offroad in the future but don't own a mtn bike at present. Most night rides are no longer than 1.5 2hhrs.
    I am comparing the Lupine Tesla 4 and the L&M SECA 700. They are both about the same price when purchased online and shipped to Australia.
    One of my main concerns is I am running FSA K-Wing carbon Handlebars. I can't work out whether there is enough room to mount the lights in the available space. There is limited space right next to the stem due to the change in the section profile of the bar from round to ergonomic. Not sure which lights would fit best.
    Check out the photos below.

The Tesla, looks to be shipped with the handlebar bracket for 25.4mm bars. Will this also fit the 31.8mm bars. Does the Light Head Mounting Bracket have a user replacable O ring?
    Concerns with the SECA setup is the weight which looks to be about 200 grams heavier than the Tesla and it appears a bit bulkier?. Like the Tesla, I am not sure whether they will mount to the bars.*Have also read there are issues with how secure they mount and that they are prone to moving around ?*

What is the consensus on the*beam pattern. *The Tesla doesn't seem to be as wide at the midpoint as the SECA, Also the SECA has a "Race" mode.
    Has anyone directly compared or used both these lights and can comment on which provides the best light pattern, throw and spread for road use. Any other comments or relevant observations would be appreciated.
    Can I also throw in another option. The HOPE Vision 2 is also being considered. 480 Lumens, But only 2 hours runtime on Max? No Flash mode? Not sure of beam pattern as I*cant find any beam shots anywhere. I suspect it will be more flood than spot. However*I can get it $230 cheaper in $AU, it is compact and well built.
    I have been using a Dinotte Ultra 5 (120 Lumen) for the last 3 years.*So anything else will provide more usable light. Will probable have this light upgraded by Dinotte to current spec at a later date.

Any constructive comments and observations would be appreciated. Be gentle with me, this is my first post to this forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Mr. Britannica"
    you can get little doo-dads that allow more space to mount stuff

BBW
    mtbr member
    Hi HBR, welcome!

I use the Tesla and I can tell you that the O-ring can be replaced (just uncrew what holds it and throw your favorite size O-ring which are not difficult to get at some stores?)
    As far as pattern, the Tesla is VERY wide; I think that in a dark night it would cover the width of 4-6 lanes and as far as throw, this light is insane and my guess is more than 600 feet.
    It is super light, bright and tiny.

The L&M is an awesome light but bulkier and not sure if it pierce as far as the Tesla?

Both are great lights

Tesla: smaller, brighter, more throw? (I would think since is a P7 aiming forward instead of 6 aiming everywere)